Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

What is Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus?
It's a cash grab by SquareEnix... No seriously. Put to go into it a bit further, Dirge of Cerberus is a Third-Person Shooter staring everyone's favorite character C- ERRR Vincent Valentine! You know that completely optional character in the original Final Fantasy VII. (The good one) The guy that was seething CHARACTER and EMOTION. Yeah they decided to make a game about him which is about as good as you'd think.

Will this be 100%
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAAAAAA------- NO! gently caress you for even thinking that. This game is shite and honestly the effort I've put forth to get even SOME of the collectables is more than enough. Let's not try to force me to get all the secret items and poo poo too. That'd be insane and I'd appreciate not doing that.

Wait did you say this is poo poo?
No I said it's shite. Jesus Christ pay the gently caress attention! But that being said there's some things to enjoy about this game. There's a chaining system which increases your damage the more kills you have and it's a bit of a fun challenge trying to keep it going throughout. Also with some of it you can 2-3 shot some bosses.
Basically there's a lot of mechanics in here that's fun to exploit. Weak Points for massive damage, and combos to big damage. It has its fun times, but near the end it does drop off pretty horribly.

Spoiler Policy
Much like with most of the games I LP, please keep them in tags.

Videos

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Omega Reports:

G-Reports:

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 19, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Oh don't worry it gets better! Trust me it gets better. Wait til you see the overall end of the game.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Oh god, I only know this from the TDI LP. Can't wait to see the trainwreck in motion.
Two minutes in, literally the first line in the game and the writing is already glorious: the hound weaves something something a dog sticking its paws into a loom.

e: Steve Blum's finest work, this ain't.

It's definitely Steven being his Blumiest that's for sure.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Also, Yuffie is great, and I'll stick to that. :colbert:

Almost as bad as Rikku

CommissarMega posted:

You know we give furries poo poo for displaying their fetishes everywhere? The same goes for masochists, dude :colbert:

Guess I'm double hosed in this instance.

magikid posted:

I really enjoyed this game back when I first got it, enough to go through all of the difficulties. I tried playing it again a few years later and holy poo poo no it is not a good game. I think the worst part is that you get shot the instant you enter enemies' line of sight no matter what.

Don't know what I saw in it the first time, but at least back then I still thought the writing was garbage.

I will say beginning game is way better than endgame. There's more you can do with the mechanics in the first couple of chapters and then near the end it's always these slap fights without the ability to raise your Chain gauge up. You'll see what I mean in the next video.

Zain fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 11, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

OH! I would actually not care if all the enemies were samey, but there's one enemy type late game that's just super annoying and bullshit. But we won't get there for a while.

What I will spoil is weapon choice is poo poo! Since we got all of our attack options fairly early in the game. We get only 3 weapons throughout the game. Pistol, Machine Gun, and Sniper Rifle. Honestly if they had more variation in these things it'd be more interesting, or even enjoyable. But basically once you have your basic build it barely ever changes if it does.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Alavaria posted:

What what.

Vincent only has 3 barrels on his now rifle-length "handgun". :(

Resonance of Fate is a magical game that everyone should play. Wish I didn't suck at it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

To me one of the biggest condemnations of this game is how poo poo the soundtrack is. We could have had gothy buttmetal or pretentious orchestral goth remixes of music from FF7. Or just an entirely new buttmetal soundtrack. Instead we got just bland and forgettable nonsense. Final Fantasy VII has one of, if not the, best soundtracks in a series often known for its music, and that the game could drop the ball that hard on that front is just shameful.

Holy poo poo! You're so right. I completely forgot there's music in this game... Honestly it's so forgettable and I've played it so much you'd think there's some song that would stand out but I honestly can't remember a single one.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:therapy: New update :therapy:

So, in this update we're fighting our first boss! And it shows off one of the things I liked most about at least the beginning levels of Dirge of Cerberus. We're not really going to see much of Vincent's (lack of) personality for a few chapters. It's all begrunden acceptance of the situation.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Is the bad guy's name literally "Blue, the blue"? All that's missing is "the hedgehog".

