Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
gently caress Chicago but I don't have a ton of faith in Nashville this year. They've looked really good at times but not that consistently. At they seem to be mostly healthy I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

fits posted:

four 1st overalls will make their playoff debuts this week making hall the only active 1st overall who hasnt been to the playoffs

hes also never finished on a team that got above 80 points

Are the Blues letting Yak City play again?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

how bout that tom wilson?

Thufir fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 14, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

oops, not gdt

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Also as a ref I can't loving stand "playoff rules" officiating standards. If the refs called he same game they did in reg season you'd arguably have even smoother flow of play than by easing off because guys would know they can't get away with garbage crosschecks and guys like Matt "I'm a stupid rear end in a top hat" Martin would help hand out water bottles.

Yes I'm mad about sports

"Let the boys play!!!"

*the boys get broken fingers and ribs from slashes, are unable to play*

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Most of the police-involved disturbances that I've heard of at Bridgestone Arena were drunken visiting Hawks fans.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

RC Cola posted:

It was like that in 2015 for sure

To be fair to Chicago fans, the arena location really encourages drunken tourists.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

So Calvert might not get suspended because the stick broke too easily? JFC, NHL it's not bad because the stick broke, it's that he crosschecked someone in the back of the neck because he was butthurt in garbage time.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Not that it makes it any better, but BizNasty just said on Twitter he rewatched it and the primary contact point was on the shoulder, not neck.

Still ugly.

Yeah I watched and it was, though IMO: not a hockey play + stick penalty + no meaningful in-game consequence should = suspension but nothing or a fine would probably be more consistent with how the NHL does things in the playoffs.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Calvert got one game

Thufir
May 19, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

How are the Predators dogs handling success???

Tugboat is pretty chill
http://imgur.com/a/wvNSn

Thufir
May 19, 2004

bizarre deformity posted:

I won't count the Hawks out just yet, but goddamn am I going to cherish this moment as long as I can. Great to see Rinne in top form after a mediocre regular season. Everyone has been solid in the defensive zone. What a series so far.

Game 1 felt like Nashville got pretty lucky but seemed like they were doing everything right tonight. Glad they were able to up their intensity for game 2.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

Obviously the solution to hockey helmets is to invent deflector shields so players can encase their head in a bubble of invisible energy that prevents all concussions and prevents all pucks from ever inflicting damage.

They can power them with poles sticking up from their back that connect to an electrified grid, bumper car style.

If they're like the defensive shields in Dune, which only block high-speed stuff, you could even still have fighting!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

whatis posted:

nashville's crowd is underrated. i went to a playoff game there like 4 years ago and its by far the raddest sports thing i've ever experienced. that arena was loving wild

I've now seen two playoff OT wins there and it is loving nuts and awesome.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Seems like Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson /PK-Ekholm just crushed Hossa - Toews - Schmaltz / Keith -Toftbo and most everybody else at least held their own, except Harry Z, who was terrible.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Harry Z seems like he's got some good north/south speed, which is why I would imagine they're keeping him in (and that goal) -- but I wonder if Parenteau gets a look soon. He's not hurt is he?

Yeah but that seems like his main attribute. I think Parenteau was a little banged up towards the end of the season but could probably go, though I think if Wilson got healthy he would be the preferred swap. I don't think McLeod or Salomaki get in this series unless things take a turn for the worse.

Gunjin posted:

So, Nashville fans, were there hints that maybe Trotz wasn't a good coach when he was with the Predators? He's getting clearly out-coached by Babock, which to be fair, would happen to most coaches, but not to this degree. He only iced Ovechkin for 15 minutes in what was the most important game of the season, and it's not like Ovechkin was playing poorly, he was maybe Washington's best forward last night. Until forced by injury to play him he sat his 5th best defensman (and one whose speed most ably matches up to Toronto) in favor of broken rear end Alzner, and old pylon Orpik. He's let Babcock dictate the line matchups, even on home ice. Seemingly the only adjustments he's made were to turtle with the lead last night, which as we can all see, didn't work so well.

Trotz has beaten Babcock in a playoff series before and won 156 regular season games in the last 3 seasons. He might not be making all the right moves but it's not incompetence.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Arvidsson is gonna get paiiiiid in the offseason.

