Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm imagining Shooter sending Claremont a strongly-worded letter explaining that no, he can't include a scene where the robot changes the X-Men's nappies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Naw, Peak Claremont is during Asgardian Wars when Amora captured Illyana, and uh...stuff happens.

http://imgur.com/a/rNSMO

I don't think this is where Magik became my favorite of the New Mutants, but I hope its not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

Naw, Peak Claremont is during Asgardian Wars when Amora captured Illyana, and uh...stuff happens.

I don't think this is where Magik became my favorite of the New Mutants, but I hope its not.

Since her first trip to Limbo there's no important part of Illyana's history that isn't, at best, problematic.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Kalli posted:

You don't say.

Here's a chunk of that sequence minus the parts where you get flashbacks to Storm revealing she was raised as a thief:

I think the most crazy part of that sequence was Storm casually mentioning that she retained full photographic memories going back to infancy and had possessed full, object-permanence sapience even as a baby, or something similar. I think Claremont was setting Storm up to be revealed as an actual goddess or demi-goddess for a while there.

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't Kitty Pryde also get mystically reduced to infancy by a Japanese wizard during one of her Wolverine team-ups?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Didn't Kitty Pryde also get mystically reduced to infancy by a Japanese wizard during one of her Wolverine team-ups?

Yeah, and later Storm apparently and comes back as a child. And with Illyana/Magik her whole origin story is she was a six year old hanging out with her older brother Colossus, until she get's sucked into hell and ages 7 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean with Claremont it's more like who wasn't reduced to infancy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, and later Storm apparently and comes back as a child

This was also the second time a robot named Nanny infantalized the X-men.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

This was also the second time a robot named Nanny infantalized the X-men.

dude, it was literally on the last page and spawned this whole line of discussion

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

Since her first trip to Limbo there's no important part of Illyana's history that isn't, at best, problematic.

Yea I tend to focus more on current, slightly crazy lady with a big sword, Magik.

I do miss her bangs though.

Teen Storm is also what introduced Gambit. Though he wasn't skeevy to her, just noticed her natural ability at theeving. Even thought Gambit is like the bar on 5th street, they don't ask for ID, and nether does Gambit, ya hear?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Don't you besmirch the name of Gambit, best big brother figure in the X-Men.

...how old was rogue supposed to be?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

twistedmentat posted:

I think Peak Claremont is when he created a team of super-villains where each member's powers corresponded to one of Claremont's fetishes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

RandallODim posted:

IIRC, she was meant to be a sheltered 18 when she went to Xavier for help.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

RandallODim posted:

Don't you besmirch the name of Gambit, best big brother figure in the X-Men.

Yeah I'm about to fight someone! Early Gambit is best Gambit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wanderer posted:

IIRC, she was meant to be a sheltered 18 when she went to Xavier for help.

Which I find weird because the first time I know I saw her was when Wolverine and the then depowered Ms Marvel go to the Pentegon and run into her

She sure as hell looks older than 18. My guess is she just got younger as she drained more peoples abilities. Or the artists wanted another hot redhead on the team, and every time she was drawn she grew younger until we got the Jim Lee Bombshell Rogue that we all know and love.

Gambit is more bearable in his early appearances, but he's still the herald of the 90s.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

twistedmentat posted:

Which I find weird because the first time I know I saw her was when Wolverine and the then depowered Ms Marvel go to the Pentegon and run into her

She sure as hell looks older than 18. My guess is she just got younger as she drained more peoples abilities. Or the artists wanted another hot redhead on the team, and every time she was drawn she grew younger until we got the Jim Lee Bombshell Rogue that we all know and love.

Gambit is more bearable in his early appearances, but he's still the herald of the 90s.

I think Wanderer was thinking of movie Rogue. I always figured comic Rogue to be about the same age as the original five, and she spent some time rolling with Mystique before she put on the X, so she would have been way past 18. Her relationship with Gambit was the least skeevy thing about him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, reading her original stuff she's definitely older than say, Colossus. Early 20's at the youngest when she first starts hanging with the X-Men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They should bring back Excalibur, but with the subtitle being "Coalition of Chaos."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

They should bring back Excalibur, but with the subtitle being "Coalition of Chaos."

Excal, X-Force and X-Factor were all supposed to be announced at C2E2. The X-Men Gold bullshit gave them cold feet so they're all delayed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, reading her original stuff she's definitely older than say, Colossus. Early 20's at the youngest when she first starts hanging with the X-Men.

She certainly de-ages over her appearances though.

