Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who shall we play as?
This poll is closed.
The Good Guys! (Federation) 14 14.58%
Space Fascists (Cardassians) 39 40.63%
Space Bankers (Ferengi) 17 17.71%
Space Mongol Horde (Klingons) 17 17.71%
Easy Mode (Romulans) 9 9.38%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hail. We don't have the forces yet to back up shotgunning the Vulcan delegate when he lands for first contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hail and fight big battles, auto small poo poo

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kazinsal posted:

Hail. We don't have the forces yet to back up shotgunning the Vulcan delegate when he lands for first contact.

That didn't stop Mirror Zephram Cochrane!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
FIGHT

Diplomacy is for the weak.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Hail. We can always blast them into oblivion when we have better ships.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Standard Cardassian policy is to dominate then negotiate then show them how wrong they were to oppose you to begin with.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hail them. After all, we aren't Klingons, butting heads with everyone in the galaxy just for the sake of the battle. If these aliens can be persuaded to submit to Cardassian rule without a fight, so much the better. And if not, well, our military capability isn't going anywhere. In fact it will be greatly improving in the near future.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
With 9 votes in favor of Hail versus 2 in favor of fighting, our Scout ship attempted to make peaceful contact with this new race known as Ktarians. For their trouble, our helpless Scout was destroyed. Attacked without provocation by these primitive savages.

Fortunately, the crew of the CDS Traveler was able to attach a copy of its sensor logs to a distress beacon and jettison it into space before their warp core went critical. As you can you see, the Ktarian system is potentially quite valuable. With a 50% Food production bonus and a cumulative 125% (!!) bonus to Energy production, Dilithium and the ability to support a population of 470 once fully terraformed. Whatever our response, the Ktarians must be brought into the fold. By whatever means are required.

What will be the official response of the Goontapa Council?

Also found among the Traveler's records were the subspace radio frequencies utilized by the Ktarians. With this information turned over to intelligence operatives they have monitored Ktarian communications. So far they haven't revealed much, save mentions of what appears to be yet another race, known as the Ferengi.

We still have two excess units of Energy production here in Cardassia. Shall we leave it as is, build 2 more Assembly Yards to increase production rates, or build 2 more Research facilities to help us unlock new and more advanced technologies? Or should we split the difference and build 1 of each?

It may also be worth considering building additional ships, particularly if we wish to mount a military response to the Ktarians destruction of our Scout vessel.

Furthermore, I've issued preliminary orders to our Scout in Denius to move 3 sectors galactic west of their current location and survey that unknown star system. Unless the Council wishes to divert our Scout elsewhere? One last proposal, we're a mere 2 weeks from completion of our second Troop Transport. Per the Council we had intended to direct them to Denius to build an Outpost, however a number of our Guls wish to redirect them to the currently unknown star system. If that system proves usable, they wish to build the Outpost there instead, bringing Ktaria within range of our non-Scout vessels.

Stick with the plan, or divert and build our Outpost in the West?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Whatever happens, we must Punish the Ktarians.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
redirect the transport only after terraforming. Then more into construction yards as we will be taking the fight to the enemy. As it is said the best victory is when the enemy knows they should of never challenged you in the first place.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Terok Nor will be built in the Ktarian system in this continuity. Show them what it truly means to oppose Cardassia.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Divert to the unknown system in order to extend the reach of our warships towards Ktaria. We need to focus on subjugating them before they make friends with another major power, such as the Ferengi.

Reallocate workers on Cardassia from Power to Industry, as we are creating a surplus of power which is going to waste. More industry means more ships for the coming war, we can focus on science later.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 19, 2017

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Friends, there are truths in our time. We will find enemies everywhere and we must be ready. Empires are built not with sweat but paid with the blood of patriots. More will be needed...

So once again I say to you, friends.

FIGHT!

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

We must invade and subjugate the Ktarians so they might know the error of their ways.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Let history reflect that Mighty and Benevolent Cardassia, her hand outstretched in peace, had it slapped away by the petty and vicious Ktarians. So it is upon us now to enact Justice for the loss of the Traveler and her crew, and prevent these barbaric peoples from harming another, ever again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now I'm hearing Dukat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL8Sm_J262A&t=187s

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

yeeess

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sub-ju-gate! Sub-ju-gate!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Q_res posted:

We still have two excess units of Energy production here in Cardassia. Shall we leave it as is, build 2 more Assembly Yards to increase production rates, or build 2 more Research facilities to help us unlock new and more advanced technologies? Or should we split the difference and build 1 of each?

Research Facilities.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Vote for assault towards Ktar at earliest feasible opportunity, that system looks like it will be effective.

Vote for increase in research facilities and maintaining our scout on exploration. Vote that our assault force should consist of 2x troop trnasports and one destroyer at /minimum/ even if they only have one planet.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

We'll want at least 2-3 Destroyers and least 2 Troop Transports because they have an orbital battery. The first ship in the attacking fleet will likely be destroyed by the battery, but the other destroyer(s) will do enough damage to the planet's infrastructure that they will be unable to power the battery in future assaults (if we fail to take the planet in one turn.) Don't forget, they are a warp capable species and possess at least one ship we may have to destroy in battle.

Their population is small enough that, if we were a militant people, we could glass their planet from orbit with merely a few ships over a few short weeks.

But we are not barbarians, their subjugation will be a mercy.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 19, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, the reason we might not want to wipe them out entirely is that, if we do that we can't build their special structure. And the Ktarians have a really good one, it provides a 50% bonus to the amount of Intel points you sink into Sabotage.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The long view is the wise view; maximize our Research capability.

I do recognize that this might (slightly) delay us in dealing with the Ktarian savages, and in avenging the noble Cardassians aboard that scout ship. But we will deal with them in due course. And perhaps I was too hasty in running down the Klingons earlier, as one of their old proverbs seems particularly apt right now: Revenge is a dish that is best served cold. If we attack now, with only the weak forces that we can muster at extreme long range, they might see it as a battle of equals that they just barely lost. Rebellions and uprisings would surely result, for decades if not centuries into the future. It would be better, I think, to build up our might and then smash them definitively.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
If they have an orbital battery, send a Scout with the fleet to act as a buffer to the battery.

That's waht Scouts are good for - exploration, orbital battery soaks, and occasional mass rammings of Borg

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

Well, the reason we might not want to wipe them out entirely is that, if we do that we can't build their special structure. And the Ktarians have a really good one, it provides a 50% bonus to the amount of Intel points you sink into Sabotage.

We need this more than any katarian ever in the history of the planet

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

- I think that we should apologize for this incident to the Ktarians and let our diplomatic corps deal with the situation.

*Uncomfortable silence falls on the conference chamber in Central Command, the only thing that's heard is someone whispering: "wait, which corps?"

- Nah, I'm just pulling your neck-bone, we should invade immediately and benevolently subjugate them to our enlightened rule.

*Thunderous applause and cheering echoes through the room while Obsidian agents slowly reholster their phasors.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pakled posted:

There is only one choice.

I mean, we all know the president is a Ferengi.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

tadashi posted:

I mean, we all know the president is a Ferengi.

But he has such tiny lobes?!

:suicide:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I was out of town for the weekend, and I'm building a new computer this weekend, but I'm going to try to get a couple updates done in between. As it stands now, we're definitely going after the Ktarians (this is the most lopsided vote since the race choice), Industry vs Research is split 2 to 3 in favor of Research right now.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

With our Scout moved into position we get our first in-depth scans of a Ktarian warship. While its hull is quite weak, even compared to our Scouts, it has very formidable shielding. Nearly 30% stronger than the shielding on our Destroyers. It's no wonder the Traveler was destroyed, even with 100% accuracy, their opening salvo wouldn't have depleted that ships shields by even half. Offensive capabilities are still unknown, but suffice to say we should consider this ship a formidable foe until proven otherwise.

On a more positive note, our Scout has managed to survey the previously unknown Sirius system. The results are better than we could have hoped. It can support a population of 325 with 35% Food bonus and 150% Energy bonus. No Dilithium, but that hardly hurts its value to us.

Two weeks after our survey of the Sirius system, we've achieved yet another milestone for the Union. Our first colony.

We must set a path forward for our loyal citizens braving the rigors of new worlds far from the comforting guidance of Cardassia. As you can see, the lack of industry structures will hinder them quite a bit. I would suggest spending the funds to purchase an Industry structure for them and then laying out suggestions for the queue.

Additionally, in keeping with the wishes of the Council 2 Research facilites were added to the queue here on Cardassia. Also in keeping with the rulings of the Council, our Colony Ships and Troop Transports are currently en route to Nelvana for Terraforming duty.

There is one, last order of business. The diplomatic response from the Ktarians to The Traveler Incident.

