Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Really not enjoying Soul Master. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't such a bitch getting back to him. Good bye $2000. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Soul Master was a nightmare on my first playthrough and on every subsequent playthrough I got nail upgrades before doing him, which makes him a non-issue. Spoil yourself on their locations if you have to.

Not a bad idea. How many of those ores are there available at this point? I guess I can farm up a ton of $$$ again. Sigh. That's the worst part. I wanted to buy the key and the lamp.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kassad posted:

I died to him a few times and the shade always spawns in the hallway outside his room IIRC. You can go retrieve your cash and get right back out.

Yeah, that would be nice if I didn't get ambushed by the other dudes that throw orbs while going there. Or the time I missed a jump and fell and had to deal with two at once. I can get to the shade w/ no problem now. But at first...not so much. Clinging to my $80 or so now. Hooray!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I looked up the pale ore locations and it doesn't look like I can actually get any right now. So I am stuck with my current nail.

My charms are the one that gives more soul, the one that lenghthens the nail and I think the one that reduces knockback.

I know I can get the soul master down. It's just practice. Avoiding dumb mistakes. It's the run back that ruins the fun, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SirSamVimes posted:

Have you already upgraded your nail? If not, the first upgrade doesn't require any ore.

Yes. I thought that was implied by stating I needed ore to do an upgrade. But yeah, I found the blacksmith pretty easily in my wandering.

I think I've done all I can in the city of tears at this point other than kill the boss. I've gained and lost a lot of $$$. And I'm not moving on till that fucker is dead dead dead.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

I assume you're on top of this already, but for the record: are you using the shortcut through the lift shaft to shorten the boss runback between attempts?

Yeah, I found that one. Wish I'd found it earlier. That ambush fight before the bench sucked.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

What parts of Soul Master are giving you the most trouble, then? Which attacks do you have a handle on, and which make you take damage?

Just getting consistent. I can handle all the attacks/dodges. It's just getting to the point where I survive through the mistakes. Of course the dive is the one that gets me the most because you have such a small window to move. The real problem is I can only do one or two attempts at a time because I do it once, run back, die again and say F this. Or I try once and say F it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

OzFactor posted:

I’m furiously f5ing, waiting for the post we all know is coming

Thanks much for this post. It was very encouraging. So I went back and did it. I think I got him on the 4th or 5th try. By that point I wasn't making many mistakes. And because I had seen the strat for the final phase, that bit was easy.

Thanks so much.

E: I also made a change. I switched from the pro controller to the joy-cons in their cradle. The separated D pad made for fewer mistakes, as well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finally had some fun. Got a new mask/hit point. And 2 more mask parts. Started exploring the mine, found a rest point but no map so hightailed it out and bought the key and light. Then did stone sanctuary which was a bit of a wet fart.

Need to find those other breakable floors. Don't remember where they all were. And then I guess go back to the mine. Or the fungus cave. I don't think I found that map, either.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh cool. A bench. I need a rest. It's not activating, guess I'll hit the guy sitting on it.

FUUUUUUCK YOOOU GAAAAME!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What else was I supposed to do? I had seen other people sitting on benches earlier. Really tricky of the game to bait and switch you like that.

He didn't seem too hard, but I only had 2 health at the start of the fight so it didn't last long. I died while trying to heal for the 2nd time. But I didn't even get to his 2nd phase so whatever. I'll try again later.

Any advice on killing those crystal flies? Those things are bitches.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got him on my 3rd try. Then found the crystal heart. And another key. I think that's the most accomplished in a short time I've felt so far. I'm really digging how the game opens up. Still not even sure what I'm supposed to do. I vaguely remember the hornet lady telling me to do something but I didn't really understand what she meant. More wandering.

E: Backtracking question. Kinda spoilery. Anyway, based on areas I couldn't get to, I am guessing at some point I will be able to swim and that I will get a super jump or double jump. Something that allows me to jump higher. I'm just wondering if that is it or will there be other things I need to fully backtrack and grab all the goodies? I'm just about certain of the jumping thing because I've seen a number of places I couldn't jump to that didn't have another way to get to them. And for swimming I'm not so certain other than one spot where there was a zig zag thing through the water that there was no way I could go through so that makes sense. Or maybe it doesn't. In the city I was swimming in the water at the bottom. Hmm.. Maybe because it was cold water rather than hot?

E2: just remembered another thing. A black barrier I couldn't get through. But that seems more like an on/off switch sorta thing. Maybe the crystal heart will pop me through it. Gonna go try that.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 30, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I've learned a lesson. If I can afford anything, go buy it before exploring. I tried the spikey area in greenpath. After my first death my ghost was in the middle and I was able to retrieve him. But no way back. So I moved on but didn't get to the end...but my ghost did. And there goes all my $$$ again.

