Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The X-Men are back! Yeah, fine, they never actually left but they're still back! No more death clouds. No more viruses. No more No More Mutantses. The new X-Men initiative is to bring them back to being prominent heroes in the Marvel Universe. Here's our current lineup of X-Men books going forward.

X-Men: Gold

Writer: Marc Guggenheim
Artist: Ardian Syaf Nope. Nope. Nothing to see here.
Kitty Pryde has moved the X-Mansion right into the middle of Central Park in order to put the X-Men right back in middle of all goings on in the Marvel Universe. Joining Kitty on this team are Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Rachel Summers, and Old Man Logan. Kitty's main objective is to get this team out in public and change the perception of Mutants so that they can be seen as heroes instead of continuing to live on the fringes of the Marvel Universe.

X-Men: Blue

Writer: Cullen Bunn
Artist: Jorge Molina
The time displaced X-Men are stuck in the present, possibly forever. They've tried to go back to their time only to find out they seemingly never left. Does this mean they're from a different reality altogether? Did the past get patched during Secret Wars leaving them an anomaly? Who knows! This team is the original five, Iceman, Beast, Angel, Cyclops, and led in the field by Marvel Girl. And yes they're very picky about using the codenames. Leading them from shadows however is Magneto who seems dead set on making the team live up to Xavier's dream of uniting Man and Mutant in harmony.

Astonishing X-Men

Writer: Charles Soule
Artist: Rotating Team
Soule has stated that this title has a very specific story to tell. He likens it to a mystery or puzzle box where each issue will reveal a new layer of the story. Also saying the book can and will touch on all corners of the X-Men's history. The team for this book is Archangel, Bishop, Fantomex, Old Man Logan, Rogue, Gambit, Psylock, and Mystique.

Weapon X

Writer: Greg Pak
Artist: Greg Land
We get a good and a bad Greg on this book. Maybe it will even out? This looks like a spiritual successor to X-Force in that it has the big meanie Mutants. Featuring Old Man Logan, Sabretooth, Domino, Warpath, Lady Deathstrike, and Mystique. This book is said to pit the team against a revived and revised version of the Weapon X program.

Generation X

Writer: Christina Strain
Artist: Amilcar Pinna
This is a team of misfits even to the X-Men. These are students that either have useless or dangerous powers and are not, and might never be, ready to join the X-Men. Jubilee leads a team consisting of Quentin Quire, Eye Boy, Benjamin Deeds, Nature Girl, Bling, and Nathanial Carver.

Cable

Writer: James Robinson
Artist: Carlos Pacheco
Cable is back and this series is basically being touted as Cable: Time Cop. Cable will be travelling through time righting wrongs as only he can.

Iceman

Writer: Sina Grace
Artist: Alessandro Vitti
This series focuses on the older Bobby Drake as he comes to terms with a lot of what has happened with him personally lately. The realization brought out by meeting his younger self that he's gay and has been hiding it even from himself and coming to terms with the incredible potential he has an Omega Level Mutant.

Jean Grey

Writer: Dennis Hopeless
Artist: Victor Ibanez
Jean Grey struggles to find her place in a new time with all the knowledge she has gained about her downfall and the Phoenix Force. She'll also reach out to others with ties to the Phoenix Force such as Rachel Summers and Quentin Quire.

All-New Wolverine

Writer: Tom Taylor
Artist: Leonard Kirk
This series continues the adventures of Laura and Gabby and shouldn't miss a beat. It's a great time to jump onto a great book if you haven't already!

