Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Alright, I'm totally lost right now. if someone could point me in the right direction, it'd be appreciated:
I got the super dash from the mines and I went and cleared Herrah in the deepnest, though I did not fully explore the area yet. I feel like there is clearly some upgrade that extends your jump slightly and one that lets you survive the hot water, judging from obstacles i've seen, but I have yet to locate either and unless one of them is in one of the parts of the deepnest I have yet to explore, I'm stumped. Also, is there anything that can be done with the midwife aside from talking to it a few times before it starts repeating dialogue? What was with the weaver den building? I couldn't find anything to do there and I feel like I missed something, I doubt it exists just for the rancid egg I found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

guppy posted:

As far as I know the Midwife won't do anything except say a bunch of stuff and then eventually try to eat you. You can't kill her, either, she'll just go hide. Similarly, nothing to do in the Weaver's Den. Supposedly Hornet is being added as a playable character down the road, and the theory is that these places might be more relevant then.

There's definitely a double jump but I would expect you to have that already by the time you're in Deepnest. If not, it's in the Ancient Basin, I believe.

There is an upgrade that should be accessible to you now for surviving the acid water. It's in Isma's Grove, which you can access from Royal Waterways now that you have the dash -- remember that place in the descent to the Ancient Basin with the broken elevator, where there's a spiky path with doors on each side that you can't get to from the main shaft there? You can boost across it from the sides. It's also possible to time the dash cancel to fall back down the main shaft without dying, but it's tricky and there's not an easy re-entry -- just useful if you're in the wrong place and want to get there fast.

Aha, I had not figured either of those locations as progress critical, got both upgrades. Thanks!

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

I'm nearing the endgame now, and I just want to say how much I love this game's music. Also that I wish I was better at fighting will wall grabbing The third arena fight is kicking my rear end at the part where it forces you to wall grab to avoid the ground spikes

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Charge Slash is extremely useful and will kill the small fliers in one hit if you've fully upgraded the nail. Do use Nailmaster's Glory if you aren't already.

Just found that actually, seems super useful. Can't say I expected to get it where I did though.

I'm at 92% completion now and it just astounds me that this thread is so small. I am completely enthralled by this game.

I just encountered something that I'm pretty sure has no reason to exist aside from being interesting/amusing:
Wyrm pulls bugs into its thrall,
ages pass and kingdoms fall,
caps and shells may go to dust,
but Mr. Mushroom readjusts.

I may have butchered that somewhat.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Ok, I feel real dumb here, but where the heck does "a place of birth" refer to?

beat the white palace, got the king soul charm, but I have no idea where to go with the drat thing. I thought maybe that door in the abyss, the one with the blue stone on a dais? But it isn't doing anything for me and I'm out of ideas

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Knorth posted:

Try heading down from that door, to the ground floor, with the charm equipped

Well, that certainly was something! Geez, is there anything else I need to do now? Cause the game didn't dispense any more hints...

Also, I'm missing 3 charms, the ones to the right of Baldur Shell, Lifeblood Heart, and Sharp Shadow respectively.

Flubby posted:

Ok, what you need to do is transform the Kingsoul. That blue thing you found is unrelated. You can open that door by having like, 15 of the blue life points by equipping certain charms and getting to it without getting hit. As for the Kingsoul, that is also in the Abyss. Deep in the abyss there what looks like a large cracked orb. You'll be able to see your reflection in it. You need to hit that with your dream nail. This cracked orb is way down at the bottem and to the right I believe. You'll know your in the right area if you're killing those black souls.

Thanks for the tip on the door, would I be correct in guessing one of my missing charms is behind that thing?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Augus posted:

This game is freaking huge! After getting the key movement abilities I was floored at how many areas opened up, as I speak I have like 4 different directions I could go in (that are obvious, at least) to explore entirely new areas.

Spoilers for about 12 hours into the game: The tone shift this game goes through is insane. I just got my first of the 3 dreamers, from the southwest corner of the map, and then went back to the first area. This went from a cute bug adventure game to absolutely horrifying stuff.

I'm really glad I picked this one up, it doesn't seem to be getting much attention, which is a shame because it's really great so far!

