Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I've sold a few things through MFC personally, but it's not the most streamlined process and has a lot of the craigslist pitfalls of "Oh yeah I'm interested!" and then the person falls off the face of the earth, repeat ad nauseum.

eBay is just a cesspit, unfortunately. It's doubly bullshit because your legitimate listing will just get buried under the cheaper bootleg listings. I know the struggle there.

This holds true for all types of collectibles - I dabble in coin collecting and eBay is notoriously lovely for counterfeits in that field too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Not technically anime merch but I'm gonna post it here anyway
https://imgur.com/a/mjWezhB

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I found uh, a bunch of PriPara nendroids (and a regular figure too) in Japan. Never found a Shion though, so couldn't complete the team.

Dorothy and Leona were actual new, found in Sofmap in Akiba. Sophie was pre-owned without box, and Lala and Mirei were pre-owned in unopened boxes, all three found in Nakano Broadway. It took a lot of browsing around to find these!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That's a good Yotsuba hiding back there

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

nielsm posted:

I found uh, a bunch of PriPara nendroids (and a regular figure too) in Japan. Never found a Shion though, so couldn't complete the team.

Dorothy and Leona were actual new, found in Sofmap in Akiba. Sophie was pre-owned without box, and Lala and Mirei were pre-owned in unopened boxes, all three found in Nakano Broadway. It took a lot of browsing around to find these!

Nice.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
the one piece of idol merch I was truly missing in my life:

it's a clip on wide angle rear view mirror

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Isn't that hazardous? wouldn't you be distracted by Dia while you're driving?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The first step to full itasha always seems so innocuous...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I think this is the most preorders I've had at single time

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wonfes is a month away

Never too early to start stacking my hopes and dreams into the biannual bingo sheet

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Make a working buddies fig

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
If anyone wants stuff from Wonder Festival, I'm going to get some stuff for a friend, so I thought I'd take some other requests too. Send me a PM with as much information as you know about your requests and we'll work something out. The big company requests might be a little difficult but the independent sellers should be easier. You can check #wf2019w on Twitter to see what'll be available.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I got a box!

with things!

Lots of things...
(some of which are for friends)

A good tote bag and some comiket bags that I don't know what I'll do with but they were cheap:

An incredibly good mug:

A set of identical µ's cups that I got just for the pretty coasters to put under my nice µ's glasses from a previous haul:

Misc. mostly Dia merch, including a bunch of coasters I'm in the process of crafting into a more usable form:

And the Dia birthday box:

Also a good Nico shirt and a bunch of doujs, some of which may eventually make their translated way to a yuri manga reader site near you!

A good haul, and Alter NicoMaki should be arriving tomorrow!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It came!

I love it so much.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nice stand ♡

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Not really sure if this is the right place to ask but: has anyone used a PO box for recieving packages? Apparently USPS will hold stuff that doesn't fit in your PO box and I want to buy a bunch of figures this year. There's also one within walking distance.

My local post office is loving terrible and sends most of my packages back to the hub, which is a 40 minute round trip. I bought my first figure last year (needed a signature since it shipped from Japan) and it took several visits before they could find the goddamn thing. Phone suport was useless the entire time, of course

vvvvvvvvv Thanks for the info, but the only other private mail service in my city is UPS and it's $25/month versus the $7ish with the post office, yeeeeeesh

POLICE CAR AUCTION fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 27, 2019

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Not really sure if this is the right place to ask but: has anyone used a PO box for recieving packages? Apparently USPS will hold stuff that doesn't fit in your PO box and I want to buy a bunch of figures this year. There's also one within walking distance.

My local post office is loving terrible and sends most of my packages back to the hub, which is a 40 minute round trip. I bought my first figure last year (needed a signature since it shipped from Japan) and it took several visits before they could find the goddamn thing. Phone suport was useless the entire time, of course

If you have a PO box, they're supposed to put a slip in your box when you get a package, and hold it there at the post office. You take the slip to the counter, and they give you the package. Some post offices have package boxes in the lobby in addition to the regular boxes, and with those they'll put the package in a package box and put the key to the package box in your regular box.

