Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm having a real good time with this game. I'm very surprised this thread is not more popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

gently caress Soul Tyrant and all teleporting enemies.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Umm. Are we the bad guys?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I haven't gotten 100% completion, but from what I gathered The Radiance created all bugs, but somehow limited them. The Pale King, Descended/reborn from the Wyrms (who apparently never die and enslaved the bugs), usurped The Radiance, and sealed it away by engineering Hollow Knights. But the Radiance got pissed and invaded dreams which spread the Infection?

Seems like everyone's poo poo. Except the Seer. I like her.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

There's a quote I can't locate now, but it specifically says The Wyrm enslaves bugkind. What that means isn't exactly clear, because we know that the Radiance also enslaves bugkind, in a seemingly much more obvious sense.

There are a few other things that I thought were weird. First off all, when The Dreamers cast you into the dream upon inspecting their grave/monument, it is a moth that guides you to the Dream Nail. Now this could be the Seer (manifesting in the dream), The Radiance, or just a general symbol of moths (who seem to be connected to the dream more than other bugs).

Second, the Seer has some interesting dialogue regarding the past. She says she is paying penitence for crimes of the past. She says,

"The folk of my tribe were born from a light. Light similar to Essence, similar to that powerful blade, though much brighter still.They were content to bask in that light and honoured it... for a time. But another light appeared in our world... A wyrm that took the form of a king. How fickle my ancestors must have been. They forsook the light that spawned them. Turned their backs to it... Forgot it even."

If this is the case, then obviously bugs (or at least moths) were not brainwashes zombies because they worshiped the Radiance, and then voluntarily forsook the Radiance to worship the Pale Kind. If they were able to do that than the Infection is not just what happens to you if you worship the Radiance, it's just the vengeance of a forgotten god. We know that the Pale King "expanded the minds of bugs", but I don't think that means he literally freed them from mental slavery, I think he just introduced science and technology and stuff like that.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It seems a bit like a Garden of Eden allegory. The Radiance created bugkind and gave them happy, peaceful lives, but they were slaves in many ways. Along comes a Wyrm (Serpent) and he offers Bugkind a chance to be free, to have individuality and free will. He gives them knowledge and tries to get them to forget their creator. However, the bugs were still born of the Radiance and by turning their back to her were denying their base instincts, which the Radiance then exploited to take back control.

Though I really don't think that Bugkind before the Pale King were these mindless orange-eyes psychos with giant bulbous orange sacks on them. I think that they were just less sapient bugs, like what we would consider bugs to be in real life. I think the Infection is the Radiance going balls-to-the-wall and trying to wrestle back control from the Pale Light.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Seer dialogue

I agree that a lot of dialogue is unreliable, but "The folk of my tribe were born from a light" is a pretty unambiguous statement.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Vox, you are making a ton of assumptions with no actual in-game evidence to support them.

Discendo Vox posted:

The statement is ambiguous when the source is unreliable. What do moths do with light?

If you're referring to light such a fire or artificial sources, moths aren't enthralled by it, they're trying to get behind it because they use natural light from the moon and stars as navigation, and bright external light fucks that up. And what evidence is there to suggest the Seer is infected, or still worshipping the Radiance? Literally everything she does, saving you from The Dream, guiding you to the Dream Nail, telling you to collect Essence, and powering up the Dream Nail, all lead to you containing or destroying the Radiance. Nothing she does even remotely benefits it. When talking about her ancestors, who were created by and worshiped the Radiance, she always says "they" and not "we", so it's unlikely she even existed when the worship was still common.

Discendo Vox posted:

Radiance infiltrates and consumes everyone through their personal desires and weaknesses. For the miners, it's the crystals, for the soul institute people, it's souls, for the maggot it's protecting its peers.

Any in-game support for that at all? The only thing the game says is that the bugs fall into a deep sleep, dream of a light, and wake up with the infection. Soul Master's journal entry even says "The bugs of Hallownest tried all kinds of tricks and rituals and prayers to rid themselves of the Infection. But to no avail!", implying the infection came first and their use of the soul was one of their attempted remedies for it.

Discendo Vox posted:

The seer still buys into what the Radiance is selling. he/she still sees its influence as "worship".

Where does he say that? It's not in any of her dialogue. The closest she says is [My ancestors] were content to bask in that light and honoured it...for a time". She never says anything about her own beliefs, or even that the moths worshiped it as a god, just that they honored it.

I will float and alternate, and totally unsupported theory, that makes our the Seer to be a Secret Agent of the Radiance or something, which sort of agrees with what Vox is arguing.

The Radiance is not a god, it's just literally light. Sentient light, though. It created bugs (and everything else) in the same way light from the sun birthed all life on our own planet. Moths were created early on and had more sapience than other bugs for whatever reason. The opposite of the Light was the Dark (The Void), which was also somewhat sentient. At some point, a great Wyrm died and came back as a godlike bug, the Pale King. Knowing that the Void was antithetical to the light, he experimented with it until he found a way to smother the light by trapping it within a Void being. I feel like the Void is just the other side of the coin to the Radiance, and they're obviously at odds since when you Dream Nail the Radiance he says

"ANCIENT ENEMY
I DO NOT FEAR YOU
THE LIGHT CANNOT BE CONSUMED
LET ME BE FREE
DAWN WILL BREAK
I WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN"

Since at the time the moths were the only really sapient ones he cut a deal with them to turn their back on the Radiance for his own off-brand Pale Light, and they did for whatever reason. With the Radiance sealed away inside the Black Egg, he used his power to give the lower-level bugs sapience, as the Radiance did for moths, and built his civilization. However poo poo started to go south and that's where the game starts.

If you look at the Seer's dialogue he talks about how his ancestors were idiots for their betrayal. But he doesn't really specify why. He could mean that they're stupid because the Radiance created them and loved them, he could mean that it was stupid because they should have known that you can't just forget about the Radiance and that this infection would happen, or he could mean that it's stupid because trying to destroy light is just a pointless and impossible task. Perhaps the Radiance isn't actually a vengeful god, it's just a force of nature, like a physical law of the universe, and denying it exists fucks everything up.

Given that the Radiance calls the Main Character "ancient enemy", we can assume this fight has been going on for a long rear end time. Maybe every civilization is just the Radiance/Wyrm/Void using bugs to try and gain the upper hand on each other.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I feel like the madness is a side-effect of resisting the influence, not something that is innate to worshiping/acknowledging the Radiance. There isn't really any evidence that supports the idea that the Radiance is a megalomaniac who demands every being worships her exclusively, she just seems to not want to be locked away and forgotten. We don't really have any evidence of what life was like before the Pale King, but we do know there were civilizations before him, so maybe things weren't that bad and he has just played it up to justify his usurpation of the throne. The Infection seems more like a side of effect of trying to deny that The Radiance exists, and not specifically a malicious act by the Radiance.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Radiance Did Nothing Wrong

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

This game is so marred by having White Palace included in it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Think we'll see a Switch version by the end of the year for sure?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The biggest thing for me is how out of place is feels. Visually and thematically it's totally out of wack with the whole rest of the game. Everything else is this really cool fresh world filled with characters and a great ambience to everything. Then you're tossed into a sheer white dream palace with buzz saws and randomly placed spikes. It just feels out of place. It also throws a high difficult platforming level at you when the next hardest thing is considerably easier than that. Just really feels out of place.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Reminder that The Radiance did nothing wrong and the Pale King is an usurper.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Quirrel questline is by far my favorite character/story of the game. He's so chill, and his line about getting two see the whole world twice over, each time being a new experience, really struck something in me.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is this out for Switch yet? If it's only $15 I might just buy it again.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Well I don't know which one's you've already gotten, but it can be quite a trial to get your grubby little hands on the last two if you don't know where they are.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

But moths existed also and obviously weren’t enthralled, or at the very least they escaped it, because they turned on the Radiance and helped the Pale King subdue her.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Seer's dialogue implies that there was a more literal betrayal of the Radiance, which suggests that it was actively sealed away rather than just kind of fading away when the Pale King became the new hotness to worship.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think I'm the only person who never has too much trouble with Watcher Knights. On the other hand, Soul Master pushed my poo poo in at least a dozen times my first time through.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I guess just don’t use that particular combination of charms, then.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

With the final DLC I decided to buy Hollow Knight for the Switch. Haven't played since the Grimm Troupe came out, and I don't think I ever beat that.

Also, sorry if this is really old news since I haven't read this thread in months, but this reddit post on how Pale King is actually a wasp is a pretty neat read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HollowKnight/comments/8jyn56/lore_spoilers_royalty_radiance_and_wyrms/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

NKG is a real dick.