Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Lucrecia is the worst.

The thing that makes me laugh is that Lucrecia being a terrible person (not quite Hojo 2.0, but not far off it) was a long-held fan theory, despite there not being overmuch in the original game to back it up. Then this game comes along and goes 'yeah, sure, why not'. So for anyone thinking this game seemed a little fanficy at times, well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Better or worse than FF13's version of turning into a crystal?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Slightly less random and not used as the universal plot device for everything. Still pretty loving dumb.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Also I'm almost 100% sure Lucrecia is loving dead. The crystal isn't a stasis field or whatever it was in 13. It's just she kinda wanted to end her life and became a crystal.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: It's THAT place again :emo:

So we go back! Back to where it all started. The PS1! Errr I mean Nibble Ham! But first we have to go through the sewers because of-course we do. It really seems disjointed the places we go. I can't even tell where the hell we are or have been because of how much we've been jumping around. I mean I know Nagging Hem is on the FF7 map, but everything else that isn't a major area just seems to sort of exist in this game and not the actual established world.

Zain fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 28, 2017

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I wonder how he even got there, it's like he's just popped down the road or something.

I didn't hate this game, but for me the worst part is that you can literally shoot your bullets through an enemy but if you're not locked on it won't affect them. Booya!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

I wonder how he even got there, it's like he's just popped down the road or something.

I didn't hate this game, but for me the worst part is that you can literally shoot your bullets through an enemy but if you're not locked on it won't affect them. Booya!

Is that what happens? I just thought it was "Out of range" but a lock on mechanic could make sense that's a "You're going to hit or not" but also there's an accuracy stat which is also confusing.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I recall this game being absolute horseshit before I went into the options and turned on autoaim. Then...it was still absolute horseshit but less so

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: We should really mind our manners in this manor :emo:

Alright! We get our first taste of what OMEGA is supposed to be... IN TEXT FORMAT! Go us! Everyone's favorite pastime is of-course reading logs. Maybe this is where it all began with FF13's massive text/story dumps? Either way we gotta do it.

I do hope these are in order. I do believe so but you're not missing much if they're not.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The absolute lack of anything when you visit Vincent's room is the single most disappointing part of the game for me.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

The absolute lack of anything when you visit Vincent's room is the single most disappointing part of the game for me.

Right? It is really a slap in the face in many ways. Maybe see the decayed corpse of the optional boss too! SOMETHING! Though I guess if Shinra is still using it... After it's been abandoned for YEARS, they'd probably clean up the place. But even still! The mansion doesn't have the correct layout, or even some of the more iconic aesthetics that you'd think they'd put in.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: Everything goes to hell :emo:

So we break out and get some real color to this game! There are greens! Not just Grays and browns. Otherwise there's not much to say about this outside of the stupid bullshit it tries to throw at you. It always seems to be waves of enemies too! Sorry if this is short. I just got off of work and am super tired.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I loving hate Shelke so much.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

I loving hate Shelke so much.

Well I hate to say this but you'll be seeing her more and more.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: The greatest sacrifice :emo:

That's right boys and girls! It's time for Zybourne Clock! Errr I mean another episode of Deep Ground Strikes back. This one will be a bit shorter than the other videos today since I didn't pace it out properly. But there's more story and character development of our favorite 13 year old who is actually 23 years old but trapped in a 13 year old's body. As well as her sister. It's great! Absolutely exquisite. Best story of all time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I hate myself for saying this but I'm kinda liking Yuffie here. Anime comedy aside, she could be the perfect foil for Vincent's broody antics; shame them teaming up doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Yuffie has her qualities that's for sure... But I don't know what they're really going with her. Serious master ninja or major goofball?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: EXPOSITION :siren:

Well today is a non-commentary update. It's a whole lot of talking and exploring the NOT HIGHWIND! So instead of saying anything I'd let literally EVERYONE ELSE talk. It's a fairly lengthy one too. There's really not a whole heck of a lot. There's going to be character development of Shelke and Vincent mostly. We do get to see all of our favorite though! Like Cid, Yuffie, and Cait Sith. I will say the ending cinematic of this video is pretty bad rear end.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, that's a party reunion. Only two questions: 1) Where is the talking dog, 2) Why the gently caress does Vincent wear shiny pointy shoes that I somehow failed to notice until now?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I can tell you exactly where Red XIII is. But that's technically spoilers. The most disappointing spoilers.

