Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Don Piano

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck My Ass

Thank you, very nice I like. For the insanely win sig.

cda

by Hand Knit

twoday posted:

fun fact: a white whale swam up the Hudson River in 1647, all the way to Albany. Whales often managed to penetrate deep into the interior of New York because of the brackish water of the Hudson River. Usually they would get stuck in the shallow water, die, and get eaten by Mohawks.

https://www.newnetherlandinstitute.org/history-and-heritage/additional-resources/dutch-treats/the-white-whale/

Herman Melville was descended from the Dutch colonists of New Amsterdam, and had heard about the white whale as a family story that was passed down.

Love this kind of thing. Thanks for the link mate

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

City of Glompton

I know what you're thinking--even the slow reading club could make it through this pithy gem in two, three weeks,
tops--but I assure you, this will provide several months of lively discussion. thank you for your contribution.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

joke_explainer

Twenty Four posted:

Escalators don't break down, they just become stairs. Sorry for the convenience.

I hate this joke! Sometimes escalators break in a way that means they can't arrest the movement of their belts. If sufficient mass of people view the escalator as safe despite the out of service sign they might cause the entire flight to roll uncontrollably and dump everyone dangerously on top of each other with speed. Mitch Hedberg's lack of understanding of escalators has literally killed people.

Petr
Squeeze of the Hand 4lyfe. Manhuggin in whale jizz YEAH BABY

----------------

Petr
oh there's also that chapter where a guy wears a whale foreskin as a hat, that one might be better

----------------

Petr
or an apron? gently caress I can't remember what a cassock is

----------------

alnilam

woh woah slow down I'm still on the first post

Matoi Ryuko

Call

Matoi Ryuko

Me

Matoi Ryuko

Ishmael

alnilam

Omg please slow down there champ

cda

by Hand Knit

please use spoiler tags

----------------

joke_explainer

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Seriously, though, can somebody catch me up? I hate coming to these things late.

Honestly, you might be too far behind at this point to reasonably catch up. If you can carve out a good 8 hr block of time every evening this week, should be able to catch up independently though.

cda

by Hand Knit
Usher

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxBSyx85Kp8 mods please autoplay

Usher. It's a guy that sounds good. It's a word that sounds good. And it has a real interesting history.

Online Etymology Dictionary posted:

usher (n.)
late 13c., "servant who has charge of doors and admits people to a chamber, hall, etc.," from Anglo-French usser (12c.), Old French ussier, uissier "porter, doorman," from Vulgar Latin *ustiarius "doorkeeper," variant of Latin ostiarius "door-keeper," from ostium "door, entrance," from os "mouth," from PIE *os- "mouth" (see oral). Fem. form usherette is attested from 1913, American English.

The metaphorical association between the mouth and a doorway goes way back, so much so that it's part of a dead metaphor ("cave mouth"). If you take it all the way back to proto-Indo-European, an usher is someone who is in charge of a mouth, a doorway, an entrance. I have a hard time believing that Melville was unaware of this association since it's so apt for a person supplying the meaning and history of words: the mouth is the doorway in the dark through which words enter the world from the underworld of the primal human consciousness where

Moby Dick ch. 41 posted:

far beneath the fantastic towers of man’s upper earth, his root of grandeur, his whole awful essence sits in bearded state; an antique buried beneath antiquities, and throned on torsoes! So with a broken throne, the great gods mock that captive king; so like a Caryatid, he patient sits, upholding on his frozen brow the piled entablatures of ages. Wind ye down there, ye prouder, sadder souls! question that proud, sad king! A family likeness! aye, he did beget ye, ye young exiled royalties; and from your grim sire only will the old State-secret come.

----------------

Petr
Seriously if you guys don't read faster you're never gonna get to the men rolling around in whale sperm/foreskins

----------------

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Petr posted:

Seriously if you guys don't read faster you're never gonna get to the men rolling around in whale sperm/foreskins

my favorite part is when they are up to the elbows in a giant barrel of sperm and absentmindedly caress each other's hands.

Petr

my favorite part is when they are up to the elbows in a giant barrel of sperm and absentmindedly caress each other's hands.

Petr posted:

Squeeze of the Hand 4lyfe. Manhuggin in whale jizz YEAH BABY

----------------

Petr
to be fair it isn't actually sperm but I'm not sure Melville knew that

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
It's good for men to love each other.

