Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

didn't see the free edition linked so here it is; i have a hard copy so i'm not sure about the translation quality of this version

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/index.htm

marxists.org also has a large library of other works and materials for anyone interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

to add (perhaps?) to ruzihm's response, exchange doesn't create value but mediates between equivalents, and underlying the transaction is SNLT (and assumed perfect competition, tending to drive exchange values / prices down to that), which incorporates relative efficiencies (raw material and labor input improvements). so one rough, shorthand way to look at it is that the issue becomes how producer surplus gets divided up after internal and external factors interact to produce a price / exchange value; those involved in active work of some sort obtain more or less of the value of the surplus they've created depending on how much control passive participants (acting in that capacity) can exert. passive participants, in turn, tend to want to pay out only so much of the value of the surplus as is needed to sustain the active ones unless compelled to pay more (despite the fact that active participants created all of the underlying surplus value), taking the difference below then prevailing exchange values / prices.

i'm not an economist and this is probably all wrong

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Vermain posted:

I mean, it's truly, staggeringly mind-boggling in a certain way that an economic system based entirely on the accrual of power by private, unaccountable individuals - where the vast majority of people labour under them with no recourse against their predations, save to beg for scraps from a different master - managed to pass itself off as a system of ultimate freedom for so long.

when you pull back and look at the system as a whole, in all its glory, it is endlessly disgusting, not least because at that point you see so many others stuck within framing and assumptions that cause them either to be oblivious to the myriad harms that inhere in the system or to buy into and support it

for me, this means that re reading capital, while always fascinating and an intellectual adventure, is also depressing and disheartening

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Hey Peel is there a particular hard copy translation that's better than others? Would like to get vol 2 in that form if there's a worthwhile translation. (If not, I'll work with the free online version.)

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Peel posted:

for any book readers not familiar with asdf he has a long history of walking into marxism discussions and trapping them for pages on end in circular arguments over basic concepts, while making confident pronouncements to people who have more relevant knowledge than he does, which is why we are being short in this of all threads

but i forgot to answer this:

Harvey uses the Penguin Classics translation, which is also the version I have in ebook. I don't know what the alternatives are, but if it's good enough for a marxist professor...

Perfect, thank you Peel!

• Locked thread