I don't know why he has clown shoes but yeah that's Vincent for you.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Let's be honest here, Vincent is dressed ridiculously even by Nomura standards, the shoes are the least questionable part of his attire.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: Running a Train on Deepground :emo:

Hey! We're back in Midgar, not only Midgar but probably one of the more iconic places. The Train Graveyard, so you better believe we're going to fight some undead creatures here! That of-course is a blatant lie. It's still the same loving enemies we've been fighting for a while now. We do get another Omega Report, which by this point is only flavor text. I don't believe there's really any major revelations to be hand from future updates on that but I'll still share it cause you better believe we will!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: Red the Red :emo:

We're back in the Midgar Assault and you better believe we're fighting the same people we've been fighting since the start of the game. But who is this Mysterious G person? What's with their reports? Will we find the answers? It's hard to say right now. All I do know is that we're getting a boss fight at the end here. It's with our favorite person too. Red the Red and how annoying she is to fight. Literally the worst boss fight in a long line of "The worst" to come. But we do what we must because we can.

G-Report:

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
I bet it's Gilgamesh. I mean, the "S" is almost assuredly Sephiroth, so this "G" person also has to be a sword-wielding badass on par with him, right? When you collect all the G Reports, I bet you fight him, right? That'd be pretty cool, and this is a cool game with a cool badass hero, so that's what happens, right?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Bwahaha. G's identity is one of the few things I *do* remember from the last LP of this game and it's... Well, something.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

zidane13 posted:

I bet it's Gilgamesh. I mean, the "S" is almost assuredly Sephiroth, so this "G" person also has to be a sword-wielding badass on par with him, right? When you collect all the G Reports, I bet you fight him, right? That'd be pretty cool, and this is a cool game with a cool badass hero, so that's what happens, right?

That would be nice wouldn't it :smith:

anilEhilated posted:

Bwahaha. G's identity is one of the few things I *do* remember from the last LP of this game and it's... Well, something.

Honestly I don't even know who it is. But now I'm thinking it's not the person who I thought it was.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: Shinra is burning :emo:

We're going into the old Shinra building. We also meet more members of Deep Ground! Probably the most emo of them all too.

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 22, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

Honestly I don't even know who it is. But now I'm thinking it's not the person who I thought it was.
Wait, now I'm confused, maybe I'm the one who got it wrong. I thought it was absolutely nothing relevant to the plot but a cameo by some Japanese pop singer?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Wait, now I'm confused, maybe I'm the one who got it wrong. I thought it was absolutely nothing relevant to the plot but a cameo by some Japanese pop singer?

Well it is! I had no idea who it was. At first I thought this was just vincent's father making notes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I'll spoil it right now because it's one of the stupider retcons in the FFVII series (and I say that as someone who loves Advent Children (gently caress you, movie owns)) and it never comes up in the game except for a lovely post-credits scene.

Crisis Core major spoilers:
It's short for Genesis, a SOLDIER who worked with Sephiroth and Zack's mentor, Angeal (yes, really). He was a sort of Sephiroth V1.5, and like other super SOLDIERs he had a problem where his body would start to decay due to Mako/Jenova cells. He uh...sorta tries to...
okay I don't exactly remember what his deal was. Basically he didn't want to simply waste away so he used his own cells to make copies of himself while simultaneously trying to find a cure for his body's degradation. He also has delusions of grandeur and tries to basically take Sephiroth's place. He also believing that he's the hero of a play called Loveless, which he quotes incessantly (even Sephiroth calls him out on this). The end of the game has him fall into the Lifestream and meets the godess Minerva, the game's post-game boss. She cures his degradation, and the scene fades out before we learn about his fate.
If this sounds schizophrenic, that's because Crisis Core's story is kind of a loving mess.
He's also based on the pop singer Gackt who nobody remembers anymore, even though the guy is kinda insane and basically a real life Nomura character. He claims he's a vampire born in 1540. IIRC Square Enix can't actually use Genesis anymore because Gackt does not allow his likeness to be used for future games :lol:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 22, 2017

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

He's also based on the pop singer Gackt who nobody remembers anymore, even though the guy is kinda insane and basically a real life Nomura character. He claims he's a vampire born in 1540. IIRC Square Enix can't actually use Genesis anymore because Gackt does not allow his likeness to be used for future games :lol:
SE can still use the character in some way or another, since they reappeared as a boss for an event in Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One thing I'll say for Advent Children is that the music is great. The rest, uh... not so much; I'm thinking it was an early experiment by Square in milking their franchises; the process has been perfected since.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I'm Blue Dabudee Dabudii

Been so busy with my birday today I kind of forgot to update. Sorry for it being late! Either way we're fighting Blue the Blue today. Again a super annoying boss fight if you didn't come prepared you better believe you'll be spending 30+ minutes fighting this guy. Not a fan at all. This boss fight in particular seems to scream of bad design choices.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I loved the way Vincent finished off Azul. It is so satisfying to watch him get skewered by his own gun after he spent the whole game being a giant smug gently caress.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:iiam: Ruins of Midgar :iiam:

That's right we're exploring a deep hidden area under Midgar today. It'd not that bad until we fight a terrible new enemy. Seriously I hate these types of enemies and they shouldn't exists.

