Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hey friends I have picked up this game finally and it's amazing.

Quick question about the Grimm Troupe, do y'all recommend I finish the quest for the nightmare guy, or do I go along with the other dude and banish them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ok, will do. Speaking of "hardcore pantheon bullshit" is there any reason to do all these with the bindings on other than got completionist sake? I don't care about getting all achievements and poo poo. The game's fun, but not so fun that I'd like to repeat these pantheon trials while nerfed just for the sake of a challenge.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ok final question for now, is this game similar to pretty much every other game in that the DLC bosses are much harder than the base game final bosses? If so I'll probably finish up the base game first before the Grimm Troupe guy.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I beat hollow knight and radiance, they were about what I expected in terms of difficulty. Radiance had great atmosphere but was too bullet hell-like for my tastes. Spent about 10 minutes on nightmare king and drat, this is a big step up in difficulty from anything else in the game. I'm glad I didn't miss this fight!

E: to be clear I spent 10 minutes on him and realised I would need to come back when I had more time to learn his attacks and poo poo. I didn't beat him in 10 minutes

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 10, 2021

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think it's just a feature of trying to attract funding through Kickstarter. You're basically just pitching your game within a genre and style, so of course you compare it to the best of whatever

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah hollow knight doesn't innovate much at all, it just does everything very well

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Martman posted:

just mixing up things that have been done before in new ways.

I think that's an accurate description of hollow knight, and why I'm not too stressed about a game that references bloodborne, hollow knight, Metroidvania etc.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's not reductive to say that the SOUL mechanic isn't new or innovative, lots of games have you recharge your mana (or whatever they call the resource for your special abilities) by attacking.

In Hollow Knight it works really well with the other elements of the game and I think it adds to a fairly unique combat system overall. And on second thought I guess that's valid to consider as innovation.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Well, I dunno, hollow knight’s visual aesthetic and being a 2D platformer pretty huge departures from Dark Souls, whereas Crowsworn is the exact same type of game in the exact same visual style

The visual aesthetic of hollow knight is almost exactly what you'd get if you converted dark souls into 2D then took away the castle levels. The NPCs and enemies/bosses are different and unique to hollow knight though!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Took me about 45 minutes to get the hang of his moves but nightmare king is dead. I don't think I can be hosed with the godmaster stuff tbh, I loathe boss rushes. Is there any way to fight the new bosses on their own without having to slog through all the other bosses?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

The problem is you can't challenge the solo boss fights until you've seen them. For all the normal bosses that's fine, but to get to see the new godhome exclusive bosses, you have to do the boss rushes, sadly, yes.

Yeah this is what I wanted to know. I looked up the last pantheon and it's a long as gently caress list of bosses that I don't want to slog through just to unlock the new ones. Maybe some day I'll come back to it but I genuinely dont think it'd be worth it right now.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

have you all considered that maybe the king just wanted to build a rad danger course for his immortal void children to play on??

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My least favourite part of the game was the spike platforming puzzles and I actually enjoyed the white palace thanks to hiveblood because it took all the pressure off to succeed within a certain number of attempts. Grubsong and deep focus might've done the same thing but I didn't mind waiting a bit between attempts

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Quick slash was what did it for me. My first few attempts were frustrating because radiance was just a big ol bag of health and I'd eventually get cornered or gently caress up often enough that I'd die. Quick slash was what gave me enough damage output to get through quickly enough to not gently caress up and die.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The fragile charms do break on radiance, yes

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The only move of his I found really difficult to deal with was his uppercut where the fireballs would keep tagging me. To a lesser extent the kick as well, but I learned to recognise that at least.

The flame pillars is your main healing window. Once the final pillar is out you can get in two ticks of healing if you start focusing straight away.

Shape of Unn charm lets you heal during the fire bats attack, as they'll pass over top of you so long as you don't run out of soul and stand up half way through. Personally I found that better to use as an attack window since, as someone else said, you can very consistently dodge them and close the distance with him by jumping the first, walking under the second, then dashing through the third. The fourth will pass over the top of you while you smack him in the face.

As for charms, unbreakable strength is obviously going to help you a lot. I used quick focus too just so the heal windows weren't quite so tight. Grubsong and Soul Catcher also helped me a lot because double damage meant a lot of healing. Some people have said going for damageless and prioritising damage charms was the best way but that wasn't my experience.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

I feel like healing during Flame Pillar is probably a mistake since you can get 3-4 clean hits on NKG while it's out. The real value of Shape of Unn on NKG is low profiling the fireball attack.

