Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

So I was looking to buy the humble bundle, and was thinking of gifting away the extra copies of games I already have so I just casually wandered into this thread.

I sure as gently caress don't remember that part of the White Palace, I'm just going to assume it was added sometime after I last played years ago. Cuz gently caress that noise, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wasn't the story was added in after the game was mostly complete? I'd not look too hard into it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I grabbed the first Ori game on steam since it was cheap, played 2 hours and had hit a roadblock before wandering around wondering how to progress. Just before two hours are up, I quit and looked at a guide. Turns out I was right, I was supposed to push this block into a pit of spikes then jump off it onto the wall overhead, except I'd been doing that for ages and the game refused to register a wall-grab when rubbing my face up against it. I just assumed it was the super float-y controls and I'm not actually supposed to go up there. Maybe the rock was mis-aligned, idk. So refunded.

Nothing gets my gander up as much as a platformer with sluggish responsiveness, there was a lot of floating and other angering bits elsewhere. Guess I've been spoiled.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

guppy posted:

Oh, I should have figured for an MS Studios game, it requires Windows 10. I've had and seen too many bad experiences with Win10 to upgrade, and it's only on PC and Xbone. Unless someone can confirm that it doesn't actually require Win10/DX12, I'm sitting this one out.

I've got a huge grin as I type this, but I'm quite serious when I say... WINE on windows might actually be a workaround for you?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Das_Ubermike posted:

the endless chase/escape sequences.

Hissss. Who's bright idea was that, and why the hell was it a feature they kept? Was it popular - I can't imagine so.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I know we're now talking about a different game and not HK, so do tell if the derail is unwelcome.

But I was not impressed with Ori1 (I have not bought #2 yet, I hear its much better). The controls where super float-y, mitigated later on by giving you more and more silly-strong abilities, but when not spamming said abilities the controls showed through again.

The chase sequences where very cinematic and pretty, but half the time one started it would boil my blood because it was a surprise, locked the door behind you, overwrote your save file, and wouldn't let you out until you can do it all in one go with no checkpointing. The HK equivalent would be touching the dead king, and suddenly being trapped in White Palace (I think that's the names, it's been a long time). And there's like six of these mini-white-palaces scattered about, sometimes with no warning that you where about to trigger a thing. Maybe I'm just weird.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's funny, I don't recall any boss fight in particular being a huge blocker, other than the original Mantis Lords which you're quite explicitly told to come back for later. I hear stuff like Soul Master is everyone's bane but I casually walked past him in like 1.5 tries, and I'm terrible at these games and normally need like a dozen tries per boss. I never ever managed to finish the arena of fools lvl3 fight for example, I'm that bad.

So someone being stuck on Hornet might not mean they need to cheat past all fights for the rest of their game, brains are weird and break or clutch on random things.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I haven't used a randomizer yet but I would have thought that the hallmark of a good one is not creating unwinnable sequences. If that means certain movement skills must come early then so be it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Organza Quiz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FarUc_Yh_YY

Anything is possible if you believe....

Man, the game's sure had a lot of poo poo added to it since I played it. I understand that the crimson troupe is DLC, but there where a lot of bosses in there that I didn't recognize. Interesting that the devs have been putting so much combat challenges in, that's usually not the focus of metroidvanias. What's the story on the dude in the mask watching all the fights (and his fate?) (and that ending with hornet??)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

kvx687 posted:

That's the titular Godmaster of the DLC. The entire scenario is basically set in her mindscape, the way the White Palace is for the King. She's trying to connect to the various gods of the kingdom, which you somewhat unwittingly assist with via beating up the various bosses in the Trials. At the very end you go up against the Radiance in its purest form, and as with the normal ending it ends up with the Void overflowing and eating her, which apparently takes the rest of the mindscape with it. The result of this is that the Void starts overflowing out of the Godmaster's physical body, and either explodes massively in the normal ending or is sucked into the Fragile Flower and dissipates if you gave her one before the trial. The final scene with Hornet appears to be the Hollow Knight wandering out of the Black Egg Temple, since you killed the Radiance without needing to go through him first.

