Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Meaty Ore posted:

Finally managed to beat NKG. The only thing left for me to do is Pantheon of Hollownest. Between NKG, Pure Vessel, and Absolute Radiance, though, I'm not sure I can manage it. I'm not liking the looks of Uumuu or Markoth in that pantheon, either.

It's just a matter of practice.

Find the bosses that give you trouble and just run them for half an hour a day or however long you maintain your interest.

You'll get used to them faster than you expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

At one point I was struggling with the final pantheon and decided to change things up instead: I worked on clearing every boss on the Radiant difficulty (e.g. no hits). This is very good practice, the fights are all relatively short so you're giving yourself the opportunity to learn through reinforcement all of the little details that are tripping you up. For instance Zote was giving me problems with his really sporadic movement but I was able to figure out techniques for dealing with that better, Markoth is noted for being a huge pain in the rear end but I was able to figure out that you can blitz through his second phase pretty fast with spells if you're positioned right. Building up all of these little details made the final pantheon run pretty straightforward, it's an endurance test but being able to get through most of the fights without getting hit makes a huge difference

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Natural 20 posted:

It's just a matter of practice.

Find the bosses that give you trouble and just run them for half an hour a day or however long you maintain your interest.

You'll get used to them faster than you expect.

QuarkJets posted:

At one point I was struggling with the final pantheon and decided to change things up instead: I worked on clearing every boss on the Radiant difficulty (e.g. no hits). This is very good practice, the fights are all relatively short so you're giving yourself the opportunity to learn through reinforcement all of the little details that are tripping you up. For instance Zote was giving me problems with his really sporadic movement but I was able to figure out techniques for dealing with that better, Markoth is noted for being a huge pain in the rear end but I was able to figure out that you can blitz through his second phase pretty fast with spells if you're positioned right. Building up all of these little details made the final pantheon run pretty straightforward, it's an endurance test but being able to get through most of the fights without getting hit makes a huge difference

I've been doing both of these things a bit along the way, and I've made some progress since I last posted:

I did manage to get Uumuu without damage, but I'm still not that great at it. Better, at least; I've gotten better at dodging its attacks. I really want to get better at Nosk, ironically I think the flying version may be easier to deal with than the normal one. And Markoth, well, I can't beat him on Ascended difficulty yet, but I can pretty consistently get him to his second phase without taking many hits. After that, though, the whole fight always go to hell.

Also after having beaten both a few times, I think NKG may actually be easier for me than Pure Vessel. At any rate, I'm still not great at them and want to feel more comfortable taking them on.

I was pretty satisfied beating the Sisters of Battle on Radiant. It took a lot of tries, and mostly longer ones too. As far as other stuff goes: I was surprised at how much doing the trials improved my performance against the Watcher Knights and Failed Champion in particular. Both used to give me a lot of problems, now they're speed bumps which give me a good chance to refill my soul gauge. I'm also pretty comfortable against Soul Tyrant, though I don't think I can beat him without taking a hit. Zote is always a messy, unpredictable fight whether I do well or not. I feel like I should be able to do better against the nail sages given how predictable they are. And other than Markoth, most of the dream warriors are generally no problem.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I think NKG is easier than Pure Vessel too - Pure Vessel is a slower-paced fight but it's easier to get into a rhythm with NKG

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

NKG is fast and overwhelming at first but once you understand him the fight is very structured and easy to read. With one exception every attack follows the same pattern of teleport in/attack/teleport out with enough downtime between them to let you reset and prepare for the next, so once you know how to react to them there's little risk of something unexpected happening and hitting you.

Also Sharp Shadow is amazing and Shape of Unn lets you get free heals during the fire pillar attack.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I did it.

I beat Nightmare King Grimm for the first time!

:toot:

…….

There’s only one place left to go for me in this game.

I told myself I’d never bother unless I could down NKG.

:shepicide:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

I did it.

I beat Nightmare King Grimm for the first time!

:toot:

…….

There’s only one place left to go for me in this game.

I told myself I’d never bother unless I could down NKG.

:shepicide:

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball. If you can beat NKG you can beat the Pantheon.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ve never beat the path of pain either maybe I’ll start that first.

:stonklol:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Path of pain is nothing compared to the pantheons

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Path of pain is the difficult but frustrating side of HK, pantheons are the difficult but rewarding side of HK.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Welcome to Godhome.

DON'T FORGET, YOU'RE HERE FOREVER.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I made the smart decision and went to the path of pain…on my steam deck…

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

drat, I’m getting a lot farther along this much faster than the last time I tried. Must be gittin somewhat gud. I’m almost at the part that broke me the last time. It’s the final section before you drop down and fight those knights.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

drat, I’m getting a lot farther along this much faster than the last time I tried. Must be gittin somewhat gud. I’m almost at the part that broke me the last time. It’s the final section before you drop down and fight those knights.

It's that last little bit where you have to dash under the thorns, isn't it? Gets me every time.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Is there a general Metroidvania thread? It's quickly becoming my favourite genre.

vvv thanks!

Koburn fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 29, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Koburn posted:

Is there a general Metroidvania thread? It's quickly becoming my favourite genre.

Here you go:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013622

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Path of pain down. Guess I’ve stalled long enough…

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I was wandering around Godhome and strolled through the hall of bosses and got yelled at for not doing the trial of the fool. Lol, forgot that on this save file, off to the colosseum.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Path of pain down. Guess I’ve stalled long enough…

Pantheon is some of the best content in the game. Rather than start new playthroughs, if I feel like I haven't played HK in too long i'll just turn it on and play through a boss rush.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You think you're hot poo poo in a champagne glass, when really you're cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I decided to attempt to plat the game and have some thoughts.

