Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Rangers lines look poo poo as usual. Glass in the lineup, Buch sitting, Vesey on the 2nd line, Girardi on the top pairing, and Staal-Holden a pairing even though they suck poo poo together

Oh well I shouldn't have expected anything different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

In general I'm pretty happy to take the Rangers lineup against the Habs even with some stupid coaching decisions except if Price is going to pull a Carey Price then the difference isn't enough for the Rangers to overcome that unless they either get super hype and go nuts all over Montreal or Lundqvist turns back the clock about 7-10 years

e: like I'm not advocating for the Rangers to literally injure Price but they really do need to be running him at every chance. Not the "oops I just plowed into your head at full speed I didn't mean to" but constantly in his face and bumping him, whacking at his pads, if he goes to play the puck give him a bump, etc. Standard NHL stuff to give a goalie a hard time. I expect other teams to do it to Lundqvist and I'd want the Rangers to start doing it to Price or any other goalie they might face in the playoffs.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 11, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

stab posted:

and that's why I'm praying for Julien to dress McCarron. A good solid face punching might change that strategy (p.s gently caress chris kreider). Not that violence is the answer, but gently caress it man, I want to watch hockey games, not "lets knock out the goalie so we can win" strat.

I know you're not advocating for injury, but generally that type of play leads to a higher possibility of it happening, no?

I mean probably? But since every team does it except the Rangers apparently I want them to start doing it. We watch Lundqvist get poo poo every game for the most part, I want to see the Rangers dish some back. You think Gallagher isn't going to spend most of the game "accidentally" falling over Lundqvist in the crease?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

stab posted:

oh totally, except a stiff breeze will move Gallagher out of the way. gently caress Chris Kreider, not so much

hey cmon Kreider hasn't injured anyone in like a year

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

BJ's will win in 5 but the Pens will panic after going down 3-1 and put Sestito into the lineup and he's going to run Bobrovsky and take him out for the rest of the playoffs. Malkin will also cheapshot someone like Werenski or Jones or Atkinson so the BJ's will limp into the second round and get bounced

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Kilza posted:

Jackets could be 100% healthy going into the second round and still get bounced, since the Caps only poo poo their playoff pants against the Pens and Rangers.

that's a bold statement considering the Caps playoff history

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers played pretty well after the first. I'll take it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah Colton Orr could win fights

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers fans fondly reminisce of the days when the 400s were essentially a drunken bar brawl

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

gently caress everything

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Rangers are a poorly coached hockey team

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

grack posted:

Yeah that AV guy is so bad, huh? Rangers should totally fire him in the offseason.

That's the rub. I Iike a lot of things AV does so it's like "if only he could get over his flaws!" but this team shouldn't be in the playoffs and still playing like no one has a clue where their line mates are or what they're supposed to be doing on the ice. I could write up a big effort post later about other poo poo that drives me crazy and seems like it can only fall on the coaches but I'm phone posting now

AV gets a lot out of some guys but in many ways this team has no discipline at all

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

don't get me wrong i think AV is a good coach and will do well once again when he goes somewhere else but i have always believed that any coach has a limited shelf life with any given team and i think that we are clearly seeing the results of AV having surpassed his in new york, unable to view his team with fresh eyes and make the roster decisions that he needs to

So here's my semi effort post about what's wrong with the Rangers right now from the perspective of a guy who's not like a super hockey analyst or anything

There's the obvious roster decisions like Glass, giving Vesey all the trust in the world but not giving Buchnevich much trust, playing Girardi and Staal etc too much, but beyond that...as I mentioned last night the team just looks poorly coached.

Start with the defensive zone and poo poo I'm not really sure what the gameplan is for the Rangers there. I know AV said they tried to change some things up with their system but guys still seem to get confused about where they should be and where their teammates are. Defensemen rimming the puck around to the boards where the forwards actually aren't, poor puck management in general and a continued effort to chip the puck out that never works, etc. It just looks so sloppy. On top of that the forwards flee the zone at the drop of a hat regardless of whether the team has the puck or not. If it looks like a teammate might get the puck, the forwards are trying to sprint up the ice. Team is also super soft on the puck and loses a ton of battles for it by not moving their feet and reaching with their sticks all the time. This combined with the fleeing the zone makes for some real lovely situations. When backchecking, forwards often seem confused about who to pick up.Compare this to other (playoff) teams that at least seem to know what the plan is and where to move the puck to even if there are inevitable breakdowns now and then. The Rangers also make it way too easy for teams to get the puck to the front of the net.

