Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Hollow Knight! It's an exploration and combat focused platformer made by tiny South Australian indie studio, Team Cherry. The art is wonderful, the score is evocative and well, I really loved playing it and thought it deserved more attention. So here we are!

It's about bugs! And exploring deep underground remnants of the long dead kingdom of said bugs.

There are mushrooms too!

This friendly moth watches you while you sleep!

All these things and more are in the very good game, Hollow Knight. On PC (steam and gog) now and coming at an unspecified time later this year to Switch and *podcast voice* PS4~??? (the dev team is like 3 people, give 'em time)

Oh! There's a trailer too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAO2urG23S4

Knorth fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It does get pretty challenging, I thought they did a good job of keeping the more difficult fights optional but it is still very much an action game. There are enough upgrades around that you don't have to be great at the combat to finish it (I'm certainly not great at it myself) but there definitely might be some frustrating parts to work through

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah, you only need to do one of the dream bosses to get up to 1800. I thought the knight would be the easiest but I've heard that certain charm loadouts can make the vessel a pretty simple fight, I think Defender's Crest of all things was meant to be useful for it

Knorth fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 14, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Isn't the music just wonderful! I absolutely adore it too, very tempted to buy the OST

That third trial is actually the devil, good luck with it! I've seen my brother and a nice youtube guy finish it but I don't think I've got it in me to actually do it myself. Those freaking 3-shot flying bugs...

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Try heading down from that door, to the ground floor, with the charm equipped

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yep. Your other two missing charms are in a chamber just 'south' of the bench in the Waterways and in that big acidic lake in Greenpath :)

Knorth fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 26, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Aw I really liked that area. I mean, it was hard and took me awhile to get through but I enjoyed it. More than the arena at least

Are you using a good charm set for healing after taking spike damage?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
If you've got Deep Focus I think it's called (it heals two but takes longer) and that one that gives you soul when you take damage that should give you a bit more endurance

I actually really appreciated the respawn points as very telling that the puzzle was actually the entire sequence not just a single tricky jump at a time, it made me feel strangely close to the designer. OTOH I also found a good charm set pretty early so didn't really have to redo whole sections which I can imagine being a lot more frustrating

Knorth fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 27, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Poor little bug :smith:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah, those are good tips. I'd add that the Fragile Strength charm is somewhat frustrating because the Radiance fight doesn't count as a dream fight so it'll break if you die but it is incredibly useful since you only have to hit her almost half as many times. So once you're comfortable with the attack patterns trying that might help a lot, only be prepared to make the repair trek if you lose :( The (upgraded) Shriek spell also hits multiple times, although it doesn't get Fragile damage, so building around spell damage might be a decent idea to try too

It's funny, you have so many possible charm setups for different styles of attacking but all I ever wanted was a way to stop sucking at dodging laserbeams...

Knorth fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 29, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Sure can

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
lol I love that part. I was so tense by that point, could barely believe it when I actually finished it and the first thing I did after was jump directly into some spikes

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
As someone who apparently cannot get out of the way of laser beams, even when I can freaking see them coming, :agreed:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Try sneaking under it when it jumps

Like, it's not a trick really so it's still gunna be hard but try dashing back and forth underneath it when it does those quick jump swings

Knorth fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 3, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh! I don't think I mentioned in the OP but they are planning some DLC content later in the year(s?) too just fyi. Supposedly a Hornet campaign that might flesh out Deepnest a bit. :toot: I'm looking forward to it

Oh, speaking of did anyone not get the scene with Hornet after you release Herrah the Beast? I got it on my playthrough but a nice youtube guy I watch didn't see it so I'm not sure what order of things triggers it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah, you're probably right. Bummer for him I guess but I'm glad other people aren't likely to miss it somehow, it was a neat little character moment

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh no :( I hope people stumble across it Hornets hints are always so cryptic, I can definitely see why people wouldn't connect her ashy grave comment with Kingdoms Edge especially with the entrance being pretty hidden compared to Deepnest

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Nothing beyond 'in 2017' yet I'm afraid

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Mindblast posted:

It's been a litle while since I played, so I''m trying to retrace him I went through the game and might be off, but if it is true that the scene at Herrah will not play until you beat the second Hornet fight, that is an oversight imo. The way you go through the game makes you far more likely to encounter deepnest before you encounter Kingdoms Edge. Actually, can you even get into Kingdoms Edge without coming into contact with that zone? Any seasoned metroidvania player will usually not move out of a new zone until they're sure that they can not progress further in said zone.
I made an exception for Deepnest because A) I didn't want to go there. I just happened upon the place while I was exploring something else. B) I was saving the dreamers until I had nothing else left to do C) when I noticed Deepnests' traits I went "yeah no gently caress this poo poo we're saving this for last". Not even because of some phobia. I just don't dig(:v::v:) the tunnel-esque style.

So, there's no real reason you'd need to touch Deepnest before KE, there's that trap where you fall through into Deepnest(which incidentally is where I basically had your C reaction to it) and the door after you beat the Mantis Lords but neither of those are really on your way. Hornet does tell you to go to Kingdoms Edge when you meet in front of the Hollow Knight statue but it's cryptic enough that you probably won't realise that until you learn things about KE and the entrance to Kingdoms Edge is really hidden compared to the giant Deepnest door. As much as I love Hornet's absolute refusal to give you clear direction, I don't think both of those things work well together here. I hope it's something that they'll just tweak in a patch 'cause I love how open it is in general and it's just a bit of a bummer that people will miss out because of that.

