Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who shall we play as?
This poll is closed.
The Good Guys! (Federation) 14 14.58%
Space Fascists (Cardassians) 39 40.63%
Space Bankers (Ferengi) 17 17.71%
Space Mongol Horde (Klingons) 17 17.71%
Easy Mode (Romulans) 9 9.38%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Alright, so far we're opting for peaceful relations with the Mintakans.

Nelvana seems to be our preferred colony with 2 votes, the other options having 1 each.

Out at lunch currently, when I get home I'll process our turn and post an update. So you have until then if you haven't voted and a want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I vote for Denius for colonization.

Diplomacy for the Mintakans.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We officially decide to pursue peaceful relations with the Mintakans, this was a wise decision. They actually made the first overtures to us...

Apparently they want to go all the way on the first date...
Our options here are to either Accept or Reject this proposal. BotF veterans will likely know that there's a third option to Ignore it by simply not responding. This is essentially let's you Reject something with a less severe penalty. It feels a little gamey to me, so for the purposes of this Let's Play we have to either Accept or Reject each offer/demand.
Absorbing the Mintakans at this point means we'll have to build up and develop their system ourselves. If we reject their proposal we should be able to establish a Friendship or Affliation treaty, allowing us to place a trade route between Cardassia and Mintaka. This will increase our per turn Credit income and will help the Mintakans develop faster.

As the vote between Denius and Nelvana was tied at 2 a piece, I'm going to act as the tiebreaker. Because Denius can be terraformed and colonized more quickly that is where our lone Colony Ship is headed.

As you can see, one of our Scouts was able to survey another system, Kraus. While it is currently outside the range of our Colony Ship, it provides a 40% boost to Food Production and can support a population of 325 million once fully terraformed. The quickest means to reach this highly valuable system would be to build an Outpost somewhere along the edges of our Medium range. I would suggest our best options are either over Denius, where it can provide both defense and range, the sector directly north of Kraus, or the sector two west of that sector. Suggestions for other options will be considered. But to build an Outpost we'll need Troop Transports, which brings me to Cardassias production queue.

Obviously we should queue up some additional ships. I would suggest Destroyers and Troop Transports be our priority. However, I would like suggestions for what exactly our queue should look like. Even changes to how many Colony Ships we should have queued up. However, the first Colony Ship will remain in queue no matter what as we've alreadly invested 1 turn of Industrial production into it.

It is time for the Goontapa Council to vote.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
We must continue on our glorious course! Accept the Mintakains wise decision to not oppose us. To spread our mighty influence we must have mighty ships! Construction of Troop Transports and Destroyers are essential to our local security as well as our destiny in the stars. To further those goals we should establish a safe haven for our people, a place for contemplation and rest.. like a military outpost on Denius. From there we will see the universe and mold it to our will.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
absorb with full representation

We are the federation now :getin:

troop carrier and two scouts

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

if the Mintakans trust us that much already who are we to brush them off. If they get uppity later we can always remind them that they willingly got in bed with us before asking questions.

I have no strong opinions on outpost placement but we should build one where it makes the most tactical sense

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for acceptance of the Mintakan proposal. After we accept we should have a spare colony ship go down to terraform the rest of thier worlds up to normal standards before it goes to another target. Terraforming thier worlds is not priority - we should get all viable planets in range before doing so, but is definitely worth it.

I'd vote for the placement of an Outpost at Denius as this world will eventually be a major industrial center for us and early protection helps.

After an outpost at Denius is established I vote to get a colony at Kraius.

I also feel like early game that two Destroyers should be satisfactory for early defense forces. Our scanners aren't picking up any other ships of independent species or other stellar empires for the moment, so this should be sufficient for an early game defense force to deal with scouts or randomly patrolling starships.

Also in scouting we should prioritize zones with planets in range. Unknown starships or planets with starships in orbit should be evaluated carefully before approaching.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Free Minions? Join this team!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Accept their proposal. Delaying could mean free improvements, but accepting means free dilithium. No comparison.

Drop the colony ship queue to 2, then use them to rapidly develop Denius, settle it, and send the last one to cardassiaform Mintaka.

