Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
there are several enemies, and a few bosses, that like to hover above you. howling wraiths is very useful when you're fighting them. it's a handy way to deal with the flying bug spawners in deepnest, for instance.

also it makes you stall in the air for a little while, which can very occasionally be useful if you need to wait for a mobile platform or level hazard to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Started this game up last night and put an hour or so into it, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna get sunk into it yet. I ran around the Forgotten Crossroads a bit, found the mapmaker, found the merchant, opened up the Stagway station, and ran into a couple dead-ends that look like they need special keys. I also beat up a boss (miniboss?), the Gruzmother, but I didn't seem to get anything out of it.

Where do I find the notch thing I need to buy the compass? Not sure where to go now except some more wandering around lost, but I expected to find it by now, or at least some other sort of upgrade. I'll be honest, the map thing might be an issue for me. I'm not a huge Metroidvania fan, but I've enjoyed them here and there (still waiting for a sequel to Shadow Complex) and I've learned that I'm just naturally terrible at remembering how a stage comes together. Without the compass, I am constantly lost and nervous about exploring further because I'm worried about not knowing how to get back. I've already lost track of all the doors and tunnels I've passed up and still need to explore, but I don't know where they were. :(

you start the game with three charm notches. if you've bought the compass, you should be able to equip it. keep in mind that you have to be sitting on a bench to change your charm loadout.

you do get something for beating gruzmother. there's an npc in one of the huts on the other side of her boss room. speak to him and he'll relocate to dirtmouth as a shopkeeper

your next destination is a room in the centre of the crossroads that you access from the right side of the map. the passage you want is close to the stagway station

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

redreader posted:

I've got a few possible directions, I'll just spoil them. This is for about halfway through the game I suppose. Basically I'm asking 'is there anything I haven't done yet that most people would agree I should beeline?'

- I have the three dream nail bosses to beat. I beat one at the cliffs outside the town, not too hard. Should I make the rest a priority? I know where the one is pretty close to the dream nail lady but there's one in the city that I don't know how to get to.
- There's also the mantis lords
- I explored most of crystal peak and killed the crystal guardian on the bench... didn't really see anything too great there. Do I need to go back? I don't know if I "finished" that area or not.
- At the top of the city there's a battle on a rooftop with a boss who is a giant version of the teleport + throw missile guys. I managed to get him 'dead' and he crashed through the floor but the fight continued and I haven't retried it. Probably I could do it...
- Finally there's the area below the waterways which I have explored but not very deeply.
- Seen lots of trains/trams but no key/pass yet. Did I miss it?
- opened both doors in the city with the simple key. I have an elegant key but no use for it yet.
- is there a power that is related to the thorny vines you see around the game?

if you're looking for a quick payoff in terms of new movement abilities, you'll want to either go back to the crystal caves (I'm assuming you didn't find the movement powerup there) or fight the boss in the city you mentioned

fyi: when people talk about dream bosses, they generally don't mean warrior spirits (ghost dudes who hang around specific monuments in the world and can be challenged through a dialogue prompt). some bosses leave behind bodies that you can touch with the dream nail; if you do, you fight a powered-up nightmare version of that particular boss. dream bosses are some of the tougher fights in the game and are tricky to deal with if you haven't collected a lot of upgrades yet. in any case, spirits and dream bosses both give you essence. the seer npc will give you rewards for reaching certain essence breakpoints. the rewards are cool but you can put off going for them until later if you like. gun for the dream bosses if you want to challenge yourself, otherwise it's fine to wait for now. if you want to check one of them out, head to the room where you fought the false knight and look around.

defeating the mantis lords gets you some cool loot and access to a new area. it's not vital to rush them immediately if you don't feel like fighting them.

the tram pass is in an area you proably haven't found yet (deepnest)

the elegant key fits a lock in soul sanctum

there's no powerup that lets you touch thorns without being harmed or the like. vines are stage hazards that you have to maneuver around. some vine obstacles can be navigated with just the dash, others require upgrades you don't have yet

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
the spiky floor segment gets a lot easier if you can kill off aspids and the ramming mosquito types quickly. if your sword is fully upgraded, a charge attack will one-shot them. the waves get a lot more manageable if you charge up a hit before spawn and instantly swat one of the small guys as they appear.

the armoured flying fighters have lots of horizontal reach but can't attack upwards at all. clear out small enemies first and you can just pogo them to death.

the charm that increases charge speed is really good here and only costs one notch

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

So how much will I hate my own life if I try to do a run with no nail upgrades, no black spells and no hp/soul upgrades?

playing with low upgrades is a lot of fun, but some endgame challenges are seriously tiresome with the basic nail. I eventually settled on getting one nail upgrade for Radiance/NKG/Trial of Fools and felt like I ended up in a good place.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
There's that one section where you pass by a locked door and go on a long detour to unlock it by pulling a lever. Does the door stay unlocked if you quit after opening it but before reaching the finish line? I figured it would, but I finished the path in one go so I can't say for sure. Maybe another poster can weigh in. If it does stay open, that'd cut down the time spent retreading old ground if you can't beat the path in one sitting.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Are they gonna make a sequel or a spiritual sequel?

They're working on dlc for HK right now. I don't think we know anything concrete about whatever else they might be working on. Given the size of the studio (two dudes), and the fact that this game was delayed for like two years, any new game by these guys is probably a long way out.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
I felt like I was hot poo poo after beating the path, but then someone linked me a speedrun of it and I was promptly put back in my place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QnLG-JEzzU <---this spoils the entire path of pain, don't watch until you've already seen it all. defintely worth a watch afterwards tho, it really is impressive how far you can push the movement system in this game

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Feenix posted:

Ok guys, maybe needing a tiny bit of guidance as to where to go next-ish?

I have the dream nail. I have found 2 essence trees. On near where I got the nail, one in Fungal Wastes (I think?) That's all I have marked on my map. I have dash, I have the ground pound, I have gone through Crystal Peaks (But I wonder if there is more, maybe?) I have done Resting Grounds (which seems small, unless there is more. I have the map...)

HK is a non-linear game, so there are plenty of ways you could go right now. here are some things you can do if you haven't already:

-pick up a new movement upgrade from the mines
-smash the cracked coffin lid in resting grounds with the ground pound
-head back to the very first room in the game and keep going left
-use a simple key to unlock the manhole cover in city of tears
-beat the mantis lords and check out what they're guarding

First of all, though, you should absolutely go back to the room where you fought the false knight and look for something you can hit with the dream nail.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Feenix posted:

1) I will check this out.
2) Did that, Shoulda said so. :)
3)I don't know why I didn't realize I could now go do that!!!
4) I bought and used a simple key to the right of Dirtmouth. I assume I can get another key somewhere?
5)I fought Mantises and got the claw to walljump. Are the Mantis Lords something else?

Thanks! :))

I assumed you hadn't jumped into the grave since you didn't mention having access to the right side of city of tears, but I see you posted later that you just hadn't taken the lift down yet.

There are enough simple keys to open every lock in the game that requires one. You should be able to find one in the city of tears

The mantis lords hang out at the bottom of the mantis village. The first time you visit, the drop down to them is covered by a giant hatch. There's a lever in the upper village that opens the hatch - it's not super clear that's what the lever's for, so you might have opened the path without realising.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

But... The Knight responds to every keypress and you gave complete control over your jumps. You stop going up as soon as you let go of the key. How can you make the movement any more precise?

One thing that always annoyed me, just a little bit, is the delay on the double jump. I don't understand why the devs built inertia into exactly one move and then ignored it otherwise

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
it's a joke post, my dude

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
The watcher knights have three attacks:

A horizontal spin dash. Jump over them when they do this move. You can pogo off the watcher as it passes under you for extra air time, which lets you save your air dash to evade an attack from the second knight. If a knight hits a wall early in the dash they'll deflect off it and spin in the opposite direction, so keep that in mind. Ideally you want to avoid putting your back to a wall.

A spin jump. If they do a little bounce while spinning up, you know they're jumping. Just walk under them while they're in the air (adjusting for whatever the second knight's doing; sometimes you gotta thread the needle if one goes high and the other goes low).

A sword combo. This is the easiest attack to avoid and also your best chance to get some hits in. You can pogo off them while they're swinging, just make sure to get away afterwards or you might get clipped by a jump.

Spells are pretty cool in this fight and lets you burst down a knight quickly. Consider trying some spell charms if you aren't using them already.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

:| I perfected Soul Master when I woke up this morning. How do you even start your day after that.

by immediately going back in and fighting Soul Tyrant, obviously

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Meallan posted:

Tell me your radiance tactics thread, please.

Also spoil me, after getting to the second part of the fight? How much is left?

Well the positive side of this is that the hollow knight fight has become completely trivial to me.

Have you tried vanquishing it with powerful sword techniques

And there are five different phases to the fight, lmao. Good luck

Less facetiously, it'd be helpful if you told us which attacks you're having trouble dodging. Radiance's damage output is huje enough that you can't really outheal her, so you have to consistently be avoiding all, or almost all, of her attacks. I can tell you right now that Abyss Shriek deals a tonne of damage to her, so you may want to try using magic-enhancing charms.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
Ahahaha, gently caress you, AR! You and your whole crew!

Finally beat pantheon 5. I'm never going through that poo poo again.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
Nailmaster's glory is really strong and makes it much more practicable to use multiple charge attacks during the same wave.

For the very last floorless section, with the low roof, I remember saving up soul and using spells to instantly burst down the last few flyers. I think you might need the shaman stone equipped to kill them with one shade soul? It's been a while.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Any advice for Knightmare King Grimm? This is ridiculous.

Post which attacks you're having trouble avoiding

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Uhhhhhh....all of them. The problem is that he doesn't really go in any set order so it's hard to predict. I can hop or dash through the shooting bats fairly okay, but the dives and dashes always screw me over and the loving fire pillars are insane. The fact they leave fire burning afterwards trips me up every time. I've never even done enough damage to get him to shoot out all the fire balls and I've been at it for hours.
OK then. First of all, the shadow cloak is really useful in this fight. You've probably found it already, but if not, consider going back out in the game world to look for it. As for the big guy:

Divekick: I like moving away from him while he's airborne so the first part of the attack misses. That way you're in a good position to jump, letting his followup ground kick pass under you and pogo-bouncing off him once. You'll get enough air time to avoid the fire trail if you do it right, but remember you can use the double jump to save yourself from falling into it. Also, it's much easier to pogo him close to the beginning of his lunge, when he pauses for a split second after landing. Don't try it at the end of his attack or you might get clipped by his head when he stands up from crouching

Lunging claw slash: Again, I prefer staying low and just moving away from him. Depending on how close he is when he teleports in, you may or may not need to dash away from him to get enough distance. You can then turn around and hit him once if you're quick, but you may not want to risk it if you're struggling with this particular move. If you have your back against a wall, you may need to shadow dash through him instead. Either way, it's good to be relatively close to him when he combos into shoryuken because that leaves you in a position where the closest fireballs will be coming down close to vertically, so it's easier to find a space between them

Fire bats: The bats go high, low, high, low, so let the first one pass over you, jump over the second and shadow dash though the third (or thread the needle between three and four). You can get several melee hits in before he teleports off

Fire pillars: Note that the pillars only start dealing damage once they extend to full length - each pillar is preceded by a little ground flame that doesn't deal damage. This means you can do a stop-go-stop-go thing and the pillars won't hit you, as long as you get the timing right. The pillar attack leaves big openings for you to counterattack, so you want to avoid putting any fire pillars below the boss if you can. You can make more efficient use of the floor by moving away from Grimm when the first warning mark appears and then jumping and shadow dashing through the first pillar to double back the other way, moving towards him now. Remember that abyss shriek can deal hilarious amounts of damage to airborne enemies. Alternatively, this attack affords you lots of time for healing if you just equip shape of unn and move while focusing

Ground spikes: I don't have much to offer in the way of advice here, I'm afraid. You just have to stay grounded and move to a safe position before the spikes extend all the way out from the floor

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

I loving hate Ascended Markoth

Markoth is not the hardest part of pan 5, but he is 100 % the most infuriating.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

It took me a while to get him in the Hall of Gods, but once I did, I realized I need to just all out blitz the motherfucker in the Pantheon, and I've been having good results.

I'm to the point where I can make NKG nearly every try with full health. Now it's a matter of practicing him and PV until they are completely demystified. There is something about NKG's Spiral Arrow into immediate Dragon Punch into Fireball Shower that still gives me trouble. The stupid fireballs catch me way more often than they should, but otherwise I think I have him down.

When NKG is doing his claw swipe, I like to respond by either dashing away from him or shadow dashing through him. That way you can stay close to him when he leaps up, which means the nearest fireballs will be coming down nearly vertically. It's easier to find a safe spot between the fireballs if they're falling at a steep angle. Plus you can sneak in a sword swing at him just before he jumps.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

That fight has slowed down for me a good bit and I don't think I should lose to him going forward, so long as I have nearly full health going in to the fight. In general, I've been jumping over his lunge and then saving my shadow dash in case I need some invulnerability when the fireballs come down. I've given up on trying to consistently hit him when he does the dash - uppercut or the divekick - dash.

It's possible to hit him consistently during either of those moves, but you're obviously not wrong to wait for bigger openings if you prefer. Slow and steady are very good adjectives when you're 35+ fights into a pantheon run, after all.

Sounds like you're closing in on victory. Don't give up, skeleton!

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Eschatos posted:

Hey folks, I'm pretty far into the game and am unsure what to do next. I killed all three dreamers, explored just about all the map(I think), bought everything that can be bought, and am now banging my head against the final Colosseum of Fools challenge. Any hints about what I should be doing after that? I'm trying for the true ending but am not real clear on what's involved past getting the King's Seal after the second Hornet fight. Will going to the Temple of the Black Egg trigger the end of the game? I've also managed to miss the start to any of the DLCs.

How much dream essence do you have? If less than 1800, try fighting some nightmare bosses maybe.

Going into the temple will trigger an ending, but you're not locked out of seeing anything (you just wake up at the final bench before the boss fight in there and can continue playing). Go check out the normal ending if you like; if you wait until after clearing the colosseum, the associated boss is probably going to seem pretty underwhelming by comparison.

DLC content starts at a room behind a breakable wall in the howling cliffs for Grimm Troupe and a room behind a breakable wall in the sewers for Godmaster.

One Hundred Monkeys fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 13, 2019

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

hughesta posted:

alright, after completing everything in the game prior to Godmaster's release I'm finally gonna tackle that DLC now. Made it to what I assume is the primary DLC area - anything I should know before walking into these challenges?

There's a boss gallery in there where you can have rematches with any of the bosses. The requirement for adding a boss to the gallery is to see them for the first time, and not to beat them as you might expect. This is significant because there are some hard new bosses in Godmaster with no checkpoints in front of them, so the gallery lets you do practice runs on them easily.

Also there's a god tier secret in Godmaster. Check the roof of the second floor of the boss gallery

One Hundred Monkeys fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 13, 2019

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Eschatos posted:

About 1100. Are nightmare bosses the ghosts that show up and can be fought after dream nailing them? I've killed two or three of those, haven't seen any others.

No, nightmare bosses are harder versions of regular bosses that you can fight by hitting certain boss corpses (or occasionally other things associated with them) with the dream nail. If you want to check one out, try going back to the room in the crossroads where you fought the False Knight and search the area.

There are a slew of other nightmare bosses, but you may or may not have access to them right now depending on whether you've fought their standard versions

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

hughesta posted:

holy moly this secret

I know, right? Extremely powerful

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

It's definitely got a very slow start. It's my biggest criticism of it.

Finally got the void heart woo

The slow intro is part of a bigger issue, imo, where the game's difficulty curve is flatter than it ought to be. HK starts out simplistic and easy and raises the difficulty level very slowly for most of its runtime, only to ramp way up in the closing act with the colosseum fights, the palace sequences etc etc. So players who want brutally difficult boss fights and Celeste tier platforming mostly only get it at the very end, while players who prefer a relatively chill, exploration-focused game where the combat isn't super stressful run into a brick wall just as they're gearing up to see the true ending.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Any suggestions for the second fight against Hornet? I've one shotted most other bosses but I just cannot down her. Her windup times are only good for dodging, I barely get hits in. I've got 8 hearts and the second or third nail. Once she starts summoning those spikes I can't hit them all and dodge her. A few of her moves have the same tell which is extremely frustrating. I'm at like 20+ attempts and not getting any closer.

I had no problems with her the first time ironically.

Clearing the spikes from a distance is helpful, as another poster already noted. The shaman stone increases projectile size as well as damage, making it easier to hit multiple spikes with a single spell; your call if that's worth the charm notches or not. Collecting the upgraded projectile spell is good for the same reasons, if you haven't picked it up already.

More generally, Hornet's at her most vulnerable just after attacking. She crouches down before lunging and stands upright with her spear held like a javelin before throwing it, so learn to tell the difference between those two. Her parry stance is instant but you can dodge the riposte by dashing away from her, so it's only dangerous if you let her back you into a corner. Her jumps are instant too, so hanging out directly above her is risky unless she's already committed to an attack. Try hitting her just after dodging one of her moves and then backing up until she attacks again.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
If the white palace irritates you, you may want to go collect the hiveblood charm.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

so the hollow knight was mistake selection by the pale king or did he just corrupt it with feelings by treating it like a son?

Who can say? The hollow knight ultimately failed, but there's no way to tell if the seal would've held with a different vessel. The king's plan might have been doomed from the start, for all we know.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
"git gud"

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

There isn't really a "good" ending where flowers bloom again and everything turns out wonderful if you get that last 1% completion.

Don't listen to this guy, there is definitely a good ending and you get it by beating pantheon 5

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Zack Ater posted:

I think that's it? So I have a few places to continue exploring next time. Writing it all out has helped. I've gotten two extra health, and one extra soul container. I don't think I've seen any DLC stuff yet, though, when is that? I also feel like I'm underutilizing the dream nail, I'm just using it on the dream trees so far, and that one ghost boss in the resting grounds, whom I had forgotten about until just now. And the ghost in dirthmouth. I don't know if there's more I can do with it or not?

Most of your questions have been addressed already, but re: the dream nail:

there are a whole host of mini-boss spirits like the one in the resting grounds. chances are that you've passed a few of their anchors without realising it, because the spirits are invisible until you collect the dream nail. there's one in the upper fungal wastes, for example.

hitting people with it lets you read their minds. very occasionally this will provide you with game hints, but it's mostly just a way to add a bit of extra characterisation to ppl.

some people, or objects, are especially dream-significant and will react in special ways if you dream nail them. if you see something big and/or conspicuous that you can't otherwise interact with, consider hitting it with the dream nail. for an example of what I'm talking about, try going to the room where you fought the false knight and searching the area carefully

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

I just recently found out about charm synergies, by looking at the hollow knight wiki. Weird that they don't explain them in game at all. Is there any in game indication that when charms effect each other?

Not to my knowledge, no. Some are accompanied by obvious sfx changes, but others just work in the background and are basically invisible unless you specifically test for them. There's a bunch of "secret" mechanics like that which are never explained in-game.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Yes. I thought that was implied by stating I needed ore to do an upgrade. But yeah, I found the blacksmith pretty easily in my wandering.

I think I've done all I can in the city of tears at this point other than kill the boss. I've gained and lost a lot of $$$. And I'm not moving on till that fucker is dead dead dead.

I assume you're on top of this already, but for the record: are you using the shortcut through the lift shaft to shorten the boss runback between attempts?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, I found that one. Wish I'd found it earlier. That ambush fight before the bench sucked.

What parts of Soul Master are giving you the most trouble, then? Which attacks do you have a handle on, and which make you take damage?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
There are no missable (unique) items in the base game, but the devs have patched in some content you can potentially lock yourself out of seeing. For best results, make sure to help your pals Zote and Grimm.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
No, but he's presumably doing the pantheon and doesn't want to be stuck with Unn for a whole segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
The ground pound spell is back in the city of tears. The shadow dash is only available after you beat hornet II.