Yep! Spoilers, then we face off with Rosso, the Crimson. The naming conventions here are pretty amazing not going to lie.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:banjo: Another Serious and Edgy Update

In this episode there's lot of brooding and INTRIGUE or something.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Seriously if this game was a bit better, it would be the spirit animal for teenagers. That bit with the Pragsus Riders was amazing :allears:

That's the thing right?! The game is good with ideas, but just execution is bad or worse not really thought out.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: Update City :emo:

Alright! So fun things actually happen in this update. We get a sniper showdown and show that Vincent is really doing this to save the children. Also, we get the best weapon in the game. See if you can spot it. For this level I actually do enjoy it quite a bit. It's cramped but also feels pretty open. Nothing really to complain much about the level design.

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 21, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: Update Where everything that loves me gets hurt :emo:

This one is going to be a more cutscene heavy update. It goes into the "relationship" of Vincent and Lucrecia, if you can call it that. I want to say close to 15 minutes worth of cutscenes for this one update and trust me they get longer too! Not every update but there's some that are like 20+ minutes.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Lucrecia is the worst.

Oh their dynamic only gets more cringy and pathetic as time goes on.

Also I love how anytime you do something badass in this game it's cutscene. It's pretty depressing that they give you a rocket launcher and it's only picked up and used during the cutscene and never again will something like that occur. I'm sure being a Turk Vincent has had extensive weapons training. I don't mind that the Rocket Launcher would be limited use weapon but like seriously give us more of a choice in weapons! Weapons generally make or break games like this.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Also I'm almost 100% sure Lucrecia is loving dead. The crystal isn't a stasis field or whatever it was in 13. It's just she kinda wanted to end her life and became a crystal.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: It's THAT place again :emo:

So we go back! Back to where it all started. The PS1! Errr I mean Nibble Ham! But first we have to go through the sewers because of-course we do. It really seems disjointed the places we go. I can't even tell where the hell we are or have been because of how much we've been jumping around. I mean I know Nagging Hem is on the FF7 map, but everything else that isn't a major area just seems to sort of exist in this game and not the actual established world.

Zain fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 28, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

I wonder how he even got there, it's like he's just popped down the road or something.

I didn't hate this game, but for me the worst part is that you can literally shoot your bullets through an enemy but if you're not locked on it won't affect them. Booya!

Is that what happens? I just thought it was "Out of range" but a lock on mechanic could make sense that's a "You're going to hit or not" but also there's an accuracy stat which is also confusing.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: We should really mind our manners in this manor :emo:

Alright! We get our first taste of what OMEGA is supposed to be... IN TEXT FORMAT! Go us! Everyone's favorite pastime is of-course reading logs. Maybe this is where it all began with FF13's massive text/story dumps? Either way we gotta do it.

I do hope these are in order. I do believe so but you're not missing much if they're not.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

The absolute lack of anything when you visit Vincent's room is the single most disappointing part of the game for me.

Right? It is really a slap in the face in many ways. Maybe see the decayed corpse of the optional boss too! SOMETHING! Though I guess if Shinra is still using it... After it's been abandoned for YEARS, they'd probably clean up the place. But even still! The mansion doesn't have the correct layout, or even some of the more iconic aesthetics that you'd think they'd put in.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: Everything goes to hell :emo:

So we break out and get some real color to this game! There are greens! Not just Grays and browns. Otherwise there's not much to say about this outside of the stupid bullshit it tries to throw at you. It always seems to be waves of enemies too! Sorry if this is short. I just got off of work and am super tired.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

I loving hate Shelke so much.

