Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Hell yeah let's do this. :redflag:

Anyone else have the Penguin edition? Because part of me kind of wants to tackle this gigantic introduction and the rest of me really doesn't, so if anyone strongly recommends/strongly recommends against reading it I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Peel posted:

For me the most interesting question coming out of these chapters is how Marx's approach to money need be updated for the fiat era, but chapter 3 is also about money so there's a limit to how far we can go with that.

I don't know that fiat currency requires an update, it seemed to me Marx was arguing that money becomes A Thing (TM) because it acquires a perceived position as the final arbiter on relative value. A fiat currency then replaces something with a certain perceived value and a high labor value (like gold mined from the hills) with something with an equivalent perceived value and a lower labor value.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

That's a good point, but I'm skeptical that money "must" be a commodity in order for Marx's theory to work given some of his objections to Proudhon and then-contemporary pro-labor voucher anarchists. Perhaps there'll be more coverage in Chapter Three.

In any case I am honestly surprised at how comparatively readable the first two chapters are. I was expecting something... drier? More convoluted? It strikes a nice balance between scientific writing and more traditional prose.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Aeolius posted:

I can upload some supplemental papers I found helpful on this when I get home.

I'd certainly be interested; I like this idea that gold is still money even though it no longer "formally" backs up the value of currency as that definitely tracks with how I see people commenting on the markets.

• Locked thread