Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

Electric Owl posted:

Sure, but since NNick says that you can produce 2 Juicero in the time it'd take to produce 1 iPhone then wouldn't a true price that reflected the exchange value be $350 for the Juicero and $700 for the iPhone? Not $700 equally? I understand how in a system where money already exists you could just as well express this value in dollars but this specific example seems divorced from an objective determination of the commodity's value, no?

Remember:

Value: the objective quality of how much of the mass of total socially necessary abstract labor time went into something

Exchange value: how much of another thing (goods or money) a commodity can command in the market

So price is reflecting "exchange value" either way, but not necessarily "value." Since value can be expressed in terms of money, there are theoretical exchange values that are exactly equal to values, but Ruzihm is correct that this almost never happens in reality. In fact, when it does happen, I'd bet it's more of an accident than anything like a final tendential rest at an equilibrium point, since the market forces are just so vast, varied, and ever shifting. But as mentioned, rather than a commodity just landing on a "wrong" price and staying there, the difference between price and value becomes one major source of market dynamics.

As far as the book goes, value and exchange value are held as equal for simplicity in volume 1, but this assumption is done away with in volume 3.

Edit: since I pagesniped i'm gonna encourage anyone who missed it to jump back and peep Ruzihm's post

Aeolius has issued a correction as of 05:11 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

1-04: Chapters 4, 5 and 6

"What is surplus value, where does it come from, and what is it all about?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCbXOWHVIRw

These shorter, easier chapters take us from exchange to the door of the factory. Chapter 4 has money become our first form of capital in the form of merchant and 'usurious' (for us, 'finance') capital, and raises the riddle of surplus value. Chapter 5 critically examines the idea popular among economists that surplus value can produced in commodity circulation, and finds it wanting. Chapter 6 describes the solution: the special commodity, labour-power.

Timestamps:
0:29:49 - chapter 5
0:47:43 - chapter 6
1:16:00 - concluding remarks on the move from exchange and production and 'bourgeois constitutionality' in each
1:25:35 - Q&A

Peel has issued a correction as of 16:46 on May 1, 2017

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

quote:

The capitalist knows that all commodities, however scurvy they may look, or however badly they may smell, are in faith and in truth money, inwardly circumcised Jews, and what is more, a wonderful means whereby out of money to make more money.
:yikes:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Harvey discusses that & similar statements starting around 0:26:40. Apparently there's a debate between the position that he was just being antisemitic like most of his contemporaries or being ironic & suggesting anti-semitic sentiment is properly directed at capitalists. I think the suggested exoneration is a bit tenuous but I don't know the relevant texts and context in detail.

Marx had Jewish heritage, but his father had converted to Lutheranism before the birth to avoid anti-semitic legislation, and was quite secular (or so wiki tells me).

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Yeah, I had heard Marx had jewish heritage, so I was just surprised by reading that. Thanks for the explanation.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
also that particular passage is just remarking on the commodity's lack of an outward sign of its pedigree.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Electric Owl posted:

Sure, but since NNick says that you can produce 2 Juicero in the time it'd take to produce 1 iPhone then wouldn't a true price that reflected the exchange value be $350 for the Juicero and $700 for the iPhone? Not $700 equally?

I think this point has been made but the 'exchange value' is not value in-itself. Exchange-value is the value a product has in exchange not how useful it is (use-value) or how valuable it is (how much labor time it takes to produce). Society denotes the exchange value through the price of a product through a currency.

There really isn't a 'true price' in relation to value of any commodity. My understanding is the exchange value has no relationship to the use-value or value.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Peel posted:

Harvey discusses that & similar statements starting around 0:26:40. Apparently there's a debate between the position that he was just being antisemitic like most of his contemporaries or being ironic & suggesting anti-semitic sentiment is properly directed at capitalists. I think the suggested exoneration is a bit tenuous but I don't know the relevant texts and context in detail.

Marx had Jewish heritage, but his father had converted to Lutheranism before the birth to avoid anti-semitic legislation, and was quite secular (or so wiki tells me).

I strongly recommend everyone read On the Jewish Question, it is one of Marx's first works and it is short. It explores the tension between political emancipation of the state from religion and allowing for Jews to practice their religion freely. The west has created a free state, but the people are enslaved by religion and capital. It ends on a controversial and anti-Semitic statement (below). He has no nice words for Christianity either. He is the man who said "Religion is the opiate of the masses'", after all.

quote:

Since in civil society the real nature of the Jew has been universally realized and secularized, civil society could not convince the Jew of the unreality of his religious nature, which is indeed only the ideal aspect of practical need. Consequently, not only in the Pentateuch and the Talmud, but in present-day society we find the nature of the modern Jew, and not as an abstract nature but as one that is in the highest degree empirical, not merely as a narrowness of the Jew, but as the Jewish narrowness of society.

