Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Problem description: About a month ago, I bought a new computer (this one, to be exact). Unfortunately, plugging in directly to the router is not an option at the moment, and I've been having problems with the wifi since I got it. It turns itself off randomly, for a few seconds at a time, and then comes back as if nothing happened.

Attempted fixes: I've made sure nothing is checked that shouldn't be in the wifi options, and also turned off the "power saving feature" that I thought was causing the issue. I've also followed the instructions to get a Wlan Report but am not sure what to do with it.

Recent changes: I haven't made any changes to the computer since I bought it, which is what I came to ask about. Is the network card it came with just not good enough when the router is on another floor? It's a Realtek 8821AE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC, according to the device manager.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit.

System specs: ASUS Desktop PC M32CD_A_F_K20CD_K31CD Series. Here it is on Newegg.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Idunn fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're using the latest Realtek drivers for the NIC.

Strangely I can't find them anywhere so that could be another issue.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is the BIOS the latest one for that model?

https://www.asus.com/us/support/Download/14/11/11/6/pZOJTEfAciYZCCUB/8/

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
BIOS seems to be up to date. I updated the drivers yesterday -- which I thought I already tried but it found ones this time so I won't complain. I'm not sure it's fixed but I haven't been able to just sit on it and test it out much, I'll report back in a couple days.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Does the computer have bluetooth built in? I was having the same problem. Turned off bluetooth and it went away.

http://i.imgur.com/puLUVQw.png

The dip in the graph there is torrent speed when I turned bluetooth on.

I use bluetooth for audio output so if anyone knows how to change its... wavelength or whatever so this doesn't happen, that'd help a lot.

• Locked thread