1 - this time i'll get radiance
2 - i should be able to get through everything except the pantheons which means no plat
3 - i kinda doubt silksong will be better than HK. it's possible it will be as good but even that is kind of doubtful. games as good as hollow knight are rare so expecting the follow-up to surpass it might be foolish.

But yeah. I don't think I can finish the pantheons. I didn't realize you had to clear the rest of the game in order to try them all. So at this point I am down to 2 dream bosses. Skipping zote because apparently it makes the pantheons easier. And the harder ghosts.

The first couple pantheons don't look impossible. But the last one? That looks like insanity. Hours and hours of work. You pretty much have to perfect the bosses, right?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Waltzing Along posted:

The first couple pantheons don't look impossible. But the last one? That looks like insanity. Hours and hours of work. You pretty much have to perfect the bosses, right?

You don't need to be perfect, you just kinda need to be Soul-neutral in terms of healing. It's more the sheer endurance aspect that makes it difficult, especially towards the end.

(i've never actually cleared it but i came close once or twice. might be time to revisit...)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, I still have a handful of things to finish that I've either done once, or never.

Trial 3: done once before.

Soul Master 2: never even tried but shouldn't be too hard, right?
Dung 2: same but should be even easier.
Zote 2: done a handful of times but am waiting this time. He's still whining in deepnest.

Grim 1 & 2. I think I tried 1 once in one of my last play throughs but never got back to him. Never got further. Also, the prices to fix the 3 charms w/ Divine are kind of absurd. It looks like a normal play through will get you close to everything + 2 charms. But then it's straight up grinding for the last one. Ugh.

Galien, Markoth, Hu and Zorb? Whatever his name is. I don't think I've ever done Galien.

Also, it looks like I have to do Path of Pain for the plat, too. God drat.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Gorb: Gorb

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I got to the final boss of the penaltimate pantheon, saw him buzzsaw around the arena, and basically said "gently caress this". Even after watching a youtube breakdown of him, having to go through loving Zote every time just to be able to practice vs the boss was just a complete no-go for me.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Good News! You get to go through Zote again in the final pantheon! And he's even tougher!

Seriously, the final pantheon is tough to get through. I still haven't beaten it, most of my attempts end at either Markoth or Zote. At least the devs were merciful and put Failed Champion right after Zote as a breather/chance to get your health and soul back for NKG.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Serephina posted:

I got to the final boss of the penaltimate pantheon, saw him buzzsaw around the arena, and basically said "gently caress this". Even after watching a youtube breakdown of him, having to go through loving Zote every time just to be able to practice vs the boss was just a complete no-go for me.
you can practice against him in the Hall of Gods after encountering him once

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You 100% sure about that? Cuz I went looking for him and felt that I found his statue greyed out.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Serephina posted:

You 100% sure about that? Cuz I went looking for him and felt that I found his statue greyed out.
it's been a while but... uh yeah? idk. that is generally how it works

e: I think separately, since you've beaten pantheon 3, you could make a Godseeker save file that starts you with Godhome stuff already unlocked. It doesn't include the boss after Pure Vessel but it should also allow practicing against him in the hall of gods

e2: oh, by buzzsaw did you mean the boss of pantheon 3? (there's a pantheon 5 so I was confused about penultimate) if so you can't do godseeker yet but yeah encountering him once should definitely still have unlocked him in the HoG

Martman fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 4, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean, it's all far too late now as it's been years and I'm not gonna go reinstall to dive straight back into the boss rush mode, but yea the very short fly / retired blademaster dude.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ah yeah. idk what the issue would be but they absolutely meant for you to be able to practice the bosses after just reaching them once, it would be super hosed up if you couldn't do that for the end of pantheon 5

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Serephina posted:

That wasn't the penultimate pantheon that blocked you. :mrgw:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, it looks like I have to do Path of Pain for the plat, too. God drat.

I don't think there's any achievements tied to the Path of Pain.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fractalairduct posted:

I don't think there's any achievements tied to the Path of Pain.

Yeah. I thought I needed it for hunters journal but it's not required for that trophy. But man, after looking at what I do need...it's a bunch of grinding including one dude that I'm not sure any are left...

Oh no. There is still one left.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

100%, for Godhome bosses you just have to encounter them once to unlock them in the hall of gods

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Having trouble w/ Trial of the Fool so I'm gonna do something else for a bit. Not much left before it's just the trial, radiance, Nightmare Grimm and the pantheons. I think I have 3 things to do. 1 is fight those stupid Nightmares to activate the Grimm fight. I don't like those guys. They are harder than some of the bosses. Bleh.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Doing that and beating Grimm part one gets you a good prize and is worth doing sooner rather than later. The Nightmare King Grimm fight (part 2) is the roadblock for most…but there’s no in game reward for beating it other than lore and the achievement.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There's an upgraded grimm child. Or I can skip the fight and banish him and get some other charm. Not sure which one is better for pantheon and radiance and trial of fool. Cuz at that point that is all that is left.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

There's an upgraded grimm child. Or I can skip the fight and banish him and get some other charm. Not sure which one is better for pantheon and radiance and trial of fool. Cuz at that point that is all that is left.

Neither charm seemed better than fragile strength + mark of pride + quickslash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I will say this about nightmare king Grimm. Every tell is fair and does the same thing every time. Each one has a specific counter to perform. It’s just how good your twitch reflexes are. If you’ve made it this far in the game you probably have the patience to get it done.