Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You're likely to have trouble with all the bosses then. It's important to learn to read their movements and wait for your moment to strike, because chances to heal are very limited. If you lose health from fighting your ghost you can always turn around and kill some stuff to heal before triggering the boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Your next challenge / brick wall is likely the mantis lords. That fight is all pattern based, the only randomness is which attack they use. The world opens up a lot more after that fight and you can go explore multiple areas and look for more powerful charms and weapon upgrades. In fact, you technically don’t have to beat them, just grab the movement power up before that fight and come back later if it’s too hard when you’ve got a few weapon upgrades.

I'm the person who somehow totally missed the mantis lord fight altogether and merrily continued through most of the rest of the game before eventually seeing references to it online and looking up where it was.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

dingo with a joint posted:

I've been trying to beat Hornet 1, on and off, for about two years now. :v:

I would love to see more of the game; what I've seen so far, the exploring and practicing I do each time I come back, it's such a luscious place.

I've never even got Hornet to the third stagger though. :ohdear:

I don't think there's anything more I can find to power-level my way through this fight. At best I can have the soul catcher or stalwart shell equipped, but not both. The only spell I have is bug-hadouken. I'm pretty sure I can't get enough mask-bits or soul-bits to get a full unit of either.

I take it that if I still don't have the real-world endurance to get through Hornet 1, no matter how often I come back to the game, I don't stand a chance in hell against the really tough stuff? :ghost:

Huh. I wonder if you wouldn't be better off playing some other games to build up skill before returning to it? It might just be a hand-eye coordination thing. Not sure which games to recommend though, I was glad to have played Celeste before I played this but that was more for platforming skill and confidence than boss fights.

There are other much harder fights than hornet, but also the game opens up much more so you have much better access to stuff to beef yourself up more.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

dingo with a joint posted:

Thanks for the advice, folks! I'm good at pure platform games (2-D Mario etc), but introduce some melee combat to the mix and I become a total scrub...

Maybe try thinking of it more as like a platforming challenge? She's just a moving obstacle that you have to avoid, so all of your timing skills from platforming should still work!

I think when I first fought her I focused on staying the gently caress away from her ranged attack and area-of-affect attack and just hitting her when she did her dashes, because I found them the easiest to dodge and still stay close enough to her to hit her in between attacks.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm personally stuck on the first Grimm fight since I can't for the life of me figure out dodging his bullet hell attack effectively and even if i dodge everything else perfectly that just takes too much health off me, but I just rebought the game on Steam so I'm hoping once I'm done replaying and get up to that again I'll be magically more in control of my jump height.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jimmeeee posted:

Which bullet hell part, the one where he's in the center and fireballs come out of him? You can get past that part by hugging the corner of the arena. The fireballs come in stacks either one or two high, a normal jump will clear the solo fireballs and a double jump will clear the doubles.

I'm good with the bats one, it's the centre one yeah. It just felt like every time I jumped it was either slightly too low or high enough that it hit whatever fireball was above me? It's been a while since I tried it so I might be remembering wrong.

TheMadMilkman posted:

We’re you playing on console before? Because I also recently bought the PC version on GOG and it really does feel completely different. It actually took me a long time to start competently pogoing on spikes again because I was so used to accounting for lag in the Switch version.

Yep, I was playing on Switch before. That's interesting to know, I'm gonna go start on the PC and see how different it feels.

ETA: It does feel more precise somehow but it might also have to do with playing it on a larger screen than a handheld-mode Switch. Wow I forgot how to fight without steady body!

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 6, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I've been replaying on PC after playing on Switch and not managing to finish the harder content (didn't get the best end, haven't even dipped a toe into Godhome) and I'm surprised at just how much I've been enjoying playing it through again. It's the perfect mix of being familiar enough with the general layout of the place and the way enemies behave to feel confident exploring, but having forgotten enough that it's still really cool rediscovering charms and upgrades and other little extra areas.

I feel like I speak the game's language better in terms of reading where secrets are, I've definitely been discovering stuff I didn't find on my first playthrough. I met the moss prophet and got suddenly dumped into Deepnest, but also instead of going oh gently caress what is this horrible place I could go "I know if I get through this horrible place far enough in this direction I'll find the stag station out" and along the way I rediscovered weaversong. Also I feel like I must have been unbelievably unobservant the first time through but I actually never noticed the little paper trails Cornifer leaves, I always just listened for his humming and hoped to stumble into him. That would have made me feel better exploring new areas the first time around, but it's still really handy now since I absolutely do not remember where he is in any of these places.