Once society has succeeded in abolishing the empirical essence of Judaism – huckstering and its preconditions – the Jew will have become impossible, because his consciousness no longer has an object, because the subjective basis of Judaism, practical need, has been humanized, and because the conflict between man’s individual-sensuous existence and his species-existence has been abolished.

The social emancipation of the Jew is the emancipation of society from Judaism.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1844/jewish-question/

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

My understanding is that exchange-value = value but only under certain ideal conditions. The value provides a sort of baseline or attractor for the exchange value, and is useful for his general theory because of that.

The best analogy I can come up with off the top of my head is that dress (you know the one). It was 'really' one colour but the actual colour perceived was different due to the lighting.

I remember now that I've read OTJQ before, but reading it again will have to wait until tomorrow.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
I think it still stands as a fairly deep work on identity politics but yeah, it does have a couple lines that rattle, given how sensibilities have (mostly) evolved. I've never read Bauer's work ("The Jewish Question") to which Marx was responding, so I can't judge for myself how well those lines stand as direct allusions to prejudicial framings in the original.

Anyway, it is worth reading, but a "short" Marx piece still works out to like 12,000 words. If that seems a tad daunting for lunch break reading, this summary is around a tenth of that.

Also, people tend to read the infamous "opiate" remark as something much more aggressively contemptuous of religion. But it's not so much dismissive namecalling as it is an attempt to characterize its conditions and social role:

quote:

Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Inwardly Circumsized Jews sounds like the name of a great Yiddish crust punk band

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
The difficulty from chapters 1-3 to 4-6 is the difference between night and day.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Aeolius posted:

Also, people tend to read the infamous "opiate" remark as something much more aggressively contemptuous of religion. But it's not so much dismissive namecalling as it is an attempt to characterize its conditions and social role:

This is exactly what the New Atheists always miss. You can shout scientific facts at religious people until you're blue in the face and it won't matter because the social function religion provides is very real.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

1-05: Chapters 7, 8 and 9

"After three hours, or six hours or whatever it is they have reproduced the equivalent of their value, and you then work them for another six hours."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RmtkfVeK7w

This is where Marx's analysis begins to take its famous shape. The first half of chapter 7 is an almost poetic description of what labour is itself. The second half discusses labour as a social process under capitalism generating surplus value. Chapters 8 and 9 develop this analysis into the concepts of constant and variable capital, and bring us to the working day.

Timestamps:
0:11:25 - chapter 7 part 1
0:45:17 - chapter 7 part 2
1:03:31 - chapter 8
1:14:38 - chapter 9

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stale Saltines posted:

This is exactly what the New Atheists always miss. You can shout scientific facts at religious people until you're blue in the face and it won't matter because the social function religion provides is very real.

What Marx is really getting at - as with most of his writing - is that material conditions have a direct effect on the surrounding social environment. It's why, in a single country with a common language and culture, you can have a Christianity that laments the suffering of the poor and curses the rich sitting right alongside a Christianity that claims that God will provide you with bountiful earthly goods if you pray hard enough.

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

Okay, as a recently graduated economics student who has been steeped in neo-classical economics, Marx is doing a lot to totally negate those four years of my life. And don't get me wrong, I'm glad of it. When he talks about the tautology of market equilibrium I realized the extent of the swindle. I've spent four years getting a degree in a bourgeois techno-rhetoric completely divorced from reality. I'm willing to accept that. That being said, I still can't help but constantly contrast what I was taught against what Marx is saying. Particularly in the case of surplus-value.

What I was taught was:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_surplus

Where surplus is generated in the form of currency out of the negative space of what consumers would have been willing to pay for a good and at what price the producer would have been willing to produce it for. So for example, if you would've been willing to pay $10 for a shirt but it was offered on the market for $5, then the economy effectively generates a surplus of $5. This concept is fundamental in the mainstream academic support of Free Trade. The idea being that the lower the costs you can offer consumers, the more economic surplus you generate, and that since Free Trade enables costs to be at their lowest, that everybody therefore wins.

Just to be clear, I don't hold this view. Many however do. So I think it would be beneficial for us to discuss what a Marxist's response to this argument would be since it is so discursively vital to working-class struggle.

So ya, I was just wondering if any goons here could provide an argument before I decided to piss in the pool and offer my own interpretations.

almost there has issued a correction as of 20:11 on May 8, 2017

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Electric Owl posted:

Where surplus is generated in the form of currency out of the negative space of what consumers would have been willing to pay for a good and at what price the producer would have been willing to produce it for. So for example, if you would've been willing to pay $10 for a shirt but it was offered on the market for $5, then the economy effectively generates a surplus of $5. This concept is fundamental in the mainstream academic support of Free Trade. The idea being that the lower the costs you can offer consumers, the more economic surplus you generate, and that since Free Trade enables costs to be at their lowest, that everybody therefore wins.
Exchange produces no increase in aggregate (exchange) value (which is what money is a measure of, mostly). If I pay $5 less than some other price, then what I gain in a better deal, the seller loses. It's incoherent to consider reality vs two different hypothetical situations and consider reality to be an improvement on both of them as if they could both somehow happen simultaneously. Consider reality vs one situation (the seller selling in a market where their product is priced at their limit of acceptable price, OR the buyer buying similarly @ their price limit, OR any other agreeable exchange) and you'll see that any "loss" is an equivalent "gain" to the other party.

