Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I do like that if you actually bother to beat +10 Zote then Bretta dumps him and just leaves to have her own adventure. Would be more satisfying if Zote even noticed though.

As for ~game theories~ about Zote I think he's just a really botched vessel. Probably one of the first ones. It might even be that Zote being such a miserable, worthless creature is what made the King decide that emotionless beings were the ideal state for his void golems. The thing is Zote kind of has to be Abyss related because during his fight he uses a bunch of void powers (in comical Zote fashion, but still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alternatively the King deliberately tried to model one of his creations after himself and the result was a narcissistic idiot with delusions of grandeur.

Oh dear.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The King did not create the first civilization or give literal mind and soul to all the bugs of Hallownest. Its pretty clear that not only are there civilizations outside of Hallownest, but also that other civilizations existed where Hallownest now stands. There are foreign travelers, mention of other lands and kingdoms beyond the borders, and clear indication of precursors to the Pale King's civilization.

The tablets are probably just an embellishment of the Pale King building a new civilization on the ruins of Radiance's. That or they could hint at a relationship between the King and his retainers that went beyond ruler and subject. The King might of had a way to share his power with the retainers and grant them higher intellect. Such intellect would be lost if they strayed away from the King, and thus they would no longer be "higher beings". This could be why Retainers are present in the White Palace dream; they go beyond being memories and are literally part of the King's mind due to this connection.

But again I consider it equally likely the Pale King's ego was so large that he thought anyone outside of Hallownest a savage and everything that predated it to be worthless. It was only through his grace that they were elevated to a state he considered intelligent. The White Bug's Burden.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Okay this literally looks like a Dark Souls trailer

Gonna spend an hour dying to Nameless King but this time its a loving fly

VVV I guess they are aware of all the bug shipping that people do for this game on Tumblr

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 31, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Finally I can seduce Divine and have her bite off my head.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

smh if your plan isn't to romance grimm

He broke my heart after he burnt his body and inserted his soul inside our magic flame baby.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

He didn't create the first civilization, but he did create Hallownest. Before his arrival the bugs were... bugs, not sentient creatures. At least most of them, although it's hinted that some of the races were sentient outside of his power (e.g., The queen in the Hive). The pale king is a reincarnation of the white wyrm found in Kingdom's Edge and it's inferred that these wyrms are highly intelligent, god-like creatures and that this exact cycle has happened before

"...Wyrm's pull bugs into their thrall,
Till ages pass and kingdoms fall
Caps and shells may fall to dust,
But Mr Mushroom readjusts..."

Also a tablet in Howling Cliffs indeed states that any bugs who stray too far from Hallownest lose their sentience
"Higher beings, these words are for you alone. These blasted plains stretch never-ending. There is no world beyond. Those foolish enough to traverse this void must pay the toll and relinquish the precious mind this kingdom grants"

Addressing that was the entire point of my post. I'm not sure how you missed that but let me make it clear; the idea that bugs weren't sentient before the Pale King came is obviously not true. Because in Hallownest alone you have evidence of the Moth and Void civilizations, both of which predate the arrival of Pale King. Again, the tablets talking about the King granting literal minds to his subjects are either embellishment or referring to a special bond between the King and his retainers.

No Wave posted:

What would you see persisting for an NG+? Everything (including monarch wings and shadow dash etc.) so you could have fun breaking the game, or just make it a hard mode?

Charms are the only upgrade I would really want to carry into NG+. That way I could replay the game with different builds rather than using the same easily acquired charms for most of it.

In a dream world they would make a NG+ that gives you all your upgrades but also drastically boosts the difficulty of everything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think its vague enough that either interpretation could be correct. Its possible that every bug in Hallownest was enthralled by the Radiance before the Pale King banished her. Personally I think that isn't the case, and that the Radiance died from something else. The moth's were worshiping her memory in the dream, but when the Pale King's kingdom rose they abandoned her memory in favor of the King. Her memory, which longed to be remembered forever, lashed out at the Pale King's subjects because of this.

I like that interpretation more because I feel it fits the themes of the game better. If the Pale King overthrew the Radiance while she was still ruling then she has reason to be pissed. But if the Pale King merely inherited the ashes of her kingdom and built a new one over it, she's a figment of the past that refuses to be forgotten. And I think that touches on more of the themes about life, memory, and how something can endure in the mind's of others long after it has faded away.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've been thinking about that. Fair warning that I'm about to delve into some pretty out there ~game theories~.

It is stated multiple times throughout the game that creatures under the influence of the Radiance are reduced to their "base instincts". When we think of instincts, we think of our most basic needs and the drive to fulfill them. But there are creatures under the influence of the Radiance that do more than just hunt and kill. The bugs cling to past remnants of their lives. If they had all been reduced to nothing but the most basic levels of intelligence, why would that be?

I think the game is using instinct in a different way than we normally. Instinct here isn't our basic animal needs. Its a distilled summary of who we are as people and what we are driven to do. A guard of Hallownest has the "instinct" to guard, so under the Radiance they endlessly patrol. A noble has the "instinct" that they must hoard wealth and lord it over others, so they continue to do so even though its pointless. Fools in the Colosseum have the "instinct" to fight for glory, so they engage in combat forever. None of these are instincts a creature could be born with, but under the Radiance this is what they are compelled to do.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

Monomon is a cool and good character and so are her precious jelly children.

Actually she sucks because she made Umoa, the worst boss in the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

Flukemarm exists though.

I always forget it does.

Though I'd still say Umoa is worse because Flukemarm is totally optional and doesn't take nearly as long to kill.

I Said No posted:

i'm pretty sure you can't circumcise a bug though

Lemme tell you about my theory involving the grubs

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Part of me agrees that nail damage shouldn't apply to bosses just so their difficulty is more consistent. Some bosses become noticeably easier with even a single nail upgrade. Flukemarm has been mentioned but the Collector is also a much harder fight if your nail can't oneshot his spawns. On the other hand upgrading the nail is an obvious way for a player struggling against a boss to get an advantage so that alone is a good reason to keep it in.

Besides If you really wanted the difficulty of all bosses to be 100% consistent, just never upgrade your nail! :v:

Your Computer posted:

And wouldn't you know it, a lot of very vocal funhaters in the Souls community (but I repeat myself) want summoning removed from the games because it makes them too easy :v:

I don't want summoning removed, I just want From to compensate scaling difficulty for it so its actually fun. 4 players stunlocking Friede in a corner is not a rewarding experience for anyone involved.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

No Wave posted:

All games, even the boshies of the world, are trivially easy compared to things that take thousands rather than dozens of hours to get good at.

Like what? There are people who devote thousands of hours to trying to get good at specific games to compete at high skill levels. There are games with defined end goals but there are also ones where your only measure of skill is against other people.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you kill the Traitor Lord before finishing Cloth's quest she will spend the rest of the game sleeping in Dirtmouth.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jerusalem posted:

The Mourner will keep giving you a new one if you gently caress up (it gets kind of funny because she just becomes resigned to you loving up) so you can give him one. He's all excited and grateful because he thought nobody really cared about him hanging out greeting people as they came through the town :3:

He even changes his bench dialogue to ask you to sit around so the two of you can admire his pretty flower :)

The Elderbug scene with the flower is genuinely touching. I feel obligated to do it when I play the game now even though it doesn't give you any reward.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Last time I did the flower quest I made it all the way to the grave and got really confused because it wasn't working. I was sure I hadn't been hit.

Well I hadn't been hit, but I had forgotten to talk to the Grey Mourner and pick up a new flower after losing the last one :cripes:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Please no I hear the sawblades in my sleep now

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Torquemadras posted:

I love the White Palace and, especially, the Path of Pain EXACTLY because they're unlike anything else in the entire game.

Hollow Knight overall is about fighting bugs. The platforming isn't challenging, with a couple unique rooms thrown in that require tricky pogojumping/wallclimbing/dashing or whatnot. The obstacles are mostly enemies with wildly different behaviour/movement. It's an action game first and foremost. Hell, I'd argue it goes in that direction more than Super Metroid, which has stuff like Morphball/Ice Beam/blocks with unknown properties. It really does resemble Dark Souls more in that regard, as tired as that comparison is (of course, how that action handles is ENTIRELY different, so it's more of a design philosophy thing...).

And in comes White Palace, which disregards all that and is just 100% precision platformer like Super Meatboy.

Hahahahahahaha

This is the reason why I dislike it. I hate precision platforming so I had zero fun with it. I would've liked it a lot more if it had some amount of combat mixed in. It suddenly felt like I was playing a different game from the one I'd been loving up until that point.

