Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Finally managed to beat NKG. The only thing left for me to do is Pantheon of Hollownest. Between NKG, Pure Vessel, and Absolute Radiance, though, I'm not sure I can manage it. I'm not liking the looks of Uumuu or Markoth in that pantheon, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Uumuu tends to give me a lot of trouble for some reason. It's the trailing lightning; I know I have to keep moving forward, but pretty often I end up either jumping/dropping off a platform into the pit or trying to double back when I run out of space and eat a hit that way. Add in the need to smack one of those jellyfish enemies into the boss and it just gives me fits. And sure enough, my first attempt at the Pantheon ended at the fight with the flying Nosk, which I entered with five health left after having a bad go with Uumuu. I was doing just fine right up until then.

As for my NKG strategy, I found it helped me to hang out near the sides of the arena facing in; it made it easier for me to read his attacks. If he spawns on the ground near me, it's the dashing swipe. On the ground far away, it's the four bats. If he spawns in the air near me, it's the jump kick/dash combo. In the air far from me, it's the fire pillars. The balloon attack and ground spikes are obvious when he does those and are about as easy to deal with as in the regular Grimm fight. My charm setup was Mark of Pride, Unbreakable Strength, and Quick Focus. It definitely wasn't perfect, but the strategy helped after a dozen or so attempts lasting less than thirty seconds. The hardest part was finding time to heal; even with Quick Focus, it was tough.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 21, 2023

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

It's just a matter of practice.

Find the bosses that give you trouble and just run them for half an hour a day or however long you maintain your interest.

You'll get used to them faster than you expect.

QuarkJets posted:

At one point I was struggling with the final pantheon and decided to change things up instead: I worked on clearing every boss on the Radiant difficulty (e.g. no hits). This is very good practice, the fights are all relatively short so you're giving yourself the opportunity to learn through reinforcement all of the little details that are tripping you up. For instance Zote was giving me problems with his really sporadic movement but I was able to figure out techniques for dealing with that better, Markoth is noted for being a huge pain in the rear end but I was able to figure out that you can blitz through his second phase pretty fast with spells if you're positioned right. Building up all of these little details made the final pantheon run pretty straightforward, it's an endurance test but being able to get through most of the fights without getting hit makes a huge difference

I've been doing both of these things a bit along the way, and I've made some progress since I last posted:

I did manage to get Uumuu without damage, but I'm still not that great at it. Better, at least; I've gotten better at dodging its attacks. I really want to get better at Nosk, ironically I think the flying version may be easier to deal with than the normal one. And Markoth, well, I can't beat him on Ascended difficulty yet, but I can pretty consistently get him to his second phase without taking many hits. After that, though, the whole fight always go to hell.

Also after having beaten both a few times, I think NKG may actually be easier for me than Pure Vessel. At any rate, I'm still not great at them and want to feel more comfortable taking them on.

I was pretty satisfied beating the Sisters of Battle on Radiant. It took a lot of tries, and mostly longer ones too. As far as other stuff goes: I was surprised at how much doing the trials improved my performance against the Watcher Knights and Failed Champion in particular. Both used to give me a lot of problems, now they're speed bumps which give me a good chance to refill my soul gauge. I'm also pretty comfortable against Soul Tyrant, though I don't think I can beat him without taking a hit. Zote is always a messy, unpredictable fight whether I do well or not. I feel like I should be able to do better against the nail sages given how predictable they are. And other than Markoth, most of the dream warriors are generally no problem.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

drat, I’m getting a lot farther along this much faster than the last time I tried. Must be gittin somewhat gud. I’m almost at the part that broke me the last time. It’s the final section before you drop down and fight those knights.

It's that last little bit where you have to dash under the thorns, isn't it? Gets me every time.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Good News! You get to go through Zote again in the final pantheon! And he's even tougher!

Seriously, the final pantheon is tough to get through. I still haven't beaten it, most of my attempts end at either Markoth or Zote. At least the devs were merciful and put Failed Champion right after Zote as a breather/chance to get your health and soul back for NKG.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

Cornifer comes through with a complete map. Way to raise the bar again, Team Cherry.

On the subject of maps, is there a way to get Cornifer's map of the Resting Grounds directly from him rather than having to buy it from the shop? I've never seen him in the area, just the note he leaves behind. It seems like there should be some way to encounter him there, but I can't figure one out.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I recently picked up a physical copy of Hollow Knight for my Switch. I have it on Steam already, but couldn't resist having a physical copy, with instruction booklet and map, which seem to be unthinkable luxury pack-ins for most companies' games these days.

And I don't know if it's just a problem I'm having with the different controller or what, but I'm nowhere near as good at this as I am when playing on my PC. Everything seems a little off, somehow. It's the same game and all, but there seems to be little things throwing me off here and there. The knight seems to jump slightly differently, slightly higher and more floaty. Enemy behaviors and timings seem a little different, especially flying enemies. It's giving me fits. I died three goddamn times trying to get the Howling Wraiths ability, just as an example of how much it's screwing with me. I've beaten the game with 112% in Steel Soul mode, I shouldn't be dying repeatedly to a few mosquitoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Funny thing is, I wasn't playing it docked; I typically play it handheld, since a) the OLED screen is better than my TV, b) I frequently travel for work and have a good amount of downtime in the evenings. So whatever problems I'm having with the Switch version, it's not related to playing the game while the system is docked. Unless the lag also occurs when playing handheld.