Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
this is a cool fuckin thread and cool fuckin book good fuckin job OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Electric Owl posted:

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, you can't express exchange value in terms of a price. I mean you technically could if you had a True price that reflected the objective value of the goods, but that's not the case in your example (or capitalism generally for that matter). Exchange value is meant to reflect the tradeoff between socially necessary labour-time between different commodities. Which you mention in the lead up to that, but I just wanted to clarify that for you because that's a potentially deadly mistake to make since it assumes a subjective determination of value.

Anyways, am I alone in thinking that this book is really sort of psychedelic? The idea that "things" aren't, like, just "things" bro, they're social hieroglyphics that signify underlying labour is a trip to think about. When I walk into supermarkets I can't help but imagine all the factory worker's absent stares, vats, and sheet metal gizmos behind every thing anymore. Also, the idea that the preconditions of the nature of commodities just sort of naturally unfold into developments of money and stuff seems like it says something about free will that Marx doesn't comment on. Just a bunch of "woah" moments for me so far.

You are not alone!!

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Peel posted:

1-05: Chapters 7, 8 and 9

"After three hours, or six hours or whatever it is they have reproduced the equivalent of their value, and you then work them for another six hours."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RmtkfVeK7w

This is where Marx's analysis begins to take its famous shape. The first half of chapter 7 is an almost poetic description of what labour is itself. The second half discusses labour as a social process under capitalism generating surplus value. Chapters 8 and 9 develop this analysis into the concepts of constant and variable capital, and bring us to the working day.

Timestamps:
0:11:25 - chapter 7 part 1
0:45:17 - chapter 7 part 2
1:03:31 - chapter 8
1:14:38 - chapter 9

:bisonyes:

• Locked thread