Neutral zone...OK they broke the puck out and are heading up ice. Let's say this is a 3 on 2. Everyone immediately spreads out all over the ice and there's a high probability there's going to be at least one rink wide pass attempted for no apparent reason. This is often picked off because when you are slinging it all the way across the ice the other team has a lot of time to read and intercept that pass, or at least step up on the guy receiving the pass. Occasionally it pulls the opposing team out of position but by the time the playoffs roll around every team is dialed in and it's super unlikely for that plan to be successful. If they still have the puck they tend to wait at the blueline for the puck carrier, which means teammates are left with no speed on the zone entry. Once in the zone, again everyone spreads out and no one, NO ONE, just drives hard up the middle of the ice to the net. Everyone is spread out and coasting and trying to be a passing option, but it's super easy to cover everyone when this happens. The defense is never forced out of position and the long cross ice passes are again easy to pick off or break up. Again, no one ever drives to the net just to create traffic or make things harder on the goalie, and everyone starts coasting. Over passing also tends to be a big issue...it can work wonderfully sometimes but when the puck carrier hits the trailing defenseman who then passes back to the original guy who then tries to thread a cross ice pass through a mess of players in the slot and nothing ever happens you can't help but feel that someone just needs to shoot the puck rather than make 4-5 passes trying to go for a slam dunk goal.

When cycling the puck they just seem to be free styling it most of the time and tons of low percentage no look passes are made to where they think guys should be. There's no indication that there's a structure or plan, just guys running around

Really that's what it comes down to...they look like a team with no real plan or structure, they just make it up and sometimes it clicks but when you get to the playoffs that poo poo doesn't work. You can't constantly be forcing no look passes to no one or trying to thread the needle to a guy who's already covered and think "this is OK".

And that falls on the coaching to prepare the team and get them to play a structure.

Also, the team does a ridiculous amount of soft fly bys and no charging the net, they're incredibly soft on the puck and on players with the puck and half the time just seem to be playing casual like they think they need to hold back a bit for some reason.

I probably have more but I guess I should do something productive. At any rate, the coaching staff needs to be the ones who coach this poo poo out of them but they dno't and it seems to actually be the gameplan

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

grack posted:

Coming from experience - just wait until AV is fired and replaced and you'll realize just how good a coach he is.

Also, what the gently caress do you expect from that defense?

Well that's why I'm not exactly all "fire AV forever!" and why I said the other day that I'm left with the feeling of "if only AV could correct his flaws!"

And part of my point is that it's not just the defense even though it definitely has its weak points. The forwards are a big part of it and they pretty much all play this way. Blaming it all on the defense is ignoring the systematic issues.

Matt Zerella posted:

I said it int he GDT and I'll say it here, RAS kind of need to recalibrate expectations on this season that were skewed by coming out like a team possessed in the first half of the season.

This was a "rebuild on the fly" year and even making the playoffs which this super lovely defense is gravy at this point.

Nothing is going to get better until Staal, Girardi, and Klein are gone.

Yeah I mean I'm not so upset because I'm thinking "they should be real contenders and they're failing!" but more just being frustrated with the same old issues they had last year when the coaching staff and GM were like "this was so disappointing we need to re-evaluate and make changes" and then that didn't happen.

Ginette Reno posted:

The Rangers to me have a similar problem that the Jackets have: lots of talent but no real star player to push play for them aside from goaltending. When do teams built on depth and depth alone ever win in the playoffs? Sometimes they make the finals but it always seems like star power prevails in the end.

The Kings are the only recent winner I can think of that even remotely breaks that mold and I'm not even sure they do because Kopitar/Doughty were star caliber players at the time of their cup wins. Maybe the Bruins but then again Chara and Thomas had the best playoffs of any goalie ever.

Yah that definitely makes it harder when you don't have a guy or two or three that can make some individual plays when you need it. I do think they should be (and are) better roster wise than Montreal and really shouldn't be down in this series which goes back to my frustration with how they're coached/playing

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yeah Ryan McDonagh is a legit top pairing defenseman in that spot of "not a superstar but a #1 defenseman"

That he hasn't had a halfway decent partner to play with for most of his career is a drat shame

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Please take off your rose colored glasses. Roszivol was terrible.

I haven't gone back to see if there are advanced stats on his days with the Rangers but I mainly recall him being pretty dang good but prone to some fuckups now and then which made everyone flip their poo poo and hate him. He was over his head as a top pairing guy but didn't perform terribly either

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

Didn't he play like 99% of his shifts with Jagr. Rob Scuderi could probably look good given those odds.

Yeah but that was tempered by playing 99% of his shifts with Marek Malik

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

Haha Ovechkin only had 15 minutes of ice time tonight. Gotta get the 4th line their minutes.

what the actual gently caress

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

kalensc posted:

Yep. Add in cross-checks in front of the net and after the whistle (and all the other stuff) and I've really soured on the NHL over the years. I love hockey but the ratio of smart/skilled dekes & passes to dumb/cheap hits & stickwork has gotten too low for me to enjoy watching much more than highlight reels.

Oh, and just to ensure that I don't cause an accidental derail, this is just my personal opinion and I'm not at all hoping to spark a debate on what is/isn't "good hockey". I'm really glad that SAS has a community that discusses hockey in an engaging and informative way so that I can follow the sport closely by proxy. Thanks to all the regs and lurkers who keep these threads/forums going!

