Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I don't really like making GBS threads up threads with flagrant advertising, but I do think that the LP I'm running has actually turned into something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxUd5sLTyhU

Is the episode that I think goes beyond what one might expect.

And this is the LP thread if you want a look from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Darox posted:

Sharp Shadow is absolutely incredible for NKG (and most bosses really, underrated charm), it lets you get a lot of free hits in and gives you more leeway for dashing through him and his attacks. The uppercut is trivial to dodge when you can just dash through him and sit underneath, you can hit him during the dive and so on.

The other excellent charm combo is Shape of Unn and Deep Focus which can easily triple your effective masks or more because it’s easy to heal up to 6 masks whenever he does the flame pillar attack.

I feel like healing during Flame Pillar is probably a mistake since you can get 3-4 clean hits on NKG while it's out. The real value of Shape of Unn on NKG is low profiling the fireball attack.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Failed champion is a pushover with what I assume is a bug?

When the larva comes out the armour, you can reset its timer outside by hitting the armour but not the larva.

So you can hit the armour, heal, hit the armour, dreamnail the armour, hit the armour, heal, essentially infinitely. So every time you get a knockdown you get a full heal and full spirit for the next part.

DTaeKim posted:

I'm working on the third pantheon and Grey Prince Zote is my roadblock. Best attempt I've done is just rushing him down but it sets me up poorly for the rest of the pantheon. Any tips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDlrRnxGR-M&t=789s

This is my first run at him in the gauntlet if you want a video of what I tend to do (very badly). What I'd say in terms of advice is, you can react to any of his dives onto you by using the descending dark. You'll get full damage on him and dodge the entire dive. Since he's such a huge target, the descending dark is just very powerful in general because of how frequently it will get all the hits and also clean up nearby adds for you.

The other thing is getting used to pogoing his running attack because that keeps you very safe.

In general you won't have healing windows apart from on stuns so don't try and instead when you take damage just use your damage immunity to try and combo him into a stun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hobojim posted:

Unrelated, but did you ever fix your dash button not working periodically? I had the same problem and posted a fix in the LP thread, but a few videos later you said you were still having issues.

Turns out if I unplug my controller and plug it back in after booting Hollow Knight I don't get the problem.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Well, I'm doing this. The Pantheon of Hallownest can't be that hard right?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
What I'd really like is a game with Hollow Knight style combat and controls, but not a Metroidvania. Just straight A-B here is hard poo poo, kill bosses have fun.

I know I'm describing Mega Man X but still.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hobojim posted:

This was excellent lol

Really impressed with the charm usage too, that was cool!

Yeah cottoning on to the trick without prompting is really smart.

I just kinda walked up and beat it to death.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
A couple of notes on NKG after I had to fight him a billion times to make sure that I was okay for the boss rush. (Please note that the videos have spoilers for the themes of the boss rush, even though they're just NKG footage)

1. Shape of Unn gives you a healing window during the bats attack. You can heal for two health and as long as you walk towards him while you're healing, the bats can't hit you. Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJOOBgp3hjA&t=3213s

2. This is probably the most important. The Shoryuken is easiest to deal with using the Shade Cloak. Wait until he appears and just dash towards him. The forward movement from the uppercut will make him pass through you. From there as long as you are beneath where he disappeared, the fireballs won't hit you. Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X0QuooF2vE&t=3179s

imo this is the best and fairest fight in the game. If you get good enough, you can very very reliably clear it without being hit once.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Pure vessel feels a lot more annoyingly RNG based. If he doesn't jump then the fight's a walkover but if he does it a lot then you're screwed because it's unreactable. Unless you opt to never pogo him, at which point you're making the fight a lot lot harder on yourself.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's a risk reward calculation.

Pure Vessel only has one attack that meaningfully threatens the area above him. So the average pure vessel fight is a tonne easier if you pogo him because you're negating the majority of his attacks. If he happens to throw a six on the dice multiple times though you pretty much die instantly with no way of stopping it. So yeah, I don't really like that aspect at all.

It also has the knock on effect of the fight getting easier as it goes on and he gains more attacks because it makes the jump less likely.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

QuarkJets posted:

We're saying that you can mitigate the risk of being annoyed by RNG by pogoing less. The jump is a punishment for relying too much on pogoing

Okay yes, I can learn the fight and stay grounded and have a perfect 100% clear chance on it.

But to beat it on Radiant I need to beat it just once without being hit and doing the easy strat and relying on no 6s (metaphorically) is much easier and likely much faster.

