Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
So, I finally finished Enemy of the State II after an unexpected free day, and man, those Wolverines sure do know to to drown a baddie, am I right?

Anyway, this still might be my favorite Gambit gag in a while, though I never read that last X-Factor series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Roll that beautiful bean footage

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The beauty of that joke is that 1) there's no reason beans would be more effective with his powers than anything else, and 2) it can be repeated in later comics and will only get funnier.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Well obviously each bean also gets kinetically charged and so does whatever liquid said beans are packed in so it's like loving cluster bombs of kinetically charged legumic devastation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Has Gambit ever realized that he could just pick up a bunch of dirt?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

I'm sure he's done it at some point, but a classy member of De T'ieves Guild would never sully his hands like that on the regular.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jedi posted:

Maybe, maybe not. Very few group projects survive a split up of the hosts - even one as amicable as theirs. I sincerely hope they do continue because it's one of the few podcasts I actually listen to religiously. It looks like Miles will be doing a Thor podcast during the hiatus with Elisabeth Allie which I'm looking forward to. Despite not really being into Thor, the two of them have always had great chemistry together when she's filled in for Jay - so I'll probably enjoy it. If I had to wager a guess, post-hiatus I'd say we're getting Miles and Elisabeth X-Plain the X-Men.

Edit:

Am I the only one who doesn't care about Fantomex at all? I've just never enjoyed the character.

She has a great voice too, which has always been the best thing about Jay & Miles, both hosts had voices that didn't grate with that nasal nerd whine. I mainly listen to podcasts while going to sleep, so that's a big bonus in my book.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Aphrodite posted:

Yup and he's also charged a giant rear end fun loving mutant to take out Worthy Juggernaut but that failed

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Edit: Aphrodite's right. My bad.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 20, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think Soonmot is referring to the Elisabeth Allie mentioned in there.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was talking about Elizabeth.

EDIT: Don't worry about it, I don't get upset about being called out when I gently caress up, it's the only way to improve.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Soonmot posted:

EDIT: Don't worry about it, I don't get upset about being called out when I gently caress up, it's the only way to improve.

The most polite argument in the history of the internet.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The thing I love most about X-plain The X-Men is how we'll edited it is, there are no "um"s or pauses that are not left in on purpose and the contents are so well-planned. There are so many other podcasts I can't listen to because they're just so loving rambling and unfocused.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

rantmo posted:

The thing I love most about X-plain The X-Men is how we'll edited it is, there are no "um"s or pauses that are not left in on purpose and the contents are so well-planned. There are so many other podcasts I can't listen to because they're just so loving rambling and unfocused.

Yeah, the 'explaining' format is infinitely superior to the 'reaction' format that 99% of these type of shows use. I've started listening to a Buffy podcast and the hosts are funny and everything, but it's all 'and then… and then…'

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Jedi posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't care about Fantomex at all? I've just never enjoyed the character.
He was really great in Remender's Uncanny X-Force. Every other appearance of his that I've ever read has made me wish that every character from that book was only ever allowed to be in that book and vanished out of continuity when it ended.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

rantmo posted:

The production values, and post production work, are top notch. Hell, the fact that they even have a separate producer puts it miles ahead of a lot of other podcasts.

NorgLyle posted:

He was really great in Remender's Uncanny X-Force. Every other appearance of his that I've ever read has made me wish that every character from that book was only ever allowed to be in that book and vanished out of continuity when it ended.

I will concede this point. However, I'm not sure if he was great in it, or if the series was so great that it elevated the character.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

I'm personally keeping my fingers crossed and hope alive that both of them come back post-hiatus and the podcasts keeps on clipping away at the '90s. They're both great, but Jay has single-handedly delivered some of my favorite analogies and perspectives, from Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried to Jacob's Ladder.

I wouldn't sneeze at a Miles Thor-ner or Elizabeth and Miles X-Plain the X-Men but I would miss that dude dearly.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

By the way, after reading the open chapter of Immune, I'm not against the new uniform based off her X-Force history and practicality (even if I prefer her as a superhero in the blue and gold,) but man I mis David Lopez doing interiors. Kirk is really doing this book no favors as a jumping-on point.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

datingvolcanoes posted:

By the way, after reading the open chapter of Immune, I'm not against the new uniform based off her X-Force history and practicality (even if I prefer her as a superhero in the blue and gold,) but man I mis David Lopez doing interiors. Kirk is really doing this book no favors as a jumping-on point.

I also miss Lopez (and Marcio Takara!) but while Kirk will never be one of my favourite artists, he is very consistent and a totally solid storyteller, which the artists post-Lopez and Takara struggled with noticeably at times. (Hopefully) no more constant chopping and changing of artists will be very welcome on All-New Wolverine.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, the 'explaining' format is infinitely superior to the 'reaction' format that 99% of these type of shows use. I've started listening to a Buffy podcast and the hosts are funny and everything, but it's all 'and then… and then…'

Yeah, this is the real thing. The series is plot synopsis, but it's not done in order lots of time but instead in a way that makes the explanation a lot more listenable, especially when there's an A & B plot running through multiple issues.

