Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Herrah wanting a child because all the spiders are infected doesn't make sense.

This would mean that Herrah's sacrifice was made after all the spiders went crazy. However, Hornet was cared by them for a time. She even has a room in the Weaver's Den. So they couldn't all of been crazy when Herrah made her deal with the King, cause then there would be nobody to care for Hornet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The infection doesn't completely destroy the minds of every bug. Stronger minds seem to retain more than just their base instincts. The learned bugs of the soul sanctum appear to have retained a great deal of intelligence. Unlike almost every bug their thoughts when you dream nail them are very clear. The traitor mantis also appeared to have willingly sought out the infection for strength, which wouldn't make sense if it completely destroyed their minds. The main thing is that it forces complete unity, so you lose most of your individuality.

...granted that doesn't really explain why a pudgy little preacher would retain more than its base instincts since I wouldn't call it mentally strong.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
While I wouldn't call the Pale King a malicious tyrant, he's definitely not a good guy and the events of the game may have been his fault.

For one, Hallownest's society was not that great. It had many castes, ranging from incredibly wealthy bugs that did basically nothing to literal slaves that are treated like garbage. The False Knight's entire story is about how he was one of the few creatures legitimately better off under the Radiance. Cause before the Radiance came, his entire species were at best slaves and at worst food. So what did he have to lose under the Radiance? The Radiance gave him the strength to protect his family and also forced those that would normally prey upon them to stand down. Or at least it did up until you came along and killed him.

The King also seemed to bury any evidence of civilzations prior to Hallownest. He wanted his civilization to be regarded not as the greatest but as the only true on. Some of the tablets make it sound like Hallownest is the only civilization, but that clearly isn't the case. The King covering up all traces of past societies whenever possible may have been what pissed off the Radiance in the first place, as it was now in danger of being completely forgotten. He had no interest in honoring the past and wanted only his greatness to be revered.

The King built a wondrous society, but it was an incredibly egotistical one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get how you can play this and not see how the King was a megalomaniac. Even the Mask Maker points out that his reach exceeded his grasp;

"I see another takes mantle of king? Then grim responsibility that shall bestow.

No bug has ever laid claim to this whole. Even the beasts knew their limits and bound their realm at Nest's edge.

It is the ancient caste that made attempt at such vast rule. Hallownest's ruin reflects well those fared attempts."

The King created a society that had several tiers of castes where the higher ones lorded over those below, with the royal acolytes and himself at the top. Just because he helped engineer the solution to the Radiance doesn't mean he's unambiguously benevolent. He might have been the one that caused that whole problem in the first place by attempting to remove all traces of its existence.

Anyways, has anyone deciphered the nonsensical tablets in the Archives? Those might contain some interesting info but hell if I can figure out that gibberish.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I would not call a civilization that has a literal slave caste and a bunch of nobles that do nothing but lord over those that have less money than them "enlightened". It looks good because the only thing we have to compare it too is a bunch of light drunk zombies stumbling around.

EDIT: Well actually you can compare it to the Mantis Tribe as well, but a murderous matriarchy isn't exactly great either.

Anyways I don't think the King is evil or anything but I don't think the game paints him as a totally good person either. I think finding him as a corpse in a desolate palace filled with nothing but guards, traps, and sycophants is really supposed to show the extent of how far he fell.

skasion posted:

The king was a megalomaniac insofar as he really was a sorcerous dragon god emperor with incomprehensibly vast powers including something like immortality. Mask Maker's dialogue is abstruse as gently caress even by this game's standards and I don't see how it really tells us anything more than that the society of Hallownest benefited some much more than others.

Just because he's the reincarnation of a pseudo-deity doesn't mean he can't be egotistical. A god like being that is undone by their own ego isn't exactly an uncommon story.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 4, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

VolticSurge posted:

Just did my first Arena fight. Beating Zote's rear end felt so good.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love some additional, harder arena fights.

Same, though with how nasty the last one gets I'm kind of afraid of them making even harder ones.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 6, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nosk really confuses me. There's a whole bunch of effort put into setting it up but then the fight itself is really easy and underwhelming. Terrifying apex predator of the darkness that just runs back and forth like an excited dog.

Honestly, I'd love dream versions of more of the bosses just to see what they would be like as a difficult fight. I assume Hornet's DLC will have more wholly original bosses but if they wanna add more dream fights to the main game I'm totally down with that. Like one where you fight all 4 Mantis Lords at the same time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It'll be Nameless King with Zote's mask glued on.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

George Lazenby posted:

Hey, I'm one of the devs (William). You're right that Nosk turned out to be kinda underwhelming compared to its buildup. It's because when I came up with the idea of the whole lead-in, we were already wayyy beyond scope but I convinced Ari to let me do it by saying we could make the actual boss fight as simple as possible. I'm glad we squeezed that whole thing in, but yeah it makes for a bit of a dip in quality. I think I'm gonna sneak in a new move for ol Nosk in one of these content packs, try to do the poor guy justice.