This isn't to say exchange is useless. Exchange can result in an increase in aggregate use value. This is because the seller finds no use value in the commodity they own (which is why they are willing to part with it), and the buyer would find a use value (which is why they are willing to buy it). Comparing any single exchange occurring at any mutually agreeable price vs the exchange not occurring shows that the exchange results in an aggregate increase in use value over the exchange not occurring.

Marx really digs into why commerce can not produce (exchange) value in chapter 5. Here's what I said above in marx's words:

quote:

Let us take the process of circulation in a form under which it presents itself as a simple and direct exchange of commodities. This is always the case when two owners of commodities buy from each other, and on the settling day the amounts mutually owing are equal and cancel each other. The money in this case is money of account and serves to express the value of the commodities by their prices, but is not, itself, in the shape of hard cash, confronted with them. So far as regards use-values, it is clear that both parties may gain some advantage. Both part with goods that, as use-values, are of no service to them, and receive others that they can make use of. And there may also be a further gain. A, who sells wine and buys corn, possibly produces more wine, with given labour-time, than farmer B could, and B on the other hand, more corn than wine-grower A could. A, therefore, may get, for the same exchange-value, more corn, and B more wine, than each would respectively get without any exchange by producing his own corn and wine. With reference, therefore, to use-value, there is good ground for saying that “exchange is a transaction by which both sides gain.” [1] It is otherwise with exchange-value. “A man who has plenty of wine and no corn treats with a man who has plenty of corn and no wine; an exchange takes place between them of corn to the value of 50, for wine of the same value.This act produces no increase of exchange-value either for the one or the other; for each of them already possessed, before the exchange, a value equal to that which he acquired by means of that operation.” [2] The result is not altered by introducing money, as a medium of circulation, between the commodities, and making the sale and the purchase two distinct acts. [3] The value of a commodity is expressed in its price before it goes into circulation, and is therefore a precedent condition of circulation, not its result.

Hence, we see that behind all attempts to represent the circulation of commodities as a source of surplus-value, there lurks a quid pro quo, a mixing up of use-value and exchange-value. For instance, Condillac says: “It is not true that on an exchange of commodities we give value for value. On the contrary, each of the two contracting parties in every case, gives a less for a greater value. ... If we really exchanged equal values, neither party could make a profit. And yet, they both gain, or ought to gain. Why? The value of a thing consists solely in its relation to our wants. What is more to the one is less to the other, and vice versâ. ... It is not to be assumed that we offer for sale articles required for our own consumption. ... We wish to part with a useless thing, in order to get one that we need; we want to give less for more. ... It was natural to think that, in an exchange, value was given for value, whenever each of the articles exchanged was of equal value with the same quantity of gold. ... But there is another point to be considered in our calculation. The question is, whether we both exchange something superfluous for something necessary.” [8] We see in this passage, how Condillac not only confuses use-value with exchange-value, but in a really childish manner assumes, that in a society, in which the production of commodities is well developed, each producer produces his own means of subsistence, and throws into circulation only the excess over his own requirements. [9] Still, Condillac’s argument is frequently used by modern economists, more especially when the point is to show, that the exchange of commodities in its developed form, commerce, is productive of surplus-value. For instance, “Commerce ... adds value to products, for the same products in the hands of consumers, are worth more than in the hands of producers, and it may strictly be considered an act of production.” [10] But commodities are not paid for twice over, once on account of their use-value, and again on account of their value. And though the use-value of a commodity is more serviceable to the buyer than to the seller, its money-form is more serviceable to the seller. Would he otherwise sell it? We might therefore just as well say that the buyer performs "strictly an act of production,” by converting stockings, for example, into money.

A may be clever enough to get the advantage of B or C without their being able to retaliate. A sells wine worth £40 to B, and obtains from him in exchange corn to the value of £50. A has converted his £40 into £50, has made more money out of less, and has converted his commodities into capital. Let us examine this a little more closely. Before the exchange we had £40 worth of wine in the hands of A, and £50 worth of corn in those of B, a total value of £90. After the exchange we have still the same total value of £90. The value in circulation has not increased by one iota, it is only distributed differently between A and B. What is a loss of value to B is surplus-value to A; what is “minus” to one is “plus” to the other. The same change would have taken place, if A, without the formality of an exchange, had directly stolen the £10 from B. The sum of the values in circulation can clearly not be augmented by any change in their distribution, any more than the quantity of the precious metals in a country by a Jew selling a Queen Anne’s farthing for a guinea. The capitalist class, as a whole, in any country, cannot over-reach themselves

