Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Most of the charms that improve healing are trap choices imo. If you instead take charms that make you more effective during a fight, then you won't need to heal as often.

Shape of Unn is an exception, because it gives you another damage avoidance tool
Quick heals are incredibly powerful. When you're already super limited in terms of your healing opportunity, they give you way more freedom to either heal and still move or commit and go for a second heal in the same window.

Gonna be honest I can't remember if I ended up actually using it in my pantheon of hallownest runs, but I would still never call it a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

While it's definitely not 100% safe to heal when he does the big white circle around him that damages and then spawns a few other smaller circles, I pretty much always found it worth the chance.

I dunno why but most of the Nail Arts never really clicked with me; for me my main secret to him was getting used to the timing on dodging through his quick strike combo and even dodging through his parry > counterattack combo.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also you sure as hell don't wanna go into Absolute Radiance with one health!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

iirc you get full healed going into absolute radiance
Oh weird, you're right! In 4 clears I never noticed that or forgot completely.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

2 hours means you are finding it too hard.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If you don't have the weathered mask have you even really played HK?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Best bosses are obviously Flukemarm and Markoth (Radiant)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cactus posted:

It's an absolute vapourware shitshow.
Can someone good at gifs do the Absolute Radiance intro but it says this instead?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This is hard work, but I don't mind. Down here, I can k-keep posting without even sleeping. It's fun!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

bike tory posted:

Yeah hollow knight doesn't innovate much at all, it just does everything very well
I disagree. The way soul works, between relying on you hitting enemies and also being used both for offensive magic and healing, is really unusual as far as I know. As a result all the boss designs (or all the combat really), which are extremely well tailored to the combat mechanics, feel very unique to the game.

I know that's just one thing, but honestly even extremely innovative games are usually just mixing up things that have been done before in new ways.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

multijoe posted:

It's a special meter. It might be novel for a metroidvania but it's extremely common in fighting games and arpgs
What do you think of as a "new" game mechanic in a recent game?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

multijoe posted:

Uh, tempo based movement in Crypt of the Necrodancer?
Timing your inputs? Wow, lifted wholesale from rhythm games. It is very easy to be stupidly reductive.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

multijoe posted:

What's your point? Hollow Knight is a great platformer, it doesn't need to be gassed up by pretending it reinvented the wheel by having a special meter
My point is the game is innovative. Innovative games often take concepts from other genres and incorporate them in ways that result in new and original kinds of gameplay.

And like, to be fair, sure you may feel Crypt of the Necrodancer specifically is more innovative. Yes, the game that literally invented a new genre of game is obviously innovative. Is that the bar for being considered original?

Martman fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 11, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm stuck in a dark corner of the Deepnest. I haven't seen a bench in half an hour, I'm down to one health, I've run out of soul. I'm freaking out. I have to keep going, and that means I have to kill some poo poo without making any mistakes to have a chance at healing again. I think to myself "lol this is exactly like Street Fighter"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Not saying HK isn't influenced a lot by Dark Souls, but Dark Souls itself is obviously influenced by old-school games like Super Metroid in the foreboding atmosphere, old/dead kingdom (or Chozo civilization), lack of exposition, "kill all the big bosses to fill up the thing that opens the big scary door," etc.

I think Dark Souls was partly so notable just because it successfully modernized a lot of pretty classic old school game concepts.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Definitely start with the one boss at a time statues and see if you like them enough to do the harder versions. A lot of players (me included) felt the same way at first, that Godhome stuff seemed like a step too far in difficulty and punishment, but once you start you may be really surprised at how satisfying it is.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Step 1: Bapanada

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There are still plenty of what the gently caress moments in that run. Absurd number of first try wins on bosses and stuff.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

Has there been any news about Silk Song at all in the last few months? I was paying attention last year but it all seems to have gone completely dead and Googling finds basically nothing.
They decided to shift gears and it's gonna be a battle royale gacha game.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Eeepies posted:

No cost too great
But hopefully like $30

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Says in the description it's segmented. Still insane tho.
segmented.......like a bug

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Charm discussion is making me think, assuming there's some similar kind of build variety in Silksong, I hope there are opportunities to really reward players for using different builds.

