Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cda

by Hand Knit
Sometimes it makes sense to half-wad it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

cda posted:

This was a deliberate choice to leave something to talk about when we run into those usages. I did not want to blow my whole wad, so to speak.

:eyepop: masterful...

FactsAreUseless

slow breeding club: mondo dick L.O.L.

Impkins Patootie

Eskimo

posting smiling
the reason i love this thread is because it makes the book so easy to understand, because of all the explanations.

cda

by Hand Knit
Grammar

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

cda posted:

Grammar

"Grammar" is a fascinating word. Melville is using it here in what was a fairly new adaptation of a 14th century definition. Since the late 14th century, "grammar school" was a school for learning Latin, but less than 10 years before, it had adapted in the US to describe schools in between primary and secondary school where English grammar was an important subject. The usage is thus apt on a literal level, but also, of course, evocative of the much broader connotations of "grammar," which relate to the meanings of words and rules for putting them together. It's basically a pun: where would you find an etymologist? In a grammar school! Nyuk nyuk.

Diving into the etymology of "grammar" reveals the magic and the mystery of language itself:

Online Etymology Dictionary posted:

grammar (n.)
late 14c., "Latin grammar, rules of Latin," from Old French gramaire "grammar; learning," especially Latin and philology, also "(magic) incantation, spells, mumbo-jumbo" (12c., Modern French grammaire), an "irregular semi-popular adoption" [OED] of Latin grammatica "grammar, philology," perhaps via an unrecorded Medieval Latin form *grammaria. The classical Latin word is from Greek grammatike (tekhne) "(art) of letters," referring both to philology and to literature in the broadest sense, fem. of grammatikos (adj.) "pertaining to or versed in letters or learning," from gramma "letter" (see -gram). An Old English gloss of it was stæfcræft (see staff (n.)).

A much broader word in Latin and Greek; restriction of the meaning to "systematic acount of the rules and usages of language" is a post-classical development. Until 16c. limited to Latin; in reference to English usage by late 16c., thence "rules of a language to which speakers and writers must conform" (1580s). Meaning "a treatise on grammar" is from 1520s. For the "magic" sense, compare gramary. The sense evolution is characteristic of the Dark Ages: "learning in general, knowledge peculiar to the learned classes," which included astrology and magic; hence the secondary meaning of "occult knowledge" (late 15c. in English), which evolved in Scottish into glamour (q.v.).

We see in the history of the word "grammar" the way that specialized knowledge of language was seen as coincident with a kind of magic: the word "grimoire" is derived from it, for instance, as is the word "glamour," which I did not know but helps explain how the word is used by witches. That's right, I said witches. See, also, "spell," for another example of this. As a guy who likes words, it makes me feel like Gol' Dang Harry Potter to know that the study of signs and letters has always been viewed as powerful and (probably) sexy and also as a good excuse to burn people.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
School)

cda fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 26, 2017

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

cda posted:

School)

School is yet another word with a really interesting history, one in which the original meaning of the word has been bent into peculiar shapes by the march of time. You can go back to the proto-Indo-European root, which means to get, possess, or have power over, and get a sense of how it eventually came to mean a place where students are gathered (as in "school of philosophy").

Or you can look at the Greek meaning of "leisure time" and how that evolved into "shooting the poo poo" (basically) and from there into "place where you bullshit around" and from there, eventually, to its current connotation of, essentially, the opposite. If I had known this when I was a student, I would have been really angry, because I was doing school the right way and my teachers were trying to tell me it was the wrong way.

Melville's version of scholarship is distinctly in line with this older meaning of "school," ("scholar" derives from it and literally means "one who lives at ease"), and the very many whale-related chapters of the book, not to mention Ishmael's entire narrative voice, owe their provenance to a love of idleness and intellectual loving around which are embodied in the character of the narrator.

school (n.1)
"place of instruction," Old English scol, from Latin schola "intermission of work, leisure for learning; learned conversation, debate; lecture; meeting place for teachers and students, place of instruction; disciples of a teacher, body of followers, sect," from Greek skhole "spare time, leisure, rest ease; idleness; that in which leisure is employed; learned discussion;" also "a place for lectures, school;" originally "a holding back, a keeping clear," from skhein "to get" (from PIE root *segh- "to hold, hold in one's power, to have;" see scheme (n.)) + -ole by analogy with bole "a throw," stole "outfit," etc.

The original notion is "leisure," which passed to "otiose discussion" (in Athens or Rome the favorite or proper use for free time), then "place for such discussion." The Latin word was widely borrowed (Old French escole, French école, Spanish escuela, Italian scuola, Old High German scuola, German Schule, Swedish skola, Gaelic sgiol, Welsh ysgol, Russian shkola). Translated in Old English as larhus, literally "lore house," but this seems to have been a glossary word only.