Maybe break it up into colony ship->transport->colony ship, so you can build an outpost that much quicker.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Something like:

2 Colony Ships
2 Troop Transports
2 Destroyers
2 Colony Ships

That about right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are colony ships the only terraformers or can you build terraform-only starships at some point?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Colony Ships are your only terraformers.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Well if the people are so ready to throw themselves into the service of the Union then we don't want to set a bad precedent by ignoring them. Also I agree with Aquinas.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

And so, the Cardassian Union has finally expanded and gained some much needed breathing room.

You may notice the sensor contact directly east of our Scout. It represents a warp signature of an unidentified alien vessel, the first such contact in the history of our people. It is however, beyond the range of our vessels at this time. With that in mind, I will move that Scout to Denius and provide protection for our unarmed Colony Ship.

Per the advice of the council, I present our revised construction queue...

Now, for the most important bit of this update, the newly acquired Mintaka system.

Clearly, these Mintakans will need all the help we can give them to turn them into valuable members of our empire. We simply must provide them with the means of production. Industrialization will allow the Mintakans to advance more quickly in all other avenues.

How shall we fill the Mintakan construction queue? What should we prioritize to best exploit our new friends?

Now, early on with so little happening per turn, I will skip turns until something actually happens worth voting on or writing about. There'll be less skipping as we go on, eventually we won't be able to skip a single turn. So, with that in mind, I did queue up 1 Assembly Yard on Mintaka and then advance a couple more turns. Now is also a good time to mention that we can simply purchase something in our build queue for credits. Rather than wait the full 8 turns for that first Assembly Yard, we can buy it. Full price is only 110 credits for an Assembly Yard, so this could be a good option for building up Mintaka quickly.

Another system has been surveyed, Malurian can support a population of 170 and has a 25% Food bonus and 50% Energy. It's basically Denius II: Denius Harder. Obviously a potentially valuable system in the future once we can reach it. We also can see 2 additional systems to survey. You'll also notice we have a ship in Persephone, that's our new Colony Ship, en route to Denius to speed up the terraforming process.

More interestingly, yet another unidentified warp signature and this one is within reach of our Scout. We can either seek or avoid contact.

So, two orders of business here. A production queue for Mintaka and a preferred course of action for that unidentified warp signature. And feel free to make suggestions for things I didn't even think of.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Vote for buying an Assembly Yard in Mintaka to speed production, and after that upgrading thier farms and infrastructure. As soon as one is available tha tis not tasked on colonizing another system, a colony ship should be sent to terraform the system to help it grow and expand.

A Scout should be sent towards the approahing ship that is unknown, but set to 'avoid' so we don't risk losing it. If the enemy ship is hostile warp out. If possible, attempt to hail them to establish lines of communication.

At the moment, at most we have three systems in our borders that are possible colonies, two of which are worth colonizing for now and one of which alraedy has a colony ship in orbit. I feel we should build two more colony ships - one to have on hand for our next colony, a second to terraform Mintaka and then by that point hopefully we will have other targets for colonization to use it on as we expand.

Also, I vote for the construction of two destroyers and at lesat one troop transport to be put in Denius and build an Outpost there. A second troop transport is optional to build an outpost in Cardassia. Two Destroyers should for now be enough unless we encounter a hostile species.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
What could our brave soldiers have to fear? We should investigate the southern warp signature and determine if it is reasonable or destroyable.

Continue development of the Mintakins. But we need more room, so exploration is absolutely necessary!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Just to be clear wedgekree, it sounds like you're good with the current construction queue? 2 Transports is really the minimum we want to build an Outpost. Even with 2 it's going to be very slow going.

As for Mintaka, I can easily buy out the Assembly Yard we're building, but are you sure you only want to build 1? Each Yard with an assigned Pop increases our Industrial output, which speeds up construction of everything else. As of now, build 1 yard and upgrade the Farms and power infrastructure is what I have you down for.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Please buy a fusion plant and hydrophonic farm on Mintaka to bring them the future. they build a research building while we terraform.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
IIRC, if you group a colony ship and a troop transport together into a fleet of two ships they can terraform any planet in a single turn. I don't know if that's a feature or a bug, but I always abuse the heck out of it when I play. I just assume the extra man power helps the colonists work faster.