I forgot to look at the omega report today cause in the previous failed recording I did and so there's that. For some reason I thought I opened it but clearly didn't. So instead I grabbed this from the wiki

Also I'm going to be heading to a convention on Wednesday and I won't be back until Monday. So Friday's update of-course won't be posted on Friday as I'll have no access to a computer. Next week Monday's will be heavily delayed to probably the afternoon if I'm not feeling drained that day. Otherwise have fun and be safe out there everyone.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This level basically demonstrates why I am fascinated by this game. I just don't get what it's trying to do. Is it an arcade shooter where you try to clear the levels as fast as possible a la Vanquish? The rankings at the end certainly seem to suggest this. Then why do you get penalized for damage, when you have no meaningful way to avoid it (unlike Vanquish's cover, slow-mo and cigarette mechanics)? And why are your items so limited and you're penalized for their use?
Are you supposed to methodically take each section room by room? The forcefield mechanic certainly gives that impression (btw the forcefields look like such loving rear end holy poo poo). And that helps avoid dick moves like that barrel. AND it explains sections like the on-rail transport and the turret sections. But if so, why are you graded on time? And again, why don't you have a good way to avoid attacks to help facilitate this?

I've just been playing Shadow Warrior 2 recently and it has similar ideas to DoJ. But while the game has a problem in its stitched together story, short length and repetitive levels, its actual shooting mechanics and upgrades are solid. You have a lot of verticality in the levels and you have a dash you can use to quickly avoid attacks and change momentum in mid-air. So I can see how certain "unfair" enemies can be defeated with some thought and tactics. The game punishes you for dying by making you lose all the EXP you gained towards your next level, which is harsh, but the leveling is flat so it's overall fairly reasonable (and it only happens on the hardest difficulty. And you can reduce it to a 50% loss with upgrades, but I don't).
The game also has a limit break mechanic which charges up through enemy kills and collecting fury items. It charges pretty quickly and there are builds you can dabble in to get it to charge even faster. It makes you functionally immortal, at its max upgrade level all enemies are slowed, you take 50% less damage, deal 50% more damage, you get extra HP and Mana Drain and your melee attacks get blade beams.
DoC doesn't do anything like that with its Limit Breaker. You still take damage, and you're actually slower than usual.
Like SW2 has Problems. A lot of them. But I understand what it was doing and it's still a good game, just not one that's worth the full 60 bucks. I don't get DoC.

Oh and OP also Chapter 6 has the Manaheart on Ex Hard mode. You need to kill a huge charging enemy that comes in right after the Guard Hound part. It's an accessory that gives you passive MP regen.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Deeper down the rabbit hole

G-Report:

Alright! Back from the convention and I don't remember much of this video. It's mostly us going forward and getting a long cutscene establishing the Lolicon's backstory. There's of-course a G report that I posted. But yeah there's a ton of gimmicks in this level and even more so in the next video. So please look forward to all of that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God I forgot how loving tedious these cutscenes were. Nothing loving happens.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Nero the Sable

That's right! Another boss fight is on its way! And honestly it's a fairly disappointing one, but don't be alarmed we are on the final stretch of the LP there's only 3 videos left until the very end.... Which I need to still talk over cause I'm a lazy butt. Sorry. Anyway! Yes there's a 100 man challenge room that I cut out cause it's super boring. Honestly if you wanna see it then I'll edit a quick video but no... It's no good.

There's tons of gimmicks I've noticed in this video. LIKE A WHOLE poo poo TON and it's weird.

SSNeoman posted:

God I forgot how loving tedious these cutscenes were. Nothing loving happens.

I know! Nothing really happens and it's annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zain posted:

I know! Nothing really happens and it's annoying.
Nothing happens in them and the characters involved in them speak a few words at a time before pausing for two seconds and repeating the process. The voice acting is terrible and so is the editing. Improving both of these things would shave at least two minutes off of a ten-minute cutscene.

I'm about midway through the videos posted and there have only been two different types of enemies outside of "Deepground Soldier" and "Deepground Dog." One was the sewer lizard person and the other was a giant bug. This is a Final Fantasy game, which has some of the most recognizable enemies of any RPG. Would it kill them to have Cactaur, or Malboro, or Tonberry as enemies?

The whole game feels completely unnecessary and it feels like it was made with that attitude.

• Locked thread