Meaning "students attending a school" in English is attested from c. 1300; sense of "school building" is first recorded 1590s. Sense of "people united by a general similarity of principles and methods" is from 1610s; hence school of thought (1864). School of hard knocks "rough experience in life" is recorded from 1912 (in George Ade); to tell tales out of school "betray damaging secrets" is from 1540s. School bus is from 1908. School days is from 1590s. School board from 1870.

cda fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 26, 2017

----------------

FactsAreUseless

grammar school, more like, grammar's cool

cda

by Hand Knit
more like grandma school

----------------

Starshark
This has inspired me to start a 'slow movie' thread. The slow movie movement is a genuine one, they like to watch movies that, among other things, focus on an air vent for ten minutes or an hour and a half movie with nothing but a blue screen and dialogue. I'll start it after I've watched Rivette's Out 1 a few times.

cda

by Hand Knit

Starshark posted:

This has inspired me to start a 'slow movie' thread. The slow movie movement is a genuine one, they like to watch movies that, among other things, focus on an air vent for ten minutes or an hour and a half movie with nothing but a blue screen and dialogue. I'll start it after I've watched Rivette's Out 1 a few times.

check this one out if you havent https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_(1964_film)

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
or this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_(film)

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
or this guy http://home.utah.edu/~klm6/3905/gottheim.html

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
The

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Teh

Here's the definite article to complement the indefinite article in the previous sentence.

the
definite article, late Old English þe, nominative masculine form of the demonstrative pronoun and adjective. After c.950, it replaced earlier se (masc.), seo (fem.), þæt (neuter), and probably represents se altered by the th- form which was used in all the masculine oblique cases.

Old English se is from PIE root *so- "this, that" (source also of Sanskrit sa, Avestan ha, Greek ho, he "the," Irish and Gaelic so "this"). For the þ- forms, see that. The s- forms were entirely superseded in English by mid-13c., excepting a slightly longer dialectal survival in Kent. Old English used 10 different words for "the" (see table), but did not distinguish "the" from "that." That survived for a time as a definite article before vowels (that one or that other).

Although I previously suggested that articles are simply ornaments of language and not, in most cases, strictly necessary, the successive use does do something interesting to the focus of a scene. Think how often an object is introduced in the indefinite and then subsequently the object is given the definite article, as in these sentences: "A cow wandered across the field. The cow breathed heavily and chewed its cud."

There's no literal reason for this very common transformation. The indefinite article indicates a general case. The definite article indicates a specific instance. But as a reflection of our thought process it makes a lot of sense; objects enter our perception as generalities and then become specific through a particular context. A hammer is just a hammer until you need to hang a picture. Then it's the hammer you're using to hang the picture. It is in some ways the literary equivalent of bringing and object into focus in a film.

We can see this in the PIE antecedent which means "this or that" and which much more clearly shows the indicative nature of the definite article. It is like an arrow pointing at an object to make it stand out from others. Using "this" rather than "the" gives a old-school feel to a sentence. "Once upon a time there was a man. This man was the happiest in all of France," feels more traditional than "Once upon a time there was a man. The man was the happiest in all of France," even they mean precisely the same thing.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
pale

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

"Pale" is an antediluvian vestige, a real trilobyte of a word. It has not changed since proto-Indo-European:

pale (adj.)
early 14c., from Old French paile "pale, light-colored" (12c., Modern French pâle), from Latin pallidus "pale, pallid, wan, colorless," from pallere "be pale, grow pale," from PIE *pel- (2) "pale" (see pallor).

The old and relatively unevolved nature of the word suggests its functional necessity in human experience. For some reason we have always needed a word that means "light-colored," perhaps because it would otherwise require many words to distinguish between similar shades. Easier to say "pale orange" than have to come up with a new word for it, such as

The word is used here to further characterize the usher as the kind of person who does not see the light of day very much because he spends his time in the unhealthy dark.

----------------

posting smiling
i hope the pale consumptive grammar school student kills this loving whale i've been hearing so much about

cda

by Hand Knit
Usher --

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

cda posted:

Usher --

Already seen this word, nothing new about the usage here, but mods please autoplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTJGGXo6gy4

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
threadbare

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

cda posted:

threadbare

This is a nice adjective made by combining a noun and an already-existing adjective, like "careworn" for instance. It is distinct from simply "bare" in that it suggests a thing almost but not completely destroyed, down to the basic structure but still extant. The threads are the skeleton of the fabric, grammar is the skeleton of language, the Usher is a keeper of the bones.

late 14c., from thread (n.) + bare. The notion is of "having the nap worn off," leaving bare the threads.

----------------

Matoi Ryuko

Some

Matoi Ryuko

years

Matoi Ryuko

ago

SniperWoreConverse

IIRC the next word is "boner" but I don't have my copy on hand at the moment.

I have no idea what this word means, to be hones.t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
slowby dick

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

alnilam posted:

A let's also not forget, to love ou'rselves,

cant forget if u never learned how :smith:

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

posting smiling posted:

i hope the pale consumptive grammar school student kills this loving whale i've been hearing so much about

h o p e i s a l i e

cda

by Hand Knit
in

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

"in" is a nicely flexible word, referring to spatial, temporal, and conceptual containment -- you can be in a box, in time, or in trouble -- which allows it to be a great vehicle for zeugma which is how it's going to be used in this sentence. It can also be broader, even, than the meanings attested to by the OED. Consider "Fox in Socks" which is meant to convey not that the Fox, as a whole, is contained by socks, but rather that the concept of this particular fox is inseparable from its wearing of socks. The *concept* of "this fox" is contained within the *concept* of "wearing socks." It is this precise distinction that Seuss' poem turns on, as in "Knox on Fox in socks in box," where the first "in" carries the meaning of inseparable relatedness and the second one the more conventional meaning of "within." See also "Lady in Red" "Venus in Furs" etc.