Anyway I just beat the mantis lords and I'm feeling pretty good about myself. This is such a good game.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Aw beans, I was avoiding the dreamers because I wanted to keep the crossroads uninfected for as long as possible but I didn't realise killing the broken vessel does it as well!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cactus posted:

I can't even concieve of how thats possible. Different bosses have different charm requirements and I take it there's no way to change your charms once you 've started?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FarUc_Yh_YY

Anything is possible if you believe....

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Celeste for sure, capitalise on the 2D movement skills you've been utilising (also it just has a lovely supportive atmosphere).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Without wanting to set off ten pages of Difficulty In Games Discourse, are there any decent mods for HK that make it easier? Like healing or damage reduction or not having to walk-of-shame back to bosses before you get dreamgate. I have a friend who loves the aesthetic of the game, it's exactly their thing, but they're just getting frustrated with the difficulty of it and it doesn't have a convenient godmode option like Hades does. Any chance the fan community has stepped in to fill the gap?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ha I was just coming back to edit my post to say I found that! It looks like the mod installer is still available from Nexusmods to me? It also appears to have the mods that people use for running randomiser bingo races, so seems popular and therefore probably safe to me.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, at a glance it does look like a decent set of upgrades that will make the game still feel like a game but make it significantly less punishing.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

I picked this up for the free PSN game, so barely dipped my toes in compared to you old hands. For the love of god, I just want to go back to town to buy a lamp. Where are all my fast travel options once you get past Greenpath? Stop killing me and taking my 1000 coins away! I need those! :gonk:

There's a stag station in every zone, it's probably best to explore one zone at least until you find it (and a map) before wandering into a new one. If you're finding an area too difficult then maybe do a bit more exploring in the places you're comfortable and find some new upgrades before returning.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

I must be doing the thing where I accidentally find the perfect path to progress to places I shouldn't be. I haven't seen a stag station since Queen's Crossing and just bought a dash slash attack from some big dude that seems to be a liability more than anything atm. Right now I'm tussling over some dropped coins with a group of enemies that keep spawning from a ceiling and it's just the worst.

Are the enemies spiders?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If you've found the gladiator arena and are being chased by big fat guard dudes and you haven't seen a stag station since greenpath, you are definitely moving through areas before you've explored them properly and are probably kinda underpowered for where you're at.

The flying dudes are still dickheads though especially if you try and deal with two or three at once.

Re: sequence-breaking, lol try watching an any % speedrun and see just how few movement skills you really need!

ETA: I'm actually really curious how you got over to that side of the map without buying the lantern, pretty sure most people grab it much earlier than that and it's used for the main way to get to that side, as far as I remember.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 20, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

What do you mean by underpowered? I've not seen any weapon damage upgrades and haven't completed any new soul container or health bar expansions.
I've got a few journals but nowhere to turn them in it seems

Yes, that's what I mean by underpowered. You have access to all of those things in lots of areas that you must have passed through to get where you are.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Haha amazing, I've been watching the ongoing randomiser bingo tournament so I'm getting really familiar with different pathways through the game with different configurations of items and that was the only way I could think of for you to have gotten there, but I didn't want to ask directly in case I was wrong.

I guess it makes sense if you fall into deepnest before you get the lantern, and you don't get dream nail so you don't get your attention focused on the dreamer locations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I thought people grinding unnecessarily for the lantern was a bigger problem than people not getting it at all. A game like this is always going to find it difficult to indicate when things "should" be done while retaining the freedom for players to do all sorts of different things. It's a feature not a bug that a player sufficiently determined to go down and right can get to the downest rightest parts of the map while missing out on everything else.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Serephina posted:

I never thought of that; What is Zote made out of? He's can't a "Sibling", but looks exactly like them, and his remains imply that he's made of mask and cloak same as the Knight.

Yeah I think about that sometimes too - I guess the knight's mask/cloak combo is actually a normal way for bugs to dress? Hornet is essentially dressed the same way, and Nosk has clearly eaten a bunch of similar looking folks.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

She also describes the PC Hollow Knight as her "spawn." For what you're saying here to mean anything, she'd have to be speaking metaphorically in one case and literally in the other.

How? The PC & the OG hollow knight are the spawn of her and the king, Hornet is the spawn of Herrah & the king. Neither is metaphorical and it doesn't necessarily mean that Hornet & the PC are made of the same stuff, given that they're only half-siblings.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

NoMas posted:

where do you guys get all this lore anyway?

NPC dialogue & lore tablets mostly.

Cartoon Man posted:

He’s mute because the silent protagonist is cool for story telling.

That's obviously the out-of-universe explanation but it doesn't mean there isn't an in-universe one we can speculate about!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Zote doesn't leave a shade when he dies. Not a vessel.