They believe we are equally at fault, if not more so. The incident has been classified as an act of self defense against an unknown vessel violating their sovereign territory. That the Traveler attempted to Hail them is pointedly ignored in the official report they've sent us. This is an outrage and an insult to every loyal Cardassian who died upon the Traveler. Our Guls have sworn that the Ktarians will be made to see the depth of their error.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

I don't remember much about this game, but I do remember my SOP for colonies in 4X games, that being Industry, Food, Industry, and then branching out into whatever branch (production, food/goods, research) the Colony is getting dedicated to. As Research has been chosen as the focus on Cardassia, and Agriculture is what the Mintakans are good at, I'd recommend turning Denius into an industrial world, whatever that entails.

Also Operation "Listen here you little shits" has my support.

Cimbri fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 26, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Food is a bit funny in this game. Food is only good for the planet it's farmed on. Each unit of population dedicated to a farm produces a set amount based on its tech level, and population only grows if you have food for them. Upgrading farms is a question of whether the time it takes is worth the units you can reassign based on the new efficiency. Usually it isn't.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Oh, hrm, how good are the Mintakans at generating Income then? Because that's the only other thing I can think of to focus on other than "Building things" and "Learning things". If the answer is "not great" we should considering how profitable Denius can be, as money can be used to jumpstart some other colony.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Cimbri posted:

Oh, hrm, how good are the Mintakans at generating Income then? Because that's the only other thing I can think of to focus on other than "Building things" and "Learning things". If the answer is "not great" we should considering how profitable Denius can be, as money can be used to jumpstart some other colony.

Well, since their special building generates a huge amount of food, it's really based on how big their system is. A 130 max system is...not great. Really, their big draw will be dilithium generation, maybe trade. The total pop isn't good enough for industry, but they can be a decent research farm.

Edit: Oh, thought it was 130 even with terraforming--other planets looked a bit on the small side so it didn't seem out of the question. Yeah, 270 is very healthy for production, especially if you need hardly anyone sentenced to glorious work details on the farms.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 26, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, the Mintakan system is only limited to a pop of 130 because we haven't terraformed it yet. If we terraform the rest of the planets we can get that up to 270 with a built-in Food production bonus. Really, you want your highest production systems to be Industry based so you can crank out ships. Your smaller systems, I typically decide on either Intel or Research for each system and focus them there. 2 Research buildings in Cardassia is very much not what I would have done myself, so I'm curious to see how it turns out.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Cimbri posted:

Operation "Listen here you little shits" has my support.

I'll second this.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Denius' small max population size makes it unsuitable for Industry. I move that we transform it into a research center for our empire. We should purchase the facilities rather than build them, this alleviates the need to build factories there.

We should also move to establish an Industrial colony and a shipyard at Sirius, its high max population will make it an excellent center for Military operations.

We will at some point need espionage facilities, but to build them now would be premature. The Ktarians require a firm hand, not the quiet guiding force of our intelligence agencies. Those we will reserve for more civilized enemies.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Miles McCloud posted:

Denius' small max population size makes it unsuitable for Industry. I move that we transform it into a research center for our empire. We should purchase the facilities rather than build them, this alleviates the need to build factories there.

We should also move to establish an Industrial colony and a shipyard at Sirius, its high max population will make it an excellent center for Military operations.

We will at some point need espionage facilities, but to build them now would be premature. The Ktarians require a firm hand, not the quiet guiding force of our intelligence agencies. Those we will reserve for more civilized enemies.

These are good ideas that have vote, although with the stipulation that we prioritize Sirius over buying the facilities, while research is nice we do actually need some ships to go "educate" the Ktarians.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

With the Ktarians already in contact with the Ferengi, there's really no way we'll get Sirius built up to usefulness before we'll need to attack the Ktarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Attention Council Members! We've just received a Code Black Priority transmission from the Obsidian Order.

Intercepted communications from the Ktarians recently began making references to Ferengi warships utilizing the Ktarian shipyard facilities. A combination of discreet inquiries from our diplomatic corps as well as deep cover agents of the Order have verified the signing of a treaty between the two races.

Such a close relationship (Affiliation is the highest level of treaty a Minor can have with a Major race before outright Membership) could undermine our plans for the Ktarians. Our Guls are requesting immediate authorization to divert our terraforming fleets directly to Sirius to construct an Outpost and have the remaining Troop Transport and 2 Colony Ships Assault the Ktarian home system once that is completed. While the Colony Ships are not directly useful in such a manner it is hoped that they might proved a distraction and therefore protection for the Transport. Furthermore they would like to immediately cancel production of our next Colony Ship to concentrate on our Destroyers, so that the 2 Destroyers and 1 Scout ship may assist with the assault on the Ktarians.

A prompt response on this matter is necessary, as it will likely change the face of our empire for years to come.

I await your decision. With that pressing matter out of the way, I did wish to provide an update on the construction queue in Denius.

• Locked thread