I'm actually super interested in how the Thor podcast turns out, with the pair up of a new and veteran reader. I think it has legs, and it certainly works for Titan Up the Defense.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

Metalshark posted:

I also miss Lopez (and Marcio Takara!) but while Kirk will never be one of my favourite artists, he is very consistent and a totally solid storyteller, which the artists post-Lopez and Takara struggled with noticeably at times. (Hopefully) no more constant chopping and changing of artists will be very welcome on All-New Wolverine.

You know what else is super welcome to the book? No more Kimura or Trigger Scent. My two prayers for Enemy of the State II were answered. I know it was her equivalent to "seeing red", but feral Logan was also the most boring Logan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So the X-Men panel ended with no new announcements, I guess.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
This may be a silly question, but what's the order of series here? UXM vol 2, Wolverine and the X-Men, UXM Vol 3, All-New X-Men Vol 1?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

datingvolcanoes posted:

You know what else is super welcome to the book? No more Kimura or Trigger Scent. My two prayers for Enemy of the State II were answered. I know it was her equivalent to "seeing red", but feral Logan was also the most boring Logan.

Same here. I didn't even mind trigger scent but Kimura was a pretty lame villain. Why the hell do you need to torture an obstinate little girl when you can give people Luke Cage powers willy nilly. Still glad to see some growth with the character on both ends.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pubic works project posted:

This may be a silly question, but what's the order of series here? UXM vol 2, Wolverine and the X-Men, UXM Vol 3, All-New X-Men Vol 1?

There are no silly questions about reading order for X-books, what you mentioned sounds rightish, but there's like 4 crossovers that involve a poo poo ton of other X-books and Avengers vs X-Men before you get to All New X-Men.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If someone wanted to do the Herculean task of coming up with an agreed upon order to all the recent X-Men stuff since like I guess New X-Men or something I'll add it to the OP. But I don't recommend it because it'll probably cause a brain bleed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also those books ran mostly in concurrent pairings, not in sequence.

It mattered less before AvX but afterwards both were written by Bendis and did kind of expect you to keep up with both.

All New started before UXM 3 though so you'd have to figure out with which issues they became synced.

X-O posted:

If someone wanted to do the Herculean task of coming up with an agreed upon order to all the recent X-Men stuff since like I guess New X-Men or something I'll add it to the OP. But I don't recommend it because it'll probably cause a brain bleed.

Nah, that's easy.

New X-Men, skip to Astonishing, skip to Spider-Man and the X-Men, skip to Blue and Gold.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I wouldn't skip Wolverine and the X-Men. Maybe All New X-Men prior to Battle of the Atom, and X-23 starting with 4 and All New Wolverine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's actually not that hard because we can just steal it.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/x-men-155/guide-to-reading-x-men-comics-1727695/

This seems decent for the modern era? It skips the bad parts of New X-Men and Astonishing so they seem to know what they're talking about.

Just I wouldn't consider Wolverine and the X-Men in the 2005-2012 section optional.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Wolverine and the X-Men should be required reading until you personally feel the quality dropping, at which point you can stop whenever because it never really recovers from the slow decline. Everyone should at least get to the Allred Doop issue, though, because it is a standout.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just read Spurrier's X-Men Legacy and X-Force

WATX was a bit hit and miss. You could probably get by with reading all of it except the Circus arc because gently caress those terrible issues. Everything else was pretty good iirc.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

Speaking of All New, etc, can anyone give me a quick hit on how Warren (TRN240) is now super rich again? The last I heard 616 Angel was declared incompetent by the board.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also what's the deal with the original 5 now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're around, and can't go back.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm breezing through AvX, Uncanny volume 3, and All New X-Men volume 1. AvX was meh but the other two are fantastic.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's an Excalibur sale on Comixology so last night I bought the first 25 or so issues of it, RIP my wallet this month.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

YouҀ™re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

irlZaphod posted:

There's an Excalibur sale on Comixology so last night I bought the first 25 or so issues of it, RIP my wallet this month.

Did you get all the ones by Alan Davis? His run finishes up claremonts subplots and is Fucken awesome. How is the Ellis stuff?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

No I just bought up to the end of the Cross-Time Caper. There are some fill-ins after that, then both Claremont and Davis return before Claremont leaves for good. Davis takes over as both writer and artist I think then, like you say (although iirc he doesn't do the art for every issue - I could be wrong though).

I've never read as far as Ellis' stuff but it's supposed to be decent.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

Here is my The-Only-Excalibur-Issues-You-Should-Read-Reading-Order

Claremont/Davis:
Excalibur Special Edition (aka: The Sword is Drawn)
Excalibur 1–11
Mojo Mayhem
12–19, 21–25, 27, 32–34
---------------------------
Davis:
42–52, 54–58, 61–67

Issues skipped are dumb useless fill-ins that should just be tossed into a bin.

And yes, check out the Ellis run too.
83–86, X-Calibre 1–4 (AoA), 87–94, X-Man 12, 95–103, Pryde & Wisdom 1–3

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Did you get all the ones by Alan Davis? His run finishes up claremonts subplots and is Fucken awesome. How is the Ellis stuff?

Excalibur #50 is one of my favourite single issues ever. Probably my second-favourite. (My favourite is New Mutants Annual #3.)