Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Arrhythmia posted:

Pure vessel is such a good hard fight. Good luck with pantheon 5... felt like a god when I finished it.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Revisionist of you to not appreciate Cloth's adventure

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

If you don't feel confident in your healing, using Vengeful Soul is fine. Everybody plays the game a little differently, some like the spells while others prefer sticking to melee. And thankfully the game is open to being played differently, too, so I'm sure you can find a style that works for you.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

What I don't understand is why even in godseeker mode do you need to earn the right to fight absolute radiance... like, come on.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

As long as you have the two halves that make up the Kingsoul charm you shooooould be able to just go and get the Void Soul charm in the Abyss? In the normal game you need shade cloak to get one of the pieces but when I was playing my seed I just acquired one half of the charm randomly somewhere so I think it isn't strictly required. Unless that's just another item and the Kingsoul halves + Void Soul are all just progressive items randomly thrown about.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I want to say not bad for my first randomizer but I'm sure there are one million improvements that could be made. I got somewhat unlucky that White Palace ended up being a Dreamer though. It had also been a hot minute since I had fought Radiance, since she doesn't exist by herself in Godhome I was super duper out of practice there. Still felt good to do it with only half of the upgrades I had picked up in the main game all completionist-y!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I am ashamed at all of you for not informing me of burglar bug sooner

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Since you've seen it you can practice it, there should be an open part of the hall of gods on the far right that should look bright.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Actually did this a while ago.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I've definitely broken the flower just on the spikes right before the grave, nothing you can do about that

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

For me it's definitely Radiance, then Trial of the Fool, then NKG. Radiance only took me, like, three good tries to beat, once I knew what I was doing it wasn't too bad. NKG took me multiple days of work.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Going to Kingdom's Edge early is rare but not unheard of. Without the lamp though, that's quite interesting. There's several exits out of the city that'll take you back to older areas, try looking upwards!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Enjoying the loretalk here.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I don't know if that's official art or not but it's good to see Hornet with arms

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

It's fun how we had a kind and regular ending to this conversation and then it got dredged up again with a much ruder tone for no particular reason.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I think they already dealt with the bank.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Magazine stuff is weird. But hype for things happening soon. Also I still love looking at that cover.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

So you can check Twitter while you play. :v:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Nail Arts are way more useful for traversal. Getting a one-shot on something that wouldn't normally be one-shot can make a huge difference.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Disrespecting my sisters of battle greatly right now...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

RCarr posted:

Sisters of battle was great but it’s much easier than NKG. Probably more fun but NKG was more satisfying.

See you said best boss, not hardest boss. While beating NKG feels great when you do it, I hate how perfect you have to be in order to do it. Hollow Knight is a hard game, for sure, but that's on an entirely different level, and the game knows that. Mantis Lords/Sisters in general are more fun because I think they're the perfect level of difficulty, feeling more like a game than a test.

Also I think PV is more fun and more fair than NKG anyway despite them being on similar levels of difficulty. So I wouldn't even rank NKG all that high to begin with.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

You can fight him whenever in the hall with all the bosses even if you haven't "seen him" I'm fairly sure. If not that, then unlocking a Godseeker save file will surely unlock him as well. (And as a bonus, Godseeker has the NKG death charm rather than the banishment charm.)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Do not care about people talking up the bonus bosses. You don't even need to barely engage with them to get a satisfying feeling, I mean after all the game gives you the option to ignore the fight right then and there which feels like an admission of its difficulty. You can fight him later if you really want to. You're doing better than you think, and NKG is a challenge that personally took me days to overcome, so try not to compare yourself to others and beat stuff up as your leisure.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Martman posted:

This is hard work, but I don't mind. Down here, I can k-keep posting without even sleeping. It's fun!

:golfclap:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

bike tory posted:

Yeah this is what I wanted to know. I looked up the last pantheon and it's a long as gently caress list of bosses that I don't want to slog through just to unlock the new ones. Maybe some day I'll come back to it but I genuinely dont think it'd be worth it right now.

Beating the first three Pantheons unlocks Godseeker mode. Making a savefile for Godseeker puts you in Godhome with all bosses unlocked asides from the super ultimate final boss of the last Pantheon. You can sample all the new stuff, including Pure Vessel, from there.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

My usual setup in this game for fighting bosses was Unbreakable Strength, Mark of Pride, Soul Catcher, and Quick Slash. Pretty vanilla but useful. I think it felt like the way the game was played by playtesters, or something.

I should try out Dreamshield in the future. I didn't realize it did damage, the description doesn't really imply such. Just goes to show things are worth testing out even if you think they might not be worthwhile.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

People should play how they want to, even if that involves cheating - it's a single-player game, so you're not getting in anyone else's way. But on the other hand, if you can't legitimately earn the achievement, it's ok to just not have it. Nobody worth your consideration is going to judge you.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Hollow Knight's endpoint difficulty was something that frustrated me to no end. The first moment I fought Nightmare King Grimm I thought to myself, "this is stupid", and banished the troupe instead. I thought it was cool that they gave me that option. When Godhome came out, it felt like more of that level of difficulty without the option to see the content in a more simple way. I would have loved if, for example, I didn't need to unlock Godseeker mode, and could just have applied it whenever in order to fight all the new bosses they came up with. While it still let me engage with Pure Vessel and the new Pantheon of Hallownest fights without getting to them for real, I'd forever be locked out of Absolute Radiance because I didn't have the patience for an hour-long boss rush with no checkpoints.

That being said, I think Nightmare King Grimm took me longer to beat than Pure Vessel. I don't know if this is because my practice on NKG "prepared" me for Pure Vessel or what, but I found that fight a lot more appropriately scaled to the level of challenge I had come to expect. Attacks were more readable and I felt less inclined to call bullshit on when I got owned. I never considered trying to "cheese" the fight, and I can maybe say that this is because I'm dumb and don't know how to cheese a lot of things, or I don't look for "advantages" in that way. I just learned how to fight it the regular way. It involved some pogo-ing, but only when I knew I was safe, like, for instance, the void tentacle lash-out that has quite a bit of standing still to it.

Nat, you know we have this sort of mutual respect and a bit of mutual disagreement at times on how we prefer things, but I think sometimes you have to understand that because a strategy works doesn't mean it's the only strategy, or even the best strategy, to be victorious. For my preference, it's with Pure Vessel all the way, because NKG felt like it didn't have any freedom in the way you were able to approach the fight or diversify the way you battled it, feeling like one of those puzzle games where there's only one solution, but Pure Vessel absolutely had that feeling of being approachable despite its difficulty.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I wanna say her name is Myla

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Rude of them to count my experimentation with the Randomizer as cheating

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

barclayed posted:

quick, what's everybody's favorite area? mines queens gardens or crystal peak

literally same

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

well yeah after beating the hardest bosses in the game anyone will feel like a chump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

PV is better.