Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
Sorry to revive an older thread but... finally beat the HK fight on the first ending, and I'm now working to finish up the Hornet quest, starting with Traitor Lord.. Trial of the Conqueror is kicking my rear end right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Bust Rodd posted:

u can do it

Aw thanks. I appreciate ur confidence in me.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

i have not tried weaversong yet!! the parts that are throwing me for a loop in trial of the conqueror is where you're confined to the walls.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Serephina posted:

Hardest part of the trial for sure, iirc leading to desperately finding time to heal when the ground comes back after the beating you've taken. Summon cheese works for the Arena iirc, but there's no need for it and it's just a bunch of practice. Some people swear by the charm that lets you charge up nail techniques faster, but I'm a luddite and just got a bunch of +nail range and blundered through it. Keep at it (with breaks to explore elsewhere as you please), the arena gauntlets are harsh but fair.

My current build for TotC is Soul Catcher, Quick, Focus, Brubsong, Longnail, and Nailmaster's Glory. I love nailmaster because, like SirSamVimes said, I can oneshot aspids.

gently caress aspids.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

quick, what's everybody's favorite area? mines queens gardens or crystal peak

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

kingdoms edge just has this weird atmosphere especially with the music and i love it

i like kingdom's edge too! the little jumpy guys are very satisfying to fight with steady body on. just spamming attack lol.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Greenpath for sure. I like the way it's absolutely full of life/enemies but many of them either ambush you or run from you, helps give it that feeling of being a living ecosystem instead of just another dungeon.

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah I really like greenpath too, it's such a lovely little area and not too punishing.

for some reason i always combine greenpath and queen's gardens in my head. they feel like extensions of one another. but yeah!! i love both. 1st hornet fight is still one of my faves.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

SirSamVimes posted:

City of Tears, easily. That piano with the sound of soft rainfall is incredible.

this is true. i use city of tears ambience to study. however, i hated the mantis enemies.

No Dignity posted:

City of Tears was where the game really grabbed my attention and showed off the scope and ambition of the game so I'd have to go with that. I kinda like Ancient Cistern too, just for the ominous bad vibes you get when you first go down there

ooh, ancient basin is very cool as well. the broken vessels down there in the chasm always freaked me out. lore-wise it's awesome.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

hatty posted:

I really liked Deepnest it had such a cool atmosphere

you are the first person i've ever heard who likes deepnest. i do have to admit nosk is a pretty fun fight though. dreamshield makes it goated.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Cartoon Man posted:

I like the beehive. So vastly different from the rest of the game and good lore in there too.

sorry beehive pissed me the gently caress off having to walk back every time for the boss fight. even with the backcut it was tedious.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

OzFactor posted:

Yeah, that's the way I think it's supposed to look: whatever's left alive and clear of infection in the Kingdom has descended into total nihilism. They've all run away to the Literal Edge of the World and there's nothing left to do except kill each other. I like to think it goes very well with the subtle theme throughout the "civilized" Kingdom areas of the Kingdom itself looking like it was a very economically-stratified capitalist dystopia, the kind of place where you can't even sit down at a public park bench without paying for it, and, you know, that is powered by the souls of the tortured underclass. It's logical that that society would collapse into nihilistic violence.

HUH i have literally never thought about the benches like that. i love this take.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

SkeletonHero posted:

Crystal Peak because I'm a sucker for gems. If a level in any game is full of gems and jewels it's my favorite level. I even like Jewel Man's stage in Mega Man 9 and that's so statistically unlikely I mathematically don't exist.

i love the music and general vibe of crystal peak but crystal guardian. ugh. i think i cheesed the first part of the fight so i could get to the bench but haven't bothered for the second battle. gonna do it someday for Completion Points tho,

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

TheMadMilkman posted:

Every time Silksong is not featured in a Nintendo Direct i go ahead and replay Hollow Knight.

turn this into a drinking game

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

TheMadMilkman posted:

The Brothers and Watcher Knights are my personal least favorites. I’m terrible at keeping track of multiple bosses.

watcher knights i got very good at lining them up on the same side of the arena and then either shadowdashing through both of em or, if i was feeling panicked, a quick descending dark, because it does a fair bit of damage. also quick slash so i could kill em fast.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i'll be honest i mostly facetank watcher knights

i mean if it works it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

guppy posted:

Yeah, I know. Maybe I am overselling what I mean by "in the area." It's a decent hike back through some dangerous areas. Compare and contrast with almost every other boss -- Traitor Lord is an exception -- where the bench before the boss is, like, across the hall.

the parkour on the way to Traitor Lord makes me seethe.