Old Man Logan

Writer: Ed Brisson
Artist: Mike Deodata Jr.
Jeff Lemire is wrapping up his planned run on the title and leaving it in a great place. The title has been a real surprise for me as it's been consistently great and Lemire really carved out a nice little story for Logan here where he comes to terms with this new world while also closing some old ones wounds from his previous one.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno said the rumors are there's 3 more books to be announced at C2E2 next weekend as well.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Liked Blue even more than Gold. In fairness I love the Juggernaut and this is his first appearance in... quite a while, innit? Jean taking over the role as field leader is pretty drat genius- I mean, she's the one who can read minds; she should in theory be better at directing her teammates and knowing where threats are coming from.
Reading the last page is the first time I really noticed Brisson is taking over OML; I hated Lemire's Extraordinary but his OML was and is consistently good. I've got a lot of faith in Brisson stemming from his criminally cut-short series The Violent even if I'm pretty ambivalent about the Marvel books he's currently writing so fingers crossed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I also liked Blue more than Gold, which is a big compliment because I loved Gold. I didn't read Weapon X because the team doesn't really grab me but it's Greg Pak so even saddled with Land it's probably worth a read once it hits Marvel Unlimited. I've never been a big X-Men fan but a lot of the books have hooks that have me interested. Right now I think from above I'll be picking up Blue, Gold, Astonishing, Cable, Jean Grey, Old Man Logan, and All New Wolverine. I might give the first issue or two of Iceman a try as well. Generation X is also a title I don't really have an interest in but I might also catch it on MU in six months.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is Jubes still a Dracula? She is sure making a weird face on that cover, as if she had just eaten some festival dumplings or something.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
X-Men Blue was fun and I liked it a lot more than Gold, it really felt like it nailed the "Getting back to being heroes thing" a lot more than Gold did, but I guess it had less baggage to sort out so it could jump right into the action. I was most intrigued by the "Coming up in X-Men Blue" teaser page that had the old Generation X team (including Synch and Skin) in their uniforms, wondering what that's all about.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nessus posted:

Is Jubes still a Dracula? She is sure making a weird face on that cover, as if she had just eaten some festival dumplings or something.

Unless something changes between the end of Hellcat and the start of that, then yes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
James Robinson is writing Cable. I figure there will be, at best, three issues before Jim Hammond shows up.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So was that supposed to be Wolverine that was fighting Wendigo at the end of X-Men Blue #1?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Tato posted:

X-Men Blue was fun and I liked it a lot more than Gold, it really felt like it nailed the "Getting back to being heroes thing" a lot more than Gold did, but I guess it had less baggage to sort out so it could jump right into the action. I was most intrigued by the "Coming up in X-Men Blue" teaser page that had the old Generation X team (including Synch and Skin) in their uniforms, wondering what that's all about.

Maybe they get time-displaced too. I think I saw Mondo in there?

Also I thought Weapon X was pretty lifeless as far as Grek Pak comics go. Even with a better artist it would be a lot of generic looking anti-mutant cyborgs running around literally hollaring "DIEEEE MUTANT."

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

What's this about the X-Men artist calling Kitty a jew?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pubic works project posted:

So was that supposed to be Wolverine that was fighting Wendigo at the end of X-Men Blue #1?

That was Jimmy Hudson. From the Ultimate X-Men. He's the son of Wolverine. No clue yet whether he's actually the Earth 1610 version who came to our world through Secret Wars shenanigans or whether it's a 616 version that up until just hadn't been revealed to exist. I'd bet it's more like Miles Morales where his history has kind of been transplanted to happening in the 616 universe.

EDIT: Scratch all that. I just read an interview that is indeed the 1610 Jimmy Hudson. He woke up in our universe with all his memories gone and like the rest of the Blue team is now stuck in a place that isn't his home.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 13, 2017

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I liked Weapon X okay. After reading so many Weapon X series in the past, I enjoy this one changing it up at least a little by having the crew kind of assemble itself instead of the government doing it for them (although Weapon X hunting them is what spurred them into action).

Old Man Logan is pretty disappointing with this new arc. I feel like it's been spinning its wheels for while, but this issue was literally just Old Man Logan porting to different points in his history and then grabbing an amulet, repeat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

What's this about the X-Men artist calling Kitty a jew?

The artist on Gold #1 put in messages supporting some anti-Christian, anti-Jew political movements in Indonesia. Marvel fired him, though his art's on the next 2 issues. He has doubled and tripled down on everything since.

There's also a panel of Kitty in front of a jewelry store sign in it. It seems some people who have only been aware of the headlines and not the details think that's what the controversy was. Rhyno mentioned having a few customers in his store who thought that's what it was.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

That was Jimmy Hudson. From the Ultimate X-Men. He's the son of Wolverine. No clue yet whether he's actually the Earth 1610 version who came to our world through Secret Wars shenanigans or whether it's a 616 version that up until just hadn't been revealed to exist. I'd bet it's more like Miles Morales where his history has kind of been transplanted to happening in the 616 universe.

EDIT: Scratch all that. I just read an interview that is indeed the 1610 Jimmy Hudson. He woke up in our universe with all his memories gone and like the rest of the Blue team is now stuck in a place that isn't his home.

Oh okay. I quit reading Ultimate X-Men around Volume 5 or 6 of the collected editions. Didn't know he had a kid, let alone one with the same adamantium skeleton/claws he has.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Oh okay. I quit reading Ultimate X-Men around Volume 5 or 6 of the collected editions. Didn't know he had a kid, let alone one with the same adamantium skeleton/claws he has.
He's got claws, but are they adamantium? Good question!