You can still get 3 hits and a heal during flame pillar, plus 2-3 hits during the flame bats though. Plus the extra charm notches from not needing Shape of Unn.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

uh Divinity wants how much Geo to get unbreakable strength??? :stare:

drat I wish I'd made my first one the greed one. I gotta make up 6000 more to get strength back, and another 9000 after for greed (then health later if I care). Oof. Off to the colosseum I guess

You know the fragile charms only cost a few hundred geo to fix it they break, right?

You can use fragile greed pretty safely to farm. Remember to farm enough geo with fragile greed before you give it to the divine so you can buy it straight back.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Neither charm is at all worth using outside of some niche builds and situations

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

nrook posted:

Hollow Knight really is an astonishingly open game after the beginning

It is. I found the watcher knights way too early.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

b_d posted:

watcher knights are gated by double jump..... except you can do a fairly easy pogo off a background object to get up there without it.

yes but you haven't necessarily found the blacksmith at that point, have you?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

If you are playing on the PC edition, you can simply get a save right near the end to get both the steel soul and the time-based achievements (assuming you can beat the end boss). :agesilaus:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

some of y'all are trying to simultaneously act like you don't care about other people's achievements and you only get achievements for your own satisfaction and sense of achievement, but also getting mad at people cheating to get achievements and acting like that cheating cheapens your own achievements. it's very funny to me

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The easiest way to beat those bosses is to get a hack tool and turn on one hit KO for enemies or infinite HP.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Traitor Lord must've just clicked for me because I beat him first time without much trouble. The double damage makes him more threatening but none of his attacks are at all difficult to dodge aside from that big shockwave thing, which is really well telegraphed.

And yeah Traitor Lord is a late game boss at the end of one of the more difficult areas of the game, so should be difficult imo

unrelated also, I'm pretty sure team cherry confirmed that the knight is genderless

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/guohoho/status/1439137976525672451

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Now do hitless all bindings

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I found godhome organically! I spent hours scouring the map for poo poo though. As a result one or my big complaints about this game is that you can't warp to benches.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I think that would dramatically reduce the sense of danger and exploration and helplessness that the game sets out to achieve, but maybe as an endgame charm for beating Hollow Knight or something

Yeah I think as a late game ability it'd be fine. By the time you've beaten most of the bosses and you're just on the hunt for the final masks and grubs and poo poo it's not a sense of danger and helplessness, just tedium.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Freeing them in the sense of, like, letting someone in a coma die, maybe?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

a playthrough done by a great and powerful knight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LOG0S1HY70

Amazing

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

silksong is already out, they only released it for those of us who didn't cheat at hollow knight

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

City of Tears and Stag Nest. The name change from The Last Stag to Old Stag was the most :unsmith: in a game mostly characterised by :smith:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Darox posted:

I still maintain that Crystal Guardian is a chump and all it takes is not panicking because he does 2 masks of damage. You just stand next to him and swing. He can only ever do three things; the ceiling beams is super telegraphed with the scream so you can stop and assess where the beams will go, the jump is totally harmless if you're next to him, and if he makes any other movement at all you know it's the hand beam and can react accordingly by shadowdashing through him or jumping straight up to avoid it.

NKG or PV's floor spike attacks are nasty reaction tests for me, compared to them the crystal guardian is moving in slow motion.

You only know this with experience though. The first time you play the game you don't know his moves or his to respond and often only have like 5 masks so it's hard to learn his moveset too.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mymla posted:

I mean, you don't know the moveset of any boss the first time you fight it. This is a game with a lot of hard bosses, but crystal guardian isn't one of them.

yes and in a game that requires you to learn and respond to boss movesets, a boss that kills you in 2-3 hits makes that particularly hard

defining difficulty based on the experiences of people who have replayed a game lots or practiced all the bosses is valid but surely you recognise that this is not most people's experience of the game right?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I simply beat traitor lord on my first try so I don't have to run back :shrug:

I actually did this on my first playthrough, but I've never been able to repeat the performance

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Path of pain is the difficult but frustrating side of HK, pantheons are the difficult but rewarding side of HK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Definitely don't skip Nightmare King Grimm. You'd be cheating yourself out of one of the best bosses in the game.