But if your local post office is already crappy enough with what you describe, you might look into renting a box at a nearby private mailing service. For instance, most UPS Store places will rent you a box, and they'll accept any packages (even those sent via USPS or FedEx) for you. It's more expensive than a PO Box, obviously, but the service is bound to be better as well.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

these turned out well, and should be resistant to damage, so I can actually use them without fear

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

So I just took the plunge and ordered my first figure. (Okay, maybe I have a nendoroid or two that I impulse bought but just left lying around in the box.) Is it okay to just... leave it standing on my desk? Is there some kind of proper care precaution I should take?

(I realize this is an incredibly dumb question, but just to be safe.)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Irisize posted:

So I just took the plunge and ordered my first figure. (Okay, maybe I have a nendoroid or two that I impulse bought but just left lying around in the box.) Is it okay to just... leave it standing on my desk? Is there some kind of proper care precaution I should take?

That's what I do with them at least :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irisize posted:

Make sure all the accessories and stuff are stored in the box and the box is stored somewhere where it won't get lost or damaged, and if it's a figma or other reposeable figure, when you're reposing it make sure you're actually reposing it and not just fiddling with it. They're poseable figures but they aren't mean to take on constant wear and tear or anything. Also, be gentle with the stands, they can be a bit brittle. Usually fixable with some glue, but.

Besides that, yeah, it's fine to just leave it sitting on your desk. Maybe give it a gentle wipe down with a cloth or something every now and then for the sake of dust, and don't put it somewhere where it might get knocked over if you move suddenly, but yeah.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Irisize posted:

Thank you for reminding me to finish playing Stella Glow

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

keep em out of the sun

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
do NOT feed them after midnight

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, regular dusting is good, just for aesthetic reasons really.

Keep them out of the sun because direct sunlight has the power discolor plastic quicker than you’d think

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Dusting is a must in more humid climates; sticky accumulations of dust can be more difficult to remove the longer you go between dustings.

Many people with larger figure collections get display cabinets or enclosed shelves, to help keep the dust off. Sure, you just have one now... maybe you'll add another figure... then just one more... and then you have over a hundred.

Oh, and keep the box (and whatever plastic shell may have been inside) if you ever want to sell the figure down the road, as being in the original box is more valuable than without it. It also helps reassure potential buyers that it's not a bootleg.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Okay, thanks for all the advice. The sun definitely isn't something I would have thought of, and I probably would have just thrown the box out straight away.

Now I need to fight the impulse to immediately go buy more.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wonfes happening now

Here's goodsmile's gallery

http://whl4u.jp/wh29/gallery/en/#/

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Interesting product here

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?scode=FIGURE-046295

A small but extremely affordable figure that looks higher quality than a standard prize figure. with how much real figures cost these days, I wonder if GSC will expand this line further.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

My poor Snow Miku arrived with her left foot broken off and it's the only part the connects to the rest of the figure, any MacGuyvers know how to fix a load-bearing part?

I fired off some photos to Good Smile, hopefully they'll replace her but I'd still love to fix this one

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Fair warning- this is the long way to go about fixing this and is a lot of pain to go through but in my opinion it is much better than "glue and pray". Also if you have any machinist friends or a nearby makerspace you can talk with them about either helping you use these instructions or come up with something better.

If I had to fix something like that I would attempt to fix it by using a long screw as a pin (I'm assuming these things aren't hollow). This will be a lot easier if you have access to a drill press, but should still be doable with a handheld power drill if you are really careful. You will want to use a screw that does not have threads that go all the way up to the head, and the total length of the hole you make MUST be longer than the screw.

