Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Jedi posted:

Is it the same one that has Quicksilver explaining why he's always so pissed off? If so, also one of my favorites.
Pietro Maximoff Syndrome. The best.

rkajdi posted:

I think Number One Fan was in a different issue. This one was all in the heads of the characters. It's the ultimate talking heads issue, but I don't think you can really criticize it for the usual critiques that get lobbed at say Bendis.
In its defense, that book came out in ninteen-ninety-loving-three. We were a good seven years away from when Bendis was Bendis-ing all over a mainstream Marvel comic.

I dug Peter David' run out of my comic boxes a couple of years ago, and I was struck by A) how much more uneven it was than I had remembered, and B) how contemporary it felt in tone and pacing. It was really operating on a level of wry self-awareness that's basically become the new normal for internet-era comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Pietro Maximoff Syndrome. The best.
In its defense, that book came out in ninteen-ninety-loving-three. We were a good seven years away from when Bendis was Bendis-ing all over a mainstream Marvel comic.

I dug Peter David' run out of my comic boxes a couple of years ago, and I was struck by A) how much more uneven it was than I had remembered, and B) how contemporary it felt in tone and pacing. It was really operating on a level of wry self-awareness that's basically become the new normal for internet-era comics.

I'm a Bendis fan and don't mind the talking heads stuff. I just find it funny that people are willing to give this issue a pass while complaining about the latter.

And yeah, PAD X-Factor was the best X-Factor. I think it's pretty telling that David was able to parlay his under two years of the original series into a very long run in volume 2, which was effectively just a continuation of the tone and style of his first with a dramatically similar cast. I think that got him to the point that he has written a majority of all X-factor issues period now. If I was smarter as a kid, I'd have been trying to find the other books he was doing at the time. But I was dumb and penciler-oriented like every kid of the 90s.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bendis does go back to that well pretty often (and is far more ubiquitous than PAD was even at his peak output), so it's a bit more noticeable. I can certainly see the complaint, though I rather like Bendis.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The art in X-Men Blue fell off a cliff this week, holy poo poo.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Cabbit posted:

The art in X-Men Blue fell off a cliff this week, holy poo poo.

Oh, good - I thought it was just me. Writing is still solid though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Bastion, Emma and Ms. Sinister near the end right? Who's the red one?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Aphrodite posted:

Not sure, though I think the other three are all right. Maybe like Danger with a red color scheme? I can kind of see her dreads in that, but she's not exactly an existential threat to the X-men.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rochallor posted:

Maybe like Danger with a red color scheme? I can kind of see her dreads in that, but she's not exactly an existential threat to the X-men.

I don't think it's Danger because where she's sitting doesn't fit, but at the same time, the character, as drawn, isn't ringing any bells either.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Aphrodite posted:

What if it was Apocalypse in a new host body? I mean, that dude never dies...even when he dies...

Who was that that Sinister was operating on?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

pubic works project posted:

Who was that that Sinister was operating on?

The uniform looked like Quicksilver's to me, but the art was so lovely who even knows? Could Evil Glowing Eyes be the return of the Shadow King maybe?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

rantmo posted:

The uniform looked like Quicksilver's to me, but the art was so lovely who even knows? Could Evil Glowing Eyes be the return of the Shadow King maybe?

I was thinking it was Quicksilver too!

I was also thinking that it was probably one of the Marauders since clones of them are everywhere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So I guess we can assume we're not actually supposed to know who that 4th one is yet.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Aphrodite posted:

So I guess we can assume we're not actually supposed to know who that 4th one is yet.

That's obviously the answer, but...

The grammar of the scene suggests to me that if they were supposed to be a mystery, they'd be the last one introduced. Having it be A, ?, B, C is a weird order to put it in. If it went A, B, C, ? I don't think anybody would even be concerned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess they wanted to hit Emma on the worst among them part?