The story is fascinating because while you can infer a lot of stuff early, it does actually explain everything eventually. What do you make of what you've seen thus far? I'm curious as to your thoughts at this stage in the game.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Augus posted:

Can't say I understand much at this point, lol. I'm never good at piecing things together in these games on my first playthrough. What I do know is that whatever's inside that Black Egg is really, REALLY bad. And the gradual shift towards disgusting, nightmarish creatures in bleak environments as you go further down, along with the surprise when you revisit the forgotten crossroad, is really well-executed.

Also Miner Kid was the best and when he went Hollow it broke my heart into pieces

Yeah, the miner going crazy made me real sad too. If it doesn't make someone sad, they have no soul.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

The third arena fight is at least triple satan. Why is it so long?!!?

I get up to the knight and his mount miniboss and then get wrecked. I'm guessing I should just dodge through the mount charges instead of trying to dodge over since it practically always ends horrible. The knight has a super wonky bullshit hitbox. On a side note, I've actually been finding glowing womb really helpful. Your explodey little spawn actually contribute appreciable chip damage and cost very little soul.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Augus posted:

I'm not the only one having framerate problems, am I? The third coliseum is terrible for me because the frame rate dips every time enemies are being spawned in and the game keeps eating my inputs as a result

I haven't had framerate issues at all and my PC is midrange, I think it might be more of a driver thing or the like unless your specs are really low. What graphics card are you using?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Augus posted:

Got the true ending! 93% in 27 hours. The optional area and final boss were quite tough, but not as nightmarish as people in this thread seemed to be suggesting. The only thing in the game that I felt was ridiculously hard was the third arena challenge, I walked away from that after dying many times to the section where they force you to do like a dozen waves without any platforms to stand on.

It gets worse! There's a miniboss fight after that which has just been completely decimating me. It has so much health and a really weird hitbox on one of them (it's two enemies). I'm sure that's like, only halfway too. The arena fights are way too long.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Knorth posted:

As someone who apparently cannot get out of the way of laser beams, even when I can freaking see them coming, :agreed:

Chard posted:

The second, faster Crystal Beam Guy can gently caress completely off.

You can't be reactive on that one, you just have to predict and jump early.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Oh geez, I must have missed the scene you folks are talking about. Anyone have a link to a clip of it?

Also, something that's bugging me:
Is there any use for Mr. Mushroom or is he just there to dispense a cool poem in the fungal wastes? Likewise, is there any use for the mask maker or is he something likely to come up in the Hornet stuff that may end up happening?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

skasion posted:

I love how for 95% of the game it takes care to properly ground the setting of each level to make sure you're fighting bugs and evading perils thematically appropriate to the type of place that it is, and then you get to where the loving king lived and it's a nightmarish shitstorm of buzz saws and nothingness

Look, the king played a lot of super meat boy and has had nightmares about buzzsaws ever since.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

I think having Hiveblood or not makes a huge impact on your enjoyment of the palace. Well, that and whether you like platformers in general. I had the charm and do like platformers, so I enjoyed the experience.

Everything was fair and 90% of the jumps were deliberate, very little of it required you to be fast, just precise. It helps when you know you have infinite tries thanks to hiveblood. I think not having that pressure helps a lot psychologically.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

George Lazenby posted:

Hey, I'm one of the devs (William). You're right that Nosk turned out to be kinda underwhelming compared to its buildup. It's because when I came up with the idea of the whole lead-in, we were already wayyy beyond scope but I convinced Ari to let me do it by saying we could make the actual boss fight as simple as possible. I'm glad we squeezed that whole thing in, but yeah it makes for a bit of a dip in quality. I think I'm gonna sneak in a new move for ol Nosk in one of these content packs, try to do the poor guy justice.

It's been really great reading everyone's thoughts on the game by the way! :) I constantly lurk SA so I've been following the thread, but thought maybe I shouldn't jump in too much. I'm super happy people are getting into it though!

Got any more interesting anecdotes from the game's development? I always love hearing about this kind of stuff.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

George Lazenby posted:

Hehe, that was me again! Another extremely fun voice to do.

You are a true hero.

It's amazing how consistently fantastic the voice acting is in this game. The way it manages to consistently nail tone is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

George Lazenby posted:

I designed the Colosseum waves though, so if you raged out at the Trial of Fools you can blame me. I actually realised after release that I accidentally put in more enemies than I meant to in the bit with spikes at the bottom where you have to continually wall-jump. People dealt with it though, so oh well!

Curse you! Cuuuurse yooooou!

(If it's any consolation, I enjoyed the White Palace, though I agree that it would've been way more spooky and therefore better if the saws were completely silent)