Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

There's an upgraded grimm child. Or I can skip the fight and banish him and get some other charm. Not sure which one is better for pantheon and radiance and trial of fool. Cuz at that point that is all that is left.

The biggest argument for not skipping the fight is that it's widely viewed as one of the best fights in the game. Like it's really really good. And also a good barometer for deciding whether you really want to start doing pantheon content or not.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beating NKG is arguably my most cherished video game achievement. Just such a loving great feeling after originally fighting him for the first time and being like “lol nope this is impossible” and not even attempting to learn the fight until months later.

Yea it’s loving hard, but like others have said, it is fair. If you put in the time you’ll beat him.

Plus the music is so drat good.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Definitely don't skip Nightmare King Grimm. You'd be cheating yourself out of one of the best bosses in the game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Both of the Grimm charms are pointless unless you're a speedrunner, so defeat NKG imo because it's an excellent fight

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nightmare king grimm, how many times will i lose today before ragequitting
"sssEVEN"

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I have fallen more in love with Hollow Knight.

My sweetie bought me a physical copy of HK to go with my new Switch. Upon opening the case, I was delighted to find that there was an actual instruction manual! It was not just a single slip of paper with a link to the company website, but a real manual with artwork and everything!

And wait, what's this?

I know who that is!

Cornifer comes through with a complete map. Way to raise the bar again, Team Cherry.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I really hate the electro soul master dudes in the trial of the fool. I get to them with full health and masks and am lucky to get through their bit alive.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

I have fallen more in love with Hollow Knight.

My sweetie bought me a physical copy of HK to go with my new Switch. Upon opening the case, I was delighted to find that there was an actual instruction manual! It was not just a single slip of paper with a link to the company website, but a real manual with artwork and everything!

And wait, what's this?

I know who that is!

Cornifer comes through with a complete map. Way to raise the bar again, Team Cherry.

Holy smokes that's fantastic! A truly rare sight

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nightmare King was actually the fight that made me fall out of love with the game's combat. It just boiled down to a handful of moves that require rigid pre-determined responses where the difficulty mostly came from the intense pace of the fight and the twitch reflexes required to match it and didn't get inside my brain the same way a Souls superboss does

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Nightmare King Grimm bounces between two extremes. When you first face him he's very overwhelming with his speed and double damage, but once you get the responses to his various moves down (mostly twitch reacting to if he spawns in the air or on the floor and then adjusting once you see the actual attack) he becomes very simple. Because he always has consistent timings and spacing on his attacks he can't surprise you with anything, turning him into one of the easiest bosses to Radiant clear once you master the responses.

Even then I still like fighting him more than Zote and the presentation on his fight is amazing. It's criminal that the pantheon version doesn't have all the same flair.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah, I can beat NKG hitless on a good day, but I still don't like him and never will. This is partly because he leaves little room for personal expression in gameplay and partly because he marks the point where the game crosses the line from being a fun adventure to redoing the same fight over and over building up muscle memory to beat whatever twitch reflex bullshit challenge the game puts in front of you next.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

PV is better.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, I chose to banish Grimm. It's what I wanted to do storywise and I wanted to try out the Carefree Melody. (Also, my other save is already at Grimm 1 so not far from the "big" fight if I choose to go do it. I hate those Nightmare fuckers, though.)

I realized I hadn't done Soul Tyrant and fuuuuck. That's fast. I think I'll finish him once I finish the Trial. Trying to find a loadout that I like. I've come close to the end of the thing but I can't get through the electro dudes with enough health to get through the wall sequence that comes after. I usually start them near maxed on everything. The problem is the duo hits from electricity and then falling to the spikes after.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
PV is outright the best boss in the game imo. Sisters of Battle are also fun as hell but the they have the inherent problem where the fight gets easier as it goes on

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I struggled through all of the super bosses and pantheons but didn’t enjoy any of them. I’ve got literal brain damage that makes memorization a pain so the only way for me to beat them was to mash my face into the wall and get trashed over and over again until they sank in.

Still don’t hold it against the game because the super boss/endgame/DLC content is a fraction of what the game has to offer and most of the game is still fun. I loved most of the bosses up to Hornet 2, and still enjoyed the HK fight itself. Traitor Lord was where my brain problems started causing skill issues and that was the last regular boss I fought anyway. I enjoyed the White Palace too.