Also that must be alternate Quicksilver they just fought in the bar when they recruited Jimmy. Although the uniform then had short sleeves.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Well it looks like it's supposed to be a woman, which I infer chiefly from the hair. The red outfit only makes me think of Rachel's hound outfit but nothing about that makes any sense. Oh, maybe it's M/plate? The science lab bedroom setting doesn't suggest anything to me either.

Aphrodite posted:

Also that must be alternate Quicksilver they just fought in the bar when they recruited Jimmy. Although the uniform then had short sleeves.

It could just be a clone, it is Sinister after all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I googled around and it does seem to be Monet. Emplate possessed her during Bunn's Uncanny run, which I didn't read.

I figured it couldn't have been meant to be a reveal, or reviews/discussions would mention it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I googled around and it does seem to be Monet. Emplate possessed her during Bunn's Uncanny run, which I didn't read.

I figured it couldn't have been meant to be a reveal, or reviews/discussions would mention it.

Yeah, it was not a great run but that's mostly because it was Greg Land at his worst and so it was exceptionally hard to follow (for me at least.)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Oh that's right! But I thought she just popped up in Generation X?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pubic works project posted:

Oh that's right! But I thought she just popped up in Generation X?

She did.

But she was also on an earlier Blue splash page of upcoming enemies, so who knows. Crossover arc?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's the X-Men Books/Stories in Legacy

All New Wolverine #25 - Orphans of X
Astonishing X-Men #7 - A Man Called X
Cable #150 - The Newer Mutants
Generation X #85 - OG Gen X
Iceman #6 - Champions Reassembled
Jean Grey #8 - Psych War
Old Man Logan #31 - The Scarlet Samurai
Weapon X #12 - Nuke-clear War
X-Men: Gold #13 - Mojo Worldwide Part 1
X-Men: Blue #13 - Mojo Worldwide Part 2

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Those are some enticing titles. Might have to get back into X-Men.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are they counting mini series in the renumbering?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is anything even renumbered there outside of Gen X and Cable? Astonishing isn't, Weapon X isn't. Is OML?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Holy poo poo people were not kidding about the art in Blue.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

irlZaphod posted:

Is anything even renumbered there outside of Gen X and Cable? Astonishing isn't, Weapon X isn't. Is OML?

With Weapon X, isn't there just the AoA book? That's only a couple issues and not really related to the current book. OML is the same thing; the original arc was published under the Wolverine heading and including the Secret Wars series only gets you another five issues, which is probably a small enough boost to be legit confusing.

I'm more surprised that they're keeping Blue and Gold the same, given that they're basically straight continuations of All-New and Uncanny, respectively. You could even throw the original run of The X-Men in with Blue if you wanted.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

No there was a Weapon X book which ran for about 20 issues in the mid-Oughts I think. Frank Tieri wrote it iirc.

Here it is: http://marvel.com/comics/series/543/weapon_x_2002_-_2004

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
It had a series of minis before the ongoing started. I don't remember it being bad either. It started out with some interesting things, including "The Director" who was obsessed with taking down Weapon X because Wolverine maimed his face during the initial Weapon X breakout. I never read the actual ending of the series so I'm not sure how much gets resolved in the end. I can say without a doubt it was the only comic I ever read that featured Kane and made him interesting.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tato posted:

It had a series of minis before the ongoing started. I don't remember it being bad either. It started out with some interesting things, including "The Director" who was obsessed with taking down Weapon X because Wolverine maimed his face during the initial Weapon X breakout. I never read the actual ending of the series so I'm not sure how much gets resolved in the end. I can say without a doubt it was the only comic I ever read that featured Kane and made him interesting.

I honestly think that how it ended was not in the main series but a limited series set in the future. (This is all from memory so large chunks of it may be wrong.)
They did a Days of the Future Past type thing where the Weapon X program got so big and sentinel focused that they took over the world and put everyone in concentration camps. And it was being run by John Sublime, I think.

In the end they try to send Wolverine's mind back in time to stop it, but he get's killed. So they have to send the Director back in time to do it. But they screw up and send him back in time to when he's a guard in the original Weapon X breakout. And he get's to relive his face mauling.

