Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And it's still better than Advent Children.

okay now hold on let's not say anything we'll regret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Advent Children was fairly harmless fun, even if it did make Cloud an angsty brooder for the whole film.

And he had a reason and other people constantly told him to knock it off.

DoC's biggest sin is that it's terribly designed. Like forget the broody mc and story, those would be forgivable/enjoyable if the game had good design. But it's really not. The level design is terrible, the enemy design is samey and boring, the mission structure is terrible and it commits first time FPS mistakes that you won't see outside of amateur hour unity projects.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seriously if this game was a bit better, it would be the spirit animal for teenagers. That bit with the Pragsus Riders was amazing :allears:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Only three barrels? Pfft, loser.

When Tri-ace inevitably re-releases the game on PC I hope to god they actually make the guns in battle look like that. Cause no matter what customization you have, the in-battle models don't change.
That game was basically cloth physics simulator first and RPG second.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 18, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"I'm sorry"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The absolute lack of anything when you visit Vincent's room is the single most disappointing part of the game for me.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I loving hate Shelke so much.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I'll spoil it right now because it's one of the stupider retcons in the FFVII series (and I say that as someone who loves Advent Children (gently caress you, movie owns)) and it never comes up in the game except for a lovely post-credits scene.

Crisis Core major spoilers:
It's short for Genesis, a SOLDIER who worked with Sephiroth and Zack's mentor, Angeal (yes, really). He was a sort of Sephiroth V1.5, and like other super SOLDIERs he had a problem where his body would start to decay due to Mako/Jenova cells. He uh...sorta tries to...
okay I don't exactly remember what his deal was. Basically he didn't want to simply waste away so he used his own cells to make copies of himself while simultaneously trying to find a cure for his body's degradation. He also has delusions of grandeur and tries to basically take Sephiroth's place. He also believing that he's the hero of a play called Loveless, which he quotes incessantly (even Sephiroth calls him out on this). The end of the game has him fall into the Lifestream and meets the godess Minerva, the game's post-game boss. She cures his degradation, and the scene fades out before we learn about his fate.
If this sounds schizophrenic, that's because Crisis Core's story is kind of a loving mess.
He's also based on the pop singer Gackt who nobody remembers anymore, even though the guy is kinda insane and basically a real life Nomura character. He claims he's a vampire born in 1540. IIRC Square Enix can't actually use Genesis anymore because Gackt does not allow his likeness to be used for future games :lol:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 22, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I loved the way Vincent finished off Azul. It is so satisfying to watch him get skewered by his own gun after he spent the whole game being a giant smug gently caress.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This level basically demonstrates why I am fascinated by this game. I just don't get what it's trying to do. Is it an arcade shooter where you try to clear the levels as fast as possible a la Vanquish? The rankings at the end certainly seem to suggest this. Then why do you get penalized for damage, when you have no meaningful way to avoid it (unlike Vanquish's cover, slow-mo and cigarette mechanics)? And why are your items so limited and you're penalized for their use?
Are you supposed to methodically take each section room by room? The forcefield mechanic certainly gives that impression (btw the forcefields look like such loving rear end holy poo poo). And that helps avoid dick moves like that barrel. AND it explains sections like the on-rail transport and the turret sections. But if so, why are you graded on time? And again, why don't you have a good way to avoid attacks to help facilitate this?

I've just been playing Shadow Warrior 2 recently and it has similar ideas to DoJ. But while the game has a problem in its stitched together story, short length and repetitive levels, its actual shooting mechanics and upgrades are solid. You have a lot of verticality in the levels and you have a dash you can use to quickly avoid attacks and change momentum in mid-air. So I can see how certain "unfair" enemies can be defeated with some thought and tactics. The game punishes you for dying by making you lose all the EXP you gained towards your next level, which is harsh, but the leveling is flat so it's overall fairly reasonable (and it only happens on the hardest difficulty. And you can reduce it to a 50% loss with upgrades, but I don't).
The game also has a limit break mechanic which charges up through enemy kills and collecting fury items. It charges pretty quickly and there are builds you can dabble in to get it to charge even faster. It makes you functionally immortal, at its max upgrade level all enemies are slowed, you take 50% less damage, deal 50% more damage, you get extra HP and Mana Drain and your melee attacks get blade beams.
DoC doesn't do anything like that with its Limit Breaker. You still take damage, and you're actually slower than usual.
Like SW2 has Problems. A lot of them. But I understand what it was doing and it's still a good game, just not one that's worth the full 60 bucks. I don't get DoC.

Oh and OP also Chapter 6 has the Manaheart on Ex Hard mode. You need to kill a huge charging enemy that comes in right after the Guard Hound part. It's an accessory that gives you passive MP regen.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God I forgot how loving tedious these cutscenes were. Nothing loving happens.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think we're supposed to sympathize with Lucrecia, but I just can't stop laughing at how Vincent got snubbed by loving Hojo of all people.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That reveal btw is :jerkbag: as gently caress. All it's trying to say is that our oh-so-cool villains came from the same tech Sephiroth did.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I don't understand why they put in an unwinnable boss fight into this game. Those only work in JRPGs due to the more slow-paced nature of gameplay.

And yeah, these cutscenes are really SE at their absolute worst. It's their worst habits out in full force.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I would argue that the story would be a lot better if it was just dealing with the fallout of Shinra's other side projects, continuing to hammer the theme that "injecting Jenova into poo poo is Bad". The Tsviets have not bad designs for the most part. I like how Rosso and Azul look, and Weiss works on some level as well even if he is bland. Nero looks loving dumb and is really all of Nomura's bad habits in one package but alright whatever.

I'd expand on Lucrecia more, but I'd shy away from Hojo. Brining him back was a mistake IMO. loving up the world from beyond the grave would fit into the theme that the corporate villains have in FF7.

Even after all is said and done, Genesis (or "G") just isn't a particularly compelling villain. Sephiroth was a compelling villain, and his breakdown in Crisis Core was the best part of the game.
The big issue with the story is that the writers focused too much on what fans liked in FF7 instead of exploring all the other poo poo in the world of FF7.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Agreed. Crisis Core had elements of that which is why it probably comes out better than other FFVII media, but it was still too mired into FFVII's verse to really come together as a whole.

Also, I really loving hate Shelke so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

There's also a hidden item in new game plus which only drops from an enemy that has high HP and is on screen for a shirt period of time! Game mechanics! :suicide:

• Locked thread