Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

This game! So good.

I'm pretty terrible, which meant that it took me something like three hours to defeat Hornet the first time (partially because I failed to discover the Stagway station and trekked from a much further bench to get my rear end handed to me each time, and partially because I foolishly thought her battle cries were attack cues, but it was her animations I should have been watching...), and getting the worst ending took me over 40 hours (though I did have 80% completion, so I did see a bunch of stuff on the way).

I loved it though, even when it was brutalizing me with boss battles. I think because it was generally fair -- if I paid attention, learned the tells for the attacks, patterns, etc, I could eventually win through. And I could explore and find more charms and mask fragments and such to help offset my awfulness as well.

The art and music and animation and level design were just fantastic. A tiny thing -- you sit on a bench to rest. The first two or three you see are this particular metal wire bench. But there are *tons* of different style benches throughout. I also love the little signs pointing out dwellings, stagway stations, benches, etc. And the bug-speak voice clips... "Ahhh, bapanara."

I do sort of want to finish up through the "good ending" but am dreading some of the endgame content. Meanwhile, having defeated The Collector, my map is marked with a bunch of grubs to rescue, bringing my attention to areas I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Mindblast posted:

Ensure your nail is as good as it can be. Load up on +blue hp charms, use the one that changes your regular hp into blues if you can. Add the ones that allow faster swing speed and make you stay in place after hitting something. Range upgrades are not needed here.

The idea is that you can't heal reliably so you may as well just berserker his rear end into the ground. Try to dodge a little but don't sweat getting hit. Just rage like crazy. It works!

When I beat him I was using blue health and boosted damage, and I'm not sure if I was particularly lucky, but running up to him and jumping over him and hitting him from the other side as he starts charging his laser attack was very effective. He used the lasers from above very seldom in that fight and it might be because I kept closing with him -- he'd turn around start charging the laser again, I'd jump over him and hit him from the other side.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Mindblast posted:

I think I did. I wasn't even aware you could miss it really. Sounds like a bug(:v:) to me there is nothing that indicates you need to do something special.

Whoah. I just found that in a youtube clip now. I definitely did not run into her there.

Maybe it's because I did not have my second battle with Hornet until *after* my trip to the Beast's den...

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Mindblast posted:

It's been a litle while since I played, so I''m trying to retrace him I went through the game and might be off, but if it is true that the scene at Herrah will not play until you beat the second Hornet fight, that is an oversight imo. The way you go through the game makes you far more likely to encounter deepnest before you encounter Kingdoms Edge. Actually, can you even get into Kingdoms Edge without coming into contact with that zone? Any seasoned metroidvania player will usually not move out of a new zone until they're sure that they can not progress further in said zone.

I fell down into Deepnest, ended up exploring bunch and getting the Tram Pass and then leaving via the bottom right without having encountered Herrah. From there I ended up in the Hive and then wandered up into Kingdom's Edge, where I ran into Hornet... and she kicked my butt a couple times and I wandered off to do other things (including more fully exploring Deepnest) before eventually getting back there, only after the Herrah encounter, at which point I finally beat Hornet.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 4, 2017

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

I do not understand how their sole artist survived the trial of hand-drawing this entire loving game.

To add more to the mind-blowing achievement of this game, the kickstarter only got ~44k USD.

It is an utterly amazing game, and even more so given the size of the team.

Only one artist does explain how incredibly consistent everything is, but, yeah, 140+ animated enemies, all the backgrounds, the cutscene bits... that's an enormous pile of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Meaty Ore posted:

And I don't know if it's just a problem I'm having with the different controller or what, but I'm nowhere near as good at this as I am when playing on my PC. Everything seems a little off, somehow. It's the same game and all, but there seems to be little things throwing me off here and there. The knight seems to jump slightly differently, slightly higher and more floaty. Enemy behaviors and timings seem a little different, especially flying enemies. It's giving me fits. I died three goddamn times trying to get the Howling Wraiths ability, just as an example of how much it's screwing with me. I've beaten the game with 112% in Steel Soul mode, I shouldn't be dying repeatedly to a few mosquitoes.

The switch version input felt laggy to me somehow -- I'd constantly miss jumps, etc, that I had no problems with on the PC or PS5.

I'm not particularly great at the game but I had massive difficulties on switch which I didn't have on the other platforms.