It's been really great reading everyone's thoughts on the game by the way! :) I constantly lurk SA so I've been following the thread, but thought maybe I shouldn't jump in too much. I'm super happy people are getting into it though!

I was gonna say that this game is awesome but I'm grinding for the menderbug spawn right now so instead it sucks :mad:

I love this game so much thank you

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Marmu is way too cute for a boss you have to fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know I really like the soundtrack in this game a lot. Which is why it annoys me that the actual soundtrack I bought to support is missing a bunch of the tracks, especially the more atmospheric ones. Would be nice to listen to those while working on stuff.

Its not just this game that did it either. I've bought a fair number of games that sell soundtracks but don't include the full OST for some reason.

Zinkraptor posted:

So, honest question - how is your art guy still alive? There's like a million unique enemies in the game and all of them are fully animated, and the environments are crazy detailed as well. I assumed there had be at least a couple people doing art, but apparently it was all Ari Gibson, which blows my mind.

As good as all the character designs are, I really think the amount of detail in the environment is what sets this above other games. Every part is so detailed and there are tons of unique places scattered all around the map with their own art assets. Then there's all the background and foreground details that make the environments seem way more fleshed out but don't actually get in the way of any of the gameplay. The art direction is superb.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Inferior Third Season posted:

Hey George Lazenby. Really loved this game! Keep it up, and I hope to see more games from you guys in the future.

My only complaint is the lack of an option to set your own markers on the map. The map is just too big to keep every place in mind that you know you'll want to re-visit later when you unlock new abilities, especially if a few days or weeks go by between play sessions.

This! One thing that has bothered me in just about every Metroidvania is that you will lose track of things you want to revisit so easily. It would be awesome if you could actually write on your map to create notes about places you want to revisit. It would make backtracking so much easier.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Applewhite posted:

So I collected all the grubs...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Its fine. Its just an extreme version of mouth-brooding!

That's what I tell myself :shepface:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Let me give geo to the mask maker so he makes me fancy new masks. They don't have to do anything other than look cool.

Seriously though, I imagine the game gives you such an immense amount of geo because of the bugstain mechanic. If you're a careful player that always recovers their stain, you won't lose any geo and can buy everything pretty quickly. But I imagine the devs didn't want the game to become frustrating for players that frequently died, so the game gives you a large amount of geo to ensure that even if lose your stain a bunch it won't matter in the long run.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 11, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My response to primal aspids was just hitting them with a magic missile everytime one spawned because gently caress actually fighting them.

I think the most annoying enemy in the whole game are the soul mages though. Stop teleporting you assholes arghhhhhhh :cripes:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I feel like saying "its not super hard if you have the charm that gives you infinite tries" might be missing the point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For what its worth, I don't really view White Palace as optional. Its technically optional but so much of the game is. If you just do the bare minimum the game is significantly shorter, so I think its safe to assume that most people are at least going to try to get the real ending. So its content I would very much expect the player to be experiencing.

I've said pretty much everything others have about it before, but I'll add one more thing; I'd probably enjoy White Palace more if the platforming was exactly the same but had combat sections to break it up. The platforming would still be hard and I wouldn't like it, but it'd be a lot less exhausting if I had some fights to break up the endless dashing into sawblades.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Augus posted:

Apparently I'm one of the only people who didn't block out my memories of all the other platforming sections that were in the game?

None of the other platforming sections are anywhere near as long and very few approach it in difficulty. The only ones where I had anywhere near the amount of trouble I went through as White Palace was reaching Nailmaster Oro without the tear, though I was really bad at nail bouncing then. The other was that one grub in Queen's Garden (you know the one).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wasn't too bothered by the double boss fight because the first one is easily and, more importantly, refills your health. It got old doing it but it didn't require me to actually play well the entire time so I could take it easy before getting destroyed by the real fight again. It does make it somewhat pointless though, so I won't call it good design, but it didn't significantly detract from my enjoyment of the ending.

I'll take that fight any day over From's bullshit multi-phase fights. I still have nightmares about Friede.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah the reason that fight is so "easy" is because he's designed to be fought with minimal gear. Its not like he lacks for a variety of attacks that can be tricky to avoid, especially if you don't have the shadow cloak. And if you don't have a heavily upgraded nail his health pool is a lot bigger. I think he's a pretty well designed fight in that regard.

I just wish he wasn't an Artorias clone in almost every way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

George Lazenby posted:

Dunno what this means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgy1TV12LDc

Tall lanky knight, throws around infectious goop, screams incoherently, carries a large blade with one arm, and fights like a crazy beast. In a game that felt like it invoked the feeling of Dark Souls at places, this was the only part where I felt like it was getting a bit to close to something from it and losing its own identity a bit. This is probably just bias on my part though because I hate Artorias.

