Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
To me one of the biggest condemnations of this game is how poo poo the soundtrack is. We could have had gothy buttmetal or pretentious orchestral goth remixes of music from FF7. Or just an entirely new buttmetal soundtrack. Instead we got just bland and forgettable nonsense. Final Fantasy VII has one of, if not the, best soundtracks in a series often known for its music, and that the game could drop the ball that hard on that front is just shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I still really enjoy FF7 although the fanbase is pretty bad and the retcons and poo poo are loving awful - the EU is just irredeemable.
That said, I think it may have been on these very forums where I have seen it said, but the real brilliance of FF7 wasn't in the story itself - the story was good, maybe even great, for the time and the genre, but ultimately was just John Carpenter's The Thing: The Anime: The Game" - but rather in how it was told and presented. Basically every character in FF7 is either missing important details, themselves mislead, and/or actively lying. The story is presented piecemeal over the course of the game and in such a manner that it manages to seem more engrossing than it is, and also engages the player more fully than it might otherwise by way of mystery.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, like Star Wars, a lot of the brilliance in FF7 lies in what the game didn't tell or show, and that like the SW EU/Prequels, the notion of a FF7 expanded universe was a venture doomed from the start, since the magic of the original is not something you can expand upon. And, like the prequels and much of the EU, the fact that the stories we did get were loving dreck didn't help.

• Locked thread