Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I picked the game up recently and played it to 106% completion, it's good.

It's been interesting comparing my experience with the thread. I constantly felt that spells were usually too much of a pain to execute and that Joni's (and Hiveblood) were a net negative in boss fights. The White Palace was hyped up a lot but 99% of it was no problem and pretty enjoyable. I'm definitely glad I had infinite life for the two spots that gave me trouble, but overall it was pretty tame. I managed to completely miss the entrance to the Path of Pain though, so maybe that will show me up.
As for difficult bosses, I found true final boss to be much easier than expected. It only took me 4 attempts (2 deaths on the first stage, 1 on the second) and I just beat her up with Mark of Pride. The prelude was much more of a pain in the rear end. It was easy enough to brute force and heal through, but every time I'd take like 12 masks of damage. Part of that was just trying to get through it as fast as possible but he felt far more aggressive than the final boss, who had much more obvious attack patterns. Once I understood all of them it was really easy to dodge most of it. I had far more trouble with the Watcher Knights and the Traitor Lord. Those, and the wall jumping only section of the Fools Trial were the hardest fights. The crystal miner boss was a complete joke and I don't know how people had trouble with him. I don't think he hit me a single time on the second encounter.

If I had to find a fault with the game it'd be the visual noise in some fights and especially when you get hit. Lost Kin having an orange background for his orange balloons to blend into was annoying, and it was even worse for The Radiance's homing projectiles, which were really hard to spot against the glowing background when spawning in. Taking damage is the worst though, especially when you're getting swarmed and the screen quickly becomes a mess. Combined with the knockback it's really easy to lose track of things and take a bunch of extra hits.
The biggest crime though is that you go through this giant spider lair to track down 'Herrah the Beast', encounter this giant collection of spider houses, get trapped in the Beasts den, and at no point do you ever fight a Giant Spider Boss. I was so disappointed.

The best boss was Nightmare King Grimm and I hope the future mode lets you replay bosses so I can do nothing but fight him all day. Once I got his patterns down he wasn't even particularly hard but the speed and presentation of his fight is fantastic, everything about it is good.

In conclusion, a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

He got nerfed in the most recent update.

The only thing I could find said that the first fight version is slightly slower when using his hand beam, and looking at past videos suggests the second fight has always been this slow and predictable.

It's not like I'm a great player, I died to a bunch of bosses the first time, but Crystal Guardian is a baby.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

In order they are sparing the nailsmith, the second ending against Hollow Knight, Mr Mushroom, and banishing the Grimm Troupe.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

If you beat Radiance in 4 tries I think you're above average. Pre-nerf Crystal Guardian II was up there with Watcher Knights imo if you faced him early in the game
You just stand in front of him and attack. When he attacks, you jump straight up then resume attacking. You don't even need to double jump, but you can if you want complete overkill. Sometimes, to make things super complicated, you have to walk a little to the side, but probably not. Luckily he gives you like 2 seconds of warning before it even starts happening which in an action game is a small eternity. There are regular enemies who are more difficult to fight.

Radiance is a separate matter, she's mostly just a platforming challenge. If you can beat White Palace you should be able to beat Radiance. Sawblades > Moths.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Dancer posted:

But I've done those first 3 things already ugh why is this happening. Le sigh...
Pretty sure two of those only count when You find the nailsmith after he leaves and you win the game after finding Mr Mushroom for the last time. If that's not the issue then tough break I guess.

quote:

And, like, I'm not you, but I'm a person who can clear WP (non-PoP) in 10 minutes, and I'm still only at about 50% win chance against laser dude with less than max level gear (which is funnily about the same winrate as Radiance, though I guess that's because I've fought her way more). The way he jumps, with his gravity being like 3 times stronger than yours, means that I keep charging into his body, and I also keep flying into ceiling lasers when I try to dodge his direct laser. The flow of that fight just feels so very unnatural to me. I imagine a lot of other people have the same issue.
After looking at some old videos (I still can't see what if anything about him got nerfed) the biggest mistake I saw people make is they keep trying to move sideways constantly. You barely need to do any of that. You can trundle after him once he's already mid jump, you don't need to move sideways at all to dodge the direct laser, and if you need to dodge a ceiling laser (you usually don't) you only need to move a fraction over. Running around just makes things harder on yourself and dashing is complete overkill. I'm doing a run with no nail upgrades and I still chumped him first try both times.

Unlike Soul Tyrant who murdered me several times in his second stage.

e: Also playing with the old nail really makes you appreciate how busted nail upgrades are and how good spells are.

Darox fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 2, 2018

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The thing about Soul Tyrant that got me is after he dives down into the second room and only uses two attacks. Trying to fight that immediately after Soul Master with the starting nail, 6 masks, no shadow dash, and basically no charms I kept dying to attrition before I could finish him off.
Then I went back after getting the upgraded spells and wrecked him.

The actual fight against Soul Tyrant is pretty enjoyable and totally reasonable to fight aggressively with only the basic kit, but it did take forever and dying to the end stage multiple times was pretty disheartening.

No Wave posted:

Its like... not even a boss. False knight is 10x more difficult. Its much easier than everything, idk why.
Do you count the giant vengefly eating Zote as a boss as well? They're both more like minibosses. You can even refight both of them in the arena.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I found and beat the path of pain, and all I can say is ow gently caress my fingers.

It was good and I could feel myself getting better at it as I progressed, even though it was pretty frustrating at points. I breezed through the rest of White Palace this time as well.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Just go with whatever control scheme feels best. Personally I think playing any platformer with joysticks when you have fixed left-right movement is the height of folly and that a keyboard is far superior, especially when you have 4-way directional attacks that use the same inputs as movement, but not everyone agrees.

There's a sign a short way into the city of tears pointing out the path to the weapon upgrader. It looks like a nail and stands out from all the other signs, so it's pretty easy to find.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Hot secret for the Mantis Lords fight: Whenever you're facing one lord, you can easily heal by climbing up one side of the arena. The mantis will follow you to use their wallgrab boomerang attack at your level, which gives you plenty of time to drop back down to the floor and heal safely.

e: Also when fighting two mantis lords and they do the boomerang attacks, the >< variation (as opposed to the <> one that you have to jump) has a blind spot where you can stand in the very center and heal.

Darox fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 18, 2018

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Mymla posted:

Tbh the only thing I'd kinda recommend to someone playing for the first time would be to get the dream nail pretty early on, maybe after the boss in greenpath if it's possible at that time?
Even that probably doesn't matter too much in the long run, it's just nice to be able to have another fast travel option.

You can actually get the dream nail extremely early, the only boss you need to beat is the Gruz mother in order to reach Sly, and collect 1800 geo to buy his lamp. This means you can use it in the false knight and first hornet fights.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Something that took me a while to realize is that you can do the dive while standing on the ground (the knight hops up a short way and immediately slams back down) and that it has a huge number of invincibility frames. You're invulnerable for all but the very start of dive and for a long time after the impact.

It also does a lot of damage, descending dark wrecks enemies.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

There is a very obvious gateway to the ending that you can turn back from, and even if you do go through and beat the final boss you can go back to your save and it'll put you back at the threshold right before the fight.

The only thing you can miss this way is one minor variation of the ending sequence if you unlock the final final boss before ever fighting the regular final boss.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You can do them in any order although it's pretty difficult (not impossible!) to reach one of the dreamers without double jump, and it happens after you do the first one, whichever it is.

The only thing you need to fight the broken vessel is the crystal dash and its prerequisites in order to reach him.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Did you try walking past him? The boss fight doesn't trigger until you get into the room.

He becomes infested as part of a scene introducing the fight, you'll know it has started when orange blobs pour in from everywhere

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If you hit an enemy with it you get a decent chunk of soul. You get even more if you have the charm equipped. It's pretty impractical to do without the charm but it has its uses.

It's actually really good for cheesing the dream version of the False Knight. With the flukewurm charm and other spell upgrades you can reliably knock him down with a full volley of flukes, then dream nail his head a couple times to restore all your soul before smacking his face, letting you repeat it again once he gets up.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Missing from this screenshot is an important item that is required for meeting any of the dreamers. You definitely do not need to do them first.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I hope you're prepared for the hardest and least fun platforming segment in the game.

The no-floor section of the Trial of Fools

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I think the singer is the only ghost I didn't devour, because she added some nice ambience to her area.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I only ever used it in the white palace and even then I didn't wait around for it, it just meant I could go longer without having to stop and recover for free with grubsong & deep focus.

It takes way too long for masks to regenerate and costs too many slots to be actually useful anywhere else.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The upgraded form also has a much bigger area, so you can hit enemies from a lot further away than with your nail.

Unlike the dive the only non-combat utility it has is unlocking its own upgrade.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The statues in PoP are infinite as well, you can always get more soul from them.

Also grubsong (from saving enough grubs) and deep focus (hidden in crystal peak) in combination give you effectively infinite healing even without the statues.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

3000 geo isn't that absurd tbh

There's no indication of how much it expects though. When I first reached it I assumed it would give me something but I also didn't trust it to not just eat all the excess, so I didn't want to throw in my 14k geo.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I actually forgot that there's no map for the white palace because it really doesn't matter. It's almost entirely linear and only branches out in a couple simple paths that loop back to their origin, and once you do them once there's no reason to go back and it even blocks off half of them for you. Once you reach the end it even teleports you back to the entrance. Unless you're trying to find the path of pain there's basically no way to lose your bearings.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The watcher knights were the hardest fight on my first playthrough, but on my second run I knew how good descending dark was and it obliterates them. Just stand one WK-length away from a wall and slam the ground. You can get both of them to roll through while you're invincible and stop at the wall right next to you, and since spell damage ignores blocking they take a huge amount of damage.

Fighting them normally with two independent bouncing rolling assholes is a mess.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Every time you jump over an enemy you should downslash. No matter what enemy they are, or if you're even in range. Downslash downslash downslash. Worst case they just block it and you get extra height on your jump. Successfully downslashing also resets your dash/doublejump, it's so good.
It also lets you bounce off any non-organic obstacles like spikes and saws. Using downslashes the first charm you can reach is fury of the fallen, and you can fight the brooding mawlek as your first boss.

Also my first time through I didn't find the giant moss bush until the very very endgame after I was fully maxed out and the fight lasted 5 seconds. He got halfway through one attack.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'm real glad for the ancient basin station considering how out of the way it otherwise is and how you have to visit the place for like 5 separate things that all have different requirements. When you combine it with the tram it's also a nice way to reach the hive and the right side of deepnest.
If you do have all the relevant movement abilities and the stations unlocked it shouldn't be that long to go from anywhere to anywhere, with the exception of things you might miss in the middle of deepnest. Aside from Nosk and Sharpshadow (which are pretty close to the tram station) I think you can reach everything with just the dash and walljump though so you're not forced to backtrack.

Being able to warp between benches would be a real bummer, and would make the initial arrivals in deepnest and the city of tears a lot less interesting. Replacing the stag stations like that would also remove the neat bonus of the 'secret' station that you get once you unlock all the others.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

He's still the easiest fight in the game.

Stand next to him and attack. When he lifts his arm for the laser stop attacking, jump straight upwards, then resume attacking. When he dances keep attacking but watch the area. In the unlikely scenario that a ceiling laser spawns near you stop attacking, walk to the side, then return and resume attacking. After he jumps walk after him and resume attacking. You never need to dash, walljump or double jump and barely even need to move at all.

Seriously, there are regular enemies who are more dangerous than that mini-boss, even in his second form.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If you do a full jump the timing is actually pretty lenient even if it seems close, but if you are scared that you can't pull it off you can just dash over his head or doublejump to be 200% safe.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Half the time I jump he fires another laser before I hit the ground. And there are absolutely no tells as to whether he’s going to nail me or jump away or jump over me when he jumps. I theoretically know what to do but his insane damage and amount of heath makes him feel loving impossible. I’ve fought him like 100 times and I don’t even feel like I much better at him than the first time I walked in there because he is so unpredictable and avoiding his attacks has about a 1/4 second window.

The first one isn't possible unless you're jumping way too much. If you do a full height doublejump of course he's going to have time to shoot again, but even that shouldn't be a problem because his second shot should be pointed way off into the ceiling. Don't jump when he does his dance & roar, don't jump when he jumps, just do a single full jump when he lifts his arm. If you're worried about not getting enough air to clear the laser you can tap the button again to do a tiny doublejump to stall for a second, but don't do a full doublejump.

The way you deal with his jumping is the same as for the lost kin, you just stand next to him and don't panic. If you're sitting right next to him he'll basically never jump on you, but if he somehow does jump towards you and it looks shallow enough to hit you, you can simply dash forward and be totally safe.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The trick to Nightmare King Grimm is realizing that his flame pillar attack is actually an open invitation to heal multiple times with shape of unn.

Sharp Shadow, Deep Focus, Shape of Unn & Grubsong are my standard charm set for fighting Grimm.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

1: Hit a nearby lever
2: Hit them
3: Hit them from the other side
4: Drive a tram through them
5: You don't

Select one depending on which metal bug shell door you are talking about.

e: ^^ Both forms of the crystal guardian are easy and I chumped him with an unupgraded nail and no special charms or combat abilities. He doesn't really change much between forms, he just does double damage (but is still no better at hitting you).

Darox fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 30, 2018

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

There's a little spot just above the stag station, that's where you need to take it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's actually NK Grimm, but Hornet is a good one.

If you haven't done the Grimm Troupe yet (It's easy to miss) you definitely should. It has some nice rewards and the aforementioned best boss. This goes for everyone who hasn't seen it.
You start it in the Howling Cliffs, behind a breakable wall around the side where Cornifer was. You'll know you've done it when you light a giant torch and Dirtmouth suddenly doubles in population

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The real tragedy is that you can't go back to dash across the room and watch all the grubs greet you in a wave.

veni veni veni posted:

ohhh, poo poo. I thought he was optional.

The Traitor Lord is endgame stuff, and the only thing you get for beating him is 1/3 of the charm needed for the true ending.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's really weird because I would honestly rank him below the big city guard enemies. I have to assume it's down to people running around and making things harder on themselves instead of just hitting him.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

No Wave posted:

people who have trouble with bosses you didn't have trouble with aren't morons. Bosses in these games tend to punish different playstyles differently. It shouldn't be confusing that people approach bosses differently and are punished by different things...
I didn't call anyone stupid.
People can have different experiences (l find Hollow Knight to be a more stressful fight than Radiance) but there's a pretty big gulf between 'one of the hardest bosses in the game' and 'easiest boss in the game, easier than several regular enemies'. Doing things the wrong way can make them harder (Stalking Devouts!) but its weird how big the gap is for the Crystal Guardian.

And yes I am including Gruz Mother, I'm more likely to be hit by her than Crystal Guardian 2.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

Also unless they fixed it I'm pretty sure the right most part of the room is safe from almost all of his attacks cept one or two of them

He only has two attacks total so I'm not sure that it would help much. The place to stand is directly in front of him one nail-length away so you can hurt him. He never blocks, counterattacks or moves suddenly and all his attacks are telegraphed so staying next to him is perfectly safe, plus his attacks are room-length lasers with no travel time so there's no reason to move away anyway.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The trick to cheesing the failed champion with flukes is using the dream nail (and dream nail charm) to recover all your soul between rounds by nailing his dumb face. The flailing attack he does whenever he recovers lasts long enough for you to knock him down again with a full volley of flukes, so after you get him down once you can just trap him in a loop.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Other way around, placing the gate is free but warping costs 1.

The cost is so low that it's completely irrelevant anyway even if you do make extensive use of dream gates, and like someone mentioned using dream gate doubles your chances of randomly finding 1 essence when killing any enemy so the cost doesn't matter twice over.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

So how much will I hate my own life if I try to do a run with no nail upgrades,
I did this and it was pretty fun. You actually have to learn some enemies patterns instead of just rushing them down. Certain Dream Bosses are a slog but if you're using spells you can speed things up a lot.

I parked that save file just outside Radiance with NKG alive so that I can make a copy and fight either of them with 0 nail upgrades whenever I want, it's great.

quote:

no black spells
It'll suck extra hard for the tough dream boss fights and things like Watcher Knights but it's still mostly fine as long as you have white spells.

quote:

and no hp/soul upgrades?
That could get a little frustrating in those boss fights where you don't have any windows for healing. For regular fights it just puts extra pressure on getting good.

As long as you don't do the Trial of Fools it shouldn't be too bad imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I don't like GPZ once he starts doing 4+ masks of damage but the rest of them are great.

The lead up to some of them isn't bad either after you do it once and realize you can get there from the start with like one jump plus a dash.