Well I hate to say this but you'll be seeing her more and more.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: The greatest sacrifice :emo:

That's right boys and girls! It's time for Zybourne Clock! Errr I mean another episode of Deep Ground Strikes back. This one will be a bit shorter than the other videos today since I didn't pace it out properly. But there's more story and character development of our favorite 13 year old who is actually 23 years old but trapped in a 13 year old's body. As well as her sister. It's great! Absolutely exquisite. Best story of all time.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Yuffie has her qualities that's for sure... But I don't know what they're really going with her. Serious master ninja or major goofball?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: EXPOSITION :siren:

Well today is a non-commentary update. It's a whole lot of talking and exploring the NOT HIGHWIND! So instead of saying anything I'd let literally EVERYONE ELSE talk. It's a fairly lengthy one too. There's really not a whole heck of a lot. There's going to be character development of Shelke and Vincent mostly. We do get to see all of our favorite though! Like Cid, Yuffie, and Cait Sith. I will say the ending cinematic of this video is pretty bad rear end.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I can tell you exactly where Red XIII is. But that's technically spoilers. The most disappointing spoilers.

I don't know why he has clown shoes but yeah that's Vincent for you.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: Running a Train on Deepground :emo:

Hey! We're back in Midgar, not only Midgar but probably one of the more iconic places. The Train Graveyard, so you better believe we're going to fight some undead creatures here! That of-course is a blatant lie. It's still the same loving enemies we've been fighting for a while now. We do get another Omega Report, which by this point is only flavor text. I don't believe there's really any major revelations to be hand from future updates on that but I'll still share it cause you better believe we will!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: Red the Red :emo:

We're back in the Midgar Assault and you better believe we're fighting the same people we've been fighting since the start of the game. But who is this Mysterious G person? What's with their reports? Will we find the answers? It's hard to say right now. All I do know is that we're getting a boss fight at the end here. It's with our favorite person too. Red the Red and how annoying she is to fight. Literally the worst boss fight in a long line of "The worst" to come. But we do what we must because we can.

G-Report:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

zidane13 posted:

I bet it's Gilgamesh. I mean, the "S" is almost assuredly Sephiroth, so this "G" person also has to be a sword-wielding badass on par with him, right? When you collect all the G Reports, I bet you fight him, right? That'd be pretty cool, and this is a cool game with a cool badass hero, so that's what happens, right?

That would be nice wouldn't it :smith:

anilEhilated posted:

Bwahaha. G's identity is one of the few things I *do* remember from the last LP of this game and it's... Well, something.

Honestly I don't even know who it is. But now I'm thinking it's not the person who I thought it was.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: Shinra is burning :emo:

We're going into the old Shinra building. We also meet more members of Deep Ground! Probably the most emo of them all too.

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 22, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Wait, now I'm confused, maybe I'm the one who got it wrong. I thought it was absolutely nothing relevant to the plot but a cameo by some Japanese pop singer?

Well it is! I had no idea who it was. At first I thought this was just vincent's father making notes.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I'm Blue Dabudee Dabudii

Been so busy with my birday today I kind of forgot to update. Sorry for it being late! Either way we're fighting Blue the Blue today. Again a super annoying boss fight if you didn't come prepared you better believe you'll be spending 30+ minutes fighting this guy. Not a fan at all. This boss fight in particular seems to scream of bad design choices.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:iiam: Ruins of Midgar :iiam:

That's right we're exploring a deep hidden area under Midgar today. It'd not that bad until we fight a terrible new enemy. Seriously I hate these types of enemies and they shouldn't exists.

I forgot to look at the omega report today cause in the previous failed recording I did and so there's that. For some reason I thought I opened it but clearly didn't. So instead I grabbed this from the wiki

Also I'm going to be heading to a convention on Wednesday and I won't be back until Monday. So Friday's update of-course won't be posted on Friday as I'll have no access to a computer. Next week Monday's will be heavily delayed to probably the afternoon if I'm not feeling drained that day. Otherwise have fun and be safe out there everyone.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Deeper down the rabbit hole

G-Report:

Alright! Back from the convention and I don't remember much of this video. It's mostly us going forward and getting a long cutscene establishing the Lolicon's backstory. There's of-course a G report that I posted. But yeah there's a ton of gimmicks in this level and even more so in the next video. So please look forward to all of that.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Nero the Sable

That's right! Another boss fight is on its way! And honestly it's a fairly disappointing one, but don't be alarmed we are on the final stretch of the LP there's only 3 videos left until the very end.... Which I need to still talk over cause I'm a lazy butt. Sorry. Anyway! Yes there's a 100 man challenge room that I cut out cause it's super boring. Honestly if you wanna see it then I'll edit a quick video but no... It's no good.