The first step will be to identify where you want the initial hole to go (presumably roughly the middle of the heel of the foot, biasing towards the middle), as well as what size you need to make that hole. Your goal is to figure out the direction to drill up the foot and into the calf that will have the greatest amount of material on all sides. You will want the hole to be slightly larger than the diameter of the screw's cylinder, but still smaller than the threads.

Using a lot of pictures and measurements, you should be able to calculate the angle that the hole needs to be drilled at. Make a starting notch for the drill to rest in using an exacto knife or a really tiny drill bit (this only needs to go just barely in, and it's best to do it perpendicular to the plane of the bottom of the foot- its only purpose is to keep the larger drill from sliding around and causing problems).

Once you have done this, secure the Miku in such a manner that drilling straight down will enable you to drill the hole at the correct angle. Probably the easiest way to do this would be to secure her in a large plastic cup in the correct orientation. Use plenty of wet paper towels to secure and cushion her head at the bottom, and string to secure her foot position. Put Miku in the freezer until the paper towels are solid. Once that's done, put her back in the freezer and get enough water to fill up the rest of Miku's cup and chill it to 32 degrees F while still liquid. The easy way to do this is to take a pitcher half full of cold water, and continue adding ice and stirring until the ice no longer appreciably melts ( this step will help keep the pour from messing up the frozen paper towels by melting and moving them around).

Pull Miku out of the freezer once more, add the chilled water until the hole's entry point is very slightly above the water, then return her to the freezer. When completely frozen, pull her out and commence the drilling operation carefully, frequently letting up the pressure and pulling back slightly to keep from letting the heat build up to much and allow the plastic to escape. Thaw out the Miku.

The next step is to use a sharpy to indicate the direction of the angle before you drill the base so you don't accidentally get confused. After the arrow, put a dot where the hole is going to be. Double check by holding Miku up to the base. If everything is good, make the starting notch on the base, and then drill the hole.

The penultimate step is called countersinking. If the base is very thin, you may need to thicken the base by making a wooden plate which you will drill through in the same manner as the original base. The goal of countersinking is to keep the figurine from rocking back and forth on the screw's head. Take a larger drill and drill a space large enough for the screws head to recess into.

Once this is done, test fit, and if everything looks good put a couple dabs of glue on the foot and begin carefully screwing through the base and into the leg until the screw lightly snugs up.

Congratulations, you have now successfully repaired a Miku.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 27, 2019

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

That's an overview of garage kit pinning, which is how this is done with kit figures.

That said, this break looks like a nightmare to fix. The swirly blue thing IS the base the figure stands on, and the left foot is up on tip toes right on the edge. The repair is going to show, either the screw/pin whatever or the hole to get it in position.

For reference, here's the figure on MFC.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

TasogareNoKagi posted:

That's an overview of garage kit pinning, which is how this is done with kit figures.

That said, this break looks like a nightmare to fix. The swirly blue thing IS the base the figure stands on, and the left foot is up on tip toes right on the edge. The repair is going to show, either the screw/pin whatever or the hole to get it in position.

For reference, here's the figure on MFC.

Yikes that figure is more complicated than I thought it was.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I appreciate the effortpost but that all sounds WAY out of my league; I wouldn't trust myself to do anything more advanced than putting Ikea furniture together.

Guess I won't have to worry about it though! After sending a couple emails and several pictures, the manufacturer shipped me another one. :toot:

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Lain’s getting a limited time pop up store for its 20th anniversary. dang i wish i could get some this stuff down to Australia. ABe posted on twitter some of the stuff that’ll be there that’s been signed by him and the crew.

https://www.otaquest.com/serial-experiments-lain-chaos-market-pop-up/

https://www.h-messa.com/title/t07lain/

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Expensive year

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

These arrived today (holy poo poo Alter figures look amazing in person):

I'm probably moving soon, so I'll post a couple unboxed pictures once I get settled in

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
nice!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Expensive year

wow your mom lets you have two jeannes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012