Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've been posting my progress in the Silksong thread, because I didn't see this one first.

I'm currently pounding away at my first blind play of HK, and it's been awesome. The NPCs all have a ton of personality, and I've gotten quite attached to a few of them (mistake, I know).

I've gotten to the point where (spoiled for other newbies like me) I've taken out the 3 Sleepers, and I can battle the Hollow Knight inside the black egg. I've just found my way into the Colosseum, and I beat the first 2 battles. Zote found his way back to town, and has proceeded to steal my future waifu.

I'm still having a blast just poking around and trying to explore everything, and mess around with new charm combos to see what I like.

Is there a point of no return in the game? I'm wondering if the battle in The Black Egg is it, so I've been leaving it for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

OzFactor posted:

don’t give up skeleton

Yeah this. I'm trying to pick up HK again after a few weeks of playing Control, and now my muscle memory is hosed up. Gonna have to do some wandering around and fighting randos until I get my groove back.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

b_d posted:

gently caress zote

Yep. The real warriors don't have to brag about their exploits. Cloth 4 Lyfe

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I came back to the game after a long break, and had a rough time trying to jump back in. My last save before stopping was the bench inside the Black Egg, just about to fight the Hollow Knight.
I spent some time visiting spots around the map, trying to get my combat skills and timing back. I came back to the Black Egg, and rolled in. My charm loadout was Joni's Blessing, Hiveblood, and Unbreakable Heart. This gave me an obscene amount of health, and allowed me to just tank a lot of hits during the battle. Took about 6 attempts, but I took him out, and got my first ending.
I have no idea where to go next, but I'll keep poking around for a while.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Dybael posted:

There's already a screen I go to absurd lengths to avoid because if I never actually see a bug succumb to the infection I can pretend it doesn't actually happen in my version of events. I get invested in these things. I'm not holding out hope for a happy ending given the elegiac atmosphere, but if there's something better than the status quo I want to reach it.

Would this particular bug happen to be the [spoiler]happy singing miner? [/spolier] Because that one hurt my heart.

Whenever I hit a wall with a boss, I tend to bounce elsewhere for a while, or else I get sloppy from frustration. Mantis Lords took me a while, same with the Hollow Knight. There's a bunch of bosses I haven't been able to beat yet. I'll normally take a few different approaches, try switching around Charm combos and such. If after 10 attempts or so, I'm not making progress, I'll just ship off elsewhere before I get too pissed to keep playing.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Of all the bosses that have repeatedly stone-walled me in Hollow Knight, the Enraged Guardian in Crystal Peak has been the one that I've made the least progress with. Other bosses, I can survive a little longer, or get to another phase of combat before getting stomped, but E.G. is just crushing me flat each time.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I have fallen more in love with Hollow Knight.

My sweetie bought me a physical copy of HK to go with my new Switch. Upon opening the case, I was delighted to find that there was an actual instruction manual! It was not just a single slip of paper with a link to the company website, but a real manual with artwork and everything!

And wait, what's this?

I know who that is!

Cornifer comes through with a complete map. Way to raise the bar again, Team Cherry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

I've got a note from Team Cherry that says you, personally, need to kill Zote before they'll release it.