Yet despite this I still beat the Path of Pain and did it with Jodi's Blessing equipped because I'm an idiot.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Also I still maintain that regardless of how much you enjoy the platforming, the constant BZZZZZZZZZZ from the buzzsaws ruins the melancholic atmosphere of White Palace. They feel really out of place compared to the hazards found in the rest of the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Counterpoint, this part of the game is optional

Disagree with this. While you can get an ending without beating white Palace its obviously not the good ending and you miss a lot of content by doing it. I'd consider getting the Radiance ending to be what all players should aim for to get the best experience out of Hollow Knight, and that requires beating White Palace.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Precision platforming requires a pretty different skillset and approach than a difficult boss fight though. Beating the Radiance didn't take nearly as long as clearing White Palace did for me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
None of the platforming in the rest of the game is nearly as hard though. Also its usually not completely divorced from combat like White Palace is. It feels drastically different from the rest of the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I 100% believe the palace was always filled with hundreds of buzzsaws and that all the retainers had to do hellish platforming during their morning commute. You can't convince me otherwise.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about (Or related to, rather) the Dream Nail:

So, uh, I unintentionally pasted the Gravekeeper ghost at Dirtmouth. I thought I would just read his mind :(. Did he do anything special?

Also, do we know when the third DLC pack is released? I am tempted to shelve the game or at least slow down my pace until it comes out.

None of the ghosts you can eat with the dream nail do anything important. Once you hear their dialogue they have served their purpose.

Jerusalem posted:

On a bright note, I do love that when you come back, your Shade is being kept inside one of the jars :3:

That is not bright. That is the opposite of bright.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Arrhythmia posted:

Spoilers for what to do next with what you have to get closer to the final ending:

There's a new path at the bottom of the Abyss.

Not necessarily. From the sound of things I think that poster hasn't been to Queen's Garden yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah Grey Prince is pretty hard when you've beaten him 9 times and boosted his damage to the point where he one shots you

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

C-Euro posted:

I tried talking to it with the fungal spore charm equipped and it seemed to react to that, except not the first time I spoke to it? I know that each time you speak to it it moves to another location in the world, is there any merit to seeing that sequence all the way through?

There's an achievement for meeting him at all locations and seeing the new ending scene. If you don't care about achievements just youtube it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Don't get why its called the lifeblood update since it doesn't seem like they added any ~lore~ that explains wtf lifeblood is. I guess that just sounds better than the COVERED IN BEES update.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Stalking devouts being nerfed is lame. I liked that they were insanely tough enemies and it felt appropriate for the apex predators of the area.

More importantly I wanted to watch my brother get destroyed by them when he played the Switch release :mad:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

gently caress me The Radiance has a second stage, this is Sister Friede all over again.

Yeah but unlike Friede the Radiance is actually a good fight.

Also even with all the stuff added in DLC I still find her to be the hardest boss, which is appropriate. The only boss that gave me more trouble was +10 Zote but that doesn't really count.

Mymla posted:

I mean, I think nearly every single boss in this game gets harder partway through.

There are a few that don't but they are definitely the low effort bosses, like Flukemarm and Uumuu.

I absolutely loathe how the Souls series has developed a need for every single boss to have multiple phases but I don't mind it in Hollow Knight. The phases in HK are always building off the previous one, enhancing the bosses moveset rather than throwing a completely new fight at you. It also doesn't feel shoehorned in like it did with a lot of DS3 bosses.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The soundtrack is good but like most video game soundtracks I've bought I'm annoyed that it doesn't actually contain all the songs in the base game. Also it doesn't seem like they are going to update it to include all the tracks added with DLC.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I'm screaming. Don't even joke about something like this :gonk:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TBH that just looks like normal White Palace to me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DeadlyHalibut posted:

I played Dead Cells before trying this and it just ruined the combat/movement for me. This game's combat is so floaty and simple in comparison.

Hollow Knight is "floaty" because you're expected to use jumps and a dash to avoid enemy attacks. Dead Cells gives you an i-frame roll right from the start instead and your character is a lot more grounded since you need to rely on that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tau Wedel posted:

Also, the Switch trailer has some new Gods & Glory stuff at the end.

Oh drat all the Nailsages are probably gonna be bosses then

That's loving cool

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Arrhythmia posted:

Nightmare King Grimm is easily the best boss fight in the game, you're doing yourself a disservice avoiding it.

I actually like Grey Prince and White Defender more. Also I think Radiance is a harder fight. Grimm is still a really good boss though, and i like how both of his fights reward charged attacks more than spamming your basic ones due to his teleporting. It got me to start using charge attacks more.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
https://clips.twitch.tv/LivelyFairMangoShadyLulu

Watching someone play this game blind is really funny

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trial of the Fool is extremely good, fun, and well-designed.

Unlike White Palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Soul Master killed me so many times on my first run since I fought him as early as possible and was getting tilted by his long boss run.

The good news is when I finally got around to fighting Soul Tyrant, I was so used to the fight I beat it on my first try.