Completely unrelated, I am on ch 7 and I found this paragraph to be pretty neat for no particular reason. Maybe I just like how it's concise? Idk.

quote:

Two conditions must nevertheless be fulfilled. First, the cotton and spindle must concur in the production of a use-value; they must in the present case become yarn. Value is independent of the particular use-value by which it is borne, but it must be embodied in a use-value of some kind. Secondly, the time occupied in the labour of production must not exceed the time really necessary under the given social conditions of the case. Therefore, if no more than 1 lb. of cotton be requisite to spin 1 lb. of yarn, care must be taken that no more than this weight of cotton is consumed in the production of 1 lb. of yarn; and similarly with regard to the spindle. Though the capitalist have a hobby, and use a gold instead of a steel spindle, yet the only labour that counts for anything in the value of the yarn is that which would be required to produce a steel spindle, because no more is necessary under the given social conditions.

Edit: Just finished ch 7. It reads like a play towards the end. Fun read.

Ruzihm has issued a correction as of 22:20 on May 8, 2017

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

to add (perhaps?) to ruzihm's response, exchange doesn't create value but mediates between equivalents, and underlying the transaction is SNLT (and assumed perfect competition, tending to drive exchange values / prices down to that), which incorporates relative efficiencies (raw material and labor input improvements). so one rough, shorthand way to look at it is that the issue becomes how producer surplus gets divided up after internal and external factors interact to produce a price / exchange value; those involved in active work of some sort obtain more or less of the value of the surplus they've created depending on how much control passive participants (acting in that capacity) can exert. passive participants, in turn, tend to want to pay out only so much of the value of the surplus as is needed to sustain the active ones unless compelled to pay more (despite the fact that active participants created all of the underlying surplus value), taking the difference below then prevailing exchange values / prices.

i'm not an economist and this is probably all wrong

dk2m
May 6, 2009
This might also be wrong, but I'm taking a stab at it (going off the previous 2 responses):

I'm assuming labor cost is the actual "mediator" to the exchange cost, and raw material cost would be considered a "use" value since it is the physical usefulness needed for labor to create the product. So if that's the case, it seems like the Marxist criticism of surplus would be that it's impossible because the exchange value (ie: labor) should be equal for both buyer and seller. If there's a delta, then someone is getting screwed; in pretty much all cases, that would be labor and would be labor exploitation.

However, this doesn't seem to hold for secondary markets (used cars where things like subjectivity seem to be a prime price determinator).

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

dk2m posted:

However, this doesn't seem to hold for secondary markets (used cars where things like subjectivity seem to be a prime price determinator).

i'm still quite new to marxist economics so I might be wrong (probably should have said something in my last post if it wasn't obvious), but this is my best guess for a marxist interpretation of secondary markets:

The usual recipe of creating a used car consists of a new car, gas, and various maintenance supplies. And the usual process of producing the used car consists of running the engine and doing occasional maintenance. And yet, an old car will typically not be more valuable than a new car. How can a marxist justify that?

The first trick is that you must consider the use value that a used car embodies. In short, it is a means of transportation & to a lesser extent freight that is relatively inefficient and sometimes uncertain in its function & safety. Secondly, marxists don't say that all labor that goes into an object provides value to that object, only socially necessary labor. Compared to the amount of average, unskilled labor that goes into a new consumer-grade car, you could easily make a new, yet roughshod car that would operate like a used one using low-quality (and therefore requiring less labor) materials and lower quality assembly. That is the exchange value that secondary market cars compete against. Naturally, factories try to avoid producing fresh lemons because that would damage their reputation, but it has happened before.

In short, it is similar to the "mud pie" problem. Only labor that is socially necessary to produce a comparable use value is relevant.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

I keep coming back to how to interpret a commodity (e.g., a car) being "too expensive" to purchase in marxist terms, since a lack thereof is half of what "surplus in exchange" signifies. This is where I'm currently at:

If the purchaser can not justify the exchange, it merely means that they do not have enough money or commodities to make the exchange justifiable. In other words, the car's use value would only be in so far as a storage of value to trade for something with an immediate use value. Why would that be, specifically?

If the only commodity they can sell is their labor-power, then the socially necessary labor for the reproduction of their labor-power (which is what a wage is) is lower than all of the commodities they would consume anyway plus the car. In other words, a collection of commodities whose total cost is too expensive is socially unnecessary for their labor-power to be reproduced. E.g., It's socially unnecessary for the worker's labor-power to be reproduced for that worker to own a bike AND a car.

If the purchaser receives extracted surplus value... the best thing I can think of is that they have not extracted enough surplus labor to exchange for the additional labor embodied in the car.

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

^I think a sufficient marxist critique of "economic surplus" would really be this simple ( I added "consumer deficit" and "producer deficit" on the graph just in case you don't want to play spot the difference).

