Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the bigger reason to pick Ottawa is that the Bruins aren't very good. Neither team is particularly impressive past a handful of players and it's probably going to come down to goaltending and health. If Krug can't go that's a huge hit to Boston's chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

I think the bigger reason to pick Ottawa is that the Bruins aren't very good. Neither team is particularly impressive past a handful of players and it's probably going to come down to goaltending and health. If Krug can't go that's a huge hit to Boston's chances.

That was one the hardest series to pick for me. Only reason I chose the Bruins is I think they in theory have a more dominant top line and more or less equal goaltending depending on what Rask shows up but eh it could go either way.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/NYCTheMiC/status/851485648603271169

:getin: ?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Keep reaching for that rainbow, Oilers.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

Carlo got concussed too so he could be out. I think Ottawa fans are a little overconfident though considering the Sens are the only team with a negative goal differential and they have the least amount of goals scored by any playoff team.

Boston has had it's issues too but since Cassidy took over a lot of the guys who struggled through the first ~50 games under Julien turned it around. I think a lot of people look at the statline and assumed they sucked all year but that's not true, they just sucked for most of the year. Krejci, for example, scored 20 in the last 27 games when he had 34 in 55 prior to that, Bergeron scored 24 in 27 after 29 in 52, etc.

But anyway, my guess is it's going to be a goaltending battle and Ottawa is going to play their 1-3-1 the entire series and I'll be so bored I'll want to kill myself.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 10, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:siren::siren::siren:

Remember how I said that we'd have a competition? Well we're endorsing this one. The top prize is a forums upgrade of YOUR CHOOSING! Avatar, platinum, archives, no ads, pick one and you got it.

The worst prize is THE AVATAR OF SHAAAAAAAAAAAAME (TM). Note, if you've already toxxed your avatar on the results of the NHL playoffs, you're immune! So if you have the worst bracket, and you bet your avatar elsewhere, it'll go to the 2nd worst one!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

iospace posted:

:siren::siren::siren:

Remember how I said that we'd have a competition? Well we're endorsing this one. The top prize is a forums upgrade of YOUR CHOOSING! Avatar, platinum, archives, no ads, pick one and you got it.

The worst prize is THE AVATAR OF SHAAAAAAAAAAAAME (TM). Note, if you've already toxxed your avatar on the results of the NHL playoffs, you're immune! So if you have the worst bracket, and you bet your avatar elsewhere, it'll go to the 2nd worst one!

So...my Toxx says I get a new av if I'm right too. Does that mean my prize is my toxx av?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

How do we determine best and worst bracket?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
ill need to figure out a points system for the predictions i guess, if you have any good ones let me know :shrug:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

NHL.com has a point system that has 10 for first round, 25 for second, 50 for third, 100 for finals, and then bonus points for getting the number of games right. Another bracket pool I'm in is doing number of total goals in finals as tie breaker, or if there's ties could just have multiple prizes for tied bests/worsts. :shrug:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 10, 2017

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Jehde posted:

NHL.com has a point system that has 10 for first round, 25 for second, 50 for third, 100 for finals, and then bonus points for getting the number of games right. Another bracket pool I'm in is doing number of total goals in finals as tie breaker, or if there's ties could just have multiple prizes for tied bests/worsts. :shrug:

quote:

Basic Scoring: An Entrant must correctly guess the winner of a Series in order to be awarded Basic Scoring Points. Basic Scoring Points per correct prediction/selection per Series in a given Round are shown below:

1st Round: Earn 10 points for each correctly-predicted Series winner.

2nd Round: Earn 25 points for each correctly-predicted Series winner.

3rd Round - Conference Finals: Earn 50 points for each correctly-predicted Series winner.

4th Round - Stanley Cup® Final: Earn 100 points for correctly predicting the winner of the Stanley Cup® Final Series matchup (i.e., the 2017 Stanley Cup® Champion)

In the event a Series does not occur as scheduled (e.g., due to cancellation, postponement, etc.) no points will be awarded in respect of that Series.

Bonus Points: For each Series in the 1st Round, there will be one (1) bonus question. The bonus question for each Series in the 1st Round is as follows: the Entrant must predict how many games will be played in that particular Series. If the Entrant correctly answers the bonus question for a given Series, such Entrant shall be awarded three (3) Bonus Points so long as such Entrant also correctly predicted the winner of that Series. By way of example, since there are eight (8) Playoff Series in the 1st Round, there are eight (8) bonus questions to be answered (one per Series). Thus, an Entrant has the opportunity to earn as much as twenty-four (24) Bonus Points in the 1st Round (by correctly answering each bonus question and correctly predicting each Series winner). If an Entrant does not correctly predict the winner of a given Series but correctly answers the bonus question for that Series, then the Entrant will not receive any Bonus Points for that Series. Entrants must answer the bonus question for each 1st Round Series when completing and saving the Bracket prior to the Picks Period Closing Date. An Entrant may change his/her answers to bonus questions before the Picks Period Closing Date, by making any appropriate changes and again re-saving the respective Bracket, but once the Picks Period Closing Date occurs, all answers will lock and may not be changed again.