Cool thanks! I just looked it up, apparently that's all free dlc? Wow. I used the dream nail but everything else is new. Is it worth creating a new save (my old one is long gone) to see grim/troupe/godmaster content, or are they aimed more at masochists? For the record I got the radiant ending, but could never finish the Fool's arena.

edit: Spoilers

Serephina fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 3, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How is this the first I've heard of Silksong?! What the hell thread, what the gently caress Steam, you have all failed me.

Do they accept preorders? Just take my money already geez.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pigbuster posted:

It is still wild to me that the main character of Hollow Knight A: isn't the Hollow Knight, and B: isn't a bug.

I heard somewhere that the story was grafted into HK very late into development; it's entirely possible that prior to plot the hollow knight was the protag, and implied to be a bug also since all enemies are bugs. The game's had a very, very long tail in it's dev cycle.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I just bought Ori and the Will of the wisps, so of course the first thing I do is reinstall Hollow Knight (?) after many years of absence.

One: I just did that area we're talking about. The game heavily implies pogo-ing is the correct answer, as it's also taught you pogo tricks in the Forgotten Crossroads for getting grubs, crossing giant centipedes, etc. Pogoing sucks, as does most of the super masochistic platforming segments HK like putting in for no good reason.

Two: The very first time I pressed the jump button upon reinstalling, I was surprised and how floaty the controls are. It's a complaint I've heard before and never had an opinion on until now. I know the HK combat loop is strongly based around the avatar having a lot of vertical movement, but it's kinda strange seeing a metriodvania where you start the game with high-jump unlocked. I can totally see it being off-putting to some people.

Game's still good, yet I've noticed the enjoyment level is mostly based around how fluidly I'm finding new areas. I'm trying to unlock things differently than I did years ago (eg, hit the spider's den asap after Mantis lords) and the fun totally comes in ebbs and flows.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, having finished my second playthrough of HK, now with DLC, it's interesting to see how some of my opinions have changed over the years:

-First point, game is good. Took about 25 hours to 100% the second playthrough, so that's a lot of fun and an appropriate playtime without dragging. Things still hold up.
-The story is suuuuper obfuscated. I can buy that the player knight knows what he's doing even if I, the player, do not (eg, why am I killing this sleeping dude again? He's just standing there), but when the Grimm Troupe hit I'm pretty goddamn sure the player knight doesn't know what's going on, nobody explains squat, and quick let's break the cycle of the troupe since we're all slaves somehow?!
-Pogo-ing is awful. The White Palace was actually fun this time around, and I've played a lot of 'hard' platformers since my first HK playthrough (eg Celeste), but pogo-ing is still bad.
-I took a quick glance inside Godhome, saw about a hundred statues of bosses, got one of them 2/3rds of the way done before my brain kicked in and asked me wtf I was doing with my life. There's probably a thousand hours of grinding in there, jesus.
And my main beef:
-Way, way, WAY too much content is hidden behind secrets that are unreasonable to find. I almost missed the entire Grimm DLC since I missed that one breakable wall and had to wiki it after I'd done 2/3 sleepers. But me missing that one wall could be on me! But not me wondering where the White Dung Defender fight was, as I vaguely knew he popped up later on and you broke a floor to get him. Turns out he only shows after you have all 3 sleepers done, and floor slam a totally innocuous place that doesn't have tells. poo poo like that, and there's more than a few of those. It's not as bad as Nethack, but there's so much drat fun content/charms that no reasonable person will ever find without the wiki, maybe like a third of all the "main" content I'd guess.

Again, game is still good and I'm stoked for Silksong whenever it hits, and now to actually play this Ori game that I bought.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

DrBouvenstein posted:

gently caress the Queen's Gardens and gently caress the Traitor Lord.

Now stands as t he boss I've beat my head against the most. Still haven't beaten him, and I've tried several strategies/charm combos.

2 loving masks per hit is absurd, even with the fast healing AND the "crouch and move a bit while healing" charms, I can't get a break. Those God-damned orange circle things always get me.

