Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Just the one most people already suspect: all politicians (in this country, at least) are puppets of corporate interests, whether they know it or not. The vast majority of them know it and don't care because hey, it's a pretty sweet life. You get a certain degree of autonomy where you decide if you want an R or a D next to your name, and can advocate for your positions and pet issues, as long as they're "inside the lines" i.e. they don't seriously threaten or undermine the power structures of american capitalism.

POTUS is like the doctor manhattan of politicians, they're still a puppet but they occupy a high enough position that they can see the strings. The power of the office is real and vast, and you're supposed to use it to keep the status quo afloat and keep the money flowing to the top. How smoothly your time in office goes depends largely on how well you function as this important cog in the machine. If you try to be a hero you'll be contained by all the people around you saying "sorry you can't do this" or, failing that, get your brain ventilated like our ol' buddy Jack.

Trump is significant because although he is a puppet (of the Kremlin, of his own narcissism, or both) he's not one of our puppets. He's not supposed to be there. The last ten months have been all about managing and containing a guy who ended up in the Oval Office but doesn't wanna play ball. This is more or less fine by all of us since Trump is a massively dumb rear end in a top hat who wants to say and do dumb rear end in a top hat things so that millions of other dumb assholes will tell him how great he is for it.

But, y'know, it does bode poorly for any Bernie types who would ever, by some miracle, make it that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Baloogan posted:

i think smart phones are bad for us

they're good actually. affordable, portable tools for instantly communicating and accessing information getting into the hands of a shitload of people is very good.

the bad things about phones are problems with consumerism, not phones, imo

• Locked thread