I don't mind some of the crosschecks and rough stuff that goes on to an extent, it's the interference they've let creep back into the game and the inconsistency of how they'll let poo poo go until they realize oh maybe we should get this game under control and then start calling terrible poo poo.

ThinkTank posted:

The league's conscious decision to almost completely ease up on stick infractions and interference is one thing I'll never understand. It kills offence and it's not like people consider hooks and slashes to be tough/cool hockey. It just slows things down and sucks the joy out of a lot of games. I'd really love to hear the league's perspective on all that, because it makes absolutely no sense to me.

I think a lot of old timers in league management feel that "you gotta play through it!" and "you can't even touch a guy anymore!" are valid opinions and they also hate lots of power plays.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

Buchnevich was on the Rangers first PP unit in practice. I hope this means he's in for Glass and it's not just part of some AV mind games.

Totally mind games, they also both skated this morning and then left the ice at the same time just to gently caress with people

dumb bullshit

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gunjin posted:

To be fair to Trotz, Shattenkirk was rear end last night. Probably his worst game in a Washington uniform. Still no excuse for most of his usage decisions. Too much 4th line, not enough 3rd line, not enough Ovie, Carlson against Toronto's top line.

Coaches get up their own rear end about how gritty you have to be in the playoffs it's loving stupid. Then they get up their rear end about how "we need energy and you fancy pants scorers just aren't bringing it let's run out Tom Wilson so he can hit someone take a charging penalty

With the dumb thing being that Ovi has been playing great by all reports so why the gently caress are you giving him 15 minutes. Fuuuuuuuuuck it man put him on the PK if you can't get more minutes for him otherwise\

e: Carlson turning into absolute poo poo is interesting to see though

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I mean that's all just excuses. You find a way to get Ovechkin good icetime, if you don't then you're loving up

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

If this was someone other than a guy like Ott I'd say it was accidental but it sure looks like he tried to kick Zuccarello

https://streamable.com/p87sa

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Emelin maybe back in for game 5? yes please

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

RIP Carey Price, Kreider now has the excuse he needed

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

maybe he should find an excuse to actually play hockey a bit because he's been absolutely invisible thus far

:monocle:

He did some things last night but yeah he needs to start scoring goals

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Staying healthy isn't going to help his slow skating speed, he's pretty hosed in that regard.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

He'd probably fit better in the West or on a slower more deliberate team like the Caps.

He still performs fine. It's not always pretty. But his possession numbers are fine and he doesn't do anything glaringly bad usually. The thing that concerns me more than the slow foot speed is his offensive ability seems to have completely dried up. He used to be good for 30 or so points, but now he's like a pure defensive dman who can pass. Kinda like Brian Dumoulin I guess except he can't skate :v:

Yah I think it's more that after he was drafted and made the team as an 18 year old, everyone (well, Pens fans anyways) had visions of him continuing to improve and being this excellent blueliner for them. That's probably not going to happen...being a solid reliable guy isn't a bad thing but there's probably some unfulfilled promise there now.

Brady Skjei's better than him anyways :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

They need to hurry the hell up and release what time game 6 will be on Saturday for habs-rags.

8pm

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/854918493652881408

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I thought Beaulieu was supposed to be good at one point

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rumor is the Rangers are going to sign Russian defenseman Bereglazov

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

probably not good enough to make the olympic team but doesn't mean he couldn't be a decent NHLer

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Buch so good please keep giving him icetime

e: also lol

https://twitter.com/AdamZHerman/status/854519737799364608

Levitate fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 21, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I gotta say, a good skating defenseman who could take the puck and turn it up the ice from the defensive zone sure would help the Canadiens...Weber has looked worse than Girardi when it comes to puck movement in the defensive zone

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Whoa they traded PK for Weber?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Haha ok whew I mean that's be crazy right? Haha

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

hah

https://twitter.com/hockeyanalysis/status/855473251224616960

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aphrodite posted:

I saw earlier in the week that a top 5 Corsi team has won like 7 of the last 10 cups or something.

So...Boston, Montreal, or the Caps?

hard to live with those choices

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Good soup! posted:

drat, that's a tough choice to make.

Should be Karlsson's. Tampa didn't make the playoffs,Burns has a better supporting cast, Karlsson is more important to his team and is measurably one of the biggest difference makers in the league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

grack posted:

There are arguments to be made that you can design an offensive system that generates a high number of Corsi events but a low number of quality scoring chances. That may not exactly be "gaming Corsi" but it's very similar. LA may be the poster child for this, or it may be that they didn't have good enough offensive players to actually score even though as a team they had great possession numbers.

I don't think it's "gaming" it or anything but I think the point that some people miss about something like corsi is that by itself it's not going to mean you're going to score a lot of goals and give up few...you still have to have talent to score the goals and the talent to stop the goals against. I think most advanced stats people know that

• Locked thread