Well, now that I have no $$$ I might as well brute force this thing. gently caress that sucked, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah, that makes sense. And I think I am done w/ platforming challenges for a while. Bosses kill me. Platforming challenges kill me. The rest is fine. I think I'll head back to the city and see if anything has changed since I killed the boss. I was trying to get back to the mantis village but got distracted and died on a challenge. I did get through the spikes challenge and get an upgrade swing. I got excited because I thought he was gonna upgrade the nail but I'll take a new attack.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thanks for the heads up about the eggs. Was wondering what those were for. I'll remember that for next time.

I found the hollow vessel and got beat. So I wandered some more and found the dung defender. He seemed more my speed so I powered through him and found my way into the east part of the city.

I found a room at the top of the building in the east part of the city that had a bunch of spawning enemies. I died a bunch of times in there and by the time I finished I had over 2000. And a full soul globe. Not what I was expecting, but I am not complaining. With that $$ and the turn ins I did at the guy on the west side I had enough to buy two mask upgrades and get to my 7th health point. I had enough $ left over to buy another key.

I took the key to the only door the first key hadn't worked on that I had found. Didn't do well with the guy in there so decided to come back later and went exploring. I don't think it is possible to heal during that fight. It's just constant dodging and trying to get hits in

I finally found a pale ore and upgraded my sword. Then killed the dude and got an upgrade to my fireball. Sweet.

Then I went back to the waterways to see if I could find the map. Found something better instead! The tear thing that lets me swim in acid. I also found a fountain to throw $$ in. I'm guessing that after throwing a certain amount a fairy will come out and bless my sword or shield? OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a place to throw $$ away. I decided I need my $$ for now.

I'm debating between going back to that hollow vessel boss or just farming gold in the city until I can clear the inventories of the 3 guys I've found that sell charms. I'm leaning towards the boss because it's the only one I've found at this point so I am guessing it is blocking the way forward. And you guys said $$ becomes much easier later on. And the only big upgrade I see there is a soul fragment and it seems pointless to buy it when I just finished a globe.

Or I'll go back to the mine. I didn't finish exploring and there were a few places I meant to go back to. The dark area w/ those stupid crystal flies and some machinery stomper things. I also remember a few switches I didn't get to.

But man...getting those 3 big upgrades made me feel like a bad rear end. I still suck but my buffer is much larger.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Arrhythmia posted:

Hollow Vessel boss gives you a huge upgrade

Got him on my first try. Well, technically 2nd. But my first real try. And now I feel like I can really explore. Woot!

E: gently caress enraged guardian. gently caress crystalized mound. yeah, that's fair.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 2, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, it's really cool how often I am finding alternate routes.

And speaking of alternate routers, the infected crossroads sucks. At least, as far as I can tell, I've fully cleared it now.

I've cleared the shops in the main town and just have a couple items from the fat lady and the hobo charm seller. Are there other sellers around? Otherwise, I guess I'll finish them off (should have enough w/ turn ins to the guy in CoT) and then start throwing $$ in the fountain. Is the bank lady worthwhile? I opened an account but haven't been back since.

Oh, I guess I need $$ to do nail upgrades. I got excited when I found a 2nd ore but didn't notice I needed 2 this time. Well, hopefully I stumble into another one soon.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finally decided to check out the graveyard and got the dream nail. And now I have to do a bunch of backtracking. But after two fights w/ dream bosses I ended up with enough ore to upgrade again. Now I need 3 to upgrade again. I guess 4 after that?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I found Deepnest after doing the mantis lords. I think I am mostly done there. Did the beast...that was kinda anticlimactic. Found a hidden boss. Also found a mask shard but can't figure out how to get to it. And found the tram pass. And then died to some dream boss guy. I think I'll come back to him.

All in all, a good day.

E: Oh, and I found a way to cheese the enraged guardian. If you can truly cheese any boss in this game. But standing on the right side and just wall jumping when needed seemed to work. For some reason he'd jump and land next to me but then shoot the other direction. Whack whack whack fireball! Not complaining.

E2: and you weren't kidding about $$. I have like 2k now and nothing to spend it on. And I tossed a bunch in the fountain until it wouldn't let me any more. I'm guessing at some point I will need a bunch for the final nail upgrade. 2 ore to go.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 3, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I finished the game, I guess. I'm assuming there are multiple endings because of what hornet said. Easy way or hard way. I guess I did it the easy way?