Excalibur would be great to see again. Though I don't know if they could capture the pure craziness of the Claremont series. Though I'd hope they'd be smart enough not to try to replicate that, and let it be its own thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Captain Britain's always struck me as a bit of a stodgy old Tory. He'd be supportive of strong and stable superheroics.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

twistedmentat posted:

She certainly de-ages over her appearances though.

Excalibur would be great to see again. Though I don't know if they could capture the pure craziness of the Claremont series. Though I'd hope they'd be smart enough not to try to replicate that, and let it be its own thing.

Give it to Al Ewing. That amazing Daredevil riff in the Rocket book this week felt like it was pulled straight out of Excalibur.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Either Al Ewing, Kieron Gillen or Paul Cornell for Excalibur. And as for the artist, Alan Davis would be ideal, but since he doesn't do so many interiors these days, Richard Elson.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Excal, X-Force and X-Factor were all supposed to be announced at C2E2. The X-Men Gold bullshit gave them cold feet so they're all delayed.

If you're talking about the issue with the original artist, that's a shame because it's a solid book and the new artist is so much better than the first.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Wolverine spoilers: Daken? What? When did he come back to life, lose an arm, regrow an arm, and become not evil? I'm so confused.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Cabbit posted:

Wolverine spoilers: Daken? What? When did he come back to life, lose an arm, regrow an arm, and become not evil? I'm so confused.

He was given a life seed by the Apocalypse Twins, I believe. He, Sunfire, Banshee, and one other person I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sentry is the other one.

And it was Grim Reaper instead of Sunfire, Sunfire isn't dead.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 14, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Sentry is the other one.

Oh that's right! Sunfire was on the Uncanny Avenger team then. It's been awhile since I've read v1 of that series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sunfire is in that story and also seemingly dies but he survives as an energy being.

Then he gets his body back by his next appearance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Sunfire got both his legs chopped off by Lady Deathstrike and died, but first got Rogue to take his powers permanently so she could bring Deathstrike to justice, and then for a while Rogue had Sunfire's powers permanently?

Did Sunfire's younger sister (Sunpyre) ever appear again after the Eve of Destruction storyline from immediately before Morrison and Quitely took over the comic?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Cabbit posted:

Wolverines. The last book Laura and Daken were in together before Secret Wars

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when Sunfire got both his legs chopped off by Lady Deathstrike and died, but first got Rogue to take his powers permanently so she could bring Deathstrike to justice, and then for a while Rogue had Sunfire's powers permanently?

Did Sunfire's younger sister (Sunpyre) ever appear again after the Eve of Destruction storyline from immediately before Morrison and Quitely took over the comic?

Didn't Apocalypse restore Sunfire? And he even got his AOA appearance in the deal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Sentry is the other one.

Then Grim Reaper got bonked with a cookie pan on the head and buried in a backyard. :allears:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

So has Magneto returned to his old power levels now after his run-in with the Phoenix in AvX? I'm currently reading his series that runs through Axis and he's pumping himself with MGH.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Apocalypse restore Sunfire? And he even got his AOA appearance in the deal.

I'm not sure - a lot of late 2000s X-Men is a bit blurry to me. I only really know about that because I remember it was one of the first things I read on Wikipedia in maybe 2005 (?) or so.

How did Rogue get her Carol Danvers powers back? I remember she lost all her powers in X-Treme X-Men, then she had Sunfire's powers, then there's a bunch of stories I never read and the next one I remember with Rogue in it (would've been Claremont's third run before and during House of M) she's back to normal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/875030875636989952

Well that thread title didnt last long.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Wheat Loaf posted:

How did Rogue get her Carol Danvers powers back? I remember she lost all her powers in X-Treme X-Men, then she had Sunfire's powers, then there's a bunch of stories I never read and the next one I remember with Rogue in it (would've been Claremont's third run before and during House of M) she's back to normal.

If I have it right, they're the same powers but not from Carol, they're from Wonder Man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Simon just pop out of Rogue in a recent Uncanny Avengers?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
She just vomitted out Wonder Man after kissing Deadpool a few months back

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Uncanny Avengers they did one of those Rogue takes everyone's powers to fight a big bad guy thing. Because Wonder Man is his powers he got absorbed into Rogue and they couldn't get him out after.

He eventually got out by Rogue copying Deadpool's healing which let Wonder Man heal himself back into existence, somehow. She got to keep the powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Soonmot posted:

She just vomitted out Wonder Man after kissing Deadpool a few months back

Pretty sure that's how most people would react to kissing Deadpool.