Fuck My Ass

cda posted:

It's good for men to love each other.

So I can love you right

cda

by Hand Knit

gently caress My rear end posted:

So I can love you right

Of course.

alnilam

A let's also not forget, to love ou'rselves,

Petr
how high do you have to be to forget to masturbate

----------------

Fuck My Ass

Petr posted:

how high do you have to be to forget to masturbate

the question is how high do you have to be to forget that you masturbated

Piso Mojado

what did I miss?

cda

by Hand Knit
ok I'm a day behind because reading one word a day is a lot of work, so today I will do two

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
to

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

To is a cool preposition because it has both a literal directional meaning (in the direction of) and a conceptual meaning (for the purpose of, in the service of). The conceptual meaning is the one that Melville is employing here.

Online Etymology Dictionary posted:

Old English to "in the direction of, for the purpose of, furthermore," from West Germanic *to (source also of Old Saxon and Old Frisian to, Dutch toe, Old High German zuo, German zu "to"), from PIE pronominal base *do- "to, toward, upward" (source also of Latin donec "as long as," Old Church Slavonic do "as far as, to," Greek suffix -de "to, toward," Old Irish do, Lithuanian da-), from demonstrative *de-.

Commonly used as a prefix in Middle English (to-hear "listen to," etc.), but few of these survive (to-do, together, and time references such as today, tonight, tomorrow -- Chaucer also has to-yeere). To and fro "side to side" is attested from mid-14c.

Using it as a prefix is a fun thing to do and it's a shame we don't do it anymore, but it does explain what today and tonight and tomorrow actually mean, which is "in the direction of day/night/morrow." I'm assuming the Chaucer one is toyear, as in, next year. Toward is another example, literally "in the direction of the direction."

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
a

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

The indefinite article again. Nothing much to say about it here except that without it the sentence would be weird.

----------------

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

cda posted:

In case you are interested, we will reach Ishmael's famous declaration in a little less than 10 years, so if you're just in it for the popular stuff, see you then!

it took me about 4 years to read that drat book

it was good though

----------------

FactsAreUseless

They should have called him Fishmael, because of what the book is about [1]. This would have been extremely Dickensian [2].

[1] a fish
[2] Dickens was a loving hack, remember in school when they made you read all this stupid poo poo about how all his characters names are so meaningful, because they all describe the character, and then J.K. Rowling did the same thing and everyone thought it was so clever, well it's not, it's loving not.

Petr

cda posted:

To is a cool preposition because it has both a literal directional meaning (in the direction of) and a conceptual meaning (for the purpose of, in the service of). The conceptual meaning is the one that Melville is employing here.

Using it as a prefix is a fun thing to do and it's a shame we don't do it anymore, but it does explain what today and tonight and tomorrow actually mean, which is "in the direction of day/night/morrow." I'm assuming the Chaucer one is toyear, as in, next year. Toward is another example, literally "in the direction of the direction."

This analysis of "to" is completely deficient. You don't even mention its use as a verb particle, or how sometimes infinitives use it and sometimes they don't. I'm going to need you to start the book over at the beginning and try again.

----------------

the littlest prince

geez would you guys slow down, I'm still waiting to find out where Mitch Hedberg is going with this grape eating thing.

alnilam

FactsAreUseless posted:

They should have called him Fishmael, because of what the book is about [1]. This would have been extremely Dickensian [2].

[1] a fish
[2] Dickens was a loving hack, remember in school when they made you read all this stupid poo poo about how all his characters names are so meaningful, because they all describe the character, and then J.K. Rowling did the same thing and everyone thought it was so clever, well it's not, it's loving not.

Oh so dumbledlre was supposed to be dumb, it wasn't just me?

alnilam

cda posted:

I always thought this was neat and i love thinking about prefixes whose original meaning isn't quite obvious even if we have quite a few common words containing them, you can look for a pattern in the meaning and try to deduce it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit

Petr posted:

This analysis of "to" is completely deficient. You don't even mention its use as a verb particle, or how sometimes infinitives use it and sometimes they don't. I'm going to need you to start the book over at the beginning and try again.

This was a deliberate choice to leave something to talk about when we run into those usages. I did not want to blow my whole wad, so to speak.

----------------

• Locked thread