The labels "surplus" and "deficit" are inherently deceptive and not at all what's being depicted on that graph. They are just as readily replaced by "consumer gain/loss", and "producer gain/loss". At which point it becomes self-evident the argument is based on a tautology (i.e. every buyer has a seller, and every seller a buyer), because either party's gain will inevitably be the other party's loss at the point of sale. In other words, any "surplus" the consumer makes is by definition offset by an equal producer's "deficit" and vice versa. No actual surplus is generated.

There appears to be some cognitive dissonance in academia since "double-entry", a core principle in the GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), requires accountants to always ensure that Assets= Liability + Equity. In other words, say you pay $30,000 cash for a loom; this would ensure two entries in a company's ledger, one $30,000 gain in "fixed" asset value, in this case a loom, and a simultaneous $30,000 loss in "current" asset value, in this case cash. This is just one example but any purchase made must be recorded as a double entry (a gain explained by a loss) and must always satisfy the equation Assets=Liability+Equity. This is why it's called a BALANCE sheet. Profits don't even come into the ledger until the income statement, where you subtract your net revenue from your cost of goods sold (which include the cost of materials as well as the direct cost of labour). This, to me, seems like a tacit acknowledgement of the inability for exchange to generate surplus value and, simultaneously, an acknowledgement of the appropriation of labour-value. Since, Cost of Goods Sold being measured as a combination of material costs (in which no value can be considered "surplus" since the money paid for these materials is recorded as an equal gain in the acquired asset value) and labour, only labour's productive power can be said to account for the differential between revenue and cost (i.e. surplus value/profit).

The fact that such an obviously absurd and self-satisfying "model" as the economic surplus one is peddled at a mainstream academic level is indicative of total intellectual bankruptcy if u ask me.

almost there has issued a correction as of 07:10 on May 10, 2017

dk2m
May 6, 2009
DISCLAIMER -- I took my last economics classes years and years ago, this could all be wrong. Read at your own risk.

My understanding is surplus COULD be a net benefit to both consumer and producer. As an example:

I would like to purchase a car. From my research, the car I want is $20,000. Thus, I am willing to spend $20,000.

For the sake of this example, let's simplify it and cut out any channels and markups that may occur - I go straight to the manufacturer themselves to buy the car.

In order to incentivize me further, the manufacturer gives me $1000 off. Now, the COGS on this MUST be less than $19,000 otherwise there is no profit motive. For this example, let's say it's $17,000. Thus, the consumer surplus is $1000 because I was willing to spend $20,000 but saved $1000, and the producer surplus is $2000 because seller made a profit for an aggregate of $3000.

I believe the above example is the mainstream view of surplus that is taught in universities. So here are my rambling thoughts:

1) The concept of "willing to spend" itself may be flawed. For the most part, as a laborer, I am not aware of macro trends to supply and demand. A Marxist could say that the rise and fall of commodity prices (from raw materials to finished goods) are largely driven from speculation about the future. If that's the case, what I'm "willing to spend" is always at a disadvantage to what the manufacturer sets their price as due to asymmetry of information. and speculation. A speculation based economy is not tied to anything intrinsic at all, and is thus an illusion. If speculation didn't exist, then there would be no surplus period - buyers and sellers would have the exact same information and could price the good accordingly to the labor input that was required to produce it.

2) Ruzihm's idea of secondary markets - I brought up the used car market because it's a really fascinating area. Let's take the phenomenon of the "Classic" car. These cars are old, they do not have modern safety equipment, nor are they road-worthy as a modern car is. Yet they can command prices excess of over 30,000+ even in bad condition. Why is this? These prices seem arbitrary and seem relative not to the the process of manufacturing it, but to the price of other cars within the market. An 1965 Mustang was not a very well built car in the first place - it isn't a luxury good like a Ferrari. It was and is a "blue-collar" good, originally priced less than the modern adjusted for inflation value they command. I'm still not sure if you can categorize what the "use value" of something like a classic car even is because it ends up taking some sort of Bentham-esque concept of utility - I am "happy" to send that much, even though I realize the classic car itself is inferior in objective ways to modern cars. Perhaps there is some distinction here between "essential" goods like food/water/shelter and "accessory" goods like a classic car.

3) Surplus itself is indirect. Who benefits from surplus? How does money translate from surplus into an economy? As Electric Owl pointed out, business interact on a micro level - income statements and balance sheets point to the structural integrity of the firm itself. Indeed, surplus at a firm level can be interpreted as the cash flow after ops and investment. Taking total net income and adjusting for non-cash activities like depreciation as well as accounting for cash equivalents like liquid securities allow the firm to redirect funds into growing organically via R&D or increasing shareholder value through buybacks. Either way - the surplus that a buyer and seller have apparently generated is just kind of floating somewhere arbitrarily. There is no way to quantitatively associate it with a firm, other than calling it revenue gained (at the margin) or revenue lost (again, at the margin). But this is hilariously flawed - nowhere in the transaction level was this information even recorded.

dk2m has issued a correction as of 15:54 on May 10, 2017

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

dk2m posted:

2) Ruzihm's idea of secondary markets - I brought up the used car market because it's a really fascinating area. Let's take the phenomenon of the "Classic" car. These cars are old, they do not have modern safety equipment, nor are they road-worthy as a modern car is. Yet they can command prices excess of over 30,000+ even in bad condition. Why is this? These prices seem arbitrary and seem relative not to the the process of manufacturing it, but to the price of other cars within the market. An 1965 Mustang was not a very well built car in the first place - it isn't a luxury good like a Ferrari. It was and is a "blue-collar" good, originally priced less than the modern adjusted for inflation value they command. I'm still not sure if you can categorize what the "use value" of something like a classic car even is because it ends up taking some sort of Bentham-esque concept of utility - I am "happy" to send that much, even though I realize the classic car itself is inferior in objective ways to modern cars. Perhaps there is some distinction here between "essential" goods like food/water/shelter and "accessory" goods like a classic car.

This is an interesting point because you're right. A classic car is, by all functional measures of a car, inferior to modern ones, but yet it commands a greater price in certain cases. Why should that be? Well, we know that the existence of a use value in a commodity is determined by the beholder--they are subjective. You could say that for people who have an affinity with a make, model, or just general appearance of a vehicle find a use value in such a car that others would not.

If one's observation of a use value in a given car is only satisfiable if it is an antique, then the necessary labor in fact consists of storage & maintenance/repair of the antique, in addition to the costs of building it in the first place. If you (and others like you) are willing to settle for any antique car of a given year, then there must be socially less necessary labor in finding a qualifying car and repairing it to the necessary level. If you (and others like you) are looking for a specific car of that year, then the socially necessary labor of finding that car, and maintaining it has increased. This is all as usual assuming a fully mature & "equilibrium" exchange market where you, as one additional buyer, do not make an impact on the market.

Even though an antique good is by no means a materially necessary good, it is because of the perception & opinions of the human that it serves a use value. As Marx put it in ch 1, "A commodity is, in the first place, an object outside us, a thing that by its properties satisfies human wants of some sort or another. The nature of such wants, whether, for instance, they spring from the stomach or from fancy, makes no difference." This is key to understanding what is meant by producing primarily for use or in other words "to each according to their needs". Bad Mouse Productions did a pretty good video on the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNxSHcQqiMc

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Your question as stated is badly formed: arguments for free trade aren't based of the supply-demand curve, which attempts to argue that prices converge to an optimal value, but on comparative advantage + specialization. Free trade itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, nor is comparative advantage, it's the distribution of ownership and the proceeds of that surplus that's the problem.

Though that's not to say 'you get an advantage of $5' isn't incredibly problematic, because a) the comparison isn't between what you would pay and would you did, but the opportunity cost of what else you could have done with that money, minus the value you get from the product, and b) The phrase 'willingness to pay' is also troubled, because that 'willingness' is not a static value, it's contextual dependent on how much money you already have (ie - wages). So when you think how valuable $10 is to you, you're going to be comparing that to how easy/hard it is to actually get $10, through labor. So if you're rich, you're 'willingness to pay' is obviously going to be a lot higher than it is if you're poor.

Other problems with the supply-demand curve stuff taught in econ101 include:
  • prices are interdependent, meaning a change in the price of one product changes the demand of all other products - the simplistic notion of the 'curves moving' to adapt to a new prices isn't true, because every curve will change shape in response to every other curve, and of course to other factors like wage levels and such.
  • There'll be a time delay (and eventually a discretization, if you get fine enough) between all price changes. And if you're familiar with even a little bit of chaos theory, you'll know it's possible for unstable solutions to arise from even simple non-linear mappings.
It is therefore not the case that prices will ever converge to an equilibrium value, in fact it's essentially impossible.

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

rudatron posted:

Your question as stated is badly formed: arguments for free trade aren't based of the supply-demand curve, which attempts to argue that prices converge to an optimal value, but on comparative advantage + specialization. Free trade itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, nor is comparative advantage, it's the distribution of ownership and the proceeds of that surplus that's the problem.

I'm not denying that there are a lot of moving parts to the Free Trade argument, but just that this particular aspect of it corresponds to where we are in Kapital and is thus arguable at this point along the reading. The vulgar economists proposed "economic surplus" as an alternative to the Marxian theory of surplus value and so I just thought it would be good to deconstruct that flimsy model considered "mainstream" economics.

But you're right, I think its important to make the distinction between the benefits of Free Trade generally and Free Trade under a capitalist paradigm. When economist vulgaris brings up Adam Smith's Invisible Hand of the Market they tend to leave out his advocacy for the labour theory of value ("Labour...is the real measure of the exchangeable value of all commodities") and his warning of impending inequality under capitalist Free Trade ("All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind"), which is a selection bias worthy of serious examination.

almost there has issued a correction as of 18:44 on May 11, 2017

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Chapter 10 is pretty long, but 11 is short. I'm guessing we're doing 10 and 11 this week.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah. I wasn't able to get started when I wanted so I'm running late, but the post will be up tonight.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Peel posted:

Yeah. I wasn't able to get started when I wanted so I'm running late, but the post will be up tonight.

