Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
aw hell yeah its that time of the year again where we all come together and talk about some OLD rear end CELLULAR PHONES

i'm talkin some REAL old phones

we're talkin some serious OLD phone

hell there might even be room enough in this thread for some OLD PHONE chat

the sky is the limit in OLD PHONE THREAD!!! post em if you got em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
I like 2 keep it oldskool

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
Let's make and receive some cellular phone calls op.

*opens a terminal and starts typing AT commands*

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Now we're talkin!

My favorite is the kind you had to carry around in a suitcase. For the caller on the GO.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
if you don't have a phone bolted to the center floor board of your car, i don't know you :cmon:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
EHLO mydad.somethingawful.com

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hardawn posted:

if you don't have a phone bolted to the center floor board of your car, i don't know you :cmon:

with the squishy buttons

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Hardawn posted:

That's when they were called CAR PHONES. Then it was mobile phones, then everyone settled on cell, which is short for cellular, but what does that even mean? A cellular phone? Gross.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Actually, I had a friend who insisted it was spelled "cel" with one L. So I wrote it down in my address book as her "cel" number. One time she and her mom called me (on a regular phone) because they had forgotten how to spell the word "shoe" so who knows?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

look at the price tag on this baby! yowza!! :eyepop:

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Damnnnnn, in 80s dollars?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
learning a lot thank OP

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Hardawn posted:

Damnnnnn, in 80s dollars?

yes!! is this crazy or what?!

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

This is me, talking to the ladies

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
By "ladies" I meant everyone's mom :smuggo:

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
:siren: IMPORTANT UPDATE :siren:

The scope of this thread is expanding!

You can now legally talk about not just REAL OLD PHONES but also KINDA OLD PHONES

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Iron Prince posted:

You can now legally talk about not just REAL OLD PHONES but also KINDA OLD PHONES

I read they made a new one of this kind. Where it is or how to get it, I dunno. But there is a new one. Of that sort in the picture.

Phones these days are serious. I would imagine most of the people who read this are reading it on a phone. Disgusting!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Iron Prince posted:

I wish my phone was this durable & simple until I wanted to browse SA or look up directions to the nearest Pizza & Wings Buffet Strip Club

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
more like self own

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Orkin Mang posted:

more like self own

:rimshot:

It's funny.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

I.C. posted:

I read they made a new one of this kind. Where it is or how to get it, I dunno. But there is a new one. Of that sort in the picture.

Phones these days are serious. I would imagine most of the people who read this are reading it on a phone. Disgusting!

They're common and popular in Asia still for grammas and grandpas who just want to be able to make and receive calls and not worry about charge or getting lost in the features.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

They're common and popular in Asia still for grammas and grandpas who just want to be able to make and receive calls and not worry about charge or getting lost in the features.

That is smart. Good for grandparents. I hope they still have landlines, though. Just in case...

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 11, 2017

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Iron Prince posted:

Why the hell does the 3310 get so much acclaim??? The 3210 was so much more aesthetically pleasing if you ask me.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz2k21 posted:

Why the hell does the 3310 get so much acclaim??? The 3210 was so much more aesthetically pleasing if you ask me.

you called down the thunder punk

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Gaz2k21 posted:

Then how about you post about it and stope bitching you idiot!!

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Okay.....

This is the Nokia 3210...

This was an absolute beast of a phone, not only did it has a more pleasing design that's the 3310 and generally better feeling build quality but it's replaceable clip on covers on the back and front allowed for incredible customisation!!
You could get licensed covers in various colours for silly prices or just pop down your local boot fair/market/£1 shop and pick up a gaudy Union Jack cover for next to nothing, my preference was to cover the covers in BMX Stickers because I was just that kind of cool kid.
The 3210 was one of the first phones to ditch the aerial and boasted programmable custom ringtones as well as operator logo's which could be bought from sketchy premium phone numbers at the back of men's magazines.
The absolute best thing though was the game SNAKE yes the original snake, I like many others chose to use the "radiator" technique to maximise high scores and impress my friends.

In summary the 3210 is the greatest phone to have ever existed and is unlikely to be surpassed.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

Okay.....

This is the Nokia 3210...

This was an absolute beast of a phone, not only did it has a more pleasing design that's the 3310 and generally better feeling build quality but it's replaceable clip on covers on the back and front allowed for incredible customisation!!
You could get licensed covers in various colours for silly prices or just pop down your local boot fair/market/£1 shop and pick up a gaudy Union Jack cover for next to nothing, my preference was to cover the covers in BMX Stickers because I was just that kind of cool kid.
The 3210 was one of the first phones to ditch the aerial and boasted programmable custom ringtones as well as operator logo's which could be bought from sketchy premium phone numbers at the back of men's magazines.
The absolute best thing though was the game SNAKE yes the original snake, I like many others chose to use the "radiator" technique to maximise high scores and impress my friends.

In summary the 3210 is the greatest phone to have ever existed and is unlikely to be surpassed.

thanks!

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
gently caress yeah :cool:

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

So, let me get this straight...you don't keep every phone you've ever owned? You just...what do you do with them?

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

I.C. posted:

So, let me get this straight...you don't keep every phone you've ever owned? You just...what do you do with them?

You could always be a good person and donate them.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

I.C. posted:

are you really surprised by this?

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

meet girls at the store posted:

You could always be a good person and donate them.

Man...I guess. I'd just as soon not, though.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

us vs also us posted:

are you really surprised by this?

How many freaking phones do you go through? It can't be that many! Yes. I am surprised. That is a lot of phones!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I have a bunch of iPhones since I get them every year as hand-me-downs & don't break them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

myDad posted:

I have a bunch of iPhones since I get them every year as hand-me-downs & don't break them

Do you ever call yourself on them?

• Locked thread