I was having trouble with him just recently till I had a lightbulb moment: he's gated behind the that black pillar that you need shade dash to get through, I wonder why? Turns out that just dashing through him (optimally, with sharp shadow for the dmg and +50% range) turns him into a joke, as he will either just miss you and stand there letting you get a lot of sucker punches in, or go flying offscreen giving you plenty time to heal.

He went from total bastard to ez-pz and I felt like a fool for not thinking about how he was gated.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
For the Fool trials, I find quick focus plus one of the nail range extenders (but not both) makes things substantially easier. I personally used gurbsong, quick-recovery and thorns of agony, with fungal focus and defenders crest. Basically my idea is I'm going to get hit a lot, so might as well get some free AoE dmg in.

Most of it is knowing the enemies; many of the rounds should be done flawlessly as they're so easy, so you have time to heal up before they're over and you can walk into the 'hard' rounds with full hp, whatever rounds those are for you. The third trial (fool) can be skipped, but yea go get that ore.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Of all the optional content in the game, Zote is like the most totally optional of them all. There are far better ways of getting essence, and unless you're gunning for 112% you can just ignore him.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Surely you've mis-counted, there's more dream enemies than that. Maybe like 3k worth in the game? So you can skip Zote and one other if you really really really need to see the last piece of dialogue from the moth seer. Or just not care, since again, that's 112% material and doesn't actually give you anything useful like a charm.

edit: Nah I'm wrong, there's only like 2.7k. So skip zote and go get White defender, he's a fun easy fight. Remember that 112% includes stuff like the delicate flower and trial of the Fool, so a lot of that stuff can be left until you can be stuffed to try it.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 6, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

f#a# posted:

Just did it, here are my tips (it sounds like you did it too but hey, whatever):

- Use Shaman Stone, Spell Twister, Mark of Pride. Grubberfly's Elegy is also helpful but is a liability in Fog Canyon, be wary.
- Take the tram over to Crossroads. Down to Gruz Mother, then left to Fog Canyon.
- Vengeful Spirit/Shade Soul the Furious Vengeflies—one SS will kill them. One who is below you in the first goam room can be baited and become stuck so you can hit him through the floor, just jump out and back. Another who is up a ramp after alternating goams can be quickly abyssal shrieked and you can charge on before he explodes.
- Take your time descending Fog Canyon to Teacher's Archives. Try not to do anything offensive whatsoever as you might pop a kamikaze jellyfish. It's possible to make it down that screen without touching anything.
- You'll only need to shade soul one flying mantis in Queen's Gardens, shouldn't be a problem.
- Don't double jump in the last thorny room.

Here's the full attempt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvMCL3k1F24

Much better idea:
Pop the dream nail outside the Grey mourner's route, don't bother to pick up the flower.
Do the route normally with whatever the hell you like, clearing EVERYTHING. Explosive jellyfish, the works. Don't touch any benches, but do use the hot pools.
Practice the last jump over the thorns like 6 times.
Dream nail back, pick up flower, walk through the route uncontested.

This is way, way easier than actually trying to clear things untouched. I also used summons because they're fun and can pop the jellyfish well offscreen safely.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

b_d posted:

iirc you can also cheese it like so:
sit on the queen's gardens stag bench. make your way to the flower giver, using stags if you want. get the flower then exit your game and reload it. you should be back on the queen's gardens bench.

not 100% sure this works but it shouldn't take long to attempt

nope! Picking up the flower instantly sets your respawn point to the bench outside the mourner's hut.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The best thing about that isn't that he's clearly so very practiced on the Path of Pain, no hesitations anywhere, but that he took absolutely no loving chances on any of the combat encounters before and after. The astristocrat mooks in the City and the spitting spiders in deepnest where approached with such utmost caution that I find it hilarious.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Radiance is probably the easiest of those 3, as I beat it her on my first playthrough but couldn't do fool. It's not an unfair fight, with a bunch of bullshit in it (cough cough Zote, Fool), but is just something that takes a lot of practice.