Also Watcher Knights probably are a harder fight just because they have so much HP. Also they don't give you any free windows to rack up a ton of damage like HK does when he starts stabbing himself.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think there are also some places where a hazard can respawn you behind your previous checkpoint due to being lower or something. They might of fixed that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Being a Royal Retainer must suck. Every day you have to navigate a gauntlet of sawblades just to use the bathroom.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Augus posted:

To anyone who got stuck in White Palace: Did you know that you could pogo off the spikes by attacking downwards? Doing that probably alleviated a lot of the difficulty for me.

I didn't know this until after I'd beaten the entire game cause its never something you have to do. I knew you could pogo off enemies but I just assumed that wouldn't work on spikes cause otherwise you'd be able to trivialize some platforming.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For what its worth I found the run to Soul Master to be the worst one in the entire game. It was really the only time I got frustrated with repeated deaths outside of that one area (you know the one).

Souls Sanctum has the most annoying enemies.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

n4 posted:

I don't understand why people are complaining about a completely optional part of the game

Well if you read the thread you'd see a lot of people addressing this point.

JuniperCake posted:

I think the difference is that the final coliseum only awards an achievement and is not required for the true ending. So in that sense they aren't comparable.

I think the white palace is pretty cool overall though. Also, I suspect the true final boss takes people more time on average than getting through the palace does.

The final boss didn't take me nearly as long as White Palace. That only took probably about 30-45 minutes while I was stuck in White Palace for hours.

The Colosseum took way longer than both but I had tons of fun with the Colosseum so I didn't mind.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I always thought you were cracking into a heavily-fortified mind and it wasn't a literal interpretation of what the palace was like in reality

This makes sense but the constant BZZZZZZZZZ of sawblades really kills the atmosphere. Should of just made them magical traps or something.

Awesome! posted:

i am ashamed at how long it took me to figure out how the bouncy mushrooms work

guppy posted:

That is the one thing I had to look up.

Same :downs:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Soul Tyrant was the easiest one for me. I beat him on my second try, though a lot of that probably has to do with me getting killed by Soul Master roughly a dozen times before I finally beat him. I conquered his bullshit.

I'd say Lost Kin is probably the easiest though, assuming you equip defender's crest to negate the blobs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Quitting to the menu feels like an exploit but gently caress climbing out of the Abyss the intended way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The first time I went to Kingdom's Edge I heard the buzzing of the Hive and saw the giant fly enemies, went "nope" and walked right back to the tram. I thought it was going to be the Hollow Knight equivalent of Blighttown and some awful place.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I loved Deepnest. Its my favorite area in the game. The only thing I found disappointing was that Nosk was such a chump.

Well I was also disappointed that Herrah the Beast wasn't a boss, but none of the dreamers are. I'm not sure if that was a thematic choice or a "we don't have the budget for this" one. If it was the latter, you'd think they would of just cut out the bosses preceding them instead.

Honestly the dreamers are just weird to me. You'd think they would have a much bigger presence in the game given their story significance.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 6, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Look when I heard the name Herrah THE BEAST I wanted to get a really awesome boss fight out of them. The stalker devouts being the toughest enemies in the game only made me want that fight even more.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

stalking devouts aren't tough, they're just tedious when they're in narrow corridors

They hosed me up more than any other enemy (barring the giant fleas in Kingdom's Edge), though I did Deep Nest really early with only one nail upgrade.

They're a lot easier when you have shadow dash and can just phase through them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ilmucche posted:

Man, watcher knight is a big lovely gangbang. No idea how to approach the fight other than flail and hope for the best

-There will always be a max of two Watchers active, so don't feel pressured to rush the fight. Taking it slowly and erring on the side of caution is the best way to handle it.
-The magic missile is really good in this fight because you can hit both Watchers with it.
-The Watchers themselves aren't very complex enemies, only having 3 attacks. You don't have to worry about them pulling any fancy tricks.
-The fight is significantly easier if you have the shadow dodge since you can just dash through the Watchers when they bounce and roll around.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ambivalent posted:

Unfortunately, God Tamer and her beast don't have any special dream nail dialogue, which is a shame.
Up side, I noticed God Tamer's beast seems to be the same creature as the big one in the background of Queen's Garden.

I was wondering because of those corpses and the name "god tamer" if they might be immature wyrms. Bradoon says that he has to many limbs to be a wyrm though, so that's probably not the case as they have a lot of legs.

There's so many mysteries in this game.

Tweak posted:

Alternatively, have you ever seen a sign you broke get fixed?

gently caress that bug.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you're having trouble completing the journal, look at this;

http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Enemies

It lists all the entries in the order they appear ingame, so you can compare your list to it until you find something missing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kurtofan posted:

NO NO NO WHERES MY GEO

Its very safe now. So safe nobody can find it, including you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

In this eve of the content update, let us take a moment to remember what could have been.

It would of just been Steelsoul mode but you die in one hit and do 0.1 damage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Simple question that's definitely been answered but I don't wanna read the thread because of spoilers;

-Can you access the two new bossfights without starting a new playthrough
-Is there enough content in this update that I should do a new run anyways if I wasn't planning on it

I figured the boss fights were the only major additions but I might be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
oh my god how am I supposed to fight this boss when I'm dying from laughter :lol: