Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Multiple people have found that boss to be a particularly hard fight for when you meet him. And yes, there will be a few other difficulty spikes along the way. The good news is that you don't actually *need* to kill him to actually progress for a good long time, and some things you can get, particularly nail upgrades, tend to make boss fights a *lot* easier. (For reference: you start with 5 nail damage, and get +4 per upgrade. So the first upgrade, that you probably had, almost doubled your damage, and two upgrades from now it will be doubled again).

As to what else you can do right now: Farm up enough geo to buy the lumafly lantern from Sly if you don't have it yet, then head East from the Crossroads

Edit: Come to think of it, the area you will get to if you follow the instructions in my spoiler will also be a good indicator of if you can handle the platforming. If you get there and it feels too hard (which it might), then maybe yeah, stop while you're ahead. The game has lots of good things going for it, but they're pointless if you're too frustrated to be able to enjoy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i never met bretta and i finished the game

You can't get 100% without her, alas.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I am curious if it's possible to skip the first mound with dream gates.

Maybe you're talking about something else, but the only "mound" I'm aware of is Ancestral Mound, where you get the fireball spell extremely early in the game. You need Dream Nail + 900 essence to get dream gates.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm curious if they prevented dream gates from shortcutting the flower quest. (I assume so since that's really obvious, but don't have a save file to test it.)

It's been tested. Dream gate breaks the flower.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Spatial posted:

Who would mind such a heroic-smelling bug? :)

That uncultured swine who trades in worthless trinkets and gee-gaws in the city.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Arcturas posted:

I am repeatedly beating my head against Trial of Fools. Finished most other things in the game (haven't done Radiance but have all the charms and upgrades I think), but good lord this is brutal. White palace I didn't find nearly as bad. I can get through most of it okay but often take damage on the spirit things, the all-air section, the spike-platform jumping assholes section, and I haven't had enough practice to figure the final duo yet. Uuuugh.

Also I had no idea that Zote and Dung Defender 2.0 had multiple fights. I thought it was just one each. Might have to keep at those.

Hard to give a lot of tips other than practice until you start feeling more comfortable reading their movement. I will recommend practicing doing a spike-hop from one edge of the arena to the other. When you find yourself unable to get above the enemies, this will often give you some much needed space. Spike platforming jumping assholes is bullshit RNG and you shouldn't feel bad. I never tried it myself in this context, but Descending Dark gives you a really long invulnerability time. Maybe try to initiate one of those the moment you see one coming towards your platform. Spirit guys are also obnoxious, fwiw try to keep in mind that you can actually bounce off the electricity cloud.

As for the final duo, keep in mind that the rider is generally very slow to move. She has massive reach with that weapon, and that might catch you of guard, but if you're far enough away you shouldn't worry too much about her movements surprising you. So focus on keeping track of the big guy, since his roll move gives you less time to dodge.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

I picked this up while it was on sale. I think I like it, but the game can be pretty punishing with save points. The maps are so huge for this type of game that it can take forever to run back if you die, and it's frustrating if you get killed by a tricky boss that's far from a save point (I lost 1000+ cash by dying on the run back to Soul Master). I guess I was expecting a little more Metroid and a little less Dark Souls.

I'm in Crystal Peak now, and I only have four or five crests available. Are they well-hidden, or back-loaded, or did I miss something really obvious?

Trust me on this: You will soon reach a point where 1000 soul doesn't feel like that much. If you constantly keep Gathering Swarm equipped you will reach it even faster. That's not to say that the lack of benches isn't frustrating in that situation, but you don't need to worry about money.

Charms are neither extremely well hidden nor particularly back-loaded (a little bit yes, because of how Metroidvanias work with new abilities giving you access). Consider that you have found, by my estimate, about a quarter of the areas in the game. Game big.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I'd disagree on Mantis Lords. The entire fight is basically: telegraph -> deterministic action -> you get one or two hits in. The set of actions changes in the second phase (and is harder) but it's the same idea. It's basically operant conditioning until you've sufficiently committed the correct responses to muscle memory.

And yeah, my single data point with the Mantis Lords seems to reinforce your point. I have a friend who is a bit better than me at improvisation. He will consistently beat Lost Kin and Soul Tyrants taking less damage than me, but I can kill Mantis Lords flawlessly whereas he hasn't quite managed yet.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Ah yeah i started down the path to that but backtracked to check out Kingdom's edge instead. I'll probably hit up the sewers after work and then flip a coin for deepnest or basin.

Minor spoilers for where to find stuff: other than a Pale Ore, and a crucial plot progression thing that you don't care about if you're not rushing to finish the game, there's really nothing interesting in Deepnest. Not saying you shouldn't go, it's really atmospheric and fun imo, but if you don't like it, you can avoid going in there for a good long time

Dancer
May 23, 2011

King Superman posted:

Warning for those attempting this part: Remember the miniboss you fight the first time you enter the White Palace? There are two of them at the very end. Alone they're not so bad, but facing two reasonably durable enemies that inflict double damage is not fun if you're coming into the fight with half health and not expecting it. Assholes kicked me all the way back to the previous bench twice.

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Get well soon. :(

Which "previous bench" :v: ?

That being said, here's a bullet point summary of how the new thing plays (don't think this needs spoiler tags, but just being safe):
- sheer platforming difficulty is about the same as WP proper, except...
- the distance between consecutive bits of solid land is much longer, so you actually need to achieve some degree of consistency.
- this is alleviated by the game giving you sources of infinite soul after what feels like every other obstacle, so you shouldn't worry about dying to attrition as you might have in WP basic

Experience-wise, I'd say it's actually similar to the original WP (except, if you've replayed the game a few times you'll be much more comfortable with the platforming than you were the first time you played). Took me about an hour, of which two thirds were on the single very long final chamber. I like that Team Cherry have now embraced designing around the down-swipe as just another platforming tool. There are several obstacles where it is required.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Fwiw, if you know what you're doing you can get dash + wall-jump in like... 1-2 hours. Double jump is a bit more hidden tho.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
No, there's no need to ever wear that charm. Recommended charm to buy: Gathering Swarm. Makes sure you collect Geo passively, including a some that you couldn't reach otherwise because it jumped somewhere you can't go. Grinding for Geo sucks, and even though it's unlikely, you probably want to make sure you don't ever need it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
That thing disappears if and only if you die before retrieving it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
If you finished off the third dreamer, there will be a clear indicator on your map for where you can go next. Make sure to zoom out if you can't see it.
That room in the abyss is technically not required for anything other than 100%. The only thing I can say without giving it away is take a good look at the room. That's a funny looking block in the middle, ain't it.
Finally, for the good ending there's one thing in the queen's garden that's very important (and I expect you'll know it when you find it). It's also very important that you have enough essence in your dream nail, so keep working on that. Note: (slight spoiler, but it's a dumb detail I am personally glad I got spoiled on myself) there are several bosses in the game that you can dream nail to fight a powered up version, for essence. They are Dung Defender, Soul Master, False Knight, and Broken Vessel.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Essence will go really fast once you start actually seeking it out. Several bosses give 300.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

White palace: There are secret rooms with easter eggs and some mysterious stuff that gives you a little more information about the king (nothing major though). If you are only after items then you can leave after you get the kingsoul and not look back.

There is also a hidden wall that blocks a "challenge" mode in there called the Path of Pain. Though only go in there if you want to suffer. There's no reward other than a small cut scene and it's easily 10 times as brutal as the regular white palace. Definitely check out a youtube of it at some point though.

Note: if you do look it up on youtube, and you decide you want to try it yourself, make sure you don't watch all the way. Stop the video somewhere around 3/4. There's a nice surprise at the very end.

Oh, and another thing. While Path of Pain is a lot harder than regular WP, it has
infinite soul sources basically everywhere, so you'll be able to heal up all the time between obstacles.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Soul Tyrant is probably the easiest. There's one distinct attack (orbiting orbs) where healing is consistently possible.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Yeah, back when I was trying Steel Soul, the things that got me were really dumb as well. I failed twice.One of them was this slightly cramped arena with city-type enemies, heading into Isma's Grove. City enemies, in general, feel most threatening without sufficient preparation. Another one was Watcher Knights because I wasn't taking it "seriously" yet, so I still had Gathering Swarm + Greed equipped, and I was on 6 masks. I got really close to dying to Hornet 2 because I just found out yesterday after 150 hours into this game, and completing Steel Soul + 99% Glass Soul that you can hit those things she leaves hanging in mid-air to get rid of them.

I also almost died in that place heading into Ancient Basin. Lancers are dicks. And I also almost died trying the flower quest because "hey I'm going to be really careful and not get hit at all, I can totally over-charm myself, what could go wrong".

Stuff like Trial of the Fool and Radiance wasn't really an issue because I could practice those on my normal save. And those two more difficult warrior graves might be difficult if they had more health. I just damage-raced.

One thing that amused me is how different the difficulty curve looks on Glass Soul. Top 3 bosses: Watcher Knights are, predictably, a massive pain in the rear end. Nosk is suddenly challenging because he's just so fast and "random" that it's extremely easy to mis-step. Dung Defender took me 30+ tries to beat. The three Dream bosses took less than that (this was pre-DLC). Radiance took less than that.

Speaking of Dream bosses, Soul Tyrant (which I always regarded as fairly easy compared to the other two) suddenly required the most attempts, because that fake-out kept catching me. And Trial of the Conqueror just broke me. I didn't even start up Trial of the Fool as a joke. Just shut down, called it at 99% and moved on.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
One little thing that bugged me about [final boss fight] is if you're "lucky" she'll float just slightly above a platform, and let you DPS her into oblivion.I thought the difficulty of the fight was really well balanced otherwise, but I'd have prefered it if there was a cap on damage she would take before forcing her to reposition.

SirSamVimes posted:

he is my precious and perfect son :colbert:

Amen, brother.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

No Wave posted:

(besides maybe watcher knights)
:commissar: Please report to the Department of Wrong Opinions for immediate termination.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
One thing not mentioned by skasion: I'm assuming you've met the Dung Defender. It is a common stumbling block for people that they don't know what's triggered by defeating him. Consider looking that up and going there, because that is also plot-crucial.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

No Wave posted:

I think I beat the game without fighting DD.

I'm quite confident that's impossible without speedrun tricks/glitches. I'm fairly sure to get to Uumuu you normally need Isma's Tear and to get that you need to fight DD. The Isma's Tear requirement can be bypassed in a few ways, including with some reaaaally accurate crystal dashing.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, so yeah I was wrong. 3 paths to access Uumuu, two requiring Tears or bypassing with careful dashing, and the last requiring Shadow dash. Totally forgot about that last one.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

No Wave posted:

Boss health bars are a tough issue. They make the battles more fun but they also encourage facetank styles of play in a game where facetanking everything is already too strong. It definitely annoyed me that they didn't exist, but there are a lot of boss battles I would have plowed through without learning them if I'd known exactly when it was safe to start taking damage.

This is a thing that bugs me a lot as well. Not necessarily saying the game as a whole needs to be made more difficult, but a lot of battles could stand being longer. My solution would be higher nail damage, but only half-strength upgrades. Like, instead of 5 +4, let's say 7 +2. Final damage 15 instead of 21.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
"Ori did it better. All of it."

Also lol at including Elysian Tail in the list.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
If they do that then they should retroactively make Path of Pain worth some % :v:.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
This game is really good at being difficult in a variety of different ways, with every player having their obstacles they're weak against. I never got the hate for Primal Aspids. The were annoying at first, but got a lot more manageable once I learned to be patient. Bait out the first shot, take a little jump, probably dash in some direction (depends on exact position) and whack those mofo's. Ideally, while you're being patient, use the time to charge up a super-slash that should one-shot them.

Your Computer posted:

You say that, but uh

:v: gently caress that wave so much. One time I stood on the platform in the middle and watched all of them bounce to their death, another time I was thrown around like a ragdoll and was left with 1 health after the wave was over.

Also forever gently caress Primal Aspids though. Those things are straight evil.

I thiiiink I saw someone cheese that wave by wall-jumping as high as they could into a corner and just waiting there? I might be confusing it with another wave tho. It definitely is random as heck, and a pain and I've lost several runs to it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I tend to agree. Yeah, the speedbump in-between attempts was a tad uninteresting, but it was also kind of fun to just wipe the floor with him over and over and over again.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
There's one particular recommendation I'd make to avoid excessive backtracking later. I'll use initials of areas to avoid spoilers. Toward the very south east of QG there's a key that lets you in to a place center-west of KE. There's a particular fight there that you want to win and get the reward for

Dancer
May 23, 2011

No Wave posted:

I subscribe to my headcanon of the king somehow being the hollow knight because he couldn't bear sealing his perfect creation, the protag (and he was arrogant enough to think he could do it). It would make the last scene where the HK helps out the protagonist more gratifying and it would make the Pale King sadder and a better but obviously flawed dude, completing his arc by redeeming himself and doing what he couldn't before (allowing his vessel to perform its task). It would also be a repetition of the kingsoul becoming the void heart. As is, the other HK helping you doesn't mean all that much, he's nobody.

It would also explain the regal air someone says you possess because you were the one who spent time with the king, and it would explain why the radiance seems pale king themed in general (you're in his head). But in the PoP scene we see that vessel had slightly different ears, and it doesn't explain the flashback of the king walking away with a different vessel in the abyss(unless that vessel was you and you were seeing through the perspective of a failed vessel, which again I like) so it's a no-go in terms of actually happening.

One quick note (and it's perfectly possible that I'd wrong) but afaik the 'regal air' comment happens after you get the King's Brand, so that would probably explain it better.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

wyoming posted:

Picked up this game last summer, couldn't beat the crystal golem, but stumbled into the Resting Grounds anyway, got stuck at the Soul Sanctum mini-boss, the Dung Defender, and the Mantis Lords.
Came back to the game last week or so, and actually got into the groove and beat all those bosses and then some.

That said, I'm currently in the White Palace, and... Why? I looked up a video to see how ridiculous it gets, and gently caress doing any of that.
Just gonna go and find the last dreamer instead.

Oh yeah, everything with the grubs, from the Tower of Love to, the Metamorphosis, is super hosed up.
The mimics were a neat though.

It can be made into a total joke once you get the Shade Cloak though.

For what it's worth, I dunno what video you watched about White Palace, but a lot of it is entirely optional, and smaller bits of it can be skipped. I understand that it's maybe not satisfying for everyone, but there are several bosses that took me longer to beat than White Palace, with the benefit that WP actually keeps staying fresh by offering you new obstacles, while fighting the same boss for three hours is less so.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I think Joni's Blessing should be removed, lifeblood stacking trivializes a lot of bosses. I beat all the dream bosses with some combination of Jonis/Heart/Core.

For what it's worth, that's how I feel about how strong nail damage upgrades can be. And I think a lot more people feel that way about Quick Slash (though not for all bosses, since a lot of them will move/blink away). If you're actively trying to make the game easy, it lets you.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I disagree with your perspective although its cool and good for people to have different opinions especially about trivial things like video games. I think games shouldn't include a way to make them easier, but rather should challenge the player to try harder making final victory much more rewarding.

I also don't want to act like I'm getting too wound up over something as inconsequential as ~video game difficulty balance~, but I think that, at its core, the thing you are suggesting is a tad condescending. People, arguably, should be able decide for themselves what is an appropriate level of difficulty to them. The majority of people, specifically because they do play video games for an entertaining challenge, will avoid making a game too easy. There will be people out there for whom an easier Hollow Knight will be as challenging, and as rewarding to beat, as vanilla Hollow Knight is to us, and it is fairly likely that that "rewarding final victory" that you refer to will either never come, or will be made bitter because of how frustrating the journey was.

I would like to direct you, in case you haven't gotten yourself, to the very recent platformer Celeste. Besides being really good and having an insanely good soundtrack, it also offers "Assist mode" which allows the player to give themselves a variety of gameplay advantages, up to and including outright invincibility. The devs also very explicitly and intentionally even award exactly the same achievements regardless of whether and how you use Assist mode (cue random dudes on steam forums being very angry because this "makes those achievements meaningless").

Admittedly, Celeste is a game where that choice is very thematic, for slightly spoiler-y reasons. On the other hand of the spectrum you have Getting Over It, where one might argue that the game is explicitly designed to induce a certain kind of frustration, and in that very specific context, the experience might be ruined by offering easy mode as an "escape valve" to prevent the frustration. For reasons akin to this, I do believe that offering outright invincibility in Hollow Knight *might* (I'm not sure) be pushing it maybe a bit too far, but I don't see how that would take away from my (and, presumably, your) experience of the game.

I would like to conclude by emphasizing that, if it came across this way, I really don't mean to be contrarian or aggressive in this post. I don't think you're arguing in bad faith, or that you're dumb to believe what you do, I just happen disagree on a rather fundamental level (which is okay).

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Hmm, let's look that up. Oh, that looks annoying but doable, maybe I'll go ba-
gets to the sawblade pogo-sticking sections
:stonk:

Thing is, if you just got to the pogo sections, you're still missing out on the best bit. The single very final room took about half of all the time I spend on PoP (and no, I didn't die to... those things).

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I extracted the music from that place (well, technically from climbing the abyss) from the game because it's so incredible and not on the soundtrack for some bizarre reason, but even listening to it without the sawblades I can still hear them :ghost:

That was actually my biggest issue with PoP. That track is indeed loving fantastic, and it hit hard when it showed up in the other place. But listening to it for 2 hours straight while doing hard platforming around dozens of saws was rather dissonant.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Hope you white palace likers are playing Celeste

To my personal friends, I declared Hollow Knight my GOTY 2017 something like 2 days after release (24 february), and it has stayed that way (though Prey came close). I'm fairly close to saying the same about Celeste.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
If you aren't doing that fight in a single extended pogo-jump you're doing it wrong.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Then this is what you need:

Arrhythmia posted:

Spoilers for what to do next with what you have to get closer to the final ending:

There's a new path at the bottom of the Abyss.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
As long as they leave my bae the Primal Aspid untouched, we cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I don't think team cherry would do something so anti-speedrun. That's an important trick.