I was surprised to learn that until Middle English there was no distinction between in and on, although it helps clarify how "on purpose" and "on accident" work conceptually.

in (adv., prep.)
a Middle English merger of Old English in (prep.) "in, into, upon, on, at, among; about, during;" and Old English inne (adv.) "within, inside," from Proto-Germanic *in (source also of Old Frisian, Dutch, German, Gothic in, Old Norse i), from PIE *en "in" (source also of Greek en, Latin in "in, into," Old Irish in, Welsh yn, Old Church Slavonic on-). The simpler form took on both senses in Middle English.

Sense distinction between in and on is from later Middle English, and nuances in use of in and at still distinguish British and American English (in school/at school). Sometimes in Middle English shortened to i.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
coat

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

"Coat" is a hollow word; try an say it in a way that doesn't toll with emptiness. It is thus especially appropriate to give a macabre touch to our already-chthonic Usher.

coat (n.)
early 14c., "outer garment," from Old French cote "coat, robe, tunic, overgarment," from Frankish *kotta "coarse cloth" or some other Germanic source (compare Old Saxon kot "woolen mantle," Old High German chozza "cloak of coarse wool," German Kotze "a coarse coat"), of unknown origin. Transferred to animal's natural covering late 14c. Extended 1660s to a layer of any substance covering any surface. Spanish, Portuguese cota, Italian cotta are Germanic loan-words.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
heart

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

This second item in the list (coat, heart) serves as a zeugmatic transition from the phenomenal to the metaphorical. The sense of heart used here is, I think, not the literal meaning of the organ of the body, but rather the symbolic meaning of "soul, spirit, will, desire, courage, mind, intellect." I can't quite explain why it makes no sense to call a heart "threadbare" in the literal sense, but it makes perfect sense metaphorically -- the Usher's mental and emotional faculties have been worn away through long hours of isolated toil. By using "heart," a word with feet in both the literal and conceptual realms, Melville make a subtler characterization of the Usher -- one that relies on a sensitivity to the semantic flexibility of "heart" -- than he would have if he had said "coat, soul, body, and brain."

Note also the slant rhyme of coat/heart.

heart (n.)
Old English heorte "heart (hollow muscular organ that circulates blood); breast, soul, spirit, will, desire; courage; mind, intellect," from Proto-Germanic *herton- (source also of Old Saxon herta, Old Frisian herte, Old Norse hjarta, Dutch hart, Old High German herza, German Herz, Gothic hairto), from PIE root *kerd- "heart."

Spelling with -ea- is c. 1500, reflecting what then was a long vowel, and the spelling remained when the pronunciation shifted. Most of the modern figurative senses were present in Old English, including "memory" (from the notion of the heart as the seat of all mental faculties, now only in by heart, which is from late 14c.), "seat of inmost feelings; will; seat of emotions, especially love and affection; seat of courage." Meaning "inner part of anything" is from early 14c. In reference to the conventional heart-shape in illustration, late 15c.; heart-shaped is from 1744.

Heart attack attested from 1875; heart disease is from 1864. The card game hearts is so called from 1886. To have one's heart in the right place "mean well" is from 1774. Heart and soul "one's whole being" is from 1650s. To eat (one's own) heart "waste away with grief, resentment, etc." is from 1580s.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
body

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit

I generally expect words with high utility to trace all the way back to proto-Indo-European, so it's surprising that body only goes as far back as Old High German. "Body" is a word that, to me, doesn't sound much like what it means. It's too cramped and mumbly and ridiculous for the thing we spend our entire lives in. Although I guess cramped and mumbly and ridiculous isn't a bad description of your average body in some ways. It lacks sonic dignity.

The OED's discussion of contrasting "body" with "soul" is apt here. It probably explains the sequence of items in this list "coat, heart, body, brain." There's a kind of chiasmus -- a reflective parallelism between the first two and last two items.

body (n.)
Old English bodig "trunk, chest" (of a man or animal); related to Old High German botah, of unknown origin. Not elsewhere in Germanic, and the word has died out in German (replaced by leib, originally "life," and körper, from Latin). In English, extension to "person" is from late 13c. Meaning "main part" of anything was in late Old English, hence its use in reference to vehicles (1520s).

Contrasted with soul since at least mid-13c. Meaning "corpse" (short for dead body) is from late 13c. Transferred to matter generally in Middle English (as in heavenly body, late 14c.). Body politic "the nation, the state" first recorded 1520s, legalese, with French word order. Body image was coined 1935. Body language is attested from 1967, perhaps from French langage corporel (1966). Phrase over my dead body attested by 1833.

----------------

• Locked thread