Jeph Loeb, folks

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

X-O posted:

I'm pretty loving "bleh" on the idea of yet another Young Wolverine running around when we've already got Rad Girl Wolverine, Fun Girl Wolverine with a Literal Wolverine, Albino Girl Wolverine Somewhat Channeling Penance (hoping they don't sweep her under the rug completely after bringing her back), and uh, what's the status of Tribal Tat Wolverine? OTOH 1610 Jimmy running with Blue Team makes more thematic sense than Laura, and frankly Laura's way better in her solo title.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
You could not pay me to care less about Jimmy Hudson, god knows why they're bringing him over. I'd have much rather they just kept Laura with the Blue team. Speaking of, I am loving this Hank's all new, all different way to be a complete screw up with things he doesn't quite understand and am very much looking forward to a scene with science abusing goat Beast and magic abusing demonic goat Beast.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jimmy Hudson was one of the characters I was really hoping would be brought over, along with 1610 Jessica Drew (I was also kind of hoping 1610 Cloak and Dagger replaced the 616 versions outright instead of co-existing) so I'm happy they did it. I had more than given up hope seeing as how it had been so long. And as said he fits more thematically with the team than Laura does and she's got her own great book going so there's no real reason to add her back to the team.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

X-O posted:

Jimmy Hudson was one of the characters I was really hoping would be brought over, along with 1610 Jessica Drew (I was also kind of hoping 1610 Cloak and Dagger replaced the 616 versions outright instead of co-existing) so I'm happy they did it. I had more than given up hope seeing as how it had been so long. And as said he fits more thematically with the team than Laura does and she's got her own great book going so there's no real reason to add her back to the team.

What's the difference between the two versions of C&D?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What's the difference between the two versions of C&D?

Not much really, but C&D from 616 have pretty much been absent aside from a couple one offs the last decade and I really enjoyed them in the Ultimate Universe so I thought taking the characters that had actually been around and used effectively and transplanting them into the 616 would have made sense. Especially if they were supporting characters for Miles considering they were on a team together with him and Bombshell who did make the jump.

But now that Cloak and Dagger are getting a show I imagine the 616 versions will be popping up in something soon.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
They've been intermittent Spider-Man supporting characters for the past five years or so. They were formally no-takebacks declared not mutants, Cloak cheated on Dagger with an old neighborhood friend who turned out to be a supervillain, Nick Spencer wrote a lovely series about them getting evicted from their abandoned church in the middle of Times Square and Mister Negative swapping their powers to avert a prophecy where Dagger killed him.

Then Mister Negative got them both hooked on drugs again so they'd work as his henchmen.

So yeah, pretty much any revamp/replacement would be a step up.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I really liked Weapon X, so much that as long as Land continues to be incredibly punctual I think I'll overlook his Landness.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I was shocked to not hate Greg Land's art on Weapon X. It's not brilliant, and there were a few moments that were hard to follow, but he actually seemed to be drawing the goddamned book. It's not even so much the tracing that bothered me, though it surely did, it was his complete inability to compose a frame much less a coherent page, but #1 was actually pretty encouraging. I also really like Domino and Warpath and even Sabretooth post-Axis. I'm kind of over the ubiquity of OML but I was fine with him here. Overall this was a much stronger start than I was expecting.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Land's art has definitely improved, even since Uncanny even, which was also a step up. It's still not GOOD art, and a boy does he draw an awful couple of faces in this first issue, but it is at least bearable.

Compare this to his stuff during Gillen or Fraction's runs on Uncanny. That stuff is hideous.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't really read Marvel, is there a reason why Old Logan is on every team just like Regular Logan was before they killed him off? Why make Laura the new Wolverine if they're not going to give her the full Wolverine treatment, i.e. she's on every team and even gets covers on books she's not actually in? Is it just that he's the closest thing to the 'real' Wolverine because that's kinda lovely

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

purple death ray posted:

I don't really read Marvel, is there a reason why Old Logan is on every team just like Regular Logan was before they killed him off? Why make Laura the new Wolverine if they're not going to give her the full Wolverine treatment, i.e. she's on every team and even gets covers on books she's not actually in? Is it just that he's the closest thing to the 'real' Wolverine because that's kinda lovely

In your heart, you know the answer to this. Hint: it's that despite all the handwaving to the contrary, comics still mainly caters to basement trash, and they want their Wolverine to be a grizzled old man, not a young girl. I think it's lovely, but I'm also not the target comics fan.

