Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I don't think policy has anything to do with why the Dems are in the situation they are in right now.

I have no idea how you changed from a Cassandra pre-election to an idiot post-election, but it's been a hell of a thing to witness.

That dog would be listened to by the donor class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

evilweasel posted:

see, this is a stupid post

like even under the most crazy of conspiracy beliefs, it's a really, really stupid post

lets imagine the dnc has no interest in policy. they don't care. they just want to get all those sweet centrist kickbacks

how do you get those? you get those by having a majority, so all the lobbyists have to bribe you. so your hypothetical dnc still wants thompson to win, they just thought he has no chance so why bother

i mean this is what i mean when i say that you are an idiot. it's not just that you have idiotic beliefs that contradict facts. its that your idiotic beliefs aren't even remotely consistent because the actual belief you have is just that all bad things are caused by ~evil centrists~

You think that the Republican party (which completely controls the state governments of 60% of the US population) is a minority party. Who gives a poo poo what you think is stupid?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Condiv posted:

they wanted him to win so bad, they sent a grand total of $0 in aid.

already responded to this too

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Yeah just go hard left and see if you win any elections I guess. It's worth a try.

Centrists are supposed to be all about making a deal through compromise. If you start out the gate as a Centrist and you push for a compromise solution that ultimately works for both sides, then the Republicans can't support it because it would be a win for Democrats and a Republican can never let a Democrat get a win or they could be devoured by their own.

If you start out the gate as a Leftist and craft Centrist legislation, then it's a loss for the Leftist Democrat and the Republican can support it. If you desire Centrist policy you should support Leftists.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

evilweasel posted:

i already answered this question, gave you a very easy to understand answer, that you quoted and typed a response to

if you can't think of an answer when i literally gave one to you, you quoted it, but now it has exited your head i can't help you

i mean it's one thing if you disagree with the reason i gave but you didn't even do that, you have now completely forgotten it even existed

yeah, you said some bs about they only wanted to run one test run and they weren't sure thompson could win, but oh they sure wish he could, and that they just happened to choose GA, with the candidate they were familiar with as the testing grounds to throw 8.3 million dollars at. that doesn't explain a lot though, cause 8.3m is a lot and thompson wanted a fraction of that and was told no by perez.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Or we could be some sort of coalition? I mean I know idiological purity is important in this radicalized age and all but eating each other probably isn't the answer.

The problem is, a lot of third way Dems have made the pretty deliberate choice to ignore a major, vital part of that coalition, ie: the working class. I agree that all cylinders need to be firing for the Dems to win national elections, but you have to understand, it's not the Sanders wing of the party that's shutting other wings out, or refusing to let them hold the reins for a little bit.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Or we could be some sort of coalition? I mean I know idiological purity is important in this radicalized age and all but eating each other probably isn't the answer.
The left has been trying that for about thirty years or more. Turns out that an alliance with nihilists isn't worth much.

Like, don't confuse talking about "centrists" in D&D with talking about people who just have moderate political views. We're referring specifically to the people who run the DNC (and their idiotic defenders here) who have basically no ideology to speak of, aside from power for its own sake. Establishment Democrats aren't in politics to make the world a better place, or for that matter really do much of anything when in office other than the bare minimum their constituency demands (assuming they can't weasel out of it somehow). They're mostly in politics because it's a good racket and because it feeds their ego. If forced to choose between sharing what power they have in the DNC, with people who want to do poo poo (which always carries some risk), and just remaining a minority party forever, they'll choose the latter. They have chosen the latter. These are the shitheads we're talking about - not people who aren't ideologically leftist enough. I know that gets lost in the rhetoric sometimes but that's what it is. I mean I can only speak for myself but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kilroy posted:

what specific campaign promises are you hypothetically accusing me of wanting him to abandon? single payer? $15 min wage?

