Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i started playing this and it's really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i finished playing this and it was really good. my only complaint is that i don't think the dark souls stuff improved the game at all. didn't even realize benches respawned enemies until i was carrying a flower from one end of the world to the other. otherwise it was stellar and all of the true ending stuff was really cool.

oh game ran really smoothly except i guess 4gb of ram is just baaaarely enough because it would pretty frequently hitch hard loading sound effects and transitioning between areas. made some parts trickier than they needed to be, like the last arena because it had a ton of different enemies.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 21, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

There's an ingame plot explanation for the White Palace, including the traps. It fits quite well with everything else.

i'm thinking the king took the whole palace and hid it in a dream and stuffed it with traps because he was that desperate to keep the infection away from him. the guy who buys relics talks about the place just disappearing at some point. :shrug:

anyway i think i mostly understand the story but i have one question: how did the character you play as wind up on the surface before the game started?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

This is something I'd like an answer for as well. I have an answer for most big questions I had about the game but your starting position doesn't seem to make much sense.

actually i was rewatching the scene when the dreamers show up and throw you into a dream world and they made it sound like your character crawled out of the abyss however long ago and just left the kingdom entirely. then i guess enough time passed for the kingdom to fall apart before they returned, drawn by the seal weakening but having forgotten everything like Quirrel.

here's a video https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FIIQaks_hHo8%3Ft%3D102

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i mean it takes like 2 minutes to climb out, maybe the king didn't shut the door right away :shobon:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh maybe. there's a lot of rumbling but you don't actually see it close. i dunno

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I figured Zote was related, just an unusually colorful failed attempt. There's another one impaled in the room where you first fight Hornet holding the dash item. Kind of seems like a ton of them leaked out.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

and the king

SirSamVimes posted:

Zote's Precepts refer to him having parents (who he hates, like everything else) so he's not another failed attempt.

i was thinking they might vaguely refer to the king and queen. the queen's involvement in things is pretty unclear but she does say that she hid herself away as penance for something related to uh, breeding?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

well if your mother gave birth to you and then booted you into a pit that's a pretty harsh betrayal. :shrug: but yeah i dunno about the brother thing

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The kingsoul's description is "holy charm symbolising a union between higher beings" and the king says the hollow knight is "born of god and void".

hornet refers to the hollow knight in the egg as "our sibling" and the achievement for messing up the fight and trapping her in there with you does too.

hornet's explicitly the child of the king and herrah and yeah I think the hollow knights are children of the king and the white lady. So she's a half-sister, which is why she's not quite fit to enter the egg. She's distinguished as the "gendered child" (of the king) because all of the full hollow knights are the ungendered children of the king.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 22, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the one you control certainly isn't mindless

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Well yeah the king says that but then both the white lady and hornet say that your character can choose how things end. Which is true, you can. You can choose whether or not to dream nail the ghosts. You can choose whether or not to save zote or kill the nailsmith. I just don't buy it. The thing I was controlling who frequently ran back to the start just to see how the cute miner bug was doing wasn't mindless.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dtp8pts0roWo :eyepop:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can pogo bounce over it after it shoots all the goop

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The King refers to the White Lady's part in the equation with the word "root" so i dunno she's a plant god or something.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

seems like a bad game for analog sticks

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

that's a cool mod too

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hope you white palace likers are playing Celeste

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there's more coming after that so you're going to be waiting a really long time

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hey this game's out on switch right now

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Over There posted:

Do we ever find out what the beast is?

talk to him once you've got every other diary entry

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think they added combos with weavers in the last big update too. they move a lot faster with sprintmaster and they give you a tiny bit of soul every time they hit something with grubsong which seems crazy good

here (has spoilers in it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx_MvwZkGlg&t=118s

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 8, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There is a mod that makes it harder

https://github.com/5FiftySix6/HellMod posted:

* 1/2 Nail Damage
* 2x incoming damage
* 1/3 max SOUL
* 1/2 SOUL collection
* no SOUL collection while your shade is alive

And another mod that makes your only attack method dashing through enemies, which is a bit trickier than normal but fun too. Gives you the dash from the start and some pins improve it further.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I love rain world but it's about as far away as possible from the kind of movement in hollow knight. Play it anyway though

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Original nosk didn't really have any attacks and just tried to run into you

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i figured out i could swing down and pogo off enemies immediately after starting but i didn't realize i could do it off spikes until way later

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Half of the bugs you meet are travelers from outside the kingdom, there's definitely a whole world out there. When you show up the first thing the Elderbug says is that tons of bugs have come before you to explore the ruins.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 22, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Btw I've been playing the game again and something hit me: isn't it weird that the White Lady asks you to become the new vessel but gives you one of the items that's essential for NOT becoming the new vessel

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Noticed that just last night

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

PC version in maybe a few hours? No idea when Switch patches usually come out

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

So, how do you start this new stuff?

Iirc there's a new thing in the sewers? Dunno if there's anything to direct you there though. You might need a simple key? I guess they'd have to add a new one somewhere

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

f#a# posted:

I was able to access the area with the simple key on a 94% cleared save, so the former.

Looks like the new mode is locked behind completing Godshome. Still wanna know what it is!

I watched someone unlock it on stream (and then not actually look to see what it is), you don't have to complete everything, just the first three pantheons. doesn't seem like bindings matter either.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In my build for 100 again nothing in the White Palace was as bad as finding the Nailmaster in Greenpath. I genuinely hate the shade-system become it's exported from Dark Souls without good reason. Having your Soul-pool crippled is one thing but having your shade in the way of a difficult platforming challenge is just awful. In Dark Souls there was no platforming, except for the poo poo part, and losing souls on death was an incentive to spend, spend, spend. In Hollow Knight you can't forsake your shade if you wish to have a full Soul gauge, and you quickly run out of things to buy. I'm a big defender of Dark Souls 2's hollowification but this goes too far in the wrong direction.

What's also frustrating about the Greenpath challenge is if you kill a floating enemy by mistake you're very likely hosed.

While I do appreciate the developers constantly updating the game with extra bosses, it doesn't really appeal to me since I prefer my games to be a mixture of exploration, puzzles, and fighting. Isolating the one aspect and adding to that just upsets the balance. To wit I've beaten Arkham City three times and I've never bothered with the challenge-rooms, as I like the mixture of gameplay and not the fighting alone.

Crystal dash and stop in midair above the bugs that are still alive. Had to do it just last night.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

spending a lot of time getting hit in the middle of my supposed iframes during pure vessel

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The new content is in the boss rush

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cool how you've decided to spoil me and everyone else on this thing because you're upset about it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You don't need a controller, I've been watching a speedrunner go through the new update with a keyboard and she's a hell of a lot better with it than I am with a gamepad. If you want one anyway just pick up an Xbox or PS4 controller and plug it into your PC. Most modern games don't require any more work than that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Procrastine posted:

Just found out boss rush Hornet has different dreamnail dialog than normal. She seems to notice the spectators in the back. Who wants to dreamnail every boss to see if others are changed? :v:

The bindings in boss rush seem to be: Charms, no charms (unsurprisingly); Shell, default health (4); Soul, one third default soul (enough for one spell); Nail, reduced damage but not default nail damage (vengeflies still die in one hit). Anyone know exactly how the nail binding works?

Grimm does too. He's happy to put on another show. He bows to the god seeker at the start too

I've actually been dream nailing a lot of them with the associated charm (it restores like a third or more of your maximum soul, including the pips!) but I'm not familiar enough with everyone's normal dialog to tell the difference for most of them.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 24, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dunno if bindings get you anything, other than gamer pride. course there is that weird door with the pips around it that i still don't know what to do with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i like having dream wielder for uumuu. doesn't actually make it easier to hit him but it does make it easy to dream nail him while he's slowly drifting around for lots of soul. makes waiting for the jellies to line up less stressful imo