Didn't mean to rush :buddy: From each according to their posting ability!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's all cool, the Monday schedule has been good for getting me to keep up with this despite the other stuff I'm doing.

1-06: Chapters 10 and 11

"It creates the idea of a working day, a working week, a working year, a working life."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EP7N2VtFz0

Chapter 10 is long but not hard going. It starts with a little bit of theory, but the bulk of the chapter is a historical discussion of ways of extracting surplus value, the effect of industrial labour on the labourer and the struggle over the length and organisation of the English working day. There's not so many dialectical transformations, but a demonstration of the imperatives of value in action and a look at the horrors of the industrial revolution. There's a lot of familiar rhetoric quoted from bourgeois apologists and details of particular industries, and a look at capital carelessly destroying the proletariat it depends on that reminds of modern ecological crises.

Chapter 11 is brief and lays out mathematically some of the implications of the theory.

Timestamps:
0:05:32 - chapter 10
1:34:50 - c10 Q&A
1:42:48 - chapter 11

Peel has issued a correction as of 17:37 on May 22, 2017

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Chapter 11 posted:

This law clearly contradicts all experience based on appearance. Everyone knows that a cotton spinner, who, reckoning the percentage on the whole of his applied capital, employs much constant and little variable capital, does not, on account of this, pocket less profit or surplus-value than a baker, who relatively sets in motion much variable and little constant capital. For the solution of this apparent contradiction, many intermediate terms are as yet wanted,

Chapter 11 is kind of dense and I feel like I might have overlooked something. Did Marx already explain this and is just being coy here or will he explain this later? I'm guessing it has to do with how rates of exploitation can differ.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Peel posted:

Piketty is a social-fascist CIA psyop, the title of his masquerading 'book' should be spelled with three Ks.

I did want to ask about Piketty and his Capital. I haven't had a chance to read it (god knows I haven't taken a stab at reading Kapital since high school) but if heard that his book pretty much reaffirms a lot of what Marx writes in Kapital accept he refuses to accept Marx's solution and instead advocates for an even more unrealistic global wealth tax. How true is this comparison?

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
I've been out for a bit but before we get too far from it, I just want to reiterate how important chapters 4 and 5 are. Chapter 4 should come to mind whenever there's any confusion between the categories of "money" and "capital" — or a failure to recognize the primacy of the latter over the former — and 5 lays out in prose what will eventually be the first of the aggregate equalities (total price = total value) that will be important in Volume 3.

And, also touching upon the reason for it:

Electric Owl posted:

There appears to be some cognitive dissonance in academia since "double-entry", a core principle in the GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), requires accountants to always ensure that Assets= Liability + Equity.

Yes! I'm so glad you're bringing this up, because double-entry bookkeeping was really important to Marx when he was puzzling out value theory. Rob Bryer, a Marxist accountant (which is a phrase that makes me happy for no reason I can articulate), has written at length about this. E.g.:

Bryer posted:

In Marx’s theory, this ‘inkling’, that [capital] gets its surplus only from labour, is embedded within the collective mentality of capitalists as a class, in the collective mentality of ‘total social capital’, signatured today in the universal use of double bookkeeping (DEB) and cost-based accrual accounting (Bryer, 1993, 1999a, 1999b, 2000a, 2006b). Predictably, Marx used DEB to deepen his understanding of ‘total social capital’, the aggregate logic of its circuits of capital, and its control of individual capitalists and their workers. ...

In June 1861, at the beginning of his most productive three years during which he wrote the second draft of Capital and the Theories of Surplus Value in the Economic Manuscript of 1861-1863, Marx asks Engels,

“If it could be done very briefly, without making undue demands on you, I should like to have a sample of Italian book-keeping (with explanations). It would help throw light on Dr Quesnay’s Tableau economique” (Marx and Engels, 1985b, p.381).

From his study of ‘Italian book-keeping’, that is, DEB, Marx would learn how it automatically accounts for flows of capital by simultaneously recording the effect of every transaction as both a source (a credit) and a use (a debit) of capital (Bryer, 1993a). He would also learn that capitalists used DEB to produce integrated departmental profit and loss accounts that calculated profitability as the increment to capital at the level of the individual department and at the level of the firm. This would certainly help him understand that it was necessary to distinguish between ‘capital’ and ‘revenue’ at the level of the individual firm or sectors of production (as Adam Smith did), and at the level of society (which Smith did not). Part 3 argues this was critical to Marx’s understanding of ‘total social capital’ and therefore to his solution of the transformation problem in Volume 3, because it allowed him to reconstruct François Quesnay’s Tableau and to reveal Adam Smith’s “nonsensicality of subsuming the gross product of a society simply under revenue (which may be consumed annually)”. Smith’s accounting was nonsense, Marx discovered, because “if this were so, a society would have to start each year de novo, without capital” (Marx and Engels, 1985b, p.485)!