That being said, don't do it if you don't like it. The GodHome pantheons are worth a crack, as the first few are filled with easy bosses. But if you're done with the game, just move on.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Likewise nail arts, things I normally never use, come into their own during Fool for one-shotting them. And the optional charm is only one notch.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I got to nailsage Sly last night, then tried him again in the chamber to practice. Yup, he's exactly as buzzsaw murder as he looked in videos. Gonna take a bit of practice, for sure.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If it's raining and/or you're in a city, then you're 100% in the right place.

I was thinking about this the other day; while at the start of midgame there's a lot of freedom in where to explore, it's not really possible to 'sequence break' in HK, is it? Like, you need some of those movement skills to advance the main plot, right?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How on Earth are people not seeing the lantern as a medium-term objective to buy? There's like rooms everywhere that need it, some just off of Forgotten Crossroads I think? It's like the one big money pressure presented to the player at game start.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
skeleton?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I never thought of that; What is Zote made out of? He's can't a "Sibling", but looks exactly like them, and his remains imply that he's made of mask and cloak same as the Knight.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Youtube is a plague, people will make a 20 minute video that needed hours of editing for what could have just been a few paragraphs of text.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
'Radiance screams through them' really does fail Occam's Razor. The figure poising itself in a howl, with a loud howl coming from it? It's probably howling.

'But all the other ones don't talk!' Yes well, the other ones also don't have heroic statues made of them showing how tall and dashing they are (before being sealed away forever). This one's different. If it's yelling at me in pain/whatever, then I'm willing to believe that it's yelling at me.

edit: Oh ffs really? I have to get to the top of pantheon 4 before getting that salacious piece of lore? gently caress you, game. Next DLC will have you going through the path of pain while Zote keeps bouncing around you, in order to find the backstory of Dirtmouth. Fuckers.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 24, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The HK map is one of it's weakest points imo. I missed a super obvious item lying out in the open since it was in a room you'll never revisit, but I didn't explore fully when going through the first time. The game cheerfully filled the entire thing out (no fog etc) and I'd assumed it was explored until I cracked open the wiki wondering where the thing I wanted was missing from.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
White Defender is hard? It's just dung defender, but more of. He's such a fun and easy punching bag. Hardest part is finding him, which is basically nethack-levels of impossible without being spoilered.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Seconding the 'skip hiveblood' advice. It slows the platforming down far too much, and pulls you out of the groove/tilts you during hard segments.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Why not just go win the game?

While it's impressive that you've somehow managed to avoid Queen's Gardens (I would have thought it mandatory, but apparently not), stuff like Godhome are *very* post-game extras. You don't have to grind 100% completion rate, you've completed all the major stuff and the final boss is waiting for you. The fight is right next to the starting village and is relatively easy as bosses are, go have fun.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'll quibble a bit and say that while Gardens is totally an organic metroidvania exploration thing (as is end of world/colosseum), Hive is almost an easter egg in how well hidden the entrance is, and white palace is no joy the first time through. It IS interesting to see a person get so far through (3 dreamers!) and just lose interest.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's only because of Godhome and its stupid dick-punch segments for masochists. The trial of the Fool (and particularly the extended air section) is legitimately hard and probably the hardest combat related thing that will be asked of the player for a normal 100% playthrough.

I eventually got through it (and in good enough shape to finish the boss fight afterwards) by using the summoner build. Also a lot of it is knowing how to one-shot the bastard triple-spitters, iirc they go down to a single nail art or fireball.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Volume Warning, someone uploaded a 1996-style video with maxed clipping. Very Professional.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

multijoe posted:

It's a special meter. It might be novel for a metroidvania but it's extremely common in fighting games and arpgs

Yes but have you considered that fighting games using a joystick to represent 4 directions is just an adaptation of the mechanics of Asteroid? Makes you think!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Explicitly yes, Godhome is split into the pantheons (aka boss rush mode), and a corridor of statues where you can fight any boss you've unlocked. This also includes NKG, which lets you fight him without having to blood sacrifice small children, you monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You guys have got it all backwards; Divinity was put it as a way for players to spend their oodles of geo on something, anything. The prices are outlandish for something you might not ever use, especially when trying to buy them all of them.