Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I've now finished Hollow Knight, and one of the things I enjoyed most was its dedication to screwing the player over. Like getting robbed, or the pit trap that wasn't there before, or the save point that doesn't save you because NOTHING WILL SAVE YOU and there are probably a dozen other things.

Your typical Eternal Darknesses and Arkham Asylums and Undertales might be very clever-clever with their pretend shenanigans, but eventually they pull back the curtain and the player just congratulates the game for being a smart-rear end. Hollow Knight betrays the player for real, and they yell fuckword after fuckword at the screen, because the game isn't going to take it back. It's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

Just found that actually, seems super useful. Can't say I expected to get it where I did though.

I'm at 92% completion now and it just astounds me that this thread is so small. I am completely enthralled by this game.

I just encountered something that I'm pretty sure has no reason to exist aside from being interesting/amusing:
Wyrm pulls bugs into its thrall,
ages pass and kingdoms fall,
caps and shells may go to dust,
but Mr. Mushroom readjusts.

I may have butchered that somewhat.

Mr. Mushroom actually has a very big secret that leads to the special fourth ending

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Those two are the very last enemies in the trial, so don't despair. If you've got unexplored areas left, now might be a good time to go to there and see if you can find something to help you not suck so much. If you haven't found the Stalwart Shell, Quick Slash, Baldur Shell, Quick Focus, Hiveblood, Shape of Unn or Nailmaster's Glory charms then you're definitely missing out because they're really nice to have for the arena. Also please avoid the final trial if at all possible because it is hell compared to the second trial.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I like how this game has extreme challenges that exist solely for people who enjoy pain with no tangible benefit.

Path of Pain, Trial of the Fool, the upper levels of White Defender and Grey Prince Zote.

The intriguing lore implications of the scene the end of the Path of Pain are an extremely tangible benefit. :colbert:

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

team cherry really messed up by not making the 5 second scene at the end of the path of pain the king putting on sunglasses and flipping you off while doing a sweet skateboard kickflip off the screen

I would have been satisfied with that

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

A Spider Covets posted:

Just got this for Switch! I read the OP and skimmed through the thread some, but was wondering if you guys had any must-know advice for first-timers?

Pretty much the only missable thing in the game is the worst ending, so fight the final boss as soon as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

You lose all your upgrades every time you start a new game.

You keep the knowledge you gain from finishing the Path of Pain.