Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm still waiting on Radio the Universe, a game that will never come out

Radio the Universe has become the nuclear fusion of gaming, in that its been perpetually six months from release for nearly a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You can't really rip on a game for copying Hollow Knight when Hollow Knight ripped so much off of Dark Souls itself

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Martman posted:

I disagree. The way soul works, between relying on you hitting enemies and also being used both for offensive magic and healing, is really unusual as far as I know. As a result all the boss designs (or all the combat really), which are extremely well tailored to the combat mechanics, feel very unique to the game.

It's a special meter. It might be novel for a metroidvania but it's extremely common in fighting games and arpgs

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Martman posted:

What do you think of as a "new" game mechanic in a recent game?

Uh, tempo based movement in Crypt of the Necrodancer?

But I didn't say there's anything wrong with it, and there certainly isn't. As you say, good games are mostly just reshuffling pre-existing concepts into a novel configuration, which is exactly what Hollow Knight does.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Martman posted:

Timing your inputs? Wow, lifted wholesale from rhythm games. It is very easy to be stupidly reductive.

What's your point? Hollow Knight is a great platformer, it doesn't need to be gassed up by pretending it reinvented the wheel by having a special meter

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The premise and story presentation is basically just an alt-universe fanfic of Dark Souls too, it has everything from a ruined old kingdom filled with hollows to collecting the lord souls to open up the seal on the final boss to an archaelogical plot pieced together from menu descriptions and quirky and obtuse NPCs doing roundabout world building through their dialogue. They manage to make it work as its own thing but it really wears its inspirations on its sleeve

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

loquacius posted:

I also crapped out of playing Cave Story when I got to the part of the game that felt like a challenge mod and just accepted a bad ending, but I won't have to do that here unless the end boss of this path is that bad

Never beating Hell is the gaming failure that still haunts me all these years later

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I do think having a gameplay demo to show off at E3 in 2019 and then nothing else two years on does bode very poorly. Even if they've not disbanded it seems like something has gone very wrong with development

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cheating specifically to give yourself the award for doing the thing without doing the thing is some real low tier gaming imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I always figured they're anthropomorphic bugs so they're human sized. It's funny to think about the Radiance getting trodden on by a passing walker though

e: and new traitor lord was a bit much imo, didn't need to do double damage as well as the mechanics revamp

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nightmare King was the point where I thought 'this was a pretty good game and I enjoyed my time but I do not love it enough to learn this hellish fight', so congrats to him I guess that's the first time I've had to do that since Ballos in Cave Story

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Silksong is going to be the world's first 80 hour Metroidvania

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That is beyond blatant lmao.

Yeah, I wouldn't even call it a cross with anything, that's just a Hollow Knight fangame

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

City of Tears was where the game really grabbed my attention and showed off the scope and ambition of the game so I'd have to go with that. I kinda like Ancient Cistern Basin too, just for the ominous bad vibes you get when you first go down there

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nightmare King was actually the fight that made me fall out of love with the game's combat. It just boiled down to a handful of moves that require rigid pre-determined responses where the difficulty mostly came from the intense pace of the fight and the twitch reflexes required to match it and didn't get inside my brain the same way a Souls superboss does