Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Replaying this game after a year. Even with all that I learned from my first playthrough, I still manage to die like once every 30 minutes.

I don't know how anyone does a no-death steel soul runthrough or whatever. Like jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Remember there is a shortcut right by the bench where the cartographer is that shaves a few seconds off of that corpse run.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Frankston posted:

Sooooo is silksong ever coming out or what?

You can start asking if we are there yet in like 2021 okay

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Steel Soul attempt:

- Hey guys, this is not too hard.
- False Knight is pretty easy? Wow. Easier than I remember!
- Greenpath is going great!
- Hornet is pretty easy, just gotta pace myself
- I'm doing great, I'll take on those two bush guard dudes for that sweet money pile
- OKAY gently caress retreat retreat there is a bench near by...
- Oh poo poo that Bush dude who charges me took me down to one health ok well the bench is near and I don't wanna cheat by quitting the game and

Then another bush charger got me.

Man. Don't know how peeps do this.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The whole 1800 essence thing and the White Palace being so bullshit felt overturned for the 'true' ending. Shoulda been like half of both, I think.

At least they didn't force you to do Path of Pain for that kingsoul.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
There is no amount of GIT GUD to make me be able to beat all of Godhome

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
There is Get Gud and then there is "use your time for something more beneficial please as you slowly creep towards the evidential death we all face?"

I guess he'll have 'got gud' on his tombstone at least!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Combat in HK is way harder, especially on some of the bosses.

Ori has a weird mechanic where you can "fling" yourself off of glowly little orbs, which takes a LONG time to master, but it opens up a ton more of the game like the double-jump in HK. When you first are forced to use it and it takes forever to realize how to do it right, and then there is a chase part where you gotta outrun some rushing water that can take forever to do and re-do if you don't have that mechanic like super down yet.

Otherwise it's a great Metriodvania game. Like #2 to Hollow Knight's #1. Definitely worth playing the first Ori before this new second, as if the second is better than the first then it will be hard to go back after playing the latter.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Soul Master was a major road block after Hornet. Once you get good with him you'll feel great.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Radiance can be cheesed with a bunch of +spell damage, maxing out on the extra blue bubbles of health, and then doing the upwards howl attack a bunch.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm replaying this game for a third time in a year after recently buying it for the Switch after playing it on PC before.

Somehow the game seems harder-- like maybe its the Switch's Pro controller or something but I feel like I'm 1ms off on reaction or something. Oh well. Still enjoyable even if I am dying way more, esp to that fukken bee boss and that crappy corpse run.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I broke down and watched some of the plays of Silksong from previews and such so far posted places.

Man, I can't wait.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

As someone who barely beat the Radiance like once, when I see anything from Godhome I am like "ok yeah, no loving thanks"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Good recent metroidvanias: Ori and the Blind Forest and Steamworld Dig 2.

Both are a lot easier than HK but great games.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Mental_Illness.mov

On that clip

Why would anyone do that to themselves

gently caress

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The nail masters have such a good scam going: they get people to play them to teach things that are so rarely ever used / mostly forgotten about that no one knows if they were actually taught to be actually good at it?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The run back to that boss is what annoys most people, I think. It’s definitely the beginning of the GETGUD segment of the end game for most players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Can confirm Switch version felt a lot harder than PC. Oh well.