I thought I was the hollow knight. But I fought and beat him on the first try. Strange fight. At one point it looked like he was stabbing himself. And then I guess I took his place? So was that me I was fighting or something?

Then there was the thing about me being King. I have no idea what is going on.

I ended up upgrading my nail and my soul all the way. But wasn't able to find all the mask pieces. I think I have 1 or 2 left. I feel like I explored everything. I also had a bunch of missing charms so maybe I missed an area? The whole map seems filled in.

So, assuming that wasn't the real ending, what do I do now?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Artelier posted:

Have you gone to the bottom?

Like the bottom bottom.

Like booooooooooooottooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom. Really far bottom.

Below the abyss?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thanks for the clues. I'll go finish the queens garden. I could have sworn I finished. The map looks complete. I must have missed the boss somehow. I hate that place and wanted out pretty quickly. And I guess I need to upgrade my nail some more. I need to go find more dead bosses and figure out which ones I can fight. I got Mote and the Lost Kin?

Ah, and I never finished the beehive boss. Forgot about him.

And how do I farm 15k gold. Stupid bug ate my charm.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So yeah...the white palace sucks. I might be done. This isn't even remotely fun, it's just annoying.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, I put on hiveblood and the grub one. I can have infinite attempts: of not enjoying myself. I just get the feeling that even if I get through this stupid meatboy stuff, I'll have to face another boss that is even more of a dick punch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I beat the dream zote fight, fwiw. The last guys I beat were the bee and the markoth. Markoth put me around 1850 of whatever the graveyard bug said I needed. I'm sure there are other bosses around. I know there was one dream ghost at least. Maybe two that I saw and was going to go back to. And I had 4 more grubs to get.

I went up some elevator in the palace. Went down through a door and saw a bunch of platforms and saws and said F this and decided to wander around some more. Found another hall with then but no platforms so decided to try that. I got to a vertical shaft with some very tricky jumps and by that point was just burned out. I think I paused the game one the 3rd platform up the shaft.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpLIbqBVtTg&t=716s

I can't get by this point. I just can't do that string of moves fast enough. So that's it. I'm done. Over 30 mins of trying and it's become obvious I just can't do it. And seeing what is coming up I can tell I won't be able to do that stuff either.

And now that I've seen what the last boss is. I wouldn't be able to do him, either. Hahaha. Holy poo poo. That fight is brutal.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Decided to give the White Palace another shot and finally got through it.

I guess the way is clear to the final boss. Will probably tool around finishing up grubs. I am guessing that will give me another badge as I have a hole next to the first grub badge.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Every time I see the thread title it bugs me. I just realized why.

It should be Little Bug on a grand adventure or Little bug's on a grand adventure.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I guess they've been sitting on their hands for months. How can they not have news? No news sounds like no progress. Very strange.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zaphod42 posted:

yeah same

really hoping this is sarcasm

I don't think SA has a sarcasm font.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cartoon Man posted:

Nintendo’s saving the reveal for a future direct that’s later in the decade and not a part of 2021.

FTFY

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
E3 in 2 weeks. Silksong when?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't think you need to use spoilers but it's great that you are seeing how great this game is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

lih posted:

Team Cherry outright said already that Silksong is not going to be at E3 this year

So?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Lots of new posts!

...oh

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sad Panda posted:

Has there been any news about Silk Song at all in the last few months? I was paying attention last year but it all seems to have gone completely dead and Googling finds basically nothing.

It was cancelled. They shifted gears and are now making mobile match 3 games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah its just a 3 person team making a AAA level game. This should all be expected.

Hollow Knight is not a AAA game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm doing my first run of hollow knight since I had first tried it and hated it, and I wanted to know where I could get spoiler free help. Then I realized I could probably ask here as long as I don't look at anything too closely.

So I got lost for a bit down in the depths, and found my way to bug lady who what sells the pins for. And I wanted a pin. BUT! I only have 280 uh... Bug Souls, and I don't know what to get, I'm thinking of not getting the compass, and just buying the quill and pins, since hypothetically, having things marked on the map will be landmarks to get around anyways.

[url]If you want to read about my playthrough I'm writing a reaction journal here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980089[/url]

Just buy everything except pins. You don't really need pins. I mean, buy them, but get everything else first. They are helpful for marking things to come back to later. Everything is useful all the time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You can also use the dream nail to teleport to just outside his chamber. Makes the runback a lot less irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't even find Mantis Lords until way late. I found the claw and left and didn't go back until I had a double upgraded nail and a lot more health and spirit.