There's tons of gimmicks I've noticed in this video. LIKE A WHOLE poo poo TON and it's weird.

SSNeoman posted:

God I forgot how loving tedious these cutscenes were. Nothing loving happens.

I know! Nothing really happens and it's annoying.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

Nothing happens in them and the characters involved in them speak a few words at a time before pausing for two seconds and repeating the process. The voice acting is terrible and so is the editing. Improving both of these things would shave at least two minutes off of a ten-minute cutscene.

I'm about midway through the videos posted and there have only been two different types of enemies outside of "Deepground Soldier" and "Deepground Dog." One was the sewer lizard person and the other was a giant bug. This is a Final Fantasy game, which has some of the most recognizable enemies of any RPG. Would it kill them to have Cactaur, or Malboro, or Tonberry as enemies?

The whole game feels completely unnecessary and it feels like it was made with that attitude.

Oh no! You're absolutely right. There's very little in enemy verity and they really half assed this game. There's only one limit break you can do which seems weird. I'd love to be able to choose between the 3, outside of Chaos cause Chaos is a major plot point for some reason, to fit some sort of situation at hand.

SSNeoman posted:

I think we're supposed to sympathize with Lucrecia, but I just can't stop laughing at how Vincent got snubbed by loving Hojo of all people.

Oh yeah you have no idea how badly I was cringing at Vincent here. It was the most disgusting thing they could have possibly done in this.

anilEhilated posted:

I think this game succeeded in killing off any positive feelings one might have associated with any of the FF7 characters.

Lucrecia was... More respectable when she had barely any character in FF7. Now we see Vincent as this little whimp. And because Lucrecia sorta hosed up Vincent to make it up to him she went and became Hojo's... Something? Like I can imagine Hojo would really treat anyone with any respect, but also they had a child together. So the thoughts that come to mind are some that I'd rather not write out.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The Bad Episode

I really wish I could be joking here and telling you that this isn't a bad episode but god it's so annoying and you can hear in my voice how annoyed I am at this stupid loving bullshit. The level is SUPER CRAMPED. There's a lot of lame gimmicks to slow you down and it's just not enjoyable at all. The boss or midboss in this area is also total bullshit. It's a fight to stay awake at this point. Just everything points to things being complete poo poo in this level.

We did get our final G Report which means we can get the super special secret ending! YAY US!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

One Boss After Another

Well they certainly ramped things up here. It's bossfight after bossfight after bossfight! And honestly they're not too bad. They're not too good either, but I sort of enjoy some of the gimmicks of these fights. We finally face off against Weiss! And you better believe the cutscene is loving TRASH! OH Man! This story keeps taking a poo poo and when you think it couldn't possibly get worse it does. I hope you all enjoy how loving stupid this all is and know that it'll end with a huge bullshit battle. But not quite yet. We're not done. That's for Monday, we're completing the main story of this game soon!

Also on episode 18 I got this message

That's... that's good right? RIGHT?!?!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Well, that... sure was a reveal. Maybe says something about the true nature of the Internet. Still, nice of the bad guy to interrupt his doomsday plan just because Vincent politely asks him to wait.

It was super hella dumb! That was one of the more "Obvious" but still bullshit reveals ever.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Alpha and Omega

Well here we all everyone! Final Episode of this masterpiece. I want to apologize immediately for the audio quality. It was coming straight from the PS3 so there's not much I can really do about it. I wish it wasn't there but god it was really horrible and broke a lot of the awesome musics in the game. But with this we're finally done! Again I want to thank everyone that joined in and contributed to the thread and watched and enjoyed everything you saw. I don't know when I'll return for another LP as my life is getting hectic SUPER QUICKLY!

Omega Reports:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, so what the hell is up with G's voice? Did they not redub it or something? Because that accent completely kills off any (however unlikely) chance of taking him seriously.

Did they have a different voice for him before? Never played Crisis Core so I'm not sure.

• Locked thread