Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wilderness survival is something anyone who spends real time outdoors should know a thing or two about. I took a course for my degree which was learning hard and soft skills for an emergency overnight in the Canadian backcountry in February. We were then driven out to a wilderness park in the mountains and left to spend the night alone with only enough supplies to fit in a coffee tin, a liter of water, and the clothes on our back.

We had to fast for 24 hours and then were given a mock emergency scenario to respond to in the morning, which proved to be a shitshow because we were so tired and starving. But a good learning experience on how difficult it can be to comprehend an emergency situation and think of solutions when you're not in your best shape.

If you take part in backcountry adventures, it doesn't hurt to take some time to do some learning in the event you might need it someday. And admittedly, there's a lot of really cool stuff out there that wouldn't really apply to you, but it's still awesome to learn about!

I love the Youtube channel Primitive Technology.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA/videos

They post a lot of fantastic bushcraft of everything from weapons to traps to containers to houses. It's only been active for a year but post frequently, so I expect many more videos in the future.

For people to follow, you can never go wrong with Ray Mears. He's my favourite wilderness survival guru by far. Les Stroud is my second.

So go ahead and post videos, resources, stories, favourite people, any and all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

We watched so many Ray Mears video in my survival class. There's no drama, no lovely sensational music to create tension, and very little fakery for ratings, unlike some celebrity survivalists out there.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It is actually annoying how there's this exoticism of Native people being so magically in tune with the planet to the point they're essentially viewed as these mystical demigods that have secret knowledge of the planet that the White Man just needs coaching in order to tap into as well. I know a lot of non-Native people who almost obsess over the beautiful and mystical Native people to the point of idolatry and honestly it's kind of creepy. My great-aunt will sometimes share posts from a Facebook page called "I love Native People" and it's pretty hosed up because it's seriously objectifying and putting these people on this pedestal of, as said so many times, mystical creatures rather than human beings.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

What

• Locked thread