Edit: It was called Weapon X: Days of a Future Now.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm finally getting around to reading all of the Claremont X-Men run. Greatly enjoying it.

Just wanted to say that Mastermind is the loving worst. Shaw isn't a Nazi and im not sure why Kevin Bacon was cast as this dude. The Hellfire Club is amazing, and I love it.

That's it for now!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sebastian Shaw is at times a dick, and other times is pretty awesome.

Claremont's X-Men is great, the stuff from around the time Secret Wars takes place onwards is a real rollercoaster of plot threads building up before finally getting paid off. Sure some of them get dropped for a while before being brought back to get resolved but for the most part it's really well constructed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

Just wanted to say that Mastermind is the loving worst. Shaw isn't a Nazi and im not sure why Kevin Bacon was cast as this dude. The Hellfire Club is amazing, and I love it.

That's it for now!

Fun fact(s): the Hellfire Club as portrayed in the comic is based on an episode of The Avengers and Mastermind's appearance is based on Peter Wyngarde, who played the villain in said episode; the character's name combines Wyngarde's surname with the forename of his most famous character, Jason King.

The other major members of the Inner Circle were likewise based visually on and named for actors who were popular in the 60s and 70s: Sebastian Shaw is Robert Shaw; Donald Pierce was Donald Sutherland; Harry Leland was based on Orson Welles and named after Harry Lime); Emma Frost is a bit of the odd one out, but I believe she's named for Emma Peel.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It should be noted for anyone unaware, but "The Avengers" mentioned above is a 60s British tv show and nothing to do with the Marvel comic. :v:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Also for those unaware, the Hellfire Club is a real thing.
They have their origins as a gentlemen club in Victorian times and were more about men having sex with brazzers rather than world domination.

They have a club in the Wicklow mountains. I have never been there but I believe it's less building robot genocide machines and more a place to drink.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a very odd phase of the Hellfire Club in the comics leading up to the Mutant Massacre where they become an actual supervillain team and start wearing really dorky-looking costumes. I suppose they were easier to draw than the Regency costumes.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I am so here for this: http://comicbook.com/2017/07/05/marvel-legacy-x-men-mojo-worldwide-cullen-bunn/

I read all the Mojo stuff I could find on Marvel Unlimited recently and had a great time. The original Longshot mini is so good; Ann Nocenti just wrote such a unique comic and Ricochet Rita owns.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Uncanny X-Men 137...holy loving poo poo. I started with giant sized X-Men and then read 94 to here. This is the best single comics issue ive read in a long time.

These issues are dense. Like modern comics would turn of these single issues into mini series for sure.

Another Claremont takeaway. Marvel Canada is terrifying.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I can't stop laughing right now. Marvel Canada is hilarious!

They had to make a LAW!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Snowbird is thirsty for a shot of Logan

Please keep posting your impressions of Claremont's X-Men. :) It's awesome to read about someone experiencing it for the first time.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Norns posted:

I can't stop laughing right now. Marvel Canada is hilarious!

They had to make a LAW!

Are you listening to X-Plain the X-Men? They go arc by arc through the mutants stuff starting with the reboot. And boy do they make hay out of "Marvel Canada is some crazy country full of intelligence agents and demons" along with lots of other good in-jokes (see: butte sex) while giving some pretty good notes from people (or at least one of them) who does work in the industry and looks at a lot of the way the art is done on the issues.

And, yeah, early Claremont X-Men is incredible. Really, the series is at its best during Dark Phoenix, but is still very good all the way through Claremont's departure right after the launch of adjectiveless. You are going to want to start reading New Mutants and X-Factor when they start up. The first few issues of the latter are rough, but once Simonson gets on-board things get better very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

No, but that sounds like something I want to listen to!

I've read Morrison's New Mutants before and love it. I'll check out X-factor.

Morrison's run and the 90s cartoon was really all i had dipped into before this.