Oh, one other thing that might not be clear to people, that green pipe/switch in the Waterways is to remove acid from the entrance of Isma's Grove. It's in a weird place since there's practically no way you'd see the flooded entrance /before/ encountering the Defender and while he did put a sign up, it's not super helpful

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Obligatum VII posted:

Oh geez, I must have missed the scene you folks are talking about. Anyone have a link to a clip of it?

Also, something that's bugging me:
Is there any use for Mr. Mushroom or is he just there to dispense a cool poem in the fungal wastes? Likewise, is there any use for the mask maker or is he something likely to come up in the Hornet stuff that may end up happening?

Apparently all the youtube people missed it too lol, I found this though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avqWD5Aaj34&t=94s It's a small thing but I thought it was neat

I'm pretty sure the devs said in some stream that Mask guy and the other mysterious Deepnest things are going to be dlc stuff. I've heard there is something more to Mushroom guy, I haven't done it though so I don't know the details but I think that he's meant to pop up in a few different places?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Try the building to the left of the statue, there should be a sign but there's no doorway entrance like other shops I think. You just kinda wander in from the side

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

*the voice work being goofy as hell also made me wary. I guess its intentional to a degree but some of the bugs sound really stupid and annoying which doesn't mesh well with the tone to me. That might be a personal problem though.

This is unacceptable :colbert: :cheeky:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Isn't there an entrance in Fog Canyon somewhere?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Because it was awesome.

I kinda don't get calling it poorly designed, it was incredibly tight and acted as the perfect counter-part to the arena. One being about pushing the combat to it's limit and the other about the platforming. They'd teased you with moments of tricky platforming throughout the whole thing and this was the culmination of that

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

gently caress the White Palace. That was some mario romhack level bullshit. The trial of fools is manageable to a point. It's hard but it's combat and you actually have a say in it aside from "oh touched the edge of the spikes and spawned at the bottom of the room again, gently caress." That area actively soured me a bit on the rest of the game because it's like they completely forgot about basic loving level design principles and just tossed poo poo together like a third rate level designer.

Completely disagree with this, absolutely do not feel more in control during combat than when you're figuring out how to jump through the spikes properly.

Knorth fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 9, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

plot critical is a weird synonym for "optional bonus super-hard area for completionists of an already difficult game"

this, also lol at equating some platforms in the arena with the actual platforming challenge tower

It's weird that people are so ready to tear the White Palace apart with these pretty nit-picky arguments just because they found the combat trials in the game more natural

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Augus posted:

the fun one is White Palace and the not-fun one is the Coliseum :smug:

I mean, yeah, personally I had a lot more fun with the palace then trying to get that 2nd trial reward, to say nothing of the actual Fool trial

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Those watercolours are really pretty

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I think it's like 2400, apparently you get a neat little scene with the moth for getting all of it

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Huh maybe it's 2600 then I dunno

Try visiting the moth again now, there might just be more than you /need/ for her story

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Moth is gone forever after you get 2400. There's no reason to get more after seeing that scene but I felt compelled to eat every ghost because it made my number bigger. After that speech the warrior moth gives I was honestly expecting the game to call me out on it. Its not like eating ghosts even provides a notable amount of focus. I think they all give only 1 each.

Oh you already got the scene, ok

Yeah I was a little disappointed when I heard that she doesn't actually fight you for doing that :(

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
You should be able to get back up that busted up elevator shaft back into City of Tears. There's nothing you need to get to be able to do that, it's just a bit tricky

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The corpse outside is one of the five great Knights, the White Lady mentions her to you but apparently thinks she's still alive. No reason the White Lady can't be both the Queen and the ancient mold thing that Unn warns about. It's not like the King is a normal bug either and she lets on that she knew of his history as the Wyrm

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The devs seem pretty pleased with how it's doing so far at least but yeah, it's a shame to not see it get picked up any of the bigger sites

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Eopia posted:

So I know it was just stated that you can't mess things up so you can't do (x) but does that include things like NPC storylines? If this is as inspired by souls as I've been lead to believe those should be a thing right?

Not really, the only ones I can think of are if you leave Zote in that bug's mouth he obviously doesn't show up later ('cause you left him to die... you monster...) and if you don't meet Hornet in Kingdoms Edge before doing one of the Dreamers you miss out on a small character scene but her overall quest is still the same.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah, there's that one and one more.

The final fate of the nailsmith has two outcomes

Sack Bug is either in her house or on the bench after you rescue her. She can also end up sitting outside her house too.

Ah yeah, there's that one too

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Wait, really?

I'll have to try that when I eventually do another playthrough

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Just get the hiveblood charm before doing it. It sucks but it sucks a lot less when you effectively have infinite tries. Its not worth trying to do it "legit".

What do you mean legit? You've got charms to help you, that's what they're there for. Doing a boss fight without any charms equipped is not somehow more legitimate than using the actual game mechanics, and neither would this.

As for charm tips, I found Grubsong and Deepfocus, maybe also with that one that makes spells cost less, to be really helpful

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Doesn't the moth say that the bugs of what would be Hallownest revered Radiance before the Wyrm built it's civilisation and that's part of why Radiance is so pissed, so to speak.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I wonder if they're actually seeing anything or if they've just been entranced and are just 'seeing' the Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's a Chozo

No idea, some sort of ancient Void-bug maybe?

Here's some neat stuff Team Cherry released the other day
https://twitter.com/TeamCherryGames/status/870442271807688704

Dunno if I'll get anything but those shirt designs are pretty nice and plush knight is very cute