Kilroy posted:

I suppose I should also point out that if Thompson does an AMA where he talks about single payer and 15 that's a lot more believable than Hillary finally doing that after figuring out the winds are blowing at gale force in that direction within her party and the Sanders wing basically forcing her to. Then mostly ignoring those issues in the general. I should point it out, even though I know you've got a ready-made excuse prepared and you don't give a poo poo.
You make distinction between Thompson and Hillary where there's none wrt policy even going as far down as promoting bipartisanship. You also consistently argue that Hillary would not enact or support leftist policy. So, if your Bernie bro won the election, was supported by the national democratic [ideals] and affirmed bernie's policies, he would be going against his constituents.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Condiv posted:

yeah, you said some bs about they only wanted to run one test run and they weren't sure thompson could win, but oh they sure wish he could, and that they just happened to choose GA, with the candidate they were familiar with as the testing grounds to throw 8.3 million dollars at. that doesn't explain a lot though, cause 8.3m is a lot and thompson wanted a fraction of that and was told no by perez.

How much of that 8.3 is from the DNC and how much is from individual donors?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So Condiv have you switched from Bizket to Linken Park? Lemme know when you're done with playing Crawlin' on loop and move onto Good Charlotte. Haven't heard that poo poo in years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SSNeoman posted:

So Condiv have you switched from Bizket to Linken Park? Lemme know when you're done with playing Crawlin' on loop and move onto Good Charlotte. Haven't heard that poo poo in years.

Is this the centrist pushback?

Against people saying mean things

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You make distinction between Thompson and Hillary where there's none wrt policy even going as far down as promoting bipartisanship.

Well, but Thompson doesn't have a 30-year record of supporting austerity or free trade, though. Baggage counts for a lot in politics.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Condiv posted:

yeah none of this is true, you are an idiot

go quote my post and try to respond to it, not your diseased memory of what it said

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boy, I sure wish I hadn't been such an rear end in a top hat to third-party voters, because now I'm too busy getting hosed up the rear end by Trump to do lovely Let's Plays anymore!

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kilroy posted:

The left has been trying that for about thirty years or more. Turns out that an alliance with nihilists isn't worth much.

Like, don't confuse talking about "centrists" in D&D with talking about people who just have moderate political views. We're referring specifically to the people who run the DNC (and their idiotic defenders here) who have basically no ideology to speak of, aside from power for its own sake. Establishment Democrats aren't in politics to make the world a better place, or for that matter really do much of anything when in office other than the bare minimum their constituency demands (assuming they can't weasel out of it somehow). They're mostly in politics because it's a good racket and because it feeds their ego. If forced to choose between sharing what power they have in the DNC, with people who want to do poo poo (which always carries some risk), and just remaining a minority party forever, they'll choose the latter. They have chosen the latter. These are the shitheads we're talking about - not people who aren't ideologically leftist enough. I know that gets lost in the rhetoric sometimes but that's what it is. I mean I can only speak for myself but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this.

And... do these people actually exist or is that how it looks to you? Real question I'm curious..

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Is this the centrist pushback?

Against people saying mean things

I'm actually left as gently caress I just don't tilt at windmills.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
When I used to read evilweasel's D&D posts back in the day I would think "I wish he would just talk like a human being instead of a robotic lawyer" and I guess a monkey's paw somewhere closed because his normal personality is a thousand times worse.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

How much of that 8.3 is from the DNC and how much is from individual donors?

not sure, but it's not like they didn't offer him support in other areas as well:

quote:

In addition to being well-funded, Ossoff is also heavily staffed. The DCCC sent eight staffers to Georgia in March to help his election efforts, bringing his total to 70 paid staffers and 2,000 volunteers. The DNC's bylaws mandate that the organization stay neutral during the primary, but the committee is prepared to deploy staffers and high-profile surrogates to the district for Ossoff if he finds himself in a head-to-head runoff.

i wish thompson could've had just one of those staffers. oh well, the guy who hobnobbed in d.c. is the only one worth attention from the DNC

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

evilweasel posted:

yeah none of this is true, you are an idiot

go quote my post and try to respond to it, not your diseased memory of what it said

nah, you're obviously more interested in calling people idiots than making arguments. that's been about 90% of your responses to me, so forgive me if i don't waste the effort sifting through that to find the few specks of actual content in your posts

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kilroy posted:

see this is what i don't get

sure, assume the dnc has no ideology other than power for power's sake

how on earth does that lead you to "the dnc doesn't want to win an election that would get them closer to power"

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

Actually I think both Clinton and Thompson should have been more vocal about the parts of their platform that draw from progressive causes, and I don't think Thompson is super progressive just that he's not a conservative Democrat either. So it's just you here contradicting yourself. As usual.