Being able to experiment is cool on its own, but it can be hard to overcome the inertia of getting so used to your preferred build. I would love it if there were optional fights (or just alternate versions of fights) where you could get some special reward for using certain charm builds, whether it's just an unusual build for that fight or even a kind of hard mode.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That dude doing the (mostly) blind playthrough just beat Radiance on his first try! what a jerk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YO34qH1xv4

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gonna go ahead and get fully hyped for tomorrow, there's no way this could go wrong!!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was totally joking about expecting Silksong news, and am definitely not mad. Please don't put in the papers that I got mad.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Not that I'm recommending it if you're not feeling it, but it's fairly common for people to take a long break from Hollow Knight early on, come back fairly confused, and then have a good experience by starting over completely. The early game still takes a few hours, but if you basically remember any of it you may be surprised how smooth it feels on a restart.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think some people just like boxes being checked. I would never, ever look at a friend's achievements or want them to look at mine lol

I think I edited my cheevos in Ori when the "beat the game on one life mode" achievement turned out to be bugged. I still feel gross about them but, also gently caress the devs for never fixing it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Take it from Hercules... Cheat at a couple achievements, next thing you know you're murdering your own family.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Someone should set up a terrarium with light sensors set up to act as controllers and get some bugs to play Hollow Knight by wandering around.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I found working through the Ascended/Radiant versions of each boss to be a much chiller challenge than expected, and it made the pantheons much less daunting.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

b_d posted:

its working im pissed.
Just remember.... bapanada

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

bike tory posted:

Now do hitless all bindings
I'm kind of surprised that, as far as I can tell, no one has ever done this. I mean, I'm not surprised because it seems insanely hard, but gamers usually rise to the challenge.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think they should add a lategame charm that lets me warp to Silksong

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Item Getter posted:

I started this game a while back, it feels a lot more like I imagined its whole genre to be like before playing any of them. I mean in terms of really free-form exploration compared to more linear games like Metroid.
Have you played Super Metroid? If there's any one classic game that Hollow Knight is most like, I would say it's that. It's kind of a modern thing that the Metroid series has shifted into experimenting with more linear structure.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mymla posted:

There's no meaningful difference between the zelda series and metroidvanias.
You never get a double jump in zelda, topic locked

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Imo you should just fight him correctly

Actually it's kind of interesting how the pantheons basically prevent you from using strats like that. You may be able to cheese the boss 80 percent of the time, but you're probably better off fighting him legit when you're 45 minutes into a pantheon run.

Martman fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 5, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BioThermo posted:

Failed Champion is a blessing in disguise in that gauntlet because once you stagger him and his head pops out, you can keep him staggered forever as long as you keep hitting his armor and not his head. So you can hit his armor, dreamnail his armor, hit his armor, heal yourself, hit his armor etc. in an infinite loop to max out your health and soul and go into the NKG fight completely topped off.

Markoth + Zote is certainly a big loving curve to get over, though.
that's cheating. reported

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hard to answer, but I wanna give a shout out to the Coliseum of Fools. After feeling isolated and lost for so long it feels like the only place in Hallownest that's still really functioning, and has crowds and a social atmosphere and stuff. Gets you fired up about the fact that there are still people here who could maybe be helped.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I can see it being dark and hosed up, but it's still hosed up in a fun way. I guess I had figured there was already a fair amount of violence in Hallownest as a baseline but I might have been imagining that.

Martman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

iirc it was stated somewhere that the Fools have also been infected but are unwittingly holding it at bay with their devotion to bloodsport, so it’s a little of column a and a little of column b

also I have no idea where the idea that the city of tears was “powered by the souls of the underclass” came from, the city clearly did suffer from economic stratification and the PK is definitely imperialist-coded but making Hallownest out to be some hyper-capitalist hell undermines the entire backstory
Soul Master was literally draining the soul power of city bugs to power himself and his projects, but I think that's post-infection and more "mad scientist" behavior than the basic functioning of the city.