It's true though that he also doesn't leave a carapace.

Zote is a slug??

ETA: hey I have a better question, what the gently caress is the Collector?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

Wow I really hate this giant jellyfish fight. First time I've just turned the game off instead of trying again or wandering off. I think it's because I have to wait for the ally to do his attack rather than develop my own strategy.

You can still strategy in how you move around to try and position it in helpful places for when ka-ZAA happens so that you can immediately move in and do a lot of damage. You can also dream nail uumuu while its invincible to make sure you have full soul to attack it with when its vulnerable.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

lol I've done it again! Managed to sprint straight for the Hive Knight without finding the bench or opening any shortcuts. He summarily executed me and I unlocked everything now that I knew where not to go.

Hey at least you didn't wander into the hive on your first time in Kingdom's Edge before you'd even met Salubra! I'm impressed you even found it, I spend ages looking for the entrance to it myself and eventually had to look it up.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oh interesting, that's nice of them to not let you wander in too early.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

Are the post boss spirit version battles of the Soul Tyrant and Hollow Vessel worth throwing myself at immediately? Or is it more reasonable to try after taking out the Dreamers? Same with the Hive Knight. I'm reasonably sure I can take out this gray knight rear end in a top hat with enough perseverance.

Dream bosses are endgame content. You won't get any particular advantage for killing them early but if you feel like trying then why not?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Double post but I have BREAKING NEWS NEW INFORMATION IN THE ZOTE ARGUMENT:

I'm watching someone do Eternal Ordeal in a randomiser race and when you kill the first Zote there is a very brief but very clear darkness burst animation like when someone kills the PC knight.

Zote is made of void!

ETA: Actually all of these Zotes are clearly made of void. Now commence arguing about whether this counts or not since it's a weird Godhome thing.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 27, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

BBJoey posted:

grey prince zote is the dream invention of a badly gaslit young lady, it doesn't have any standing when considering the real zote

The Zotes in the Eternal Ordeal aren't related to Grey Prince Zote.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yep, save/quit will keep all your progress and spawn you back at your latest bench. Not ideal for exploring but you do keep your geo and whatever cool stuff you found and your map stays filled in if you have the map for the area.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Humerus posted:

Oh I guess I don't know what they're called then, the three ones marked on the map when you get the dream nail. I found the entrance to the one in Deepnest and noped the gently caress out until I have no other choice. I'm thinking the monarch wings and the shade cloak are good to have for the bosses so that's what I've been shooting for.

You should at least give it a go! Deepnest is scary but you never know...

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Uh yeah if you can beat troupemaster grimm you're doing fine and can beat any mandatory boss and most of the optional bosses in the game. You might be mistaking the opinions of massive fans of the game who have played multiple times and gotten everything with people who just play through the game and beat it. Which boss are you having particular trouble with other than NKG who is super super super optional? Have you got all the health/soul/nail upgrades and charms?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Worth noting that getting the better ending requires completing a very long and difficult platforming segment, much more difficult than any other platforming challenge in the game. You may be better off following a guide for it to find easier ways through and builds that will help you for it, because it is *much* harder than rescuing Bretta and it goes on for a *very* long time.

Or just take a break to play through Celeste and then come back a platforming pro!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I mean I don't have the silksong thread bookmarked because I want as close to 0 information about the actual content of the game as possible, but I still expect this thread is going to go a little nuts when there's an actual release date.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The team is based in Adelaide, they're fine pandemic-wise. It'll be ready when it's ready.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I mean if you want to go absolutely hardcore explorer you could do that, but you are going to be making the game much much harder unless you have an extremely strong sense of direction. I guess nothing wrong with that if that's how you want to experience the game though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

b_d posted:

on the plus side, most of the later bosses will have less health because they scale with your nail strength. which doesn't help if you nail them to death but helps a lot if you use a lot of spells!!!

That's just the dream warriors as far as I'm aware. Spell builds are still extremely strong for most bosses though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oh interesting! Most of my game knowledge comes from watching a ton of randomiser bingo races and some other speedruns and I've only ever heard them talk about doing the dream warriors early before getting nail upgrades to avoid scaling, not other bosses.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I mean other than the tram line, your options for getting to deepnest all have some pretty significant disadvantages, and they were trying to convince them to join the kingdom weren't they? Makes sense to build a convenient transport system there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There's definitely some good videos around but it's been so long since I watched them that I couldn't tell you which ones. Anyway yeah there's a ton of lore to know and things to theorise about, it's a super dense game and so much of it is random hidden stuff.