On the continued front of not being able to have nice things in 2017, it looks like the X-Plain the X-Men is taking a break at the end of the month. Can't say it's a surprise since half the team is moving to the opposite coast, but I do think that there's pretty good odds of the podcast either not coming back in three months or else having different hosts. Sucks, but I'm sure someone else will step up to do the 90s stuff, since it's at least fun to riff on.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I'm just waiting for Old Man Logan to get some sort of magic serum or treatment or some cosmic parallel universe poo poo to happen and he de-ages back like 60 years. I'd actually be okay with something like that, but still keep Laura as Wolverine. Just re-title Old Man Logan to Logan.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

purple death ray posted:

I agree. I'm not mad that Laura isn't everywhere, because she wasn't near as good in ANXM as her solo, I can only imagine what she'd be like in Champions, and also did you see Land's attempt to draw her in that splash page in Weapon-X? Learn how to draw more than one face, haircut, and body type, Greg.
But putting Old Man Logan on every book they want a Wolverine in totally diminishes her as a character of importance as much as saying "Sure, toots, call yourself Wolverine. Unless the elderly alternate-reality Logan decides he wants to be called Wolverine, then we're gonna call you Lady Wolverine, alright?" Despite taking on the official mantle, they've already turned her into the Batgirl to OML's Batman (but he's like one of the replacement Batmans? I don't know, I don't read DC so you don't need to pick apart this comparison for me).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Land can draw as many faces, haircuts, and body types as porn provides.

Hell, you're talking about the same Greg Land that drew Sue Storm with multiple haircuts on the same page!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Logan is easy to write. Laura isn't.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, at this point, I think Laura works better if she's off in her own corner trying to figure things out. Logan also seems to be mostly starring in stories that revolve around his connections to other X-characters (as dubious as the concept might be), while Laura is some kind of stabby brand ambassador to the rest of the Marvel Universe.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

rkajdi posted:

On the continued front of not being able to have nice things in 2017, it looks like the X-Plain the X-Men is taking a break at the end of the month. Can't say it's a surprise since half the team is moving to the opposite coast, but I do think that there's pretty good odds of the podcast either not coming back in three months or else having different hosts. Sucks, but I'm sure someone else will step up to do the 90s stuff, since it's at least fun to riff on.

Having gotten to listen to the announcement finally, I'm actually not too worried about the future of it. Even without the life changes Jay and Miles are undergoing, they've earned a break but nothing about it sounds permanent; it's so much a part of their lives it just doesn't seem like the sort of thing they'd walk away from easily.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

rantmo posted:

Having gotten to listen to the announcement finally, I'm actually not too worried about the future of it. Even without the life changes Jay and Miles are undergoing, they've earned a break but nothing about it sounds permanent; it's so much a part of their lives it just doesn't seem like the sort of thing they'd walk away from easily.

Yeah, the fact that they kept the podcast running without a break through a loving divorce (albeit an amicable one) is a testament to the fact that the will is there. The three month gap really seems like 1 month for them to get settled in and figure out how to run a cross-country podcast, and 2 months of well-deserved time off that they should have taken already.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, I guess it's just me being pessimistic.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, I guess it's just me being pessimistic.

Maybe, maybe not. Very few group projects survive a split up of the hosts - even one as amicable as theirs. I sincerely hope they do continue because it's one of the few podcasts I actually listen to religiously. It looks like Miles will be doing a Thor podcast during the hiatus with Elisabeth Allie which I'm looking forward to. Despite not really being into Thor, the two of them have always had great chemistry together when she's filled in for Jay - so I'll probably enjoy it. If I had to wager a guess, post-hiatus I'd say we're getting Miles and Elisabeth X-Plain the X-Men.

Edit:

X-O posted:

Astonishing X-Men

Writer: Charles Soule
Artist: Rotating Team
Soule has stated that this title has a very specific story to tell. He likens it to a mystery or puzzle box where each issue will reveal a new layer of the story. Also saying the book can and will touch on all corners of the X-Men's history. The team for this book is Archangel, Bishop, Fantomex, Old Man Logan, Rogue, Gambit, Psylock, and Mystique.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about Fantomex at all? I've just never enjoyed the character.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 19, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nah, I don't like Fantomex either.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Fantomex is a big stupid head.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He actually rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Endless Mike posted:

He actually rules.

Yeah Fantomex is cool and y'all are uncool.