So you think Thompson ran a standard democratic campaign but that he totally would have won if he'd just been more progressive in his R+30 district? You're delusional.

quote:

I suppose I should also point out that if Thompson does an AMA where he talks about single payer and 15 that's a lot more believable than Hillary finally doing that after figuring out the winds are blowing at gale force in that direction within her party and the Sanders wing basically forcing her to. Then mostly ignoring those issues in the general. I should point it out, even though I know you've got a ready-made excuse prepared and you don't give a poo poo.

The Sanders wing forced Thompson to state he supported 15 and single payer to get their money, and once he got it he ignored those issues in his campaign.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You make distinction between Thompson and Hillary where there's none wrt policy even going as far down as promoting bipartisanship. You also consistently argue that Hillary would not enact or support leftist policy. So, if your Bernie bro won the election, was supported by the national democratic [ideals] and affirmed bernie's policies, he would be going against his constituents.
He's not a "Bernie Bro" you horse's rear end and how would he be going against his constituents who voted for him despite his coming out in support of $15 and single payer? Did they vote for him without knowing about his support for those things? Did they vote for him thinking he didn't really support them?

And note that Hillary does have a serious credibility problem. That's factored into the comparison as well. You can find evidence of her supporting and opposing almost anything, at some point in her career. For what it's worth I think she would have supported leftist causes as President to the extent that her triangulation calculator told her to, but no more. And I even supported her on that basis.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

SSNeoman posted:

actually you do

your conduct wrt third party voters is proof enough of that

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Berne Bro not being word filtered to big gay cum daddies is problematic.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Condiv posted:

nah, you're obviously more interested in calling people idiots than making arguments. that's been about 90% of your responses to me, so forgive me if i don't waste the effort sifting through that to find the few specks of actual content in your posts

i gave comprehensive answers to your arguments that treated you like an adult, you ignored them and have now chosen to pretend they don't exist, so i'm just going to call you a moron rather than repeat putting in effort to explain why you're wrong again when all you can muster are to repeat the same stupid things i already debunked, but with less detail

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SSNeoman posted:

IMHO in face of the utter collapse of pragmatism and its failure to achieve anything whatsoever, tilting at windmills is bound to have a better track record.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Nonsense posted:

Berne Bro not being word filtered to big gay cum daddies is problematic.

same but "centrists" -> "untermenschen"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

So you think Thompson ran a standard democratic campaign but that he totally would have won if he'd just been more progressive in his R+30 district? You're delusional.

You're making the incredibly unwise assumption that economic populism has nothing to offer in an R+30 district - particularly when most Dems haven't tried that strategy in quite a while anyway.

quote:

The Sanders wing forced Thompson to state he supported 15 and single payer to get their money, and once he got it he ignored those issues in his campaign.

How did they "force" him to do that?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

see this is what i don't get

sure, assume the dnc has no ideology other than power for power's sake

how on earth does that lead you to "the dnc doesn't want to win an election that would get them closer to power"

The DNC has been completely had circles run around them by republicans in the last 10 years. That is the scandal, one of incompetence.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I am just loving amazed that people are taking a 20 point swing from 2016 in under 6 months and somehow painting it as DEMOCRATS BAD. This is spectacular news and points to a good chance of winning GA-6, MT-AL and SC-19 plus the state-level races in NJ and VA in the fall. There was almost no chance of winning a district that in a neutral environment is R-30 barring the Trump piss tape leaking. Why does everyone seem to be pissed instead of elated?