However with this being Cardassia maybe they just feel threatened by the presence of the army and cut a bunch of corners to finish on time.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Interesting, I'll try that. I'm not familiar with that exploit. My go to was the build-scrap trick. Find the ship that had the highest cost within a short build time and just chain build and then scrap them. You'd get rich silly fast.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Question: Can we use the Mintakans as slave labor?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The closest you can really come to that is building a Forced Labor Farm. Which increases your Food production by +60 (not %, just 60 points straight) but with a -1 Morale penalty. Considering the Mintakans special structure is a building that increases Food Production by +100% for no energy upkeep or penalty, I'm not sure it makes sense to do that.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yes to query good with current construction queue. Thinking if other folks have better ones can definitely go with them, but we want to build up our territory and population as effectively as we can.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Mintakans are natural allies to the Cardassians. Both put aside their spiritual side.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

The Mintakans are natural allies to the Cardassians. Both put aside their spiritual side.

Perhaps, but there may yet be value to nurturing this "Cult of The Dukat" that we have been hearing about.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, it looks like there are a couple of steps on a planet - total tech level of production facilities and total number.

Is there some kind of difference costwise or timewise between buying a bunch of low-tech farms and teching up, versus teching up farms and then buying a lot?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Cost of upgrades is based upon total numbers of a facility present - it costs more to upgrade five level two factories to level three than it does to upgrade two factories to level three.

But upgrading is slow process and also expensive, so really the only wya to do small numbers of things is if you purchase them to increase, which is repetitive nd requires attention. Early game you don't have a lot of credits, end-game wehre you do it's not really worth it to boost a new colony when you have your core regions.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Glazius posted:

Oh, it looks like there are a couple of steps on a planet - total tech level of production facilities and total number.

Is there some kind of difference costwise or timewise between buying a bunch of low-tech farms and teching up, versus teching up farms and then buying a lot?

Not really. It takes loving forever to get colonies up to speed, which is one of the major flaws of the game.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Not really. It takes loving forever to get colonies up to speed, which is one of the major flaws of the game.

i estimate this let's play will take approximately two and a half years to complete

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, by late midgame generally you aren't bothering with new colonies - new areas you get are by conquest or convincing independent allies to join you. It just takes too long to get new colonies up to the point where they're productive otherwise. The exception being if a colony has dilithium or is in a nice strategic position and you can in turn use ti to boost your operational range of starships or claim territory wtih.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a mod that gets rid of building upgrades and its seriously one of the best ideas I've ever seen.

edit: And I tried the 1 Colony Ship + 1 Troop Transport trick in another game, and it really does terraform any planet in a single turn. Crazy. Also, update incoming.

edit 2 - edit harder: Well this certainly didn't take long...

Shall we Hail them or Fight them? Keep in mind our Scouts aren't terribly powerful and we have no idea how powerful their ship is by comparison. This also brings up another interesting point, I've been trying to work out how to deal with combat. It's really not practical to consult the thread for every combat turn, so I've been thinking that you guys get to vote on the Hail/Fight decisions and then I'll resolve combat. The question after that is, fight the actual battles or auto-resolve. What do you guys think? Any better suggestions?

Q_res fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 18, 2017

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
None shall stand before our growing empire.

Fight!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I don't think out scouts even have weapons.

Hail

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Just for the record, our Scouts are indeed armed. Ships are defined by hitpoints in this game.

Nerok class Scout Ship
Shields : 80
Hull : 30
Phasers : 2/16
Torpedos : 2/28

For comparison, our Destroyers (once we build some) look like this

Netel class Destroyer
Shields: 140
Hull: 100
Phasers: 6/23
Torpedoes : 3/36

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

I know we're Cardassia and all, but shoot first ask questions later is a foolish first contact policy. Hail

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
We entered their space; we should hail them.

If they warp into our space (or they open fire after hailing) we destroy them.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Q_res posted:

Nerok class Scout Ship

Netel class Destroyer

I assume those weapons are; '# hardpoints / # damage points per attack' or similar?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Oops, yeah. It's number of that weapon type it can fire/damage each one does if it hits.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 18, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Hail. the worst that can happen is a minor race ship strafes our scout, and we warp out the turn after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

we should hail them, no need to pick a fight when we could find more people to convince to join our empire

• Locked thread