Also, yeah, neoclassical "consumer surplus" is kind of a weird, dubious construct. All of that stuff about a double-inequality of subjective utilities in exchange doesn't contradict the idea of objective equality, but rather underpins it; it's a presupposition of classical theory that each participant of an exchange wants what they're obtaining more than what they have, so obvious and tautological as to not even warrant mention — which is true of most theoretical uses of subjective utility, in my opinion. That doesn't mean there are no objective terms to the transaction, though, especially when one of the objects of said exchange (money) is acting in a quantifying capacity.

Anyway, I keep hearing that every transaction I've ever conducted has lent me a personal surplus, but no one can tell me how to use this lifetime's worth of accumulation to pay my bills...

Ruzihm posted:

Chapter 11 is kind of dense and I feel like I might have overlooked something. Did Marx already explain this and is just being coy here or will he explain this later? I'm guessing it has to do with how rates of exploitation can differ.

It was a bit of a tease for him to mention profits here, since they're not considered in depth as a category distinct from surplus value until volume 3, by which time we'll have all our "intermediate terms." On the other hand, it was maybe less of a tease at the time it was written because of which economic theories prevailed. Basically, the classicals before Marx (Smith, Ricardo, et al) had worked out that competition creates a tendency of the rate of profit toward equalization, and in its time was so uncontroversial that he could just casually drop an "everyone knows" in there. (In Marx's own development of the idea, competition between workers will tend to equalize the rate of exploitation in parallel to that process.)

In short, a tendency toward a general rate of profit apparently (and remember, Marx always takes pains to distinguish appearance from reality) contradicts the idea that labor generates value, given different capital intensities. This apparent contradiction is what causes surplus value and profit to diverge in empirical terms, but will be ultimately revealed as transfers of surplus value in circulation.

Incidentally, I'm really pleased with how well the book is being understood so far ITT. :)

Aeolius has issued a correction as of 18:37 on May 16, 2017

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

KomradeX posted:

I did want to ask about Piketty and his Capital. I haven't had a chance to read it (god knows I haven't taken a stab at reading Kapital since high school) but if heard that his book pretty much reaffirms a lot of what Marx writes in Kapital accept he refuses to accept Marx's solution and instead advocates for an even more unrealistic global wealth tax. How true is this comparison?

There is simply no comparing Piketty to Marx. Marx uses rigorous dialectical and historical analysis to develop a well-reasoned and radical understanding of capitalist economy as it has occured, while Piketty and other "neo"-classicists come up with increasingly arabesque and arcane maths that consistently fail to pass the reality-check litmus test and, with stunning regularity, favor the status quo and dominance of the ruling class. There is no reconciling the works of either of them.

almost there has issued a correction as of 06:33 on May 17, 2017

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Electric Owl posted:

There is simply no comparing Piketty to Marx. Marx uses rigorous dialectical and historical analysis to develop a well-reasoned and radical understanding of capitalist economy as it has occured, while Piketty and other "neo"-classicists come up with increasingly arabesque and arcane maths that consistently fail to pass the reality-check litmus test and, with stunning regularity, favor the status quo and dominance of the ruling class. There is no reconciling the works of either of them.

Thank you, that clears it up. I should have realized it was something like that from all the positive press the book for.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The primary difference between Piketty and Marx is their respective views on the ultimate source of capitalism's problems. Marx's theory (as revealed in Capital) is that capitalism generates internal contradictions - flaws that are a consequence of its basic functioning - which eventually lead the system into crisis. These crises cannot be solved, merely delayed, because their root cause is fundamental to the operation of the system itself. Piketty believes that these crises and other issues are a consequence of external forces acting on capitalism, disrupting its smooth functioning, and that solving them is a matter of merely implementing external corrections. The positive reviews are principally because the book says what everyone already knows (that the rich are a parasitic form of baggage on society) but proposes a solution (political reforms) that doesn't require a massive upheaval of presently existing systems. I think Piketty's position is hogwash, of course, although you won't really get to what Marx considered the root of the issue until Part 3 of Capital.

Vermain has issued a correction as of 02:36 on May 18, 2017

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Vermain posted:

The positive reviews are principally because the book says what everyone already knows (that the rich are a parasitic form of baggage on society) but proposes a solution (political reforms) that doesn't require a massive upheaval of presently existing systems.

its also funny because piketty more or less admits that even his pissweak "solutions" will never be implemented

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The scale of his reforms are such that, if you ever got the political power to implement them, you may as well just go for full loving worldwide communism anyways.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!
Also, it seems unlikely at best that one could ever obtain that power without worldwide revolution, and that revolution would require the collective political will to implement something far more drastic than moderate reforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah I remeremember most of the discussions of the book were about his comically ineffectual solutions to the problems generated by capitalism. So at least I know now not to bother with picking up his book.

• Locked thread