A replay would probably go a lot better now that I know what I’m supposed to do though

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Traitor Lord isn't particularly hard with Sharp Shadow. It's just a fast fight so if things aren't right they can go bad real fast.

I don't think I will be able to 100% the game if I have to do the final pantheon. Looking at the lists I'm pretty sure I can get through 1 & 2 without much struggle, 3 looks doable with a bit of practice. 4 is probably as far as I am able to do without investing another 50 hours or so into perfecting fights, which I don't want to do. I'm not sure if I need to do 5 to get the plat, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
there are a couple of things in this game i don't think i'll ever have the time and focus to master, but i think that rules. for a game to have a smooth progression in difficulty that covers the entire range of my personal skill and then keeps going is the kind of experience that i would normally have to play a multiplayer PvP game to get

this is not a failing or an affront to the player, it's a gift; "we want this to still be worth your time a hundred or a thousand hours in"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Traitor Lord isn't particularly hard with Sharp Shadow. It's just a fast fight so if things aren't right they can go bad real fast.

I don't think I will be able to 100% the game if I have to do the final pantheon. Looking at the lists I'm pretty sure I can get through 1 & 2 without much struggle, 3 looks doable with a bit of practice. 4 is probably as far as I am able to do without investing another 50 hours or so into perfecting fights, which I don't want to do. I'm not sure if I need to do 5 to get the plat, though.

You need it for the plat. You don't need it for 100% on your save file

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

The Zombie Guy posted:

On the subject of maps, is there a way to get Cornifer's map of the Resting Grounds directly from him rather than having to buy it from the shop? I've never seen him in the area, just the note he leaves behind. It seems like there should be some way to encounter him there, but I can't figure one out.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Meaty Ore posted:

On the subject of maps, is there a way to get Cornifer's map of the Resting Grounds directly from him rather than having to buy it from the shop? I've never seen him in the area, just the note he leaves behind. It seems like there should be some way to encounter him there, but I can't figure one out.

Nope that’s the only one intentionally done like that.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

Meaty Ore posted:

(e:fb)I once saw an answer from one of the devs on that, the player can never meet Cornifer there by design, so newer players that might be disinclined to ever visit the map shop would go there at least once and find out what else it has in stock.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alxprit posted:

PV is better.

Not an emptyquote.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't agree with this, even with Sharp Shadow I found that fight very frustrating after it was buffed. I always just cheese it with Flukenest and Shaman Stone.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The run back to that boss is what annoys most people, I think. It’s definitely the beginning of the GETGUD segment of the end game for most players.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
the only bad boss in this game is eternal radiance because having to high-speed dodge orange and white projectiles against an orange and white background is some bullshit

collector and nosk have similar problems but they're e z mode so who cares

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

jeeves posted:

The run back to that boss is what annoys most people, I think. It’s definitely the beginning of the GETGUD segment of the end game for most players.

Not me! It's 100% the boss fight itself. Well, 95%. The last 5% that pisses me off is having to fight several of those nasty mantis enemies before the boss, making it more difficult to start the fight with full health. I have almost every other enemy in the game down to a science, but those are always a little hairy, at least when there's more than one at a time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This game has what seems to be intended as a tool for skipping runbacks (dreamgate). Traitor Lord is one of the few bosses where I actually bothered with it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah. Not sure why anyone would bother with the run back.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The only bad boss runback in the game, in my opinion, is Soul Master. Honestly, the Soul Master runback is one of the biggest flaws in an otherwise near-perfect game imo.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That one is long but I don't think the fight is anywhere near as nasty as Traitor Lord, which I guess is why it didn't register to me as a problem. gently caress those flying guys though!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

The only bad boss runback in the game, in my opinion, is Soul Master. Honestly, the Soul Master runback is one of the biggest flaws in an otherwise near-perfect game imo.

I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a flaw, but it sucks that it’s an early difficult fight that gatekeeps a critical ability you need to open up large parts of the world.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Cartoon Man posted:

I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a flaw, but it sucks that it’s an early difficult fight that gatekeeps a critical ability you need to open up large parts of the world.

That's not what makes it bad. On your first playthrough you don't even know that it is going to give you dive (though if you got to phase 2 before dying, and you also encountered some dive floors earlier, you might figure it out).