seems ok to me but i might keep the bonus points up for each rouch (doubled, so round 2 is 6, ecf/wcf is 12, scf is 24)

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Oh yeah the mods reserve the right to give out bonus awards for particularly well- made brackets or predictions.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

My first round picks are:

MTL in 6
BOS in 4
WAS in 6
CBJ in 7
NSH in 6
MIN in 5
CGY in 6
EDM in 7

Going with charity for the losers if I'm wrong on these:

:toxx: If Ottawa gets by Boston I will donate $20 to the fuckin Shawn Thornton Foundation. lol

:toxx: If Chicago knocks off Nashville I will donate $20 to the PK Subban Foundation to cheer him up.

:toxx: If Toronto beats the Caps I will donate $40 to the Kids on Ice program at the Ft Dupont Ice Arena to help restock the Caps with talent down the road. (Pretty sure that's how it works.)

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

If the oilers win the cup again I'm going to buy myself a BMW 230i

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The Golden Man posted:

If the oilers win the cup again I'm going to buy myself a BMW 230i

If they don't, a Chevy Sonic.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Le Habs dethrone King Henrik in 6 games
Dirty Water downs Ottawa in 6 of 'em
Mind_Taker's team really pisses off LAS over that "give up three in regulation to Columbus" jinx in 5.
Yinzers lustily remind Columbus that their team is an insignificant franchise after 6 (but this could go anywhere from 5-7 games). The first four games will be 4-3 final scores in which the team taking a 3-0 or 3-1 lead blows it and loses.

America's Team def. The Team of Annoying Fan Chants in 5
The Wild beat Hitchcock Yeo in 6.
gently caress Corey Perry goes the distance against Calgary, ruining The Battle of Alberta for the second time in three weeks.
...because McJesus will crucify the Sharks after 6 games of hockey.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I did it. I went against all good judgement there is in the hockey world, and picked the Caps to win it all. I look forward to being thoroughly embarrassed in the second round.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Here's my dumb bracket that may or may not match the one I sent to the google docs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

yellowcar posted:

Here's my dumb bracket that may or may not match the one I sent to the google docs.

Washington beating the Pens and then losing to Montreal in the ECF would be so hilariously tragic

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I love Ovi but them finally getting over the hump only to run into God Mode Carey Price would be hysterical.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Is someone doing a post compiling all the toxxes? If not, I'll edit my first post ITT.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

yellowcar posted:

Lots of good stories in that bracket.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Only three flipping toxxes? And the playoffs start tommorow? Goddamn we suck

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Only three flipping toxxes? And the playoffs start tommorow? Goddamn we suck

I think everybody who submitted a bracket is in the upgrade-or-avatar Toxx pool, which I'm assuming means I win as long as Toronto upsets Washington because I'd be shocked if I'm not the only one that picked that.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It has been prophesied

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Hand Knit posted:

It has been prophesied

Every Canadian team out in the 1st round. Nice

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Here's my dumb bracket which is probably different then what I put on the google form

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hawks over pens

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Why is everyone so high on the ducks?

E - I mean, yeah, Calgary, but I'd give at least even odds with the Edmonton McDavids and San Jose was good at one point this season.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

JoelJoel posted:

Why is everyone so high on the ducks?

E - I mean, yeah, Calgary, but I'd give at least even odds with the Edmonton McDavids and San Jose was good at one point this season.

Cause Calgary hasnt won in Anaheim since the Clinton Administration

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

oldskool posted:

I think everybody who submitted a bracket is in the upgrade-or-avatar Toxx pool, which I'm assuming means I win as long as Toronto upsets Washington because I'd be shocked if I'm not the only one that picked that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So when are all the numbers going up? Because that's hillarious

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

This means I am going to be loading up on players in my playoff pool from four teams who could be eliminated in the first round.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

bunnyofdoom posted:

So when are all the numbers going up? Because that's hillarious

im leaving it open until the games start tomorrow. i'll post the graphs and lists after

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I too resorted to paint because I couldn't be arsed to make an NHL account

Presenting PK's Revenge feat. disgruntled fan who hasn't watched a game all season

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
:toxx: if the edmonton oilers win the stanley cup i will change john scott-tar into some sort of tbd hunter the lynx-tar

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I've been playing around with GIMP lately and decided to try something new for my bracket. I ended up with this fridge magnet looking thing.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I've been playing around with GIMP lately and decided to try something new for my bracket. I ended up with this fridge magnet looking thing.

The least watched playoffs in NHL history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

My inherent homerism overrode my desire to win

• Locked thread