Yuuup. Johansen too.

e: Arvvy is arbitration-eligible too.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 18, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

It's interesting because coming out of an ELC his comparables are like 3.5M$, but on 6 year terms - thinking Gallagher in particular. Add some measure of salary inflation and the preds might be able to get him locked in for like 4-4.5 per. That's probably where he should be. On the other hand, he just had a whale of a season and it looks like he might have a pretty exceptional playoff run. I don't see massive signs of regression, especially if they can lock down a top line of Forsberg - Johanssen - Arvidsson for the next 5 years, but it's always a bit risky buying long term on a guy after a season like this. I don't think anyone saw this coming.

Yeah, he had pretty good AHL numbers too and has a non-insane S% so seems like this year is not entirely a fluke. I'm sure his agent wants to file for arbitration and wait as late as possible for leverage so that'll probably be the nailbiter contract for Nashville this summer.

Also I'm glad Nashville has a decent number of picks this year to hopefully bribe Vegas into not taking Jarnkrok.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Captain Internet posted:

I love drop passes, no idea why. They are my favorite.

Man, you would love PK Subban on a PP breakout.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

This happened in Game 2(?) of TOR/WSH and you just knew they put Ovie in the box to set this exact thing up. Sure enough, away he went.

Yes, that ruled.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Fans getting their rear end beat too:

Similar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yootoZMCCOM

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Also great: LOL goals from center ice, empty-net own goals, when someone's blade falls off and they can't get off the ice, people getting checked into the other team's bench.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dang, I had forgotten that one. So great.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

Are we still posting things we like?

Related: Pre-Game fuckups

Condor in arena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMgS84qPjIw
Sharks mascot gets stuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29U5OocM_iU

I'd post the Sens gladiator but I can't subject myself to looking for it.

They don't put the cameraman there anymore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41cGopx4B-s

Thufir
May 19, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

PLAY THAT lovely MUSIC, WHITE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYS.

That is the first regulation playoff win in CBJ history.

Ended Ron Hainsey's undefeated playoff streak too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

It's funny how the decline of fighting has coincided with the rise of stick-swinging, as has been forewarned by Stan Fischler dating back to 1961. Sucker punching, grounding and pounding, and old-fashioned enforcing have been replaced by nasty slashing and stickwork that refs decide to not call in the playoffs, and nutshots that the league rarely suspends for because they're not currently facing lawsuits about their past neglect of.

I mean stickwork is unfortunate but probably still preferable to CTE in the long term.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Reminds me of this http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/04/red_wings_15.html

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Trip report: going to see the preds finish off the hawks was rad as hell

Thufir
May 19, 2004

iospace posted:

How loud is that place in person?

It's pretty rad. We sit in 303 which is the section that starts the chants so it's always pretty loud around us but you definitely start to feel the building shaking in the playoffs.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Congrats to the Oilers on being back, baby.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

So.. no jobs were lost?

edit: Does suck that people got fired though.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Something that I feel like happens a lot:

Pierre, enthusiastically: "Oh man, that was just like time [blah blah blah], right Eddie!?"

Everyone else: *awkward silence, then move on to something else.*

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Kevin Fiala died for our sins

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Left femur fracture for Fiala.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I think it's only the KHL that has had payment issues. German or Swiss leagues are probably pretty sweet gigs plus way less travel.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

No mention of the psychopath riding the horse with his firearm, though.

Yeah it's a bit of a sore spot http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/owner-i-65-nathan-bedford-forrest-statue-defiant-over-calls-block-view#stream/0

Thufir
May 19, 2004

they never scored enough

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I recant my previous opinion after seeing a better replay - lol at that sell job

I still wanted the Pens to win because anyone that beats MY LEAFS deserves only ashes

IMO it's actually pretty impressive to be able to think fast enough to react convincingly to that.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Levitate posted:

As for diving I just wish the league would suspend people for it instead of dinky rear end fines

Even if that was something they were open to doing, it would never happen in the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Powershift posted:

Cujo would have tackled the ref.

Mike Smith would have lost his helmet and stick and been writhing in the net.

• Locked thread