What makes it bad is that it's part of the "natural" progression of the game just after getting Mantis Claw, so when you get there you're probably still going to be a bit of a noob. You're heavily signposted to go in that direction after you see Hornet jumping across the entrance to the City in Fungal Wastes, then get the ability you need to cross that gap yourself. Maybe you fight Mantis Lords first, but pretty soon you're going to head into City. So you do so, and not long after, you find yourself in Soul Sanctum. You may or may not end up heading in the direction of the nailsmith first; if you do, then Soul Master is a lot less of a problem. But if you don't, your money that you might need to go acquire a nail upgrade or better charms is stuck in your shade in Soul Master's room. Woe betide you if you sold relics to Lemm first, because there's a very real risk of losing your geo. Soul sanctum is full of enemies that teleport randomly and shoot projectiles. They're hard to hit, and if you don't kill them, they'll teleport on top of the place you're dashing to, hit you on contact, then shoot a fireball at you to hit you again. And they die quickly so you can't get much soul from them. It's very much a sudden escalation of danger (of losing a huge quantity of geo) compared to anything else you've encountered so far, even the Mantis Lords fight (a much more challenging boss imo).

The only saving grace is that the boss itself is not actually that hard. On my first playthrough, I think I died once. But even then, I still remember that runback. The Mantis Lords runback also stood out, as I died a few times on them. But even though it's a bit long, it's easy enough to refill soul from carefully and cautiously fighting mantises; you can't really say the same for teleporting soul fuckers.

Pretty much any boss runback after those two isn't bad at all; Traitor Lord and Hive Knight would be the main contenders but you almost certainly have Dreamgate before then.

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
Hey guys I beat P5 and I am very proud of myself. That was like 2 weeks of prep from first run of P5, to unlocking absrad to consistently beating her. I beat her on Ascended, went for P5 next run and completed it with 3 lives left. I still have to do journal, 100% steel, and 5 hour speedrun all of which should be a breeze now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You should simply beat Soul Master, rather than have to run back.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The idea of fighting Soul Master before finding the nail upgrades is wild to me. If some guy actually was so skilled and so stubborn to beeline straight to it while having blinders on, never stopping to spend geo nor explore other (more obvious?) paths, the lost geo from dying to one of the simpler bosses is the least of their concerns. Or maybe this hypothetical stubborn bugger could just go back and get his geo, I dunno.

It's a nothingburger.

edit: As a counter-example, I was a stubborn fool who refused to back down from mantis lords. Eventually I heeded the NPC's advice and just went elsewhere and came back with a nail upgrade. Soul Master has always been a 'very-much-later' part of the game to me, I didn't even know you could rush him. He consequently always died on the first attempt. To get back on track, this is a conversation about Geo loss, right? Like, it's a red herring, there's more geo than the player can spend (before the red circus dlc), just keep playing and exploring and never even bother going back to find your ghost, who cares, you're rich. The bloodstain/geo loss thing is totally psychological rather than a practical concern.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 23, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i rushed soul master my first playthrough without realizing that was what i was doing lol. i didn't know nail upgrades were even a thing. it was a bad time

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i rushed soul master my first playthrough without realizing that was what i was doing lol. i didn't know nail upgrades were even a thing. it was a bad time

:same:

it didn't really detract from the game for me though. i just thought it was an escalation of difficulty and i was enjoying it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Soul Master was my first experience with a dream boss and the fact that it deposits you right next to the encounter again, instead of back at a bench, felt really encouraging. Like yeah, this is not within the normal difficult curve

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Posting in this thread because I just, finally, managed to beat Radiance. I am not good at video games, and my previous couple of pIaythroughs I had noped out on the fight - beat HK and decided that was enough for me after a couple of tries at her. However, my kids have played on my account over the years and both had got the achievement for beating her. They've graduated to their own accounts, but I thought I should try to do it so I can say it's there legitimately. It took an awful long time - but I did also add NKG during the playthrough, so I'm satisfied.

Silksong when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Albinator posted:

Posting in this thread because I just, finally, managed to beat Radiance. I am not good at video games, and my previous couple of pIaythroughs I had noped out on the fight - beat HK and decided that was enough for me after a couple of tries at her. However, my kids have played on my account over the years and both had got the achievement for beating her. They've graduated to their own accounts, but I thought I should try to do it so I can say it's there legitimately. It took an awful long time - but I did also add NKG during the playthrough, so I'm satisfied.

Silksong when?

I've got a note from Team Cherry that says you, personally, need to beat Absolute Radiance before they'll release it.