How the gently caress is that the conclusion you take? If the GOP were suddenly competitive in deep blue districts in cities they'd be dancing from the rooftops. Why the gently caress can't our side ever enjoy anything?

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 12, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Maarek posted:

When I used to read evilweasel's D&D posts back in the day I would think "I wish he would just talk like a human being instead of a robotic lawyer" and I guess a monkey's paw somewhere closed because his normal personality is a thousand times worse.

His posts are fine, he's just telling people not to clutch pearls and eat each other.

Condiv posted:

not sure, but it's not like they didn't offer him support in other areas as well:

i wish thompson could've had just one of those staffers. oh well, the guy who hobnobbed in d.c. is the only one worth attention from the DNC

like look at this poo poo. Oh if only he had one staffer, a penny for the poor please surely we could take redneck kansas if we do thaaaaaaat

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Well, but Thompson doesn't have a 30-year record of supporting austerity or free trade, though. Baggage counts for a lot in politics.

He campaigned on making trade agreements that made it easier for Kansans to export agricultural products. That's code for free trade agreements.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

axeil posted:

I am just loving amazed that people are taking a 20 point swing from 2016 and somehow painting it as DEMOCRATS BAD.

How the gently caress is that the conclusion you take? If the GOP were suddenly competitive in deep blue districts in cities they'd be dancing from the rooftops. Why the gently caress can't our side ever enjoy anything?

I'll guess CENTRISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's basically like the left's version of GLOBALISTS!!!

VVV case in point

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Fwiw, I think your assessment is essentially correct.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

You're making the incredibly unwise assumption that economic populism has nothing to offer in an R+30 district - particularly when most Dems haven't tried that strategy in quite a while anyway.

Even Trumpists are now plurality pro single payer and other things, but we will still assume that you must triangulate the poo poo out of everything because that has been proven to work

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

axeil posted:

I am just loving amazed that people are taking a 20 point swing from 2016 and somehow painting it as DEMOCRATS BAD.

I don't know, personally. While it may not be replicable in all districts or states, I think it's a big sign that the Dems should run hard on economic populism, because even a little of it can go a long way.

steinrokkan posted:

Even Trumpists are now plurality pro single payer and other things, but we will still assume that you must triangulate the poo poo out of everything because that has been proven to work

Yeah, well, the problem there is the "proven to work part," I'm afraid...

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Kilroy posted:

He's not a "Bernie Bro" you horse's rear end and how would he be going against his constituents who voted for him despite his coming out in support of $15 and single payer? Did they vote for him without knowing about his support for those things? Did they vote for him thinking he didn't really support them?

And note that Hillary does have a serious credibility problem. That's factored into the comparison as well. You can find evidence of her supporting and opposing almost anything, at some point in her career. For what it's worth I think she would have supported leftist causes as President to the extent that her triangulation calculator told her to, but no more. And I even supported her on that basis.

lol did anyone think hillary was gonna be tough on the hated banks after her secret speeches to goldman sucks?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Majorian posted:

I don't know, personally. While it may not be replicable in all districts or states, I think it's a big sign that the Dems should run hard on economic populism, because even a little of it can go a long way.

Whoah easy there bud that's a dangerously good post for this poo poo thread! We're still not up to Evanescence on our teenager pandora trip for you to start doing that!

Typo posted:

lol did anyone think hillary was gonna be tough on the hated banks after her secret speeches to goldman sucks?

Putin bots aren't even trying anymore

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

I am just loving amazed that people are taking a 20 point swing from 2016 in under 6 months and somehow painting it as DEMOCRATS BAD. This is spectacular news and points to a good chance of winning GA-6, MT-AL and SC-19 plus the state-level races in NJ and VA in the fall. There was almost no chance of winning a district that in a neutral environment is R-30 barring the Trump piss tape leaking. Why does everyone seem to be pissed instead of elated?

Because selection of representatives is a zero sum game, and failing to anticipate a possible victory and deploy resources to swing it from zero to all is in fact extremely infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

Yeah, well, the problem there is the "proven to work part," I'm afraid...

:thejoke:

• Locked thread