To beat it on the way to AR, yes, I introduce a x% failure chance, but again, on average that's a big time saving on learning the grounded strat.

I think when the most efficient way of beating something involves an RNG failure chance, it's not as fun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
My goal is to beat the boss? If the fastest way to do that ends up being RNG so be it, once I've beaten it I've beaten it.

The fun part for me is the moment when the boss falls over dead. The fastest way to get to the boss falling over dead isn't particularly good. So I didn't find the boss that good. Be that on normal/hard/radiant.

If you want to run the harder strat to beat it more consistently eventually then be my guest. But I'm not going to fight him again after I've beaten him forever so I don't really see the point in that level of consistency.

Edit: Fwiw I can absolutely respect the position that if you fight the boss without jumping or pogoing then it becomes a fight that's satisfying. But equally I think that the best design is where the most efficient/fun strat coincide with each other.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 6, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bleck posted:

"It's frustrating if I have to try" is such a dumb stance that I feel like the thread is almost certainly being trolled right now.

Like gently caress off with this. That's not at all what I'm saying.

You can choose to accept some risk for an easier time. Doing so is a completely legit choice. It turns out that makes the fight less satisfying.

Given I did that, I didn't like Pure Vessel as much. I do not get how this is some sort of unfathomable choice.

QuarkJets posted:

Everyone else in the thread is saying that pogoing is not an efficient strategy for Radiant Pure Vessel and that you should consider changing your approach if it's feeling frustrating. This is advice from several posters who have beaten that fight on that difficulty multiple times

Okay look.

Consider, you have learnt how to beat Pure Vessel by Pogoing. This is a tremendously reliable strat that has something like a 1/20 chance of failure if everything goes to poo poo and you don't adapt to it at normal. That failure is frustrating and RNG dependent.

You beat it on every difficulty and get up to radiant, where the RNG effect is more pronounced since you can only be hit once.

Even if you are right and the time it now takes to beat Pure Vessel by this method is outweighed by how unreliable RNG makes it, as a player, you do not know if relearning the fight is going to take longer than just winning the toss enough times.

Honestly though, Radiant Pure Vessel is a tangent I probably shouldn't have introduced.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Organza Quiz posted:

When I saw this many new posts in the morning I thought maybe Silksong had a release date but honestly this is actually much more entertaining.

Just learn the fight, OP. Why are you trying to beat extremely end-game optional bosses if you apparently don't enjoy Hollow Knight combat? The PV fight is a lot of peoples' favourite fight, because it's fun to learn to counter boss attacks and hit it at the right moments. That's where the fun is! Why even beat PV if you're just trying to cheese it?

In what possible magical world have you inferred that I don't like Hollow Knight combat? What imagined person have you conjured that beats all of Hollow Knight including optional bosses on Radiant and doesn't like the combat?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay okay look.

Radiant Pure Vessel is a tangent. I'm willing to just concede that I fought him "wrong" and that clearly I don't understand how to truly enjoy Hollow Knight. The discussion centralised here because of an offhanded comment I made about beating him on Radiant with RNG, but it's not the point of the discussion.

Just for normal rear end pure vessel.

When I fought normal pure vessel the first few times he kicked the poo poo out of me. So I started thinking about how I could use the room to my advantage. I noticed that when he teleported for spike shot, he tended to teleport centrally. So I started hanging out walljumping on the right hand wall. And it turns out, it makes the fight a lot lot easier.

This is because hanging there neutralises every attack apart from the jumps and the spike shot. The spike shot is trivial to dodge from that point because you have all the time in the world and the jump only hits you if he does it from a point that's directly below you. Otherwise the arc misses.

So I killed Pure Vessel hanging out in the corner like this. Now you may say that I do not understand how to enjoy Hollow Knight combat because i would choose to "cheese" a boss like this. But I contend that it is satisfying to find a strategy that works and execute it. In fact that is part of the combat experience of a game.

The flaw was that in about 1 in 20 runs after I'd finished practicing, Pure Vessel would jump enough times in a row that I wouldn't be able to recover.

If you're willing to accept that this is a much easier way of handling the NORMAL Pure Vessel than fighting him in the center then we have a discussion. If you don't accept this premise then we are simply going to spend all our time talking past each other.

If you take that and then consider the run to absolute radiance, which takes around an hour. I was willing to accept a 1/20 chance of failure on Pure Vessel because the average opportunity cost is 60/20 = 3 minutes. Relearning the fight to eliminate that final 1/20 chance would have taken a lot longer. (And I had a streaming schedule to keep as well as other things to do in my life)

So at the end of my run of Hollow Knight, even before Ascended/Radiant, I came out of Pure Vessel feeling like it wasn't the best fight because the very easy way I'd found of beating him had a random failure chance.

I think a better fight would have provoked the jump more consistently for being airborne to make the corner less viable, or not have the jump at all. And that's broadly why I don't think PV is near the Grimm/Sisters of Battle tier for me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bleck posted:

It has a random failure chance because it's not the best way of beating them. The best way of beating them is getting good.

Have you considered that hooting git gud at someone who has literally beaten the entire game including the optional content (okay not everything on radiant) is possibly the stupidest thing in the world to do.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Organza Quiz posted:

This is why everyone is so confused by this and making a big deal about it, because finding a strategy that neutralises most attacks so you don't have to learn to deal with them but which has a random failure chance is the strategy of a person who is not interested in getting good, and yet you clearly must be a person who is interested in getting good because you are doing the fight. That is why the response is "learn the fight properly", because someone who is doing what you are doing clearly values getting to do cool fights with dodging and parrying and finding attack windows, and it makes no sense for someone who is doing what you are doing to instead value a cheap but unreliable strategy.

But we're not talking about whether I should learn the fight properly. We're talking about whether we like Pure Vessel or not.

I have noted my objection. There is a very easy strategy with a low failure chance due to RNG. I don't like that the game is fine with this because I think either, the strategy shouldn't be available or it shouldn't have an RNG failure component.

The fight may be really good if you choose to limit yourself and not do that, but I don't think that PV can be ranked as the best boss in the game because of its availability. The same way I wouldn't rank Nosk as a very good fight because you can sit in the nook by the platform and avoid almost everything it does.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

brain dammej posted:

This seems like the salient bit. If your metric for whether a fight is good is the existence of efficient, but ultimately unfun strategies, then I guess PV is indeed not the best. I just don't think it's a good metric.

Something something players will optimize the fun out of a game.

Alxprit posted:

Nat, you know we have this sort of mutual respect and a bit of mutual disagreement at times on how we prefer things, but I think sometimes you have to understand that because a strategy works doesn't mean it's the only strategy, or even the best strategy, to be victorious. For my preference, it's with Pure Vessel all the way, because NKG felt like it didn't have any freedom in the way you were able to approach the fight or diversify the way you battled it, feeling like one of those puzzle games where there's only one solution, but Pure Vessel absolutely had that feeling of being approachable despite its difficulty.

So this is I think where we end up.

The value of the ability to approach a fight from multiple angles against some of those angles not being as fun.

My preference is for a stronger on the rails approach, this is your set challenge, it is fair. Opposed to a more creative approach; this is your challenge, you might find an approach that is less fun/more rng whatever.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
City of Tears is where the game went from something that I was playing simply for youtube content to a game that I genuinely love.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

SkeletonHero posted:

Crystal Peak because I'm a sucker for gems. If a level in any game is full of gems and jewels it's my favorite level. I even like Jewel Man's stage in Mega Man 9 and that's so statistically unlikely I mathematically don't exist.

Eh I don't recall Jewel Man's stage being particularly bad, so I don't think you're that far gone.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
CG2 gave me a little trouble the first time but on the pantheons I just kinda figured him out and he became a trivial radiant victory.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

To be clear I'm talking about enraged guardian and maybe it was just learning his cues but that's one of the only bosses in the game where it felt like I was just running into reaction time issues, specifically because he's not that hard to "learn".

Oh yeah so enraged took me three attempts if my memory serves.

I think you're absolutely right, the moveset is relatively easy, but it does trend to more of a reaction fight because the sky lasers are relatively random.

Theoretically it's very easy, stay in front of him, jump the forward laser, dash the jump. But combined with the random lasers, you have a fight that requires good situational judgement.

With practice that gets a lot easier since you just get a better feeling for the space you need to move into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Meaty Ore posted:

Finally managed to beat NKG. The only thing left for me to do is Pantheon of Hollownest. Between NKG, Pure Vessel, and Absolute Radiance, though, I'm not sure I can manage it. I'm not liking the looks of Uumuu or Markoth in that pantheon, either.

It's just a matter of practice.

Find the bosses that give you trouble and just run